Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Would you paint this fireplace white?
jennlehr
November 19, 2012 in Design Dilemma
looking for advice before i take the plunge!!! and yes i am stuck with that awful white wood painted bookshelf and NO there is no brick behind there.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Emily Hurley
Hi Jennlehr, I know I'm going to get it for this, but I would. I love painted brick. That said, it's a hugely controversial topic. Lots of people are against painting brick if it can be at all avoided.
November 19, 2012 at 5:24pm     
jennlehr
I know thats why i m asking first!!!
November 19, 2012 at 5:25pm     
PRO
Dawn Hearn Interior Design
I think painting it white would make the room look lighter and larger. You might even consider the ceiling beams too. If you can cut the angled desk(?) portion out of the bookcase and add more standard shelves that would be nice. Check these out: http://www.diynetwork.com/decorating/hot-fireplace-design-ideas/pictures/page-5.html http://www.fromtherightbank.com/2010/10/will-i-go-straight-to-hell-if-i-paint-my-brick-fireplace/
Good luck!
November 19, 2012 at 5:25pm     
judianna20
Would paint it white and change the line of the mantel. Remove all the shelving and install a long, narrow mirror. Or put your t v there. I would also get rid of the fan and get a fun, large chandelier. For the correct size, add the length of the room to the width of the room, into inches and that is the correct size ceiling light. so 12 x 14 = 26 feet so a 26 inch chandy will do it.
Bright White Fireplace Family Room
November 19, 2012 at 5:26pm     
jennlehr
oh yes the angled desk is def. going
November 19, 2012 at 5:26pm     
PRO
C Wright Design
Hi! We just had a client's red brick fireplace "painted" white so this is a timely question. We had it painted by a local faux finisher as we did not, in that particular case, want the brick to be painted, but rather glazed with a white wash. The results are clean, beautiful, light, and keep the feel of the original brick. An opaque paint on the brick is also beautiful, just different. Before deciding, I would consider your plan for the ceiling. I think this is important in making the decision on whether to paint the brick.
November 19, 2012 at 5:30pm     
jennlehr
thanks. but with budget constraints i think the beams have to stay as if for now.
November 19, 2012 at 5:31pm   
Tristan Blakeman
No question: paint it. Also, unless it's really important to you for display, I'd lose the mantle. If it has to stay, I'd suggest something less rustic and more clean. Good luck - looks like a nice big room to work with!
November 19, 2012 at 5:39pm   
Deb Darby
I have the same dilemna, and mine remains the natural brick. What you could do to get used to the change is to put a temporary white panel on top of the mantel. If you like it, paint it, then keep looking around at pics of white fireplaces until you decide you can't live without one!
November 19, 2012 at 5:40pm   
jennlehr
thats what im doing thanks!!
November 19, 2012 at 5:41pm     
jennlehr
but dont i need the dark contrast of the mantel?
Zanna Russell
I second the "glaze the brick with a white wash." That will be much better than simply painting it. The same goes for the beams and the ceiling. Re-do that bookcase in a light-colored wood.
jennlehr
what does glazed brick look like? do you have any pics?
November 19, 2012 at 5:42pm     
Dixie Henrie
I would paint it -and could you do the ceiling yourself? It would just be thirty bucks for a can of paint. I agree with the others that the ceiling really needs to be done too.
November 19, 2012 at 5:44pm     
Patricia
YES asap
November 19, 2012 at 5:46pm     
PRO
o'brien designworks, LLC
I would suggest adding wood panels and a wooden manel to "bury" most of the brick and tie-in the bookcase with the panelling. This is a traditional look and I would paint the woodwork white and leave the brick as-is for a nice contrast.
November 19, 2012 at 5:48pm     
lislswai
Yes! Paint it white. But replace the ceiling fan and brass on the fireplace with something more contemporary. It will look fantastic!
November 19, 2012 at 5:49pm     
Lana Daniel
I painted my fireplace with a grey that is almost white. Dry brushed it so a bit of the original brick color was there but laid a heavier coat on the mortar which was dark. When it was dry I went back with a darker gray and a dry brush and using a very light hand just gave it some highlight and more contrast, last step was lightly dry brushing with a charcoal grey. Worked great, lightened up the fireplace but allowed it to blend in with the wood that I couldn't get rid of. You might think about painting the cabinet in the light gray with highlights of the dark dry brushed over it to minimize the stark contrast. Perhaps take off the wedge piece and make it a bookcase or display case? That piece may be the only place for the TV however. Tone the paneling down with the light grey. This may not be everyone's taste but we like it and I have had many nice comments and compliments on the room.
November 19, 2012 at 5:49pm     
Pat Griffith
cover it with safe dry wall - kinda like this -
November 19, 2012 at 5:53pm     
Karen Vanelli
Go for it....paint the brick white...or I think a creamy color would be pretty, stick with the dark wood beams and mantel....paint the walls and book shelves and nice warm color, and a contrasting color on the back wall of the bookshelves. Take the fan/lighting down and add a newer more update fan or just a pretty light fixture!
PRO
DirectBuy of Fort Worth
NO! don't paint that white...You should cover it with a beautiful faux stone veneer or slate. Like this pics attached. It will add more character and make that a focal point.
Karen Vanelli
Go for it....paint the brick white...or I think a creamy color would be pretty, stick with the dark wood beams and mantel....paint the walls and book shelves and nice warm color, and a contrasting color on the back wall of the bookshelves. Take the fan/lighting down and add a newer more update fan or just a pretty light fixture!
November 19, 2012 at 5:54pm     
broland
November 19, 2012 at 5:55pm     
inkwitch
Makes you wonder what people were thinking when they built that thing. Definitely paint it something, and white is a good option. It would also look better (as anything would be an improvement) painted almost any color -- red, orange, chrome yellow, apple green -- depending on the purpose of this room (LR? Den? DR?) and your decor.

And paint the mantel the same color. It will provide a coherence that works better with this fireplace. If you had a different medium (granite, stucco or any modern construction), a contrasting mantel would be distinctive. Unless you replace this one, there's not much else you can do with it.

Is that white strip at the top part of the wall? Whatever color you paint the FP, paint that the same color. It's distracting. Why didn't they go all the way up with the brick? (Maybe they ran out.)

The ceiling would look good with white between the beams. That alone will lighten the room tremendously as light bounces off the ceiling.

