Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Layout advice photos
rlviolino
November 20, 2012 in Design Dilemma
We need help deciding where to put the furniture in this room. I posted the dilemma but hit the wrong button before I loaded the photos. Thanks for any help.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
decoenthusiaste
First, pianos need to go on interior walls if they are actually played and expected to be kept in tune. I think the only wall you have in this room is on the stairwell side (by it or at the foot of it.) Second, there are lots of plants. If you must keep all of them, put all the small ones that will fit in the window recess by the dining table. I highly recommend a greenhouse for winter storage and a garden for summer enjoyment of them. Remove all the small plant stands, what-not shelves and runner rugs from the room. If the piano can move off the outside wall, place the tall bookshelf where the piano is now and put only the ficus and the fern at that end of the room, if you have no greenhouse. Use your sturdiest stand for the fern and trim the plant so it does not drag the floor. Consider replacing your rocker and the blue chair with two swivel chairs, flanking the fireplace with the sofa straightened to face the FP.. I think you have room and the spotlights for your two horizontal landscapes to hang over the FP. If they are the same size prints and framed alike, leave only the width of their two frames between them and put the bottom of the frames about 4" above the mantel. The blue table by the stairs might look nice under the large window by the dining set. Take a pic of the stairwell side of the room for more suggestions.
Simon Swivel Chair
Nina Swivel Chair
Jolie Swivel Chair, Vance Bermuda
November 23, 2012 at 1:13pm     
PRO
Gabberts Design Studio
Another suggestion would be to remove the lighter oak pieces from the room (chair and curio) and move the sofa to the right of the fireplace (facing the piano) and put two upholstered chairs on the opposite side. It is a bit difficult to tell without a floor plan, but the sofa facing the fireplace seems to cut off the room. Also consider hanging the painting over the fireplace and add a sconce to each side for an elegant touch!
November 23, 2012 at 2:23pm     
rlviolino
Wow, these are great suggestions. I love the chairs you suggested. The throws rugs in the room are temporary as we have an arthritic dog who needs them to keep his footing. I agree that there are definitely too many plants in the room. I'll post photos of the stairwell wall. I'm not sure if the couch would fit by the dinig table if it facies the piano. I'll have to try that.Thanks again for the input.
November 23, 2012 at 2:45pm     
rlviolino
These photos are facing out of the room toward the hallway and kitchen
November 23, 2012 at 2:48pm     
rlviolino
The room is 25' long by 13' at the piano end of the room and 16' by the front door if that helps any.
November 23, 2012 at 3:08pm     
tennisanyone
I would take out the rocking chair and the large fern. and other small plants in the dining room. That is what caught my eye first. Get drapery panels to frame the beautiful bay window and make sure they go to the floor. Center the couch on the rug and the table by the stairs take off the plants and use a mirror on that wall above the table. I like the piano where it is but remove the picture and let the piano be the star. Too any small things in this beautiful room. Take out the side piece in the dining room too.
November 23, 2012 at 8:05pm     
standinginline
A couple things I can see--two larger size ferns on either side of your fireplace, either sitting on natural wood pedestals (so they can hang down) or actually hanging from the ceiling in some way. Large piece above your fireplace--maybe a large mirror with a colorful/ multi colored frame...blues and greens. There are some beautiful reclaimed wood mirrors on etsy.
November 23, 2012 at 8:28pm     
parisgirl1970
Other than the type of rocker you have, the furniture and this room is warm, beautiful and complete. Take things away and it can look unlived in or barren. Your rugs are stunning, your plants are green & healthy looking. It all works! You just need a smaller type of rocker and another room to work on--b/c this ones done very nicely!
November 23, 2012 at 10:51pm     
rlviolino
Thanks again for all of your input and positive support. We're going to play around with some of the suggestions. I'll post photos with the changes.
November 24, 2012 at 6:36am   
rlviolino
We moved the couch, took out the curio cabinet by the fireplace and removed some of the plants. The furniture is for placement only as we will be replacing the couch and chairs once we know how we want to set up the room. The room is not as big as it might look in the photos. With the couch this way it opens up the back half of the room but cramps the dining area. A trade off. Worth it?
November 24, 2012 at 8:06am     
rlviolino
We have this mirror. Would it work in the room on the wall by the stairwell over the plant stand?
November 24, 2012 at 8:07am   
tennisanyone
I say yes to the mirror over the stand but then the stand might be too small. I like the mirror so I would try it.
November 24, 2012 at 7:08pm   
tennisanyone
I like the new arrangement. Do you? My final thoughts, ...the piece that is on the left of the fire place, what is that? Maybe use that by the staircase with the mirror above it. and leave the space blank next to the fireplace. The room needs to breath. Also, I love plants in my house too but the ferns in the dining room are overpowering the room. If they are the same size, I would put them on the fireplace, pictures in the middle and the ferns at either side or remove the picture from the piano and put the fern at each side. The plant on the stand in the corner by the window, I would remove that plant and picture and put the plant on the coffee table. Take the picture off the top of the piano and let the piano be the star. You can also add drapes to the dining room.to either side and make sure they hit the floor. I like what you did. It cost nothing to rearrange the furniture and it makes a big difference. Now you can enjoy the fire and play music.
November 24, 2012 at 7:22pm     
decoenthusiaste
Have you measured the piano and the wall under the stairs? Please see if the piano will fit there. I'm thinking if the piano moves there and the bookcase goes to the piano wall, you can move the sofa to the opposite end of your rug, and open the dining area. This will put the bookcase and sofa at the far end, a pair of chairs at the dining end. Move the plant stand to the narrow wall where the short cabinet is. Can that little cabinet work where the tall bookcase was and is the round mirror too large to go above it? I do like the two paintings on the mantel, but the other little stuff needs to go. Probably should rework the bookcase to make sure the right items are used for decor instead of lots of little things. There is a good tutorial here on Houzz for decorating shelves.
November 24, 2012 at 8:00pm     
parisgirl1970
I thought the over powering ferns were beautiful and rich looking-I wished I could grow some that lush & big! Maybe the tree in the corner and the tiny plants were a bit much.. As far as the sofa, it looks as if you're just looking straight into the piano -and the fireplace is an after thought, to the right.. No. The original place the sofa was, looked much better. Way cozier. It was at the foot of the stairs so it cut nothing really off. With having company now, your sofas back wil be to them as many stay at the table w/ their coffee. Also, b/c the fireplace is SO beautiful, those pics on it don't do it justice! A large amber colored glass bowl or a amber colored glass vase. Or any colored glass item or items. Love some sparkle!
