Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help with furniture layout
Nicky McIntyre
November 19, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Hi - This is our lounge room that is currently being finished. I am just wanting some suggestions on how to best layout the furniture as the room is rectangular and the front door enters into the space.The space is not square in one corner as a old chimney has been plastered off. I would like to create a space that doesn't mean that people walk through the space in front of the TV. We are not committed to our furniture as we will need to replace the 3 seater couch at some point but we do have 2x arm chairs and would like to hang TV on wall. The room is 3.6mt x 5.7 mt (from Australia) or 11.8ft x 17ft. The paint colour on the wall is Dulux stowe white and the house has some art deco type features. Any suggestions would be great.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
houssaon
I would put the TV on the diagonal wall. If you can fit the sofa in the area of the window, I'd put one there. Then I would put one or two chairs on the wall with the door and one chair on the opposite wall. Add some floor lamps and a end table and lamp between the chairs. You could also put a sofa table beind the table for lamps and objects. Big art on the walls and a colorful rug to tie it all together.

Even though people can come to the fron door, I don't think it will be a major source of traffic into the room while you are watch TV.

Good luck!
1 Like   November 28, 2012 at 7:42PM
Nicky McIntyre
Thanks will try it out and when we move in I will post some pics. Its great to hear other suggestions.
0 Likes   November 28, 2012 at 8:46PM
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
Below I've drawn two possible layouts for your lounge. In drawing A you need not walk directly in front of the TV to get through the room, but I sure do prefer drawing B where you, heavens forbid, have to walk in front of the TV to get to the next room. Twenty lashes for anyone who disturbs your TV watching!
2 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 7:13AM
Nicky McIntyre
Thanks for your drawings. The door is actually on the wall where the TV is in B. i agree B looks more practical. My husband would agree with the 20 lashes especially when sport is on!!
0 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 12:14PM
charleee
If walking straight into the living room from the front door bothers you, you can create a foyer with a sofa table: [houzz=
]
1 Like   November 29, 2012 at 12:36PM
wmpj
I'd suggest placing the TV on the wall opposite of the door. The couch can then be placed in front of the televion. This will give you the space you need (at least 3 feet between the couch and the wall where the door is) to create a pathway from the front door to the other door. A runner can be put there too to define the pathway. You can then put your chairs on either side of the couch or put them in front of the window.
2 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 3:28PM
PRO
RoomHints
Hey! If you still need help with the layout of your room. Download RoomHints app (www.roomhints.com/app) and get a 3D visual floor plan design to understand exactly how to design this space!!!
0 Likes   October 3, 2014 at 1:49PM
Angel18432
RoomHints, why don`t you stop commenting the same old comment on very old posts.
0 Likes   October 3, 2014 at 5:49PM