Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with adding some color
kazzam08
November 19, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Here is my sofa/sectional and I need some advice on a few things. Heres what I am thinking. I thought about adding a white shag rug with an expresso coffee table that I found on overstock. I would love to accent a couple of walls and need some throw pillows for color. I have opted for more of the grays to get away from the beiges I am used to, but I am having a hard time with choices to make my new home cozy, comfortable and contemporary. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Oh and by the way, I am eventually going to get some window coverings. These are the temp. paper blinds. I am thinking just white on those too? Help!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Nancy Hehmann
Love your sectional. You might want to look at Capel.com or Target.com. They have great area rugs. You might want to consider adding some color via an area rug. Then pull a color from it for your throw cushions. But if you want to keep everything neutral, white would look great as well. Turquoise or light blue could be a choice for you cushions. Etsy.com is a great place to get decorator cushions. Just input what you would like in their search engine such as cushions turquoise or whatever you would like. Etsy is a collection of craftsman and artisans from the US, Canada and all over the world. You can actually ask each shop owner questions too. I have a photography shop on there too, nancyhehmann is the name of it. Etsy is a great place to get all sorts of unique items. I have several great shops saved under my favorites if you go to my shop.

If you choose to change your window coverings, JCPenney.com have a large selection and there are some on the Pottery Barn site.

Keep us updated with your changes. Have a very Happy Thanksgiving!
November 19, 2012 at 6:30AM   
PRO
Joanne Jakab Interior Design
I feel your real quandary is can you strictly follow a design trend you love in the magazines?
White will not add warmth however it will be chic. Add the white and live with it for awhile. Select some monochromatic but bold accent toss pillows and stack some interesting coffee table books and shimmery objects on the chocolate brown table. Jonathan Adler andBarbara Barry have many rich natural fabrics that would add sophisticated layering to your home. Shifting to a whole new design direction can take some time. If you don't like it then add more colourful accents and ease back into colour. Love to see your finished room.
November 19, 2012 at 6:46AM     
jtoole624
I have a sectional that is very similar. Same shape and color. I painted my walls Zircon from Sherwin Williams which is a warm grey and I made the wall with the fireplace an accent wall in a dark eggplant. It doesnt darken the room at all bc it is on a wall with two windows and a fireplace so the dark paint is just convering a small portion. I then got several unmatched throw pillows to bring out the eggplant. Lots of purple shades including lavender, eggplant, bright purple, etc and in alot of conteporary designs such as chevron, striped, and trellis. I also have a huge round silver mirror on one wall and a large framed canvas of "The Kiss" by Gustav Klimt which brings in yellows, browns, taupes and just several different muted colors so that everything isnt all purple. Looks great...you could try something similar in your favorite color. I like the turquoise opinion above! I also bought an area rug from o.co in a chevron design but they sent the wrong color, light blue and ivory. So I have that down for now since I was too lazy to return in and the blue looks fine with the other colors. I will probably replace later though. I love the idea of a white shag rug, but since your walls are so neutral and your floors are also very light, it might not have the effect you are looking for. Good luck!
November 19, 2012 at 6:48AM     
Natalie
Hi---so far so good. It is nice and on the way to being quite sophisticated. I think a darker rug to contrast with the floor is in order. Beautiful abstract photography and intricate beaded/sequin pillows... All monotone colors... Hope this is helpful. Good Luck! http://www.etsy.com/listing/82743007/fairy-land-throw-pillow-covers-20x20?ref=sr_gallery_42&ga_search_query=sequin+pillows&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_page=2&ga_search_type=all http://www.etsy.com/listing/98823362/giclee-archival-print-photomontage http://www.rugsusa.com/rugsusa/rugs/rugs-usa-peacock/beige/200SBFG02B-508.html
November 19, 2012 at 7:17AM     
PRO
Peridot Decorators, Inc.
I agree with Carolina. Starting with a rug and taking your color ques from there is a great way to add color and detail which will create a cozier feeling space. I have attached some examples you may find interesting from crateandbarrel.com. I've included a few neutrals as well as colored rugs I feel will work well. Also, when considering your window coverings, another great place to add color and pattern to create that cozy feel you are looking for, move your sofa forward so that it is lined up under the window so that your new window coverings frame your sectional. Also, regarding the espresso coffee table you found, I would suggest using a different material other than wood. It looks like you already have a few wood accent pieces. Maybe iron, glass or a combination of the two would look interesting and contemporary.