November 24, 2012 at 8:18pm   
tennisanyone
Now I see the picture of the sofa near the stairs. again. Looks like you have enough room behind the sofa. I like it there too. Maybe then you can put the two chairs next to the fireplace facing into the room and the coffee table in the middle. Remove the small table that is left of the fireplace. Too many plants and small stuff around and the picture over the piano has to go. I see another small chest and a chair behind the couch. Do they need to be there? Try that chest near the stairs with the mirror. I would take the runner and small rug away too. Just let the floor be, they are beautiful.
November 24, 2012 at 8:42pm   
rlviolino
New photos. The table that had been to the left of the fireplace is from my parent's house. I moved it to the stairwell wall so that you could get a better view of it. That wall measures 55" and the piano is 62" so if we put the piano there it would overlap the railing by a few inches, not sure if that would be good or not. I also took a photo of the piano with nothing on it so you could see what that looks like. I like the idea of the blue table over where the bookcase is with the mirror over it, or if we don't move the piano the mirror would look nice over the drop leaf table although it wouldn't be very visible. Thanks again for everyone's input.
November 25, 2012 at 7:12am     
tennisanyone
I like the table there. It is beautiful without any scarf on it too. Try the mirror over it. Can you hang those pictures over the fireplace if you are keeping them? I would think about getting curtain panels that are heavier in weight for the dining room and living room and that way the piano won't feel as if it is standing alone on that side, then you can decide if you want anything over it and it will balance out the dining room too. Remove the plant stand and put the plant on the coffee table. I would leave the piano where it is. It is beautiful. It is a focal point. Do you like this arrangement or do you prefer the couch facing the fireplace again? I could go either way but I would still change the things we talked about.
November 25, 2012 at 7:30am   
Stewey
The couch at a 90o angle to the fireplace was definitely the way to go!

We stayed at a cool NY boutique hotel this summer (the Andaz across from NYPL) and it had a long table the length of the couch butted right up against it. It was thinnish-not as wide as a regular DR table. I wish I had measured it. But it still sat 5 people (3 across on the one open side and 2 on either end). This kind of arrangement would work beautifully in your room. It acts as a large console table/workspace when not in use as a DR table. You can always get some stools that are easily stored when you pull the table away for large meals. Or use the same idea, but butt it up against the window.

Also are you wedded to the color on the walls? If you are, when you get your new furniture, think beachy. Good luck!
November 25, 2012 at 7:32am     
tennisanyone
Do you still need that chair and chest in that corner?
November 25, 2012 at 7:40am   
decoenthusiaste
I forgot about the little gateleg table. It looks nice there, but the mirror (or anything that hangs above a piece of furniture) should be 2/3 to 3/4 of its width. Do some measuring before you make holes, and think about putting the table against the back of the sofa as another alternative. I hate that the piano is too wide because it really should be on an interior wall, but have you thought of the bookcase there by the stairs? I think that is the spot for it as it is tall and slender, and the stair bannister pulls your eye up.It will also provide counter balance visually to the fireplace. Do you have an entry where the round mirror could work?
November 25, 2012 at 7:52am   
rlviolino
More photos and a few questions. We moved the bookcase to the stairwell wall, moved the drop leaf table to the little hallway wall and the blue piece to where the bookcase was. Some things work better than others. I like the drop leaf table either there or on the stairwell wall. The mirror is 25" and both the drop leaf table and blue piece are 31". I think the mirror would look nice over either on either the wall to the right of the fireplace or the stairwell wall. It won't work over the drop leaf where it is now as the thermostat is there. The furniture seems to work well this way, like I said, more room for sitting by the fireplace and a nice flow to the room. If the bookcase doesn't work in the room we can move it out. I forgot to move the large plant out of the way before i took the photo but would like to keep it in the room some where. Questions: I like the idea of curtain panels but am not sure what fabric to go with, nor do I know what kind of sofa would look best in here. I like the lighter color as it keeps the room feeling airy. Also, we need to stain the handrail but I'm not sure what to stain it. Thanks again.
November 25, 2012 at 10:47am   
tennisanyone
I do not like the bookcase there. Now that I see the dining room cleaned out, and once you move that plant out, perhaps bring that piece back and put it where the blue table is. You can accessorize it with pretty stemware and some wine bottles and some serving dishes, nothing on top. Believe me , I love my plants too but they can look messy. Add drapery panels to both windows and I think it will be done in terms of rearranging. Is all this working for you? I personally, can't believe the difference in the before and afters. Didn't buy a thing yet and the room feels lighter and pulled together. Rearranging makes all the difference. I really think once you find drapery panels and hang the rods close to the ceiling and make sure them come to the floor, you will see a big difference. in how these room come together. Take down that small picture in the living room too. Try the blue table by the stirs with the mirror. Measure the mirror before you put it up to see if the scale is right.
November 25, 2012 at 11:01am   
rlviolino
I don't think the bookcase goes well near the piano either, the wood clashes. I like how the room is coming along. Thanks again.
November 25, 2012 at 11:32am   
tennisanyone
I'm glad the changes are working for you. I like seeing it too. Right now, there is no investment involved in the big pieces. Maybe I would buy two matching chairs at some point. Not sure about your sofa colors and the rug if it is staying. Right now it is just about rearranging. Measure the windows first, you can get panels in 84, or 95 length off the shelf without it being custom.
November 25, 2012 at 11:43am   
tennisanyone
Did you try the mirror over the drop leaf table by the stairs? You can cut a piece of craft paper first and hold it up before you actually hang the mirror. It seems to be that the dining table and bookcase are dark wood and the same. Am I correct? If so, stain the handrail dark like the wood.
November 25, 2012 at 2:54pm   
susan609
A square coffee table or ottoman will pull your furniture together.