Thanks judyg, for the rule-of-thumb for ceiling fixtures! Good to know!
November 19, 2012 at 5:57pm     
Niamh Courtney
What about painting the top half same as rest of walls and leaving bottom half as brick fireplace? Might give the illusion of wider room and replacing the mantel with something more contemporary. I am not a lover of brick/rustic look but in trying to disguise it you could end up with worse scenario?
November 19, 2012 at 6:02pm   
Carol Martin
Hi! I have painted brick on two different fireplaces. I have loved it both times!!! It really brightened up the room and is so classic looking!!! I would do it again! I painted mine yellow which was the same as the wall and the mantel is white. It is beautiful!
November 19, 2012 at 6:05pm     
PRO
tj moncupa design consultancy
i'd keep the bricks but freshen up the grout with white- and paint the long mantle white. yes, take out that angled desk. : )
November 19, 2012 at 6:10pm     
Ardell Hogeterp
Change the colors of your walls and bookshelf.
Ardell Hogeterp
Kathy Martz_Walsh
Yes, this wall is too big for all of the darkness..... I would paint it white it just does not belong in the room with the white wall on the other side....
Ardell Hogeterp
PRO
Interiors II By Mary Veltri
(3) issues....you're focal fp wall needs balance, too much color contrast between all elements including ceiling. Depending on your budget, painting is least expensive and can make a huge difference....mirrors are a wonderful tool, refacing brick with stone veneer or porcelain tiles would really change the outdated appearance. Bottom line, don't be afraid to paint if thats all u have in budget. Also, consider hiring a local reputable designer that can help u come up with a basic design attack plan and paint colors! Good luck!
November 19, 2012 at 6:11pm     
march465
I would paint it white IF --- a) The floors were painted espresso b) The ceiling was changed and recessed mini-lights were added c) The corner shelf was updated w/a mirrored backing and different shelves (perhaps metal). I would prefer to add a different stone to the fireplace altogether...
November 19, 2012 at 6:11pm   
knottsbuilders
I would cover up the brick rather than paint it....we covered ours with wood and then painted, and it seems much more modern http://www.crispinteriors.blogspot.com/2011/04/when-it-all-comes-together.html
November 19, 2012 at 6:13pm     
PRO
have you considered painting the ceiling white? that would make the red bricks pop out instead of having 2 "heavy" elements.
PRO
have you considered painting the ceiling white? that would make the red bricks pop out instead of having 2 "heavy" elements.
pdqplz
No, I would not paint it; it would be too hard to go back once this trend passes. You could however, shorten the mantle; and put a book case on the left. All the other looks might be nice; but for how long? Painting the top a color that would blend in with the brick would keep your eye from going up top if you didn't want the focus there...painting the walls a warm or neutral color would warm it up and you could replace the time stamping of the fan to update the room without going with something you couldn't reverse.
stylgrl
Home decor trends come and go, people painted them in the 70's..then everyone was sandblasting the paint off 10/15 years later. Something to keep in mind if you are staying in that home awhile.
November 19, 2012 at 6:14pm     
joyewils
Our fireplace was brick like yours and our cathedral ceiling was wood. The brick went up to the ceiling, and I hated all of it. We took a risk and painted the ceiling white like the ceilings in the rest of the house and painted the brick a creamy color. We painted the mantel black but haven't painted the walls yet. You could paint the inside of the bookcase a pretty accent color and follow that color throught with pillows, etc. Hope this helped.
November 19, 2012 at 6:18pm   
stylgrl
The whitewash looks quite pretty to me.
November 19, 2012 at 6:20pm     
jennlehr
yeh i like it alot.
November 19, 2012 at 6:20pm     
jaedite
I would just paint the mantel and brick white. Leave the ceiling and floor as they are. I like the beamed ceiling. Definately a new ceiling fixture and can lights focusing on the fireplace would update the room as well. These would be in expensive to do.
November 19, 2012 at 6:22pm     
jaedite
I would just paint the mantel and brick white. Leave the ceiling and floor as they are. I like the beamed ceiling. Definately a new ceiling fixture and can lights focusing on the fireplace would update the room as well. These would be in expensive to do.
November 19, 2012 at 6:22pm   
pdqplz
I forgot to add; we have an almost identical room; literally. Yours is better with the wood floor and windows, though. I like the character of the times. You can still do simple fixes that create a great atmosphere.
November 19, 2012 at 6:24pm   
joyewils
Regarding the white strip on your fireplace....maybe it would look nice tiled with something very special.
November 19, 2012 at 6:24pm   
pvarner1
Here we painted ours two tone, painted the mantel and tiled the bottom.
November 19, 2012 at 6:26pm     
pvarner1
Here we painted ours two tone, painted the mantel and tiled the bottom.
November 19, 2012 at 6:26pm   
joyewils
Take away the angled "desk" on your bookcase and fill the opening of the entire area with shelves. Glass shelves would look very nice.
November 19, 2012 at 6:29pm   
saraj11357
When we moved into our house many years ago we also had a dark brick fireplace, it was shared with a wall that had very dark paneling, I believe the paneling was in first, then the brick around the fire place box, because the mortar for the fireplace covered the edges of the paneling, like a grout, so we could not take the paneling down! This made this room extremely dark! And there was a ceiling fan but no light kit! I used kilz primer to paint the paneling then paint! For the fire place i used a cream color paint and used a sea sponge to apply the paint, almost like scrubbing it on! My sister in law and brother in law painted their fireplaces with a brush and it made it look like it was very thick and if it was nicked it would peal off, mine on the other hand made it look softer and you can still see the mortar in between the brick! I like the look and it really brightened up the space! For yours I love your mantle wood color and wouldn't change it, our mantle is the top of the brick and I don't like it! Your ceiling looks to be the same wood color as the floor, I think i would paint the ceiling but leave the beams the dark wood color! On the top of this page it says photos, click on this and then click on fireplaces, it might have some good ideas or try Better homes and gardens.com or HGTV rate my space, some times you can find really good ideas there! Good Luck!
November 19, 2012 at 6:29pm     
Caroline McCann
I would paint it. We have a similar wall of brick and painted it white. It immediately opened up the room. You won't regret it! Lose the mantel and buy a new surround. It will look incredible. I'd also at least take out that angled shelf. Can you buy a bookcase/lighted cabinet that fits that space and make it look like a built in?
November 19, 2012 at 6:30pm   
Becky Drury
I stained my fireplace and I really love it. I went with a very dark brown. It updated it and it still looks natural. I think if you want to paint it, paint it. White would probably make the shelves look better.
November 19, 2012 at 6:40pm   
PRO
DirectBuy of Fort Worth
painting that entire f/p white will make it just washout and not be the focal point it deserves to be. You can use darker colors with the wood floors you have. Change the wall paint to a warmer neutral color in the light beige tones. Update the ceiling fans and the room will look fantastic. White painted brick is dated and your just going from one dated look to another. So, for a more updated look use a faux stone or natural slate over that brick.
November 19, 2012 at 6:42pm     
Nancy
Here's a pic of a red brick fireplace painted....I'll try to find the blog in found it on with the instructions.
I think you'd like it...I'd paint the ceiling white inbetween the beams also...
November 19, 2012 at 6:51pm     
Alice Harper
