Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help with staircase
jasonkorff
November 19, 2012 in Design Dilemma
When I bought this house, the staircase end post and top post were part stained, part white. I decided to try and paint them white. Now I'm not too sure. Any ideas?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
It's time to get out your paintbrush again, and two cans of paint, one black and one white. Take a look at what was done in the house below.
November 19, 2012 at 7:10PM     
PRO
Re|Structure Design-Build, LLC
I would recommed you continue with painting the posts white. To my eye, the scale of the balusters is a bit heavy for this staircase. Keeping things simple will help with this situation.
November 19, 2012 at 7:11PM   
jasonkorff
Where does the black paint come in? Do you think chair rail would dress up the wall?
November 19, 2012 at 7:15PM   
jasonkorff
I'm sorry. Not chair rail, but wainscoting.
November 19, 2012 at 7:16PM   
jasonkorff
Thanks for the help! Any ideas on paint? I put a coat of behr extra bright semi gloss, but it seems too bright. Thinking of heading to sherwin Williams to get a can of white instead of ultra white.
November 19, 2012 at 7:19PM     
PRO
Re|Structure Design-Build, LLC
Yes, I think toning down the white a shade, like you are proposing, is a good idea.
November 19, 2012 at 7:33PM   
PRO
Sherwin-Williams Creamy is a nice off white.
November 20, 2012 at 6:47AM     
PRO
Chambers
Well...I'm going to disagree with the others and suggest painting the newel posts dark. Leave the balusters white as they are, but do the newels (the top and bottom posts) dark. I think it would add some drama to the entry. And think about another handrail on the wall, even if you have to do it later; it's too "Home Depot" looking in your nice entry...maybe even a wrought iron rail with beautiful brackets would be nice. Peruse entries on this site and see what strikes your fancy...but I like the idea of dark rather than light.
November 20, 2012 at 7:07AM   
joanjean1
I agree with chambers. Dark newel post. The floating rail on the left going up looks really bad. Can you continue the rail on the right rather than the floating rail. Also the balusters are chunky and the alternating length at the base looks weird.
November 20, 2012 at 7:31AM   
PRO
Back to Jason's question about wainscoting. No, I do not think it's necessary. As for the black that I mentioned, it was an idea for the handrail, not the balusters.
November 20, 2012 at 7:37AM   
jasonkorff
Thanks for the suggestions. I darkened the white and it's starting to look a bit better. I'll add another picture. As for the idea of darkening the top and bottom, would you suggest doing that with stain or paint? My whole house is Brazilian cherry hardwoods except for this room, same color as the floor on the stairs. I can't extend the railing on right further because the wall ends at the top. I have a wood worker matching the handrail on the left to the same railing on the right. The guy I bought the home from must have run out of money or something because he didn't care to match the left side handrail or the rail at the top of my stairs to this railing at the bottom. My wife thinks I'm crazy for caring so much about this, but this is my new winter project. Gotta have one!
November 20, 2012 at 9:29AM   
joanjean1
jason, this is what I meant i can take a better/more recent pic of the stairs it curves around the wall at the landing.
November 20, 2012 at 5:34PM   
jasonkorff
Joan, here are some updated photos, showing the latest paint addition using Sherwin Williams basic white. Also, this is a good angle showing how the wall on the top of the stairs stops and turns into another railing. Crazy design - trying to make the most of it. Thanks for the help and ideas!
November 21, 2012 at 5:51AM   
joanjean1
Jason, I have attached a link to a staircase. Finish the floating rail on the left; it will make a world of difference.
. Post updated pics when you are finish.
December 6, 2012 at 6:04AM   
joanjean1
Jason here is a another option
December 6, 2012 at 12:04PM