November 25, 2012 at 3:21pm   
rlviolino
A few more changes. I placed the mirror on top of the blue piece to get an idea of how they would go together in the dining area, then I swapped it out with the bookcase. I could get used to the pieces in either place. The paintings were painted by my husband so I'm partial to them staying in the room. We'll hang them up as soon as we're set on where everything is going to go. I can't thank you all enough for the help. It's been fun and a huge improvement. The room is an odd shape and been hard to work with. Ideally the piano would be best somewhere else so the sofa could be at the back of the room but there is no where else and this layout is a good compromise. Thanks again
November 26, 2012 at 7:29am     
tennisanyone
I like the blue piece by the stairs with the mirror and maybe one day, you will get a rectangle mirror that is larger (just see if you like a mirror there at all). I like the bookcase in the dining room. Maybe a some point, you will do two rugs that are similiar in the LR and DR especially if you are going for a beachy feel. The rug is not beachy right now and we were just moving things around. Accessorize the bookcase sparingly with just stemware, wine bottles maybe some books and a few serving pieces. I really think the room needs drapes for weight. and once you do that, you will notice a huge improvement in the feel of the piano. I like the piano there. It is just that the drapes are sheer and does not counter balance it. The room looks fresher and I am happy you are happy. Just goes to show that rearranging and using what you have can make a big difference. Do a side by side before and after when you are done with the drapes. Remember, rods hung above the molding on the outside to make the windows wider. So many great pictures of the right way on this site too and to the floor they must go :)
November 26, 2012 at 7:44am     
susan609
Lookin' good! Can you paint the bookcase the same color as the wall? I t would open up the room more and highlight the pieces you put in it. Also, how about new drapery or drapery panels on the windows, perhaps a shade or two darker than the wall. The soft vertical lines will balance and frame the taller pieces: the piano, the lovely fireplace and the bookcase in the dining room and the bay window.
November 26, 2012 at 9:01am   
Kim D
Hi, I guess I need to know what about the room was not working for you. I thought the original looked super cozy and comfy.
November 26, 2012 at 9:34am     
tennisanyone
Do not paint the bookcase.
November 26, 2012 at 9:48am     
rlviolino
The layout of the original room didn't leave much room for sitting in the living room area to enjoy the fireplace. It was awkward. This layout gives a more open feel to the sitting area. I agree that the windows need draperies and I'll start looking for something although I'm not entirely sure what to get.
November 26, 2012 at 9:57am   
tennisanyone
Are the walls a baby blue? Are you thinking about painting? At some point too, I would change the rug and chairs to a more beachy color scheme if that is what you want. Can I see a photo looking from the fireplace into the rest of the room? Find drapes that have a pattern but not too busy. Your rug might throw everything off but you can remove it too. It is not the right look for a beachy theme.
November 26, 2012 at 10:07am   
rlviolino
This was taken standing in front of the fireplace. The cat seems to always know when I'm taking a photo. We weren't thinking of repainting at this point, the blue looks nice and would work well with a beachy theme. Don't mind the flowers, I haven't put them away with the thanksgiving stuff yet.
November 26, 2012 at 12:28pm     
rlviolino
This was taken standing in front of the fireplace. The dog and cat seem to always know when I'm taking a photo. We weren't thinking of repainting at this point, the blue looks nice and would work well with a beachy theme. Don't mind the flowers, I haven't put them away with the thanksgiving stuff yet.
November 26, 2012 at 12:32pm   
susan609
Blue grey drapery or drapery panels would look nice with the walls and the beachy theme. Your animals are very photogenic.
November 26, 2012 at 12:46pm   
tennisanyone
I like the dog and cat. Yes, blue gray drapery panels. Doilles on the coffee table and quilts don't go with a beachy theme. I do think at some point the area rug in the LR should be pulled up. It will fight with everything you are trying to accomplish because it is so traditional. What is above the flowers on the table? Once you put up the drapery panels I think the stool and picture in the DR will have to be moved. Do you need the sheers on the bay window for privacy? I say, if you don't need them, let the sun shine in.
November 26, 2012 at 2:11pm   
rlviolino
Above the flowers is a small painting and the thermostat. I'm looking forward to finding some drapes that will work and continuing this process.
November 26, 2012 at 2:53pm   
movethisnotthat
your room is looking good, have you tried the round mirror above the fireplace? and the painting in the dining area one above the other beside the bookshelf ? Do you use the fireplace often? If not the fern would look nice in front . the quilts might look more beachy if you framed them,or used them as a table runner. For a different look, try using the little table under the thermostat as a coffee table. Use your piano as piece of art, place a lamp on top, one plant, a large platter or vase, or large basket and maybe a picture on the music ledge. OH, how tall is your table and how wide? It might look adorable behind the couch as a sofa table with a couple of lamps on it as well. Are we having fun yet ? !! I hope you are !!
November 26, 2012 at 3:32pm   
tennisanyone
riviolino, We have worked hard on this room and it is coming together. I'm glad your husband likes it too. Don't accessorize anything but the bookcase in the DR yet. I am sure you have some stemware around and serving dishes and even cookbooks. Scale and balance is everything when you decorate and then you fill in with accessorizes./art. Have fun shopping for the drapes and rods. Maybe woods rods too. Is there a Homegoods store near you? There are so many choices but go for something in the blue/gray family . Take the picture down by the thermostat. Have you thought about painting your kitchen table and chairs? Once I get started, there is no stopping me : )
November 26, 2012 at 4:16pm   
rlviolino
Actually, since you mentioned it, I have thought about redoing the kitchen table to update it. The kitchen is my next project after this one. Home Goods is just up the street. I'll take a ride over to see what they have. We do have some nice stemware that could go on the shelf. And yes, we use the fireplace all the time. It was a great asset when the power was out, kept the chill out of the house.
November 26, 2012 at 4:49pm   
tennisanyone
I was just at homegoods today. Maybe we live near each other. because we had no power either. The other store that might be better is Bed Bath and Beyond and I know that they have bluish gray curtains. You will need alot of them and rods maybe even look for stainless. It can get pricey but worth it.
November 26, 2012 at 5:20pm   
rlviolino
An option. Someone mentioned the mirror over the fireplace so I took a photo of it there just to see how that would look since we haven't hung anything up yet. I'm off in search of drapes. Would I need two panels for each of the small windows?
November 28, 2012 at 6:23am     
tennisanyone
Not sure about that mirror over the fireplace yet. I still want you to use your husbands beautiful paintings in the room. I think you will need 10 panels in all if I counted your windows correctly. Maybe by the piano, I would do one panel for each window, one on the left and the other on the right and swag them a little and the other window in that room, do two panels. Not sure yet. Just get enough panels, you can always return them. Just make sure they go above the molding at the top by about 6 inches and go to the floor. What small windows?
November 28, 2012 at 6:30am   
rlviolino
All four of the windows in the room, not including the bay window of course, are the same size, 23 x45". You know I'm partial to the paintings over the mantel myself.
November 28, 2012 at 6:36am   
tennisanyone
long should be 84inches to the floor then. You just stopped at the sill? The painting might be exactly where they should go after we decide on treatments. I think with two ferns the same size on either side of the fireplace and the two pictures in the middle could be nice. Lets wait and see. You are going for a more clean and modern/beach look. Have fun shopping for drapes and rods. Takes pictures when you get home of them. Accessories are last.