I really don't want to get into the 'white' issue but I, too, have had the paint or not paint issue in a past house. If the brick is really ugly, no amount of trying to make do will save it. Now whether to paint or glaze, white or neutral.....I've had really good success with a faux finished fireplace surround.
November 19, 2012 at 6:51pm     
jennlehr
thanks evreryone. i think i like the whitewash. i may give it a try!!
November 19, 2012 at 6:52pm     
Suzana Schafer
NONONONO! You must be out of your mind if you paint that brick, it won't be easy to go back to this natural look once you paint it white. I suggest you try to make the brick work using the following steps... and if it doesn't work ... by all means paint away.
1. Acid wash and gloss the brick, and for the love of "All That is in Good Taste" get rid of that brass and iron mesh curtain. Replace it with a plain iron mesh curtain or leave it open and add a decorative stand alone screen that fits your design taste.
2. Strip the floor and natural finish. The floor is too dark for the dark red of the fireplace brick.
3. Paint the wall in a deep strong color like toffee or denim, moss or even a dark red brick color.
November 19, 2012 at 6:52pm   
joyewils
I have to add to my comment regarding painting our fireplace. Actually, we stained it with concrete stain that comes in many colors and can be easily found at Home Depot or Lowes. It is available in semi-transparent or solid coverage. We chose solid because we did not want any brick color to show through. It is applied like paint, and it penetrates the brick rather than to just lay on the surface as paint would. It's a nice and more natural look.
November 19, 2012 at 7:06pm     
olldcan
I'd paint the mantle a light creamy grey colour, maybe even white. Scrub the grout so it's nice and clean and maybe look into lightening the grout if need be. Remove the bookshelf and brass strip. Possibly replace the ceiling fan with an LED track light so some light can be directed at that end of the room. Look for a small mirror to reflect some light and other light coloured accessories for the mantel. Fill the wood storage with some birch (white bark). All this will help lighten it up, once you paint really there's no going back.
November 19, 2012 at 7:06pm   
Tania Mitchell
I personally do not like painted brick but having said that I would def do something to this wall. I would render it and make it smoother then you could keep it white with the rest of the room or feature colour it. The angled shelf throws the whole room off balance so a more conventional shelf/cupboard would work better there. I'd put a British India fan in and get rid of the hanging light too. Would love some post decision pics xx
November 19, 2012 at 7:17pm   
hmccarth
Love the California Home and Design, brightening up the floor would be a go also.....
November 19, 2012 at 7:22pm   
cgbtoo
I would whitewash it, this would allow you to still see the variations in the brick .
November 19, 2012 at 7:36pm   
catsco2
Would hide most of the brick with updated paneling, paint white then clean the brick and leave it as is, or update it to stacked stone and a new mantel.
November 19, 2012 at 7:46pm   
folkartist
Hi Jenniehr, Check out this before and after. I saw this on the internet and it reminds me of your space and the possibilities. They painted the bottom ledge of the bricks and wood mantel white and the rest of the bricks and walls yellow.
November 19, 2012 at 7:47pm     
PRO
Laurie Lile Designs
My first inclination was to paint the brick, but after seeing the picture of the whitewashed brick posted by stylgrl I would defiantly choose the washed finish. It's really charming. I would agree that painting the ceiling is the way to go-even if you have to do it yourself. Can't wait to see the finished room.
November 19, 2012 at 7:58pm     
Judy
Whitewash would be right. The brick just looks old and dirty to me, and does not go with the rest of the room at all. If it were my place I would definitely whitewash the brick to go with the walls.
November 19, 2012 at 8:09pm   
Judy
Whitewash would be right. Too much contrast here. The brick just looks old and dirty to me, and does not go with the rest of the room at all. The only other way would be to darken the paneling to blend better with the brick if you want a dark cozy room. If it were my place I would definitely whitewash the brick to go with the walls.
November 19, 2012 at 8:11pm     
bauhaus40
I say no. It's beautiful as is
November 19, 2012 at 8:15pm   
vitel1
...in a heartbeat. Everything else is dark enough. Would lighten & modernise in one paintstroke!
November 19, 2012 at 8:17pm   
thunder1
I would plaster over most of the left side including the wood storage. Then you could leave the brick as it wouldn't be so overwhelming. Or you couls plaster over the whole thing and then add decorative tile or stone.
November 19, 2012 at 8:19pm   
PRO
Robert Horwath Studio, LLC
I had a few similar situations. Here are before and after photos of how I handled it for one of my customers. I covered all of the brick with cabinetry and a paneled wall and added onyx around the hearth. This customer needed storage and didn't want to see the brick anymore.
November 19, 2012 at 8:26pm     
troutdesigns
I paint brick 3-4 shades lighter or darker than my wall color. A 3/4 nap smaller diameter roller will help fill in all the grooves of the brick. Some bricks have deep pits, which makes the job last longer than you thought it would! Glaze is simply painting a base color, then mixing a darker shade of that color 1:4 with glaze. You can apply with a brush and scrub it onto the brick. Other finishes are a waste of time on brick. It sounds like alot of people are using "glaze" in referring to a slightly watered down version of regular paint , which allows a hint of the original color to show through. I wouldn't show red brick through white paint, but it would work if you went with a gray, taupe or a color that complements red. Remember to tape off the fireplace insert to keep from slopping paint. It will show. Have fun experimenting!!
November 19, 2012 at 8:37pm     
Abigail Angel
Cheepest-good old scrub bucket of hot soapy water, make sure you rince well. Then if you still don't like it whitewash.That kinda leaves the whole wall bare so use light wood stair look and put few nice theme items on shelves. I really don't like the idea of painting brick, maybe cover with fake stone. I also made comments on facebook for the rest of room. Mine was black with soot and age but scrubbing really made it nice.
November 19, 2012 at 8:47pm     
troutdesigns
Almost forgot, If you go light on the brick, you'll probably want to paint the inside of the fireplace with a high heat black. You'll see! It's going to look really dirty with all the fresh paint. Oh, and love the beams. Once brick fades into the background,, your floor and ceiling will make sense.
November 19, 2012 at 8:51pm     
PRO
Lauren Jacobsen Interior Design
If paint is your only option within budget, then I would paint it. I have white washed brick and you need to know it can come up pink. So, you may want to cut the red undertone first with another color. Otherwise, a straight white but keep the mantle wood as is. Hope fully it is rustic, if not I would add some of your own distressing so it looks old. Get a new fireplace screen and fill the wood box with cut white birch logs. Not sure why the brick does not reach the ceiling, it would be nice if it did. If it is a shelf, follow the line of the shelf in the book case and put in vertical white wood to create sections, then add objects of interest...sparsely. Not sure what the corner section of the book case is either but take it back to a shelf depth to match the others, and add a few more horizontal shelves above it.For more design tips, follow my blog: "Lauren's Style Library" http://blog.laurenjacobsendesign.com/
November 19, 2012 at 9:03pm     
jennlehr
thanks lauren you echo my thoughts. i decided to paint not white wash, i have removed the corner desk thing and am replacing with shelves. I am painting with a latex semi gloss. not sure what color> Navajo white??? in a semi gloss latex, i assume the funny area on the top will go away when its all the same color, and will leave the ledge as is to tie in the floor and beams. i also agree that the log holder needs cut birch logs. (where do i get that???) and i am going to ditch the fireplace curtain and possibly buy a free standing screen of some sorts. maybe a fireplace tool set, (I;m a southerner, not used to fireplaces)
