Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
What dining table goes with these chairs? - if any
Karen
November 20, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Hi. My husband loves, loves, loves these chairs and wants to use them for our dining table. It is the artiforte Megan chair. I have no idea what kind of table would "go" with them. We are leaning toward a 48" round, maybe with a tulip base? (we've already had one designer poopoo this combo). We also really like the Cherner table... I never really understood how to match tables and chairs. Our style is modern and I want something with a durable top since I'll probably use it for a desk too.
Thanks! Cinnacracker
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
houssaon
Love those chairs. They seem comfortable enough to move the the living area if you need extra seating. I don't know why a tulip base would not work. It works for me: Notting Hill

How about a glass table: Vail Guest House Or a solid wood: Upper West Side Combo. Or this beauty: Westport, MA Residence: Dining Area
3 Likes   November 20, 2012 at 10:44AM
Aggie Purvinska
Something with a Cylinder Base...you can get a custom chrome or Nickel Cilynder Base at Doug Mockett and I think you can even order custom wood table tops online these days.
0 Likes   November 20, 2012 at 10:53AM
PRO
Chambers
I, too, think the tulip-base table would work with these. Don't get any table with an apron (the piece of wood that comes down from the table top) because the chairs won't be able to be pulled up closely. I'd use a stone top on the base rather than glass because, if you use it regularly, the glass can develop minor (but irritating) scratches. There was another discussion earlier on just that problem. Any type of Scandanavian table would work, anything clean and crisp in style and if budget is an issue right now, look at IKEA. But measure from the floor to the top of the front of the arms before you buy a table to make sure the chairs will go under and one can sit comfortably at table.
0 Likes   November 20, 2012 at 10:56AM
decoenthusiaste
This might work with them.

0 Likes   November 20, 2012 at 10:57AM
michigammemom
I like the stainless table suggested by decoenthusiaste and also suggest the Fuze dining table by CB2. The blocky look and cement-like finish would be a pleasing match with your curvy chairs.
0 Likes   November 20, 2012 at 11:45AM
PRO
ATGStores.com
Hi, Cinnacracker! We love those chairs and would definitely lean toward tables with a mod/contemporary design (http://www.atgstores.com/contemporary-modern-dining-tables_1001_s3.html?). We've selected a few we thought may work well, but there are lots of options. We hope this helps, and good luck!
0 Likes   November 20, 2012 at 12:00PM
Karen
Hi everyone, thank you for your help. We've pretty much decided it has to be a round table. We're worried about how the "arms" of the chair will hit the edge of the table too. The dimensions on line arent too helpful, so i guess we'll have to go find one in person again (hubby saw it in san diego on a business trip).
0 Likes   November 20, 2012 at 5:57PM
j9rob
I love these chairs! Have been trying to decide on something similar and so nice to see someone else with same dilemma re tables.

This tulip table and similar chairs is my current favourite, hope you find it helpful. I have been thinking that an oval may be better than round to accommodate more people on the odd evening that it is needed.

0 Likes   November 20, 2012 at 8:02PM
Darzy
I agree with your designer to "poopoo" the tulip table idea. It's just so "predictable" and contrived. I like the idea of a round table, with a beautiful wood grain...like the upper west side condo wood. I vote for your Cherner table choice.
0 Likes   November 20, 2012 at 8:08PM
Natalie
Any table will look great paired with those chairs---Get 'em!!!
0 Likes   November 20, 2012 at 8:11PM
PRO
karen paul interiors
I would get a round table with some sort of a "reclaimed" type wood top with an "X" base to ground your chairs. My opinion is to have something substantial to put them around and consider the mix of materials. Something along the lines of this table in the size you want.
0 Likes   November 20, 2012 at 8:27PM
Karen
oh dear! How are we ever going to decide?!
0 Likes   November 20, 2012 at 8:43PM
Darzy
No worries Karen! When you see it..you'll say.. I WANT it!. : )
0 Likes   November 20, 2012 at 9:36PM
Karen
What a coincidence, that's exactly what I said when I saw this little gem this morning! Do you think this would work with the megan chairs? The sales lady said they will physically fit, but do you think the styles go together?
4 Likes   November 21, 2012 at 2:13PM
PRO
Macral Design Corp
I love those chairs. Any table look good with those.
0 Likes   November 21, 2012 at 2:29PM
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
I like the Saarinen table with your chairs, despite what other designers think. Of course, you could also use the Saarinen tulip chair with the tulip table. Saarinen Tulip Table | Room and Board Saarinen Upholstered Tulip Arm Chair
0 Likes   November 21, 2012 at 2:43PM
PRO
karen paul interiors
I like your choice of table, as the wood will act as a good ballast and the lines are nice. How does this play out with your need for a practical top?
0 Likes   November 21, 2012 at 4:25PM
Darzy
I think the gem you found is perfect! Your designer can help tie the space together..with your fab chair and table.
0 Likes   November 21, 2012 at 8:35PM
PRO
GONZALO DE SALAS
Hello Karen,
As sculptor and high end furniture designer specialized in modern and original custom made tables I am sure I can show you some table options you might like for those chairs.
The style of my designs really works well with those modern chairs.

I invite you to see my website: "www.gonzalodesalas.com/en"

All my tables are made on demand so I can adapt each design to be adapted in shape, size, materials and finish.
This means you don't have to worry about the arms height because I'll adapt the height of the table to perfectly match the chairs.

In my website there are 3 different catalogs of furniture. The one that will work better for you will be the HIGH DESIGN LINE. These tables are usually made in laquered iron tubes, but can also be done in stainless steel. Altough you'll see them with glass tops, they can also be adapted to wood or marble stone tops.

All is made for creating a unique table for you.

The last picture is a table that would be too small for your need, but the color was similar on the chairs, so it can help you imagine how they would work.

The HIGH DESIGN catalog is not complete in my web site if you like it I can send it by email in PDF.
0 Likes   November 23, 2012 at 10:43AM
Lory Frank
Karen, thanks for asking because I have the same decision to make. It was nice to see all the suggestions. I must work with what I have but now I know what works:)
0 Likes   November 23, 2012 at 10:51AM
Karen
Great. I do really like the solid walnut table I posted above (and Im glad to see some of you did too). The price is a bit north of what we wanted to pay (approx 6k), but we could do that if we were really convinced it was the right piece. My hesitation with it is the fact that I would probably prefer a top that I can work on and eat on and not worry about scratching a 6k piece of art......

Another one Im looking at is attached. The top comes in lacquers or the stained wood and the base can come in metal or powder coating. I like the shape a little better than the tulip base. Lory Farrior- glad to help! Good luck with your decision, it soooo hard!

Thanks for the images of the custom pieces. Very nice, work, but we are not interested in custom since we've had some dissapointments in the past with custom work.
1 Like   November 23, 2012 at 11:03AM
nap_sd
I like the idea of a wood reclaimed top with stainless legs. The wood would be easier to maintain if you are also using as a desk. Of coures, this is personal taste as I don't like too much matchy-matchy, i.e. all "Modern", but like to mix it up for interest.
0 Likes   November 23, 2012 at 11:03AM
Darzy
Hi Karen, Your second choice is also perfect! Maybe even better with the chrome base. BTW..the tulip table may be "predictable" for your chairs but that isn't necessarily a bad thing, because it will work beautifully as well.
0 Likes   November 23, 2012 at 11:59AM
Lory Frank
I believe you should always go with what you love. If you love it, it will work. Listen to your gut. There are many beautiful ideas but you will "know" when you see it. (Like the pair of shoes you don't need but have to have). Ask if you can bring it home and see what