November 28, 2012 at 7:09am   
tennisanyone
Any luck today finding drapes?
November 28, 2012 at 6:09pm   
rlviolino
I found several choices and will post photos in a bit. I'm not sure I embraced my inner beach-themed self but think there are a few good choices. More in a bit.
November 29, 2012 at 4:16am   
rlviolino
It was challenging taking photos of the curtain choices so I laid them out on the table so you could better see the colors and textures. The three choices on the left are more sheer than the two on the right. The one on the far right is a shiny silver, very pretty but I don't think it works. Can you tell anything from these photos?
November 29, 2012 at 6:40am   
rlviolino
I auditioned the curtains on the tension rods that I had the sheers on. I haven't picked out rods yet and I know that will make a difference too.
November 29, 2012 at 6:42am   
tennisanyone
At work. Ill weigh in around 3. From what i can see
Heavy might be better then sheer but not positive
Since i cant really see them. Put one on each
Window
November 29, 2012 at 6:55am   
rlviolino
More photos of the curtains. Not sure these are any better. Catch you later.
November 29, 2012 at 7:21am   
susan609
Excellent color choices but when I brought up the idea of drapery, I pictured opaque floor length panels on either side of your windows. For color, I like both the blue/grey choices as well as the center beige-y with the swirly pattern. You can even go a bit darker in the blue/grey for panels. The important thing is, because your rods are not set as far out as the sills, it causes a slight bulge in the hanging of the existing sheers. You'll want to hang the rods outside, in front and above the window frames. In a quick search for examples (see below) I saw one example using opaque panels, another with sheers. Both look great because of the placement of the rods.
November 29, 2012 at 7:25am   
susan609
Looking at the pix you posted while I was writing, I suggest you use opaque floor length panels on either side and a sheer but light reducing window shade set into the window frame. The bright light detracts from the design. I would choose a color several shades darker than your walls for the panels and a warm white for the shades.
November 29, 2012 at 7:30am   
tennisanyone
Right now im leaning towards the dining room.
Im excited to see them on my computer when
I get home
November 29, 2012 at 7:38am   
tennisanyone
And of couse they should be hung above and
Wider then the molding. Good job.
November 29, 2012 at 7:51am   
rlviolino
I like the first example, the combination of sheers and drapes. The samples I brought home were from BB&B and Penneys. Any place else I should look?
November 29, 2012 at 8:39am   
cathyjoco
I like the example on the right; however about the room change - since your kitchen is so close to your dining room - I think I would opt to try to flip the piano area and the dining area. This would keep the dining area close to the kitchen, but away from the noise. I would try to put the piano on where you had the wall unit. By shifting this, you will widen the sitting area that is more commonly used. You could put the couch back on an angle and use the folded table behind it for a library table...
November 29, 2012 at 9:21am   
tennisanyone
Dont flip the rooms The dining should be off
The kitchen
November 29, 2012 at 9:31am   
cathyjoco
I understand what you are saying, however I had a designer help me in my home. I had a hard time with space and he flipped my dining area and dining room. I wouldn't have ever thought of that and I kept trying to make things fit in the 'right spaces'. In the end it worked great.
November 29, 2012 at 10:14am   
rlviolino
There really isn't a choice as the piano will only fit on the back wall.
November 29, 2012 at 10:26am   
tennisanyone
OK, from the choices I would say the one in the dining room with the lines on it. A little more modern. They update the room by 10 years. I think that is what you are going for. I would not do sheers and drapes. Did they have drapes with some brown it it also. It looks silver. It is heavier in weight and therefore balances out the heavier furniture. The sheers are too delicate and to me, makes the windows seem like they are floating somehow. and that is what was wrong with the white sheers. Of course, when you mount them higher and wider, they won't drag on the floor but should just skim the floor. Also, as far as furniture placement, I love the piano in that spot. maybe at another point you will get smaller side chairs that match and a new modern rug. Try moving the couch, rug and chairs up to give a little more room in the dining room. This room has come a long way.
November 29, 2012 at 11:57am   
tennisanyone
Is that another picture that your talented husband painted on the stairs? Is it in the same beach theme?
November 29, 2012 at 12:07pm   
rlviolino
Were you referring to the painting that was hanging on the wall by the stairwell before we put the mirror there? That's a landscape of a place in Italy. He has painted another lighthouse painting and a beach painting. As for the curtains, I think I understand what you're trying to accomplish. I like the blue/silver curtains with the wavy line in it that you liked although the color is very similar to the wall color. Should I look for something with a bit more contrast? I saw something today that was really pretty but it had brown on it and I'm not sure that would work. Personally, I love the multicolored sheers. Could I use them on either end of a nice rod to frame the windows? It's really hard to tell without the right rods.
November 29, 2012 at 1:06pm   
tennisanyone
I like the wave too. Look how much taller your room looks just by hanging those sheers higher. Maybe before you decide, get the ones with the brown it it too just to compare. I would return the sheers. I'm not a fan of them. Your furniture is brown too. I think you can now see the difference between sheers and a heavier curtain. I like that picture of the lighthouse too. Is that the one hanging up the stairs? You have such personal amazing art. I can't wait to hang it for you. Did you actually hang the mirror? Your front door is right by the dining room right? How about a low bench where that table was so when you come down the stairs, you have somewhere to put your shoes on or off. Do you like the changes?
November 29, 2012 at 1:15pm   
rlviolino
The drop leaf table is on the wall between the front door and the stairs. A bench is something I've often thought about but was not sure where to put it. Yes, I am liking the changes and am extremely grateful for all the help and suggestions. The store that has the blue curtains with the brown in them won't take them back if you hang them on a rod so I'm not sure how I'd audition them.
November 29, 2012 at 1:26pm   
tennisanyone
The pictures were so scattered that I did not notice where it was hanging. I just saw a picture on the top of the steps with a table. I think a grouping of all of them will be better just not sure where yet. Which direction is the lighthouse framed or is it framed?
November 29, 2012 at 1:31pm   
tennisanyone
I never heard of that before. You mean they just don't want you to open the package? This room looks baby blue on my screen. You said the silver curtains is the same as the wall color. Maybe another picture. So from your front door you can go right up the steps to the bedrooms? I think that is where a bench could go at some point. OK I just looked again. Leave the table there for now.
November 29, 2012 at 1:39pm   
rlviolino
Here's another shot of the bluish grey curtains with less sunlight affecting the photo. The walls are a soft blue. The color is actually called glacier blue.