November 19, 2012 at 9:09pm   
jennlehr
well if i want a really fresh clean look arent i better off with paint rather than the whitewash. i like the whitewash idea, just not sure if i like it in this setting. and i feel the mantel, beams and dark floor are enough for contrast. am i right?
November 19, 2012 at 9:16pm   
PRO
Suzanne Olsen, Olsen Design ASID
If you are looking for a contemporary look then painting it white is a way to go..very inexpensively! The corner self would add an asymmetrical look then upgrade the ceiling fan or eliminate altogether replace with recessed lights. If you need to keep it traditional with the brick then I would complete the look by finishing up the brick work to the right of the fireplace and also the beam should go with the rustic look. Have fun with the firplace and I would beef up the mantle and create more design around the firplace box and log bin. Antique iron screen and a rough hewn beam. The last project my design studio was in volved in was MIM this past May I hand painted the brick on the fireplace to appear to be aged with a limewash then the hearth was glazed with silver and bronze metalic glazes,,,The desired result was achieved: Shabby, Beach Cottage Chic! Tons of old world charm, antiques and crystal chadeliers!
November 19, 2012 at 10:11pm   
norgen
Show us the pictures of what you've done so far.
November 19, 2012 at 10:39pm   
PRO
Navaho white paint is OK, Decide if you want your white to be warm or not. When I want warmth to my white I go with Benjamin Moore's Acadia White. It is not too yellow, still white and clean but a touch of warmth to it. As for the birch logs, just Google white cut birch logs. You usually get 15" long and up to 4" diameter. Also, make certain you are not painting over any oil base paint with latex water base. It will peel off in under one year. You painter should know what is currently on the bookcase.
November 19, 2012 at 11:25pm   
PRO
Susan Mills Design
folkartist that is an amazing transformation you showed. I love it!
November 19, 2012 at 11:55pm   
lauranicoleindenver
I was inspired by your room, so I sketched something really quick. Kind of inspired by the urban downtown lofts in San Fran or NYC with exposed brick. Depending on your decor the beams at the top and bottom can be natural wood, black or white. Then silver face around the fireplace and wood bin, and definitely some floor to ceiling linen curtains on the wall that has some windows to soften the room.
November 20, 2012 at 12:14am     
PRO
November 20, 2012 at 12:26am   
Michael Hahn
NO - lighten the floor and ceiling. Keep the walls modern-white. Loose the cabinet/shelves and that lamp/fan + the wooden shelve over the fireplace has to go!! Bring in some scandinavian design furniture and some copper. Put up good lighting in the corners at the fireplace.
November 20, 2012 at 1:00am   
dianestyle
Some great ideas for options, just remember this: How will this effect my resale value. Painted brick can be a bit ...difficult to keep up. Glaze might not be so bad. Do you really need a mantel the length of a football field. There are so many nice options to the ceiling fan; will you need it for circulation and ventilation if you use the fireplace to heat this area? The screen might not be up to date, but what will the function of the fireplace be? Last of all, what is your vision for your room?
November 20, 2012 at 1:50am   
PRO
Cottage Craft Tile
Definitely wouldn't paint the brick. With those beautiful wood floors and expansive white walls I would probably face it with a tile or stone veneer. What is your design style...traditional, contemporary...are you trying to give the space the feel of a particular era? Personally not a huge fan of painting brick in an application where the fireplace is such a focal point. The attached photo may not be your style, but it may help you visualize and get the wheels turning.
November 20, 2012 at 3:14am   
sue3
We have the exact same brick and I hate it! I find it to be a weird color that is difficult to work with. We initially covered most of it with built-ins but I still don't like it. That being said, we won't paint ours because it won't look right with our more Transitional style of decorating but instead, we will cover it with faux stone. Something that cannot be done over painted brick without additional prep and materials so you may want to keep that in mind for future/resale. Tiling or stoning over brick can be a do-it-yourself project or at least not complicated such that it should not be expensive to hire. All that being said, sound likes you are leaning toward painting which will no doubt look lovely. I agree that ceiling beams weigh heavy in the room and should be painted same color as ceiling to make them "disappear".
November 20, 2012 at 4:54am   
jennlehr
I would love to do a faux stone treatment my self, but am afraid that the finishes wont look professional enough... and what if i hate it!!??? thanks for the prep tip though, Didnt realize that!! Do you think painting will be bad for resale?
November 20, 2012 at 4:58am   
sue3
What style of decorating do you like or are you planning for the room?
November 20, 2012 at 4:59am   
jennlehr
modern, contemporary, clean
November 20, 2012 at 5:00am   
pattydavis1
Yes, I would paint the fireplace white. It seems so dark now so white would brighten up the room.
November 20, 2012 at 5:04am   
jennlehr
thanks everyone for the amazing ideas, I keep debating between painting and washing!!! i wlll keep you posted of the progress. if i do paint, BM paint suggestions please!! (soft white)
November 20, 2012 at 5:06am   
sue3
With your style preference I think you could go either way.. paint or stone. Search pics on the houzz site for ideas and inspiration. Which photos in this thread resonate with you and your style? Save them to your "Houzz" so you can look at them all in one place. This has helped me tremendously! As far as resale, it will depend on the buyer but if your entire house has a clean, unified style that causes the painted brick to make sense, it will probably be ok.
November 20, 2012 at 5:19am   
judianna20
Think of it as what it is, your fourth wall. Would you choose to paint that fourth wall the brick color? I think you have received some great advice. In the future, you can always have the wall paneled.
November 20, 2012 at 5:28am     
lindores
I would most definitely go with folkartist's suggestion. That whole room just came to life!
November 20, 2012 at 5:28am     
lindores
I would most definitely go with folkartist's suggestion. That whole room just came to life!
November 20, 2012 at 5:29am     
crazylife
j- White wash first. Since you are trying to decide between paint or white wash on the fireplace, I would suggest you simply white wash first. You don't have to choose one or the other,and it is the most logical progression. If you love it you can stop there. If not, you continue with the next coats of paint.
November 20, 2012 at 5:29am     
JP
White wash first and then if you don't like it you can paint over it. Once you paint you can't go back for the softer look of white wash.
November 20, 2012 at 5:31am     
jennlehr
K so now i knwo the process I need a BM paint color!!! a soft white cuz the paneling is white and want this wall to be a bit different. not a stark white.
November 20, 2012 at 5:38am   
Claudia Grimaud
No I would never paint the brick...I would decorated with rustic style furniture with lots of natural shades.
November 20, 2012 at 5:38am   
nomadkath
I would get a color scheme first, and start by painting the walls, putting down a soft, warm rug to break that dark floor, and a spotlit painting on the mantle in your style and colors........see how changing the focus affects the room. I do think the whitewash is pretty......what if you did that technique with more of a beige or warm stone shade to offset that 'pink' effect? But I would start with washing or sanding to see how much of that darkness is just dirt.... Definitely lose the light fan and fireplace screen.
November 20, 2012 at 5:39am     
apple_pie_order
Are the floors in good shape? If so, choose an off white that goes with the floor color. If not, refinish the floors and then pick an off white that goes with the new finish.

