Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
No way to arrange furniture in long narrow room
tweedie79
November 20, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Please help! We completely remodeled our kitchen a year ago and moved around some walls and I'm afraid I've left myself with a room adjacent to the kitchen that has no way to arrange furniture. There are built-in bookshelves, entryways, doors, and a fireplace to contend with. Please help! The overall dimensions are 11 x 24. I'd like it to be a place where everyone can can hang while I'm in the kitchen, but it's not doing much of anything at the moment.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
olldroo
Yikes, you have backed yourself into a corner. I have a similar room that has 4 doorways, that I am constantly changing around. Don't have a fireplace to contend with though. The only suggestion I can make is that you move your Christmas tree to the corner near the french doors to give that corner some purpose and get some more single lounge chairs, not bulky ones, that you could group in a semi circle around the fireplace. That way you could move the chairs around easily if you need to use the space for a different purpose, even arrange them in front of the fireplace in summer.
0 Likes   November 20, 2012 at 4:42AM
charleee
When I see a long narrow space like this I like to divide it into 2-3 sections. Perhaps you could put two comfortable chairs in front of the fireplace, with a small table between them, and then a games table in another section with four chairs for board games, etc. Your floor plan doesn't enlarge so it's difficult to tell.
0 Likes   November 20, 2012 at 4:57AM
olldroo
That was my first thought olldbob but 11 ft just isn't enough width to do much after allowing for the doorways and traffic flow. I initially thought of putting two small 2 seater lounges at right angles to the fireplace and facing each other until I realised there was a doorway beside the fireplace also.
0 Likes   November 20, 2012 at 5:17AM
stylgrl
My living room is similar, I have my sofa on one side of the fireplace and two comfy chairs facing the sofa ( floating..not against a wall) with a coffee table in the center..(sort of in front of the fireplace but not directly) a sofa table behind the sofa, and a small triangular table between the chairs. The chairs are angled a bit toward each other so the little triangular table fits perfect in the space between them. Now you'll have space for other decor.,(Christmas tree, decorative little side table etc) behind the chairs against the wall. I've lived here for 10 years and tried MANY different ways, this is the only one that works for us. Good luck.
0 Likes   November 20, 2012 at 5:19AM
charleee
Would it be possible to repost a floor plan that will enlarge?
1 Like   November 20, 2012 at 5:23AM
Lina Anderson
Can't get a good perspective of room. I would paint the fireplace, depending on what color you decide to go with either white or cream and the same with the window casings, bookshelves, moulding etc. it will brighten the room up! Can you move the bookshelves. Place a couch along that wall with two slipper chairs facing it. Does your fridge open into that room?
0 Likes   November 20, 2012 at 5:26AM
tweedie79
Wow! I didnt expect so many comments this quickly! Sorry I should have clarified that pic was from last year when we were mid kitchen construction. No Xmas tree and no fridge there any longer. The bookshelves are built ins. I'll post a better pic when I get home.
1 Like   November 20, 2012 at 6:02AM
tweedie79
Better photo
0 Likes   November 20, 2012 at 6:59AM
charleee
Ok! Better. The doorway to the left of the fireplace, can that be closed up? It would make your room much more manageable that way.
0 Likes   November 20, 2012 at 7:14AM
Sheryll Lyn
I thought I was the only one with this horror. I bought my tiny, cottage house already this way and no room or way to enlarge it. I have to use it as my living room & TV room and dining room. FUN. I have my front door at one of the long corners of the narrow width... the fireplace next to the front door, with a coat closet facing the front door and then a bedroom door on one long wall, then a space, then the kitchen door and what used to be a window is at the other side of the short wall.... then come back to a hallway door!!!! Confusing huh???? I finally put a large couch on the wall between the front door and the hallway door and a huge entertainment center opposite before the bedroom door and then a matching bookcase on other side of bedroom door and oh yes, forgot to mention the in between bedroom door and kitchen door us the central heat return..... gag me. Dinette table and chairs by the back door that used to be a window.... lol. It is crazy, but it works the best of all I have tried and tried and tried. And I kept my oldest, ratiest Lazy Boy just a bit in from the hallway door..... yep.
0 Likes   November 20, 2012 at 7:34AM
bamamom
What is the purpose of this space? I did not notice a tv, so thinking it is more of an area for the children (the little table set) and maybe somewhere to relax and read? IS the fireplace actually centered on that wall? What is the doorway to the right of fireplace?