November 29, 2012 at 1:52pm   
rlviolino
The lighthouse painting is horizontal and we haven't framed it yet.
November 29, 2012 at 1:58pm   
tennisanyone
I like it but maybe you want to see about the other drapes with more brown in it. to pick up the table. What about hanging it by the piano so I could see that too. So if you framed it, it would be the same size as the other pictures above the fireplace?
November 29, 2012 at 2:03pm   
tennisanyone
I have drapes that I bought from BB&B that have a wave in them with brown but the main part is green. I think they still have them in brown with some blue in them. Something with more texture and color might be better but keep the silver for now.
November 29, 2012 at 2:15pm   
tennisanyone
How do you feel about a chocholate brown drape? I just saw one on line at BB&B called eclipse grommett Microfiber blackout curtains. This way, if the sun gets too hot., you can close them. Blue and brown look good together and then your couch pillows (brown) will tie into to it too and the picture shows it with blue walls like yours. I'm just not l00% sure about the silver ones yet. What color is the couch to be exact.
November 29, 2012 at 2:26pm   
rlviolino
The couch is cream with grey pillows. It'll be on of the first things we replace. Here's a shot of the curtain by the piano. I rested the rod on the two moldings to give a better look. The painting will be the same size as most of the other ones that he's done.
November 29, 2012 at 2:35pm   
tennisanyone
What do you think? I wish I could jump thru the screen and take a better look :0 At least we can agree for now that heavier curtains are the way to go.
November 29, 2012 at 2:43pm   
tennisanyone
Can you take up that carpet in the LR and expose the beautiful floors for now.?The room is taking on a much more modern feel and that carpet is competing because it is too traditional. Which way do you see this room being? I feel that the DR is looking more modern right now but the carpet is not doing anything for the room. I am so happy that the pictures are all the same direction.
November 29, 2012 at 2:48pm     
rlviolino
We spent a fortune on the rug. I'd like to try to work with it for now but am open to changing it out. And you're right, the photos aren't capturing the colors very well. Thanks again.
November 29, 2012 at 2:54pm     
tennisanyone
What kind of couch are you thinking about? Go for a neutral color whatever you do. Beige, green, gray, brown with no pattern just texture maybe. Keep big ticket items neutral. You can always add pillows and a rug and then put the pattern into new chairs. or plain chairs with pillows too. So many options. I have had the same furniture for over 27 years and have moved several times but they are neutral in color and so through the years they have seen many different colors on them.
November 29, 2012 at 3:04pm   
susan609
I like the rug. It grounds the room and will be a classy contrast as you move more to the beachy look, keeping your LR from becoming too casual. I would stay with a lightrm color for the sofa; 'sand' would be appropriate, in several ways :-) Are there other colors in the carpet that you can pick up in accessories, pillows, etc.?
November 29, 2012 at 4:12pm   
rlviolino
I like a neutral couch too and will probably stay in the same color family as it is now maybe a little darker. Here's a close up of the rug. The colors in this shot are pretty accurate.
November 29, 2012 at 4:36pm     
tennisanyone
It looks like a milk chocholate color base to me with some blue accents. Can you pull the blue out of the rug? So what about dark curtains and then the accents around the room can add that blue in and your husbands painting in with the blue. I might just do one curtain on each window by the piano and then the other window two curtains.
November 29, 2012 at 4:47pm   
tennisanyone
What color is the marble around the fireplace? Looks green or black?
November 29, 2012 at 4:50pm   
susan609
Seeing the rug, it looks like peach and/or coral would be nice with your pale neutrals and blues. Perhaps peach chairs with pillows and accessories that bring in coral, sand and blue. You've really decided and done so much in a few days. It's going to look great!
November 29, 2012 at 4:51pm   
rlviolino
The granite on the fireplace is black with blue speckles throughout, very pretty.
November 29, 2012 at 4:55pm   
tennisanyone
I did peach/coral in the late l980's. Haven't seen anything peach since then. :)
November 29, 2012 at 5:05pm   
susan609
Everything old is new again! Hey, it's not like I suggested balloon shades. Or a big shaggy rocker 'do. LOL Still think a touch of peach & coral would add the right warmth and punch of color, if our energetic homeowner thinks she might like it.
November 29, 2012 at 8:51pm   
tennisanyone
609---I did balloon shades back in the day too. . I just don't think you can find a thing in the stores that are peach nowadays, maybe if you live in Florida or if you still have that color laying around from the 80's. It is not an "in" color right now. Maybe it will come back soon. We are not doing anything custom. Just trying to freshen up the rooms with what she has right now except for the curtains. If she likes the idea, then I say go for it with her. The room is looking great from where we started a week ago. You can take over with her if she likes your ideas better. Its up to her, its her house and an open forum so everyone can have an opinion.
November 30, 2012 at 4:22am   
rlviolino
This whole experience has been great and much more than I expected. I am enormously grateful to everyone for their ideas and input and we are thrilled with how the room is coming out. I especially appreciate how you, tennisanyone, have motivated me with your great ideas and input. This whole decorating thing doesn't come easy to me, its all about trial and error and lots of error on my part. Its been long overdue to finish this room off so that we can really appreciate it. Its the first thing you see when you come into the house and I want it to be a place that we want to hang out. So far, with the new furniture arrangement we've done that. There isn't a whole lot of space in the dining area which is why we bought the small table, but it works and that's the main thing. I'm not sure any of the curtains that I brought home really do the trick in person, its so hard to tell with photos. I will go back to the drawing board and try some other options but it might not be till next week as this weekend is shaping up to be pretty busy. I'll try. I saw a room on this site that had browns and blues in it and it was beautiful but since we have the gray rug I'm not sure how adding brown or any other color would work, again trial and error. I am resisting the urge to jump ahead and ask what color I should paint the kitchen because I'm itching to do that too, but first things first. Me energetic? Only sometimes. Thanks again.
November 30, 2012 at 5:21am   
tennisanyone
Riviolino, I suggested brown, blue and grays. It is a beautiful combination. I like your dining table., very easy to work with and it fits beautifully in the space. You can always reupholster those chairs too., so easy to do. You have so much to work with and only a few tweaks by decluttering and rearranging. This is my favorite kind of decorating, using what you have and just repurposing. Curtains are about trial and error and I can tell you are getting your decorator cap on because you can now see that maybe those silver curtains are not perfect for the space to the best potential. I do like the heavier look better then the sheers but it doesn't hurt to try some more out before you committ. I'll look forward to next weeks curtain choices and whatever pictures you post.