I suspect the odd shaped diagonal shelf was for a TV.

If you cannot replace the ceiling fan, you can make it sparkle. Remove the glass shades, clean them carefully and polish up the rest with a damp cloth.

Adding tiny halogen track lights to one of the ceiling beams in order to illuminate the fireplace wall would be a great way to show it off. Also it would help when painting or white washing.
November 20, 2012 at 5:47am   
sue3
The white you choose may depend on what else is going in the room. If you have large trees outside your windows like I do, they will turn light colors green in the summer Do you want a warm white or cooler.. more yellow or grey.. Once you have a general idea, narrow down the white then get actual paint samples. Buy Hobby large, white, heavy paper and paint them, 2 coats, then hang on all walls in the room to see how the color looks at all times of the day.
November 20, 2012 at 5:47am     
PRO
Don Koppin General Contractor
We also had a similar fireplace, with a lovely ash mantle. Painted it bone & that was okay for a few years, but it didn't really provide any heat, so we eventually tore down the brick, replaced it with a stone surround, added an airtight woodstove insert, flanked it both sides with (retrofitted) book cases that we already had somewhere else in the house, and did the hearth floor & front in very inexpensive, organic slate tile. It's gone form a blah fireplace to an energy-efficient, beautiful focal point of our home that provides us with enough heat for our main level, and we can still enjoy the beauty of a wood fire. Saved enough on our oil bill the first year to pay for the insert!!

Painting this fireplace white would mean a too-white room, I think, but maybe a slate gray?? Depends on how much natural light you have in the room & whether that would ground it, or make it suck the light from the room. I would paint the ceiling white instead and keep the walls white as well if that's the look you want. Love the photos on this page with the all-white room, but it takes a certain lifestyle and a keen eye for decorating to pull it off. I'd make sure the top part above the fireplace was the same colour as the fp for sure. If an airtight insert (about $3,000. incl. a necessary new chimney liner ), isn't in the budget, definitely new black doors for the fireplace are in order and an updated ceiling fan.
November 20, 2012 at 8:26am   
Drue Hartwell
I'm assuming a budget is what is keeping you from doing anything more than painting and getting rid of the built-ins on the right? That's what I read from your initial query. For a budget fix, yes, paint it white (PS.........I personally would not do white, but a ligth color of some kind) and if you can, lower the mantle. That will be a drastic change and take away the eye being drawn to what is basically an unattractive area. If you can afford to drywall over it, I would do that and cover the wood bin portion. But then you also run into other issues if the drywall would be proud of the fireplace. You can buy heat resistant spray paint and change the brass of the fireplace to a matte stainless. Paint is your cheapest way out. Don't change the floors. Dark floors a a great contrast to the furniture and the white walls.
November 20, 2012 at 9:00am   
jennlehr
porblemt with shelves on rt side is that they are built in and there is nothing behind them. i would have to ideally put more brick there which is how it shouldve been finished in the first place. the fireplace screen is going in the garbage. not sure what to do with the ledge yet.
November 20, 2012 at 9:02am   
Drue Hartwell
Another PS.........if you do drywall, get rid of the raised hearth. Very dated and it's only purpose is to put junk on.
November 20, 2012 at 9:03am   
PRO
Granite Transformations
Hi Jen,

I personally prefer the natural look of the brick, but it's a matter of preference. If you are going to paint the brick, I'd say go with the white washed look rather than a complete cover. I'll attach a picture.

You should consider painting the wall too. Something in the grey or blue family would be nice. Benjamin Moore has a great selection. I wouldn't do anything too dark since your floors and mantle are already darker.