I think maybe a couple of small scale (if you have a mate to the dark brown one in the corner?) chairs placed by the french doors. Space between for small table and space behind to walk through the french doors. You could try 4 slipper chairs, as mentioned above, in a "circle" to the right end of the room. Without arm type chairs the space will still feel open and the chairs are still comfy. Small table in center. Another option, just a very small (twin size) chair and a half. I have one of these in my living room, it actually folds out to a twin size sleeperbed. But two people could sit comfortable. The back could face the french doors and then two small scaled slipper chairs with the back right at the edge of the right side of fireplace. Maybe make that end of the room the conversation area.
The end next to the bookcase the childrens area.
1 Like   November 20, 2012 at 8:01AM
tweedie79
Olldbob I just suggested to my husband last night that we move the door but it goes to our mudroom garage and powder room. I can't think of anyway to reaccess that space
0 Likes   November 20, 2012 at 9:05AM
charleee
Ok, that makes sense. Def don't want muddy wet boots and kids coming straight into the house.

I would look at all the openings to the room to see if there's even ONE you could eliminate. That should help.
0 Likes   November 20, 2012 at 9:11AM
decoenthusiaste
Since there is lots of access to outside and garage, etc. why not go for this flooring look to save wear and tear on carpet? Search for keeping room to see more concepts. The 2nd inspiration looks cozy.
Canary Cottage
Country French Estate: Kitchen
1 Like   November 20, 2012 at 9:22AM
charleee
deco, I LOVE that floor! Great choice....bobbi
0 Likes   November 20, 2012 at 9:31AM
tweedie79
Love the floor... We have a grey-blue slate foyer and orig hardwood in the rest of house. This is our only carpet! When the kids get older I suspect it will be hardwood. When we moved in it was hideous asbestos tile like u find in a school. Yuck!
2 Likes   November 20, 2012 at 9:36AM
bamamom
deco...those photos are awesome! Would work wonderfully in tweedie's space.
0 Likes   November 20, 2012 at 10:09AM
nomadkath
I have 3 ideas.....1. to forget trying to make it a gathering place for many, and concentrate on cozying up a warm reading corner to the left of the fireplace -nice reading light, narrow but pretty area rug in front of the hearth, rustic twig swag on the mantle with little white lights, small wooden rustic table for books. or 2. how about not using the eating counter, and putting a smallish eating table with 4 comfy cushioned chairs right in front of the fireplace....that would make a gathering place for games, or food, or just talking with a cup of tea.......and you could leave all the rest of the area for walkway between rooms..........or maybe 3. an upholstered long bench directly in front of the fire and two small lounge chairs on either side, the right side one pushed over in the corner by the french door. good luck :)
0 Likes   November 20, 2012 at 10:25AM
pcmom1
Love the fireplace. How about turning this into the Keeping Room? Put a round table and four chairs directly in front of fireplace. Place for guests to hang with a glass of wine, family to play games around. Fill the bookshelves with games (and books!).
1 Like   November 20, 2012 at 10:38AM
charleee
Ok, I'll bite, what is a keeping room? Never heard that one before.
0 Likes   November 20, 2012 at 1:08PM
bamamom
An older term for what is now referred to as a family room...but smaller scale. I googled it! Have a feeling maybe more of a European term? But, where as today's modern family room is TV, lounging more of the traditional living room, a keeping room also has a small dining table, etc. to serve as a place to eat as well. At least that is what I interrpret from the google search.
A more cozy and much more versitile family room. No big couchs and recliners.
0 Likes   November 20, 2012 at 1:23PM
charleee
Thank you! They must have built things smaller in those days!
0 Likes   November 20, 2012 at 1:32PM
bamamom
Think old English or French country cottage.
1 Like   November 20, 2012 at 1:35PM
charleee
A little too "intimate" for me!
0 Likes   November 20, 2012 at 1:36PM
bamamom
Found this on Google too:

The latest must-have room in your large or even not so large home is the “Keeping Room”. The name for these rooms originated in colonial times, before homes were 5,000 plus square feet. They were a multi-use room attached to the kitchen or open to it, complete with a fireplace for coziness and warmth.
1 Like   November 20, 2012 at 1:39PM
charleee
Well they sound very nice and cozy, but....Where do I put my stuff???
1 Like   November 20, 2012 at 1:45PM
bamamom
LOL!!!
1 Like   November 20, 2012 at 1:48PM