November 30, 2012 at 6:13am   
rlviolino
I'm glad you mentioned the chairs. I meant to ask earlier if it would work if I reupholstered this chair, I've done this once before, and bought a somewhat comparable chair to replace the rocker with?
November 30, 2012 at 6:34am   
nomadkath
love blue, brown and grey together.....it's such a soothing natural combo
what about light over the dining table? its been fun reading through all this....its looking nice
November 30, 2012 at 7:02am   
decoenthusiaste
Really coming along. Would suggest you shop for drapery at countrycurtains.com. They will mail out ten free swatches for you to see and feel. They also have longer lengths in many of their styles. I do think the round mirror is too small for the mantel and prefer your husband's paintings there.I think the prolem with the bookcase is that it is not a china cabinet or hutch which would be more appropriate for the dining area. When you jump fully into the beach theme, maybe you can change it for a more appropriate piece. Craigslist can help you add and subtract pieces if you decide to start working your way to the beach. Keep tweaking!
November 30, 2012 at 7:42am   
tennisanyone
I was going to recommend a chandlier at some point. Baby steps just by decluttering
And rearranging. She is greAt to work with. So willing to try.
November 30, 2012 at 8:09am   
tennisanyone
Sorry rivilano. Im talking about you like you are not reading this. :)
November 30, 2012 at 8:21am   
tennisanyone
Is this in another room right now? How tall and wide is it? Your eye is probably telling you that it is too short for the dining room and the wood doesn't match the table. When you say antique, does that mean valuable where you can't paint it? Just asking. I have a busy weekend too so good luck finding the drapes.
November 30, 2012 at 11:46am   
tennisanyone
Do u have a homebrands store near u. Just
November 30, 2012 at 1:56pm   
tennisanyone
They are in south jersey
November 30, 2012 at 2:01pm   
PRO
RoomForLiving
Put the piano against the stair wall, position sofa to left of fireplace w/a sofa table behind it. Two nice sized square framed pictures (one over the other) between windows where piano was. Two chairs facing the sofa. Large potted plant to right of mantel.
November 30, 2012 at 2:06pm   
tennisanyone
I went in to homebrands ( not homegoods) looking for pillows for
Myself but found curtains fir you that i think you
Might like considering the way the room is going
More modern. They are blue snd brown with a
Pattern I wish i can attach them to here
I will try again later No pillows for me but maybe
Something for u to follow.
November 30, 2012 at 4:09pm   
tennisanyone
Do you know how to take pictures from my computer so I can attached them here to show you? I have never done that before so now I need help.
November 30, 2012 at 7:47pm   
rlviolino
I may not be the best one to advise you on technology things. When you click on the Add a comment box there should be a button below it that says attach image or photo. I use either my Mac or iPad so it might be different on a pc but once you click the add photo button it should then give you options as to where to get the photo from. I was trying to add a photo off the Penneys website and it didn't work so maybe it was the same problem you are having. I'll try again later. I bought several options of curtains in different colors so we can narrow down the search. I found some curtains that I think might really work, they were blue and brown mottled fabric, but they didn't have any in stock so I ordered them just in case I don't find anything in the meantime. If you get on jcp.com the web id # is 7326529. The name of the curtain is casia. I'll audition the other new curtains I bought later and post those photos. We don't have a homebrands here on the island, yes we are in the same neck of the woods, but I really appreciate you taking the time to look for me. You've been a great help. Thanks again.
December 1, 2012 at 5:00am   
tennisanyone
I don't think it is working. I did find a blue and brown curtain with a pattern. It is called Gramercy.
December 1, 2012 at 5:17am   
rlviolino
This is a photo of a curtain I saw on Country Curtains, I liked the color contrast.
December 1, 2012 at 5:34am   
rlviolino
These are the ones from Penneys. Not sure how well this will show up.
December 1, 2012 at 5:42am   
tennisanyone
I like both of them. Does the beige match the sofa. I also found some with a pattern similiar to the silver one but deeper in color and pattern. I can't attach for some reason. I can email if you want.
December 1, 2012 at 6:01am   
rlviolino
Here are two of the better options from BB&B. I like the brown but don't think it works with the rug, and the blue is pretty but not much contrast, and of course they will look better on the proper rods.
December 1, 2012 at 2:02pm   
tennisanyone
The lighting must be terrible because I don't see that as brown, looks burgundy and the blue looks like silver. If I had to pick I would pick the blue. but on my screen, I don't see it as blue at all. Does it have a pattern of some sort or just plain? I wish I can attached those curtains. Which ones do you like best?
December 1, 2012 at 2:43pm   
tennisanyone
Is the blue like an "ice blue" ? Sometimes the contrast doesn't have to be so much especially if you are going to add pillows, artwork, lighting. Is the same kind of blue in the carpet and the specks in the fireplace? How do these compare in person to the silvers ones from the other day?
December 1, 2012 at 3:07pm   
parisgirl1970
I thought Susan 609 had a beautiful pair of clean white sheers shown here, way upper right- only maybe in a softer light beige--your views look very nice, so go easy on the curtains as not to look heavy or depressing. repeat: Your rug is so beautiful. It anchors, warms and makes your whole room. Why would you change your traditional room into a beach theme? For one pretty picture? no. You have a traditional/deco fireplace, and a stunning wrought iron cocktail table. Your couch goes perfect (unless it's worn out). The rocker went (good) and if you take away too much it won't be so charming anymore. Re-arranging is always nice, and if it feels good to you go w/ it. I will mail you my 2 cents.
December 1, 2012 at 3:47pm   
rlviolino
The lighting was off when I took the photos of the brown and blue curtains, a dreary day here yesterday, the brown is very brown and the blue a pretty blue. I'm getting a little frustrated with myself with the curtains. There are so many windows in the room I can't picture what it will look like. I hung a cream colored curtain this morning, the last of the choices that I brought home. We are going to start decorating for Christmas which will probably complicate things. I might have to finish up after the holidays.
December 2, 2012 at 7:06am   
tennisanyone
I have that same curtain in green with brown lines. Ok I understand. Then just hang the white sheers that you had before on all the windows again until after the holidays. You are off to a great start with just rearranging and see if it works for you over the holidays.
December 2, 2012 at 7:19am   
rlviolino
I think I really like the lighter curtains. I am going to try to continue making progress in the living room as I can. What do I replace the sheers with or do I?
December 2, 2012 at 10:52am   
tennisanyone
That curtain comes in a blue with brown or brown with blue I think that might be a better
Color choice the beige adds nothing.