Thanks for sharing and good luck!
November 20, 2012 at 9:14am     
greenthumb2
If you will be using this fireplace, did you test it yet? If it does not leak soot, great. If it does leak soot, you'll be cleaning the brick constantly if it is painted a light color. Have you thought about doing a mock up of it before laying out any money on the project? If possible, see if you can have that angled shelf cut back so it is at least flush with the rest of the bookshelf/tv shelf. Then, paint that thing first in a color that makes it receed. Or bright and then sew or have sewn some bright colored rectangular pillows for the hearth. A few contrasting upright pillow. Then, find yourself a fabulous group of medium to large pieces of art/paintings. But before you do any of this; find a rug with the colors you like in it first. Build from the bottom up. Do some mockups. Will really help. Have fun doing it. Laugh a little.
November 20, 2012 at 9:24am     
PRO
James Hill Architect
White is bright and can be cheery and would be an improvement! Dark can be cozy. You have a high contrast with white walls and dark ceiling and fireplace. I find this contrast jarring. Think about a solution that softens contrasts between wall and ceiling too.
November 20, 2012 at 9:24am   
kveljkovic
paint it like used brick, putting on white and other shades in your house and the rubbing most of it off, it'll lighten p the room but still give it some character, pick a shade of your favorite color to paint the shelves.
November 20, 2012 at 9:37am   
Jacqueline Parker
Paint it white, I have done this with pva first to seal the brick and mortar to insure it does't bleed,and then white flat paint using a brush to get into every nook. I would also paint the mantle with chalk paint and clear wax( without distressing it) so that it looks less bitty.
November 20, 2012 at 10:02am   
jennlehr
will it bleed if i have a good primer?
November 20, 2012 at 10:03am   
joyewils
Another thought.....You could cover the brick with drywall, and if you wanted, you could leave a brick area exposed. The drywall once finished and painted would blend in with the other walls giving a more cohesive look. Also, if you were to drywall and you left a small area of brick, glass mosaic tiles covering the remaining brick would be beautiful.
November 20, 2012 at 10:20am     
Jacqueline Parker
No it wont bleed 123 bullseye primer is great then just behrs white flat premium paint about 25 dollars. i just prefer to use thinned out pva as it fills all of the tiny holes in the brick as well, but of course primer will have the same effect.
November 20, 2012 at 10:42am   
Jacqueline Parker
For the mantle you can use the same primer followed by the berhs flat white, then wax it with clear or liming briwax ( no need for the chalk paint) The ugly shelf will blend in and your floor will look amazing
If everything is white including the mantle which looks bitty.
November 20, 2012 at 10:50am   
eldridgedesign
YES! paint it, and get rid of that shelf unit!
November 20, 2012 at 11:37am   
jennlehr
I wish i could. but its built in and the wall behind is unfinisehd and its not the brick . its the weirdest thing. I cannot imagine waht they were thinking!!
November 20, 2012 at 12:21pm   
Kimberly Hogan_Castillo
Folkartist's, and stylegirl's pic was awesome..So was the white wash pic.Two good ideas Here is Sherman Williams craft-paper color with 2-toned glaze
November 20, 2012 at 12:55pm   
Kimberly Hogan_Castillo
craft-paper color from Sherman Williams
November 20, 2012 at 12:59pm   
jennlehr
is craft paper the wall color here?
November 20, 2012 at 12:59pm   
Kimberly Hogan_Castillo
Yes^ This technique has 2-different glazes over the craft paper color in circular or swirl motion technique
November 20, 2012 at 1:07pm   
Kimberly Hogan_Castillo
Here are only a few looks for stucco fireplaces
November 20, 2012 at 1:09pm     
jennlehr
thanks but that seems like major work.. I have budget constraints, wiould love this to be all smooth , but i think thats a project that will have to wait a bit!!
November 20, 2012 at 1:11pm   
mariaglenda
I would plaster it...finishing it in a rustic look.
November 20, 2012 at 1:12pm   
jennlehr
hmm never thought of that...
November 20, 2012 at 1:13pm   
bamamom
jennlehr...check out this discussion on HOUZZ...
Was the Brick on the wall Dry brush painted? Talks about white washing the brick and some pictures of those Houzzers that DIY'd the project themselves.
Also, have you considered having the left and right sides of the wall "furred out" to hang drywall and then have the actually fireplace portion centered on the wall? You could even drywall above the mantle. Then paint the drywall. You could remove the small portion of hearth on both sides so the drywall would go to the floor on each side (would also cover the shelf unit. That would give you additonal wall space to decorate.

We have opted NOT to paint or whitewash our brick at this time. Plan is to cover top with drywall and then tile the remaining 1979 brick below the mantle and hearth. Plan, $ permitting, is to do that next spring. That could be another option if you could actually dryall over part of the brick on each side.

