Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
How good does Bamboo look?
Lyn
November 19, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Just went shopping for new kitchen worktop and discovered a new addition to the solid wood ranges- Bamboo. Has anyone got experience of using this please? It looks great to me, but I'm worried it might be mistaken for plywood by the uninitiated! My pictures show two styles from two stores.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
nevadan
This is so gorgeous. No one could mistake it for plywood.
November 19, 2012 at 10:28AM   
PRO
Kitchen Art of New England LLC
I have installed it many times for flooring... the only complaints I have heard with the "natural" color is that it shows every little drop of liquid.... Just so you know. :)
November 19, 2012 at 10:45AM   
Lyn
Thank you. I guess if I feed it oil (olive oil or groundnut oil) it might help protect the surface?
November 19, 2012 at 10:53AM   
gdr252
totally looks like plywood. Skip it.
November 19, 2012 at 11:08AM   
Aja Mazin
Durability?
November 19, 2012 at 11:12AM   
Lyn
The bamboo in the display kitchen had a varnish finish with a few dints, which didn't put me off but the sample in the other two pictures was unfinished.
November 19, 2012 at 11:16AM   
moonblue
We have just installed bamboo cabinets in our renovated kitchen. We chose a darker finish (rich walnut) on caramelized bamboo (the bamboo is darkened before staining). It looks wonderful to us! The edges are very appealing and we chose a thick bar counter in the same bamboo to take advantage of the layered look of the edges. It only needs wiping with a damp cloth (no waxing, ammonia or kitchen cleaner). If you choose it, take advantage of the lines to accent vertical or horizontal movement.

Only had it a month or so, so can't speak to it's durability, but the final surface finish is probably the same as wood.
November 19, 2012 at 11:31AM     
oaklands
agree with gdr252...it does look like plywood..skip it
November 19, 2012 at 11:58AM   
ggdrive
Our vacation home was flooded after Hurricane Irene last year, and I have been researching since we realized we had to demolish and then rebuild. My 1st choice for our kitchen countertops is bamboo, for a number of reasons, including it is eco friendly. In person, or in the pictures for that matter, I don't think it looks anything like plywood. If anyone is confused when they see it, you can always explain, and impress them with your knowledge, and as with any other style choice, they can like or not like. If you like it, that's what is important. Enjoy!
November 19, 2012 at 1:25PM   
PRO
HSG CONSULTING INC
bamboo is very durable, becoming popular as kitchen and bathroom cabinet material as well. only time will tell but I would say it's a good choice and I think it looks great, enjoy it,...
November 19, 2012 at 1:31PM   
victorianbungalowranch
Consumer Reports recently rated countertops and bamboo came out very poorly, especially for water resistance. Recommended for light use only.

Recycled paper countertops are also eco-friendly and do somewhat better in the ratings. Quartz, and granite came out the highest in most catagories. Formica did well too. Perhaps the bamboo could be used on an island and something more durable by the sink.
November 19, 2012 at 1:43PM     
mpoulsom
Personally I don't think I would use it as a countertop....My floors look exactly like your 2nd pic. I love the bamboo for flooring. We spill things all the time in the kitchen and I have yet to see a water mark/stain. I think the main thing with bamboo is that you cannot let it sit there and soak in for a long time. I did have a potted plant in the living area that I over-watered once. Had no idea that the water was just sitting under the pot....thought it was screwed, but after it dried (took a while), it is no longer visible. FYI
p.s. it does dent, but not to a degree that bothers us. Looks like people live there is all.
November 19, 2012 at 2:02PM   
Lyn
Thank you everyone. I was sorry to hear about GGDrive's misfortune with the flood but really enjoy hearing all your opinions.
I had granite in my previous house and it looked gorgeous but from a practice point of view, it cooled the food quickly if you didn’t remember to use a cork placemat and is very cold if you lean on it to chat over a cup of coffee. It was also tricky to keep shiny, despite the special granite polish. Quartz is pretty too but both options cost more than I paid for the base and wall units.
I saw a very impressive and economical Formica with oak woodblock finish, but was hoping to have a KARNDEAN wooden style floor and having read the discussions on HOUZZ, think the two would fight each other. The kitchen is small by USA standards and in a U shape with satin white units.
Shall I
A)emphasise a Spring Oak Karndean floor and find plain Formica (slate pic) or
B)have the oak effect Formica worktops (see oak pic) and chose a slate tile effect Karndean floor?

Lyn, Dorset, UK.
November 19, 2012 at 2:30PM   
mpoulsom
I think the slate pic would be great for your counters (one on the left)...so I vote for option A
November 19, 2012 at 2:36PM     
moonblue
We have bamboo cabinets with soapstone counters. However, our breakfast bar is bamboo. We are thrilled with the cabinets, but I wouldn't have a bamboo counter again. Even with very gentle use, there are tiny visible dents. It can be wiped clean, but I wouldn't want to do any kind of active cooking on it.
July 11, 2013 at 10:08AM   
PRO
Granite Transformations
Have you seen recycled glass countertops before? They could be a good option if you're looking for something different from granite, quartz or wood counters.

Check out ours here- http://www.granitetransformations.com/southjersey/products/recycled-glass-countertops/colors/

White Star and Cosmic Brown our usually favorites. They're scratch, heat and stain resistant.

Hope this helps!
July 11, 2013 at 10:18AM   
More Discussions
Looking for someting to go on the wall in my dining room
Looking for something that does not compete with the...
Various types of upholstery chairs
After its successful invention, the next focused by...
Ceiling fan pre-wiring dilemma!
Hi, I am choosing positions for ceiling fan pre-wires...
TV wall
Need ideas on things for my TV wall
Kitchen Remodel - Warm White or Arctic White subway tiles?
Good Morning Houzzers! I am currently in the process...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.