December 2, 2012 at 11:28am   
lonnie HARMS
I personally like how you started out. Sofa faceing squarely the fireplace, your focal point..the Mirror is a NO.. two comfy chairs flanking the mantle makes a conversation starter..your chairs are much to small.. all the LITTLE stuff and small green plants should go. It's apparent that you want a homey feel to your rooms.. Keep it simple but welcoming..two pictures on the mantle is a no.. find the right picture or more traditional mirror. Add some pretty (wood) tall candle sticks. with a middle decor.. one of 3/4 equal height. I think the Piano is lovely and I know about Outside walls etc.. but you want it to be a part of your room not a behind thought... But keep the decor cozy..not cluttered or to little.
Family photos on your piano would be lovely ..keep the dog and cat and the country throw... sit down and enjoy this vintage home and start the fireplace up...
lonnie
December 2, 2012 at 11:30am     
tennisanyone
I liked the sofa facing the fireplace and the chairs flanking the fireplace too
She said it wAs too tight and the room is not as big as it looks. She can
Always move it back now that the table and tall piece is gone in the
Dining room too. Moving furniture costs nothing so i recommend that
First.
December 2, 2012 at 12:07pm     
tennisanyone
Riviolino, continue the search for drapes and show us what you come up with again. I know, it is a long process but part of the problem is that we can all recommend something especially paint/drapes and put up pictures but doing it thru a computer screen is not alway accurate for color. Your eye will tell you when it is right, just like when someone recommended you put the bookcase by the stairs, you saw for yourself that the bookcase wasn't right by the stairs. At least for now, you and your husband like the way the room feels more comfortable. I applaud your willingness to try. Some people ask for ideas and then never do it. Looking forward to the new drapes.
December 2, 2012 at 4:27pm   
Billie G
Have you thought of roman blinds perhaps in dark cream/taupe?
December 3, 2012 at 4:02am   
rlviolino
Would roman shades darken the room? One of the things I like best about the room is the light airy feel. As for the furniture placement trust me when I say that it doesn't work with the couch facing the fireplace. It elongates the room, cramps the sitting area and detracts from the fireplace. We've tried it and hated it to the point that I just wanted to throw out the couch. So far it feels like we're on the right track with this new arrangement and I'll keep plugging away. Thanks for all the input.
December 3, 2012 at 6:30am     
tennisanyone
I got on the JCP web and looked at those drapes. Hard to see but it can work if the colors are blue and brown. We'll see when you get them. I saw blue and brown stripped one at homebrands that could work too. I can't seem to attached them. :(
December 3, 2012 at 6:34am   
alwaysdesigning
Move your curtain rods all the way up to the ceiling; a grommet style panel creates really lovely folds if the fabric somewhat weighty. Bamboo roman shades give a nice privacy cover to the window without being a solid; lets light in when closed during the day. Create a mantel effect above your piano. It will look nice. Add a shelf above, create a display and a mirror above to reflect light and fill in between the windows. You can go slow and not have to change everything at once to live with the changes and see if it is working before you take another step. Switch out furniture with what you have in other rooms; sometimes it's surprising what you find and what works better. Good luck
December 3, 2012 at 6:51am   
PRO
CellularWindowShades.com
For a small window, you might consider something in a shade with a valance or scarf over it. That way you can get the soft treatment feel and the optional window coverage. Shades can then hide behind the valance when not in use! The photo is for example only, the windows are large and the treatments are pretty froofy. :)
December 5, 2012 at 2:08pm   
tennisanyone
Riviolino----I just saw on another post the curtains I had in mind or similiar for you. They are from target and called Farrah Fretwork. How are you coming along. They might compete with the carpet but it is the pattern that I liked for your room. Please do not do a valance.
December 6, 2012 at 12:02pm   
rlviolino
The local Target has them in stock so I'll take a look in person as its so hard to tell from the itty bitty online photos. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm stalled out at the moment trying to get caught up with other things. Thanks for the suggestion.
December 6, 2012 at 2:22pm   
tennisanyone
She bought them in blue but on the screen I thought they were gray. If you get on to the Target website and put the name in, you will see all the reviews and some people even post pictures. One is a good way to hang them and the other is not but you will know what to do. I might take a look myself.
December 6, 2012 at 3:56pm   
tennisanyone
Hello Riviolino. Have you done anything else with the rooms?
December 29, 2012 at 6:23am   
rlviolino
Hi tennis anyone. I was just thinking of you. I brought home the curtains you suggested from Target and the ones I ordered from Penneys came right before Christmas. I also bought rods but have not hung the rods or decided on the curtain yet as it was too hectic around here. I will take photos after new year's and hopefully get back on track. Thanks for thinking of my project. I will say that the space around the dining table seemed a bit tighter than I'd like when we ate dinner in there but I'm not sure there is any way to gain more space. I look forward to making more progress next year. :)
December 29, 2012 at 1:48pm   
tennisanyone
Now that the room is cleared out, you can always go back to the couch facing the fireplace and the two chairs next to it. That would open the dining space too. Just didn't think you liked the room that way. I look forward to seeing what you bought. Have a Happy New Year.
December 29, 2012 at 1:59pm   
rlviolino
Finally. These are the curtains from Penneys that go best in the room. I'm having a hard time getting a good pic because of the sun shining through window. I only have one up so far but it's a start.
January 25, 2013 at 7:42am   
rlviolino
Another view
January 25, 2013 at 8:02am   
Tarey Cullen
enjoyed reading this saga. I'm much better at hanging drywall than drapery. (you have to know your strengths)..But , if I may add a suggestion regarding your husbands paintings. When you have an opportunity take a visit to ( http://www.michaels.com/ ) and peruse their decorative frames and discount coupons. These paintings are wonderful and will become even more dramatic by adding additional mat border and more sofisticated framing. Michaels has stock frames under $20.00. that can work with 11x14 , 16x20,18x24 sizes.( Custom framing will start at 70.00 )
check out : http://www.pictureframes.com .a little more expensive, Here you can upload your art and design your frame and mats on line. ( You can also upload jpeg images of the art and produce reprints ( this requires some expertise in getting the art into digital format but ultimately well worth developing the knowledge when you can produce reprints on canvas for friends and siblings for next Christmas. Here's an example of art with a white mat. I know your husband will appreciate seeing his art enhanced as distinctive decorating element in a mat.
January 25, 2013 at 9:34am   
Tarey Cullen
Thought you should see your husband's art with mat
January 25, 2013 at 9:52am   
decoenthusiaste
Michael's has 50% off this service most all the time.
January 25, 2013 at 10:31am   
tennisanyone
Funny, I was just thinking about you today. I wish I could see the color of the drapes. I assume you like them because you said it goes best with the room. Do you still like the arrangement after living with it for a few months? If the drapes can't go higher because they look like they just touch the floor, can they go wider a bit?
January 25, 2013 at 11:39am   
rlviolino
Thanks for the idea, Tarey, for the paintings. I didn't realize you could use a mat with a canvas. We'll definitely look into that. Hi tennisanyone. I will get a better photo of the fabric and post it in a bit. I have a second rod up so I'll post photos of that too. Slow but surely I'll get there. The layout is still an issue but so far it is better than anything else.
January 25, 2013 at 12:21pm   
rlviolino
We hung the curtains on the four smaller windows. It's going to take a bit of getting used to. The curtains are brown and silvery blue which goes nicely with the wall color and the rug.
Tennis anyone:I liked the curtains from Target
but they didn't go with the existing rug and I was hoping not to have to change it. However, I'm not sure if these curtains give the room too formal of a look. I have hung the rods as high as I can for this length of curtain and the panels go up to the window frame. As it is, I have to let the hems out which I haven't done yet. Thoughts?
January 27, 2013 at 5:53am   
tennisanyone
Riviolino, I like them. To me, sheers are formal. Maybe that is why you are not l00%. I think the room looks more polished. Try pulling the sheers back when you don't need privacy. I still can't see them up close but if you say they go and I do like them too. Go back to the very first picture. Unbelievable and the only new thing you bought are the drapes and hardware. I looked back at where you started and I can't believe the difference. Try your husband painting over the piano now. Just lean them for now. I think the rest will be in accessorizes.
January 27, 2013 at 6:51am   
rlviolino
Thanks. Did you have a specific painting in mind or any of them? I'll try to get a close up of the fabric but it doesn't show true to color. In the room it reads more silvery blue than the brown that the camera picks out. I had to order additional panels for the front window and they should be in next week. Thanks again for your help.
January 27, 2013 at 7:08am   
thelmalouisemom
I like the sofa facing the piano and the small table on the staircase wall. Please remove the lacy runner on the coffee table and small table. It is looking great.
January 27, 2013 at 7:17am   
thelmalouisemom
P.s. love the kitty in the picture. Reminds me of my Thelma and Louise,
January 27, 2013 at 7:19am   
tennisanyone
I can't see them clearly through the screen but it seems they don't compete with the rug and I think the ones from Target would have. Good choice. Try both of the pictures leaning for now.
January 27, 2013 at 7:28am   
swginokc
I personally like the sofa facing the fireplace, but parallel, not at an angle. This creates a nice passageway to the stairs, and separates the seating from the hallway. To me, facing the sofa towards the piano creates 2 focal points in the room, the piano and the fireplace.

Having two picture above the fireplace doesn't have the same impact and focus as one large one. Try one large picture, or a large mirror, and few accessories on the mantle, to create a better focal point. Those two pictures could move and go above the piano, to complement it. A large ottoman could replace the coffee table and also add more seating. Add a large serving tray and a throw on top of it. The chairs on either side of the fireplace could be replaced, to have a larger scale and impact.

The JC Penney curtains are my favorite. If you would put the brackets above and outside the window frame, to give the windows more presence and impact, and seem larger. You could choose a different, but complimenting, curtain panel for the dining area (behind the table). This would help define this as a separate area. If you don't want to do that, you can use the same JC Penney's panels throughout the room, to unify it.

I think that changing the wall color to a light gray, would improve the room and still also look good with those curtains. Try a slightly brownish gray, to warm the room up. Blue grays are cooler, while brown grays are warmer. It looks like this color would blend well with your rug. Be sure not to "match" the rug color, go a bit lighter or darker, and more or less brown than the rug.

Your round mirror looks better above the cabinet, than the mantle. The scale and size match better. Hang in on the wall (about 12-18" above the cabinet),for more impact, giving it height and presence. Make sure that you can use that height for viewing yourself.

Good luck with making it your own!
January 27, 2013 at 8:07am     
sjkingston
Wow, all the changes have really polished up the room. Great job!
January 27, 2013 at 8:23am     
honeyg911
I like the couch where it is (by the dining room). I love your husband's art and think it should go over the piano and put the mirror and other accents on the fireplace. Set off the windows with light colored fabric, since the couch is dark and make sure the window treatment includes a valance and a scarf.
January 27, 2013 at 8:34am     
tennisanyone
Scarf and valences are dated.
January 27, 2013 at 8:49am     
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
For the 2 smaller windows I would recommend Roman shades . For the larger window decorative panels on a decorative rod would look amazing!
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/blinds-toronto/shades-toronto/roman-blinds.html
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/drapery-toronto/panels.html
January 27, 2013 at 4:23pm     
thislittlehouse
Would you mind swapping the couch and the chairs please? I'd love to see the room with the couch on the piano side, and the two chairs on the dining table side!
:) Elise
January 28, 2013 at 1:51am     
pmoynahan
I would place the couch back to the table to give some separation and not put the rocker glider in at all but another club chair perhaps positioned by the other chair
January 28, 2013 at 2:04am     
susan609
To my mind, putting the sofa and the piano on the same side of the room and the smaller furniture on the other backing up to the dining table and chairs will really unbalance your arrangement. Good as is. You've really done some amazing work with your space. Love the brown/silvery blue window panels.
January 28, 2013 at 9:42am   
movethisnotthat
any updates on this room? are you finished with it? do you like it ?
February 2, 2013 at 6:21am   
rlviolino
No changes this week. I slipped on the ice and was nursing my bruises. The rest of the curtains arrived and hopefully I can get the last rod up soon and then do a final update. I love all the input, it's been a great experience
February 2, 2013 at 7:02am   
tennisanyone
Rivolino, Wow, I hope you feel better. Hopefully you can put your feet up in your new comfortable space while you are healing.
February 2, 2013 at 2:00pm   
yuccabooty
Hi Rivolino, If you love plants they should be kept in your lovely living room. You have so much bright light to work with. How about grouping and using them to frame the front window. You wouldn't need curtains and they would filter the bright light. They add cozy appeal and oxygen and it looks like they're well cared for. Animals and plants are restorative when you're not feeling well.
February 2, 2013 at 2:19pm   
tennisanyone
Riviolino, how are you feeling? Did you get a chance to hang the curtains?
February 20, 2013 at 7:21pm