Good luck!
November 20, 2012 at 1:18pm   
Kimberly Hogan_Castillo
Stucco is dry wall mix in a box about $5.00a box. big box would take about 3-boxes that is15.00,and is premixed
November 20, 2012 at 1:26pm   
jennlehr
and you just slap it on like icing a cake? (i happen to be a professional cake decorator!!)
November 20, 2012 at 1:34pm   
Kimberly Hogan_Castillo
Pretty much it's like that..
November 20, 2012 at 1:50pm   
bamamom
jennlehr...this may be the perfect thing for you then. A very large cake to ice. Could possibly put you onto a new career path too.
November 20, 2012 at 2:03pm   
jennlehr
ha!!
November 20, 2012 at 2:20pm   
Aletha Dunston
1. I would recommend leaving the beams alone if you're keeping the dark floor. Keep it cozy!
2. Depending on your design aesthetic, don't rule out a bright color that will pop!
3. I often spray paint the brass details and old screens with black metal spray paint. It gives it a new life.
November 20, 2012 at 2:44pm   
Jacqueline Parker
Just paint it white or cream, it seams a shame to plaster over it and it will look great just painted.
November 20, 2012 at 4:08pm   
dcer
Yes, paint it white or cream, and remove mantel. Either replace mantel or just do away with it.
November 20, 2012 at 4:18pm     
doggieg
I love the mantel and the corner desk; but I would paint the ceiling and the bricks cream, leaving the dark mantel and I would leave the ledge of the fireplace in the bricks. Love contrasts. Also, when you get that cute desk chair and lap up at the corner of the fireplace, you will love that you kept it.
November 20, 2012 at 4:25pm     
toddhinla
Definitely paint the brick!
November 20, 2012 at 4:29pm     
PRO
Altruwood
I love the exposed beams on the ceiling, and while I'm usually one for keeping exposed brick, painting it white would open up the room so much in this case.
November 20, 2012 at 4:34pm     
PRO
Distinctive Mantel Designs, Inc
just wait....we have the solution...it will be a world of difference. I've got to find the photo tomorrow in the office.
November 20, 2012 at 5:11pm   
PRO
Arcanum Architecture LLC
doing the following in the exact order listed below..
1. remove the ceiling fan and throw it away.
2. remove the false ceiling beams and add them to the trash with the fan.
3. remove the brick from the top of the mantel up ..salvage and patch in wood box...keep the wood and termites outside !
4. patch wall and paint or patch with painted paneling similar to long wall
5. maintain dark brick, dark mantel.
6. add artwork above mantel
7. install low voltage led light strip, full length of mantel to upwash the artwork
November 21, 2012 at 8:09pm   
Ann Taylor
I have a similar brick fireplace wall that I have hated for years. I painted it the same color as the rest of the walls and painted the top of the hearth gray. It's still not perfect but it looks so much better than it did. I say paint it....
November 21, 2012 at 8:42pm     
sjspc
Paint it Old White with Anne Silke Chalk Paint. Then pull off the front of the fireplace and paint it (brass included) with a high heat spray paint. You will love it. I'd do that first and the decide if you want to keep the mantel dark.
November 21, 2012 at 8:42pm   
PRO
Arcanum Architecture LLC
from above
November 21, 2012 at 8:57pm     
greenthumb2
Like what Arcanum has going on but would still trim back the angled piece of wood encroaching on the white wall on right. Get some pretty wood and frame that space. Bring in colored rug and build from there. It already looks better in this picture.
November 22, 2012 at 1:31am     
steffanieadams
Don't paint !!
November 22, 2012 at 4:47am   
catsco2
I agree with greenthumb2
November 22, 2012 at 6:58pm   
catsco2
I agree with greenthumb2
November 22, 2012 at 7:00pm   
jennlehr
well here are the results.
November 22, 2012 at 7:03pm     
jennlehr
i realize furniture needs to be reaarranged, log box still needs painting and we need a new firescreen. its just day one!!
November 22, 2012 at 7:04pm     
PRO
Good for you sweetie, you are on your way.
November 22, 2012 at 9:02pm   
jennlehr
Alot of you asked for pics of the other side of the room. well here it is..
November 23, 2012 at 4:11am   
stylgrl
There really should be no rules to home decor.. With one exception, that the home owners love there surroundings. Sounds like you are! :-) blessings on your new home.
November 23, 2012 at 4:42am     
stylgrl
Oops.."their" surroundings . :-)
November 23, 2012 at 4:45am   
PRO
Sheila Rich Interiors, LLC
I think you shoud paint the entire room, including the fireplace a soft white and stain the mantel to match the floor. I would remove the half wall wall between the kitchen and family room and create a more open floor plan to update the house.
November 23, 2012 at 6:00am     
bamamom
WOW!!!! Looks great! Similar to what Sheila said, at least remove the spindles on the top of the half wall.
Congrats on your new home!
November 23, 2012 at 7:12am     
saraj11357
I think this looks so much better, and it makes the room look so much brighter!
November 25, 2012 at 1:55pm   
nikopagni
Yes, I would paint it an off white, not stark white, leave the mantle the same, or darker,perhaps change the bookshelves to black, if you need them otherwise take them out, and perhaps one wall black, daring but gorgeous! In the other room take the wall out! Ceiling fan out too. take the FP screen out, and it will be lovely
November 25, 2012 at 2:11pm   
PRO
Home-Remodeling-Decorating.com
Please don't paint the bricks white! Covering up a poor design doesn't make it go away.

If it were my house, I would cover that entire brick wall in a light colored Venetian plaster, but first I would fill in that gap along the top of the brick with drywall and remove that wood mantel to use afterwards.

Next, I would also sheet rock over that shelf space and cover that whole area too. That way you have one continuous wall that stands out as a beautiful focal point. Keep the opening where the logs go for balance (and it's quite practical) but line the bottom of it with something sturdy like wood or stone. The plaster will get banged up by the logs. Make sure to seal your Venetian plaster too.

For contrast, I would a darker colored plaster on the hearth portion (horizontal surface to floor) and use lighter color on the vertical part of the wall from the hearth up to ceiling.

Then install your original wood mantel except this time center it on the wall from left to right, and maybe not so high.Lean a large mirror or painting on your mantel. Visually that would give you a pyramid effect and really capture that area as a focal point.

Venetian plaster can look sleek and modern, old and weathered, or it can mimic marble, stone, metal, etc. The cost if you do it yourself? Maybe a couple hundred bucks, TOPS!

Make sure you buy a couple big boxes of drywall mud ($8. each) and fill in all the groves between bricks in stages, then coat entire area with the cheap mud before you start using the Venetian plaster. http://www.home-remodeling-decorating.com/remodel-fireplace.html#axzz2DRdVXv00

This page has a video I made while doing my own fireplace: http://www.home-remodeling-decorating.com/remodel-ideas-for-fireplaces.html#axzz2DRdVXv00

Buy a corner TV cabinet to go where that shelf was and put a mirror on the white wall opposite the windows, iif you didn't already put one above the mantle, and you want more light reflected back into the room.