Have fun with it. Your place looks great. You're on the right track.
November 19, 2012 at 7:31AM     
kazzam08
Thank you Carolina. I so agree with adding color with the area rug but it is my husband that thinks he is the decorator in the house. I actually did go on Etsy and found some pretty pillows and their prices are good. I am definitely on a budget. I did find some really nice and bold colorful area rugs at Home Depot but my husband is still insisting on shag white. We'll see. I have received a lot of great helpful comments and I am going to show him all of them.
November 19, 2012 at 9:31AM     
kazzam08
Natalie, love love the peacock rug and beaded pillow idea. Not sure hubby would agree but I do love it. Fun and kind of funky. I actually thought about incorporating some different purples in this room cause it is so close to my kitchen and my granite has a few pops of purple/plum in it. It is Bianco Romano.
November 19, 2012 at 9:39AM     
decoenthusiaste
Did anyone suggest homedecorators.com - great for rugs and accessories!
November 19, 2012 at 9:42AM     
nevadan
Your furniture has a lot of texture, so no shag rug please. Use a warm deep gray for the walls and accent with the color family of rose to magenta. Stay away from pattern in such a small room. Rug should be a light color - a grayish beige. Roman shades to match your walls.
November 19, 2012 at 10:08AM   
kazzam08
Thank you nevadan. I don't know these kind of things when it comes to deocorating. Textures to stay away from. The room is actually not real small. It is just angle I took the pic. There is an entertainment center to the right (which I am selling) so didn't want to include that in the photo.
November 19, 2012 at 11:20AM   
PRO
Joanne Jakab Interior Design
Husband's as decorators are good news and bad news. There are many women who would love to have a husband who is invested in how the home looks because the truth is those husbands will always spend more money on the home too. It's great that he cares about the home and wants input but it can seem to be difficult for the two of you to both be happy. I have a professional and proven solution that I use to help my clients work together. It's based on honest communication and listening and it works every time. First pick a time that's not hectic for either of you and then sit down and ask your husband "How do you want to FEEL in this room?" .....the secret is to actually wait for him to answer and to be quiet if he talks for 5 minutes without stopping.
I have had to put more women's jaws back in place after they have the experience of finding out how much the home really means and how their husband perceives the home through his eyes. Information is power. And, once you know and he knows you know then you can express how you want to feel. As you know the design elements or "stuff" help to create the feeling. I assume your husband wants to feel dashing 007 sexy & sophisticated, young and successful. He doesn't want a home that looks look like he lives in the suburbs or very traditional because that doesn't meet his upwardly mobile vision.
Of course this is my opinion based on conjecture because I am judging from the furnishings and your note and not any true interview but I would love to know what he tells you.
November 19, 2012 at 11:40AM   
kazzam08
Peridot Decorators, thank you for your input about the coffee table. This is another thing my husband and I have gone round and round about. He is so matchy match and I thought it would be too much wood too. What do you think about a white leather ( or fake leather in my case) ottoman? on top of a colorful rug? I am planning on moving the couch forward also when I get rid of my entertainment center. We are going to hang a flat screen on the wall with a contemporary cabinet below to hold the electronics. This is going to open up the right wall you can't see.
November 19, 2012 at 12:00PM   
PRO
Peridot Decorators, Inc.
I see from your picture you have white bar stools so using a white faux or real leather ottoman on a colored rug would work nicely. I don't see using a white ottoman on a white rug when you are wanting to infuse some color into your space. Another option to consider would be an acrylic coffee table. With an acrylic table you could go in any direction you wanted with the rug, white shag or colored rug. Food for thought.
November 19, 2012 at 3:57PM   
kazzam08
Peridot Dec~ I am open to looking at an acrylic coffee table but I am not sure where I would even look for one? When you say acrylic, do you mean a hard plastic? Like white? I am definitely going to look for a colored rug with colors I like and then pop the pillows in from there. I really kind of like the peacock rug and purple beaded pillow Natalie sent me. What do you think about some purples and maybe some gold with that?
November 19, 2012 at 4:31PM   
Niamh Courtney
There are lots of similar tones going on in your room, which are lovely but do need an injection of accent colour. A cheap and cheerful way is through cushions and an odd ornament or planter. Suite looks greyish, so purples or deep pinks lovely in winter and pale aqua or light turquoise great in summer. With the purchase of a few cushions you will have a different room, suiting the mood, cozy for winter and light for summer. The Laura Ashley catalogues are great for ideas & NEXT home directory. Both have similar sofas and you can see how the change of cushions can cheer up a room.. Your space is lovely. I like contemporary rooms like this.
November 19, 2012 at 5:04PM     
kazzam08
jtoole624~ I would love to see a pic of what you did with your family room. Is there one on here that I could see. Like your color choices and would love to see the eggplant on the wall. This is embarassing but my walls have been painted twice already. I didn't them and decided to go with a very neutral tan. They look white but they are actually SW Natural Tan. Old color was Agreeable Gray, which I hated, it looked to green.
November 19, 2012 at 5:06PM   
Nancy Hehmann
The only thing I think might help if you want a little color is to get some decorator mags and show them to hubby. They usually do have the neutral colors but then add a "pop" of color to add the wow factor. But, your home does look great. It is just a suggestion. I always try to think drama. And you know what my home has items that my hubby has placed in the living room that I really do not like. But then he calls the living room my "do not touch room" - in a disdainful voice. So it is all about compromise. We are redoing a bathroom and I will admit he hauled 4 big boxes of tiles to the BR and I have now decided they are not just the right color so "bless his heart" ( I live in SC, southern phrase you know) he has agreed to haul them back and order a different color (even more expensive - marble)

