Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Kitchen Reno
ilau1
November 19, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Please excuse the mess, We were thinking of getting a black granite countertop and reface the cabinets to a different color but were not sure which color to choose?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
nevadan
Concentrate on improving configuration. Most people want to see the kitchen sink under the window. Main kitchen sink in island is very awkward for prep and cleanup. White electric range looks bad. You seen to have quite a bit of space and could use it lots better.
November 19, 2012 at 10:16AM   
PRO
Dytecture
Black granite goes well with white cabinets if you want to go with a "safe" design route.

November 19, 2012 at 10:22AM     
houssaon
While the sink doesn't have to be under a window, I agree that the island needs improvement. Would you be able to add about one foot of countertop to the the right of the sink? (Right - from the perspective of looking at the sink.) This looks like an open concept kitchen what does the adjoining room look like?

This light grey would look good: Kitchen 1. Of course white: Wm. F. Holland/Architect/projects. Black and light tan would be dramatic: Kitchen 2.
November 19, 2012 at 10:26AM     
apple_pie_order
This looks like the kitchen is the heart of the home, combined with the room adjoining. Young kids have a lot of things.

I think the whole kitchen redo would benefit from assessing whether you have appropriate storage in it. The pot rack indicates that you don't have good storage space convenient to the stove. Some adjacent cabinet might be reconfigured with pull out shelves, such as the one to the left of the stove.

Have you decluttered your kitchen cabinets in the last year? Kids get bigger and don't need the same plastic items, for example.

Black countertops are a pain to keep looking good. Something lighter and more variegated would be attractive and easier to keep looking nice.

As for cabinet style or color, try pulling out a drawer to find the manufacturer's name inside. Then look at their website to see what you like. Find a showroom near you and go take a look. Swapping doors and drawer fronts in the same manufacturer's line can be easy if you have standard (not custom) size cabinets without face frames (your cabinets do not have face frames).

You might consider using an over-the-range microwave/hood combo to save space if you intend to replace appliances.
November 19, 2012 at 1:30PM     
psychdoc49
I would suggest that if you are keeping the island as is, adding on a second higher level would be an excellent way to block dishes from view. You could add some narrow tall shelves or cabinets to the back of the island and then use the new black granite on both surfaces. You'll have more storage with relatively little expense or loss of space in the rest of the room. I also second the use of a combined microwave and venting system. It will provide you with the potential for additional counter space or even some shelving to help with storage issues.
November 19, 2012 at 2:57PM   
rhea60
A shiny black countertop is not practical unless you want to constantly maintain it. Also, I went with dark granite and can't always see where the smudges are until I'm seated. Matte finish is the way to go or a lighter countertop so you can instantly tell where your mess is left behind. Also made the mistake of getting a black sink. Had to wax it all the time so the water spots did not show. Learn as you go or use Houzz!
November 20, 2012 at 7:31AM   
olldcan
I'd start by reconfiguring the cabinets I had, just a bit. Look like a door front that's common so to add a few more units shouldn't be a problem. From the picture, it would appear that you could use another bank of drawers or two. White cabinetry and black granite always look fresh and clean. A hot, clean micro-fibre cloth can do wonders for the high shine on the black.
November 20, 2012 at 7:53AM   
Lyn
I had a granite worktop "starburst"- and agree with rhea60 above.
November 20, 2012 at 1:27PM     
decoenthusiaste
Had a baker friend who had to have black countertops - never could get all the flour up!
November 30, 2012 at 8:24AM     
PRO
Mary Dancey Interiors
Please be careful of matte or honed finished counter tops. There is research that suggests the hills and valleys created in solid service counter tops to have the matte/honed finish are bacteria traps. It might explain the challenge decoenthusiaste's friend has with the flour.

You have plenty of great suggestions above but I'd like to add that if you see a more intensive kitchen renovation in your future that painting your cabinets right now is a great way to change it up without a huge input of money but also consider using a laminate counter top in a dark colour as a test to see if you like this option. You could also consider painting your cabinets a dark brown, change the handles and leave your counter tops as is.

It looks like you could benefit from some better storage solutions as well.
November 30, 2012 at 8:45AM     
PRO
A Kitchen That Works LLC
Dark countertops will required increasing the quantity and intensity of the lighting in the kitchen due to the absorptive nature of dark objects, so make sure you include funds in your budget for more lighting or consider going with a lighter colored countertop. Agree with Mary, stay away from honed or matte finishes as their maintenance requirements may tax you and your family.
Consider the fact that refacing cabinets will not improve their functionality, only their appearance. As another poster pointed out, it is apparent you are short on storage. If you remove the soffit and replace the cabinets (at least the uppers) you will gain more storage and functionality.
November 30, 2012 at 8:55AM   
PRO
A Kitchen That Works LLC
Dark countertops will required increasing the quantity and intensity of the lighting in the kitchen due to the absorptive nature of dark objects, so make sure you include funds in your budget for more lighting or consider going with a lighter colored countertop. Agree with Mary, stay away from honed or matte finishes as their maintenance requirements may tax you and your family.
Consider the fact that refacing cabinets will not improve their functionality, only their appearance. As another poster pointed out, it is apparent you are short on storage. If you remove the soffit and replace the cabinets (at least the uppers) you will gain more storage and functionality.
November 30, 2012 at 8:55AM   
More Discussions
House repaint
Please help! We have recently purchased a new weekend...
Solar vs. Propane Generator backup
Which is the better investment for a homeowner in the...
Should I Paint My Cabinets White?
Our kitchen needs an update, we are considering changing...
Area Carpet size
I am trying to buy a carpet for this room and while...
Suggestions for bathroom mirrored medicine cabinet
Replacing large mirror over double sink vanity with...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.