Here's an example of what it could look like: http://www.sunset.com/home/decorating/chic-fireplace-update-00400000012176/
November 27, 2012 at 10:04am   
decoenthusiaste
Down with the half wall and you'll be almost done! What do you plan as a ceiling fixture instead of the fan/light? Take a look at drum chandeliers here on Houzz under products.
November 27, 2012 at 10:28am   
jennlehr
i was thinking it should be low profile and not call attention to the ceiling
November 27, 2012 at 10:29am   
joyewils
I think that the bookcase on the right makes the fireplace wall look unbalanced. If you could resize it and put a matching unit on the left side it would look better. If you could do away with the bookcase and drywall both sides to match, I think that would be best.
November 27, 2012 at 9:51pm   
rebecca105
One of the easiest home projects we did was removing the bricks and putting in stack rock. Once you get the top row or any row of bricks off (hard), it comes off in sheets. Very, very heavy. Had to break the sheets apart to get them out of house. But well worth it. This was a much smaller area, but done in a weekend.
November 27, 2012 at 10:53pm   
midmarsh
I had the same dilemma several years ago. I hired a faux painted who performed a miracle. See the attached images
January 2, 2013 at 7:14am     
caralyno
I dry walled my big brick fireplace and painted it the same color as the walls. it looks great!
January 2, 2013 at 8:17am   
terrybarbato
I had a brick fireplace. I used joint compound (to resemble "old-world" plaster) and then painted it. It takes many coats but the results are stunning!!
January 2, 2013 at 8:51am   
ruthyo
I covered mine with sheetrock
January 2, 2013 at 10:20am     
clatterbuck
Your fireplace looks almost exactly like our old fireplace. What we did will probably horrify some people, but it works for us. We put our T.V. in front of the fireplace opening on the raised hearth. My husband, using white bottom kitchen cabinets from home depot, made built in bookcase/storage units on each side of the TV. We removed the hideous fake wood mantle which my husband replaced with a pretty white mantle that he built using and large plank of wood with crown molding. The new mantle is just above the TV so everything looks very built in. I have a nice painting above the mantle. We never used the fireplace, so it works for us.
January 2, 2013 at 3:00pm   
kmthalken
Why try to hide an elephant in the room? Yes, paint it! You could do a whitewash pickling stain effect. Or, you could go with a 'rustic' painted look, like this example, http://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/dry-brushing-the-fireplace/index.html. I have a similar smaller brick fireplace issue, and I am going to go with the 'rustic' look. If you want to go bold, you could consider painting the bookshelf red. I did that in another house and it looked awesome (walls were painted Sherwin William SW 6251 Outerspace, ceiling the same color, but only 10-20% of the wall color) and a dark wood floor. The room looked great!
January 2, 2013 at 3:15pm   
cohoek
No Paint!, Have it plastered white, and leave the bottom part brick, it'll be dirty and dusty all the time....Keep the beams!!!
January 2, 2013 at 3:16pm   
Karen Vanelli
great idea.....love it ~
January 2, 2013 at 4:23pm   
PRO
Transforming Rooms
To see a BEFORE & AFTER of fireplace transformations & interior designer tips, check out these two sites
http://www.transformingrooms.blogspot.com
http://www.transformingrooms.com

just type in whatever your interests are in the SEARCH BOX such as

fireplace paint
front door paint
bedroom layout
where to hang flat screen
window treatment ideas
adding color to a room
narrow living room
what shape dining table
etc etc
January 4, 2013 at 5:16pm     
PRO
Fleurishes
I for sure would paint the ceiling, leaving the beams dark or paint the beams and leave the ceiling a color. We have a soft white on our LR walls, ceiling beams (high ceiling) and woodwork. The ceiling is painted a beautiful green (similar to the carpet)...the room is bright, restful and beautiful. Just a suggestion
January 6, 2013 at 9:19am   
jeeves52
yes white but if you are thinking that it will deface the bricks then consider covering it with something you can paint over with any colour but which could be removed by others if you sell the house!
February 15, 2013 at 2:33am   
inkwitch
It looks like everyone has commented on this FP! I can't imagine my having a new idea you haven't heard already. Agree: paint -- something. It doesn't have to be white. Can't tell what the ceiling is, but painting it white would help a lot, but you could paint the FP a color - not anything dark, but maybe something bright. If this is a play room, a place you don't plan to be formal, there's a lot of fun colors that would make it an outstanding room. Turquoise? LIme? Chrome yellow? Not red unless it's tomato red. You're only going to do it once because it's a huge amount of work, so don't decide on white in a rush.

And consider spraying the paint on. Much faster. Just requires a little work to protect floors and other walls. There are small sprayers that don't create the kind of mess you'd think.

I would remove the mantel and give yourself the option of mounting a TV on that brick if tv-viewing is a plan.
February 16, 2013 at 3:34am   
bdennison
I like it white and so glad you kept the mantle. If you can't take down that half wall, maybe remove the spindels for a more open feel.
February 16, 2013 at 4:33am   
soberg
The OP painted the fireplace 3 months ago.
February 16, 2013 at 4:47am     
abgoodich
Do not paint it white. Instead, lime wash it. It will lighten it but also leave you with a natural stone. Lime washing can be done lightly or it can be done to give an almost white outcome. If you like the look of natural stone, lime wash is the way to go!
February 16, 2013 at 4:56am   
PRO
Should You Sell Or Should You Stay
What's your style; contemporary, retro, traditional, transitional, eclectic - can you post a few pictures of rooms that you like.
February 16, 2013 at 5:36am   
Pat Lehman-Papazoglou
This fireplace is brick covered with a thin pieces of wood and painted. The mantle is completely boxed and removable.
February 16, 2013 at 6:18am   
reddress5
the fire place should be white its to dark that way
February 16, 2013 at 7:09am   
Jacqueline Parker
Looks so much better jenniehr.. .good luck
February 16, 2013 at 7:24am   
merlegirl
I'd paint it in a heartbeat! Of course, it's been two years and I still haven't the courage to paint my own :(
February 16, 2013 at 8:06am   
PRO
Triangle Brick Company
Please do not paint the brick, it is beautiful just as it is. I would like to suggest updating the mantel and painting it an accent color. I would also remove the shelves/desk and paint the walls a softer color such as Sherwin Williams Basket Beige SW6143 to compliment the brick. Adding greenery to the area where the shelves and desk are will soften the area and pair nicely with the brick wall.
June 4, 2013 at 7:00am   
PRO
Homage Antiques
Hi Tristan! I've painted brick fireplaces twice -- most recently for the glamor makeover of my living room with Bronson, shown in the attached photo. In this case, we primed then painted it black and wow did it transform the entire room! Black against a black wall worked beautifully, as did another I did in white against white walls. My only regret with that (black) living room is that I didn't paint the fireplace sooner. Cheers! --T
March 26, 2014 at 10:27am   
PRO
Don Koppin General Contractor
Wow - this looks awesome! Not everyone can live with a black wall, and I'd want to see the rest of the room to know how well it works - but it sure seems to be dramatic enough to be a beautiful focal point. Brave homeowners. More people should take a risk with paint - it's so easy to change if you don't like it, and makes such a difference in such a short time, with little investment. We did a more drastic, and much more expensive, makeover to our fireplace area, after years of living with painted brick. We removed the vintage ( & unsafe) wood chip insulation behind the brick and did it properly, added antique leaded windows for more light in the room, after adding another pane of glass so they're now triple-glazed, cut down & painted out our 25-year-old bookcases to match the surrounding walls, installed an airtight insert, found a bargain on slate tile for the hearth,and used cultured stone (my one concession) for the facade. Not only does it add much-needed light to the room, but it's now a source of heat instead of sucking energy up the fireplace.
March 27, 2014 at 5:57am     
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.