Link below is to high def photography of French Chateau which is gray
It can be enlarged to any size you want and even printed on canvas. It is from my photography shop. Many other items of course and I have more on many more on my computer including some from Charleston SC which is now the #1 tourist destination according to Conde Naste Travel mag. https://www.etsy.com/listing/106442045/french-chateau-used-by-kings-before

Have fun most importantly. It is only life!
November 19, 2012 at 5:35PM   
judianna20
Upper West Side Residence

This a very high end room, but i am posting it because i think you need a bigger rug to warm up the entire space. Then add your splashes of color and window treatments, as suggested above. I like the warmer gold/yellows.
Yaletown Loft
November 19, 2012 at 5:43PM     
doc4addy
When I look at this room (which is very pretty!) I see blacks, wines, and whites.
November 19, 2012 at 5:49PM     
PRO
Peridot Decorators, Inc.
Attached below are a few acyrlic coffee table examples. I was thinking clear to keep it neutral would work well with a colored rug because it allows you to see through to the design. Google "images acrylic coffee tables" click on the photo you like and it will take you to the seller. I can see the peacock rug and pillow working with your sofa, not sure your husband will like it. I'm not seeing gold right now, but that is not to say you couldn't use gold. If you want to use gold, bring it in somewhere else in the room like in the drapes or art. Select fabric or art that has a mix of all the colors represented in your room. Example attached.
November 19, 2012 at 6:03PM     
kazzam08
Wow these are very pretty high end homes. I just found this pic on Crate and Barrel website and I do like the softer yellow in this rug and I love love the fluffy white pillows (I think they are the mongolian lambs fur) along with some of the taupe/brown ones. I do like this!
November 19, 2012 at 6:06PM     
PRO
Peridot Decorators, Inc.
Forgot to mention. Mustard looks great with purple. May want to consider that in place of the gold.
November 19, 2012 at 6:09PM   
PRO
Peridot Decorators, Inc.
Saw your post about the Crate and Barrel rug. That's the one I sent you earlier. Notice how well the clear coffee table works.
November 19, 2012 at 6:10PM   
kazzam08
Love it, love it!!!! so does hubby.
November 19, 2012 at 6:16PM     
PRO
Peridot Decorators, Inc.
Awesome... Enjoy!
November 19, 2012 at 6:21PM   
charleee
I do like the colors in the rug and art from CB, but the colors in the rug are just a little dull, no? Whereas the colors in the art are bright and vibrant.
November 20, 2012 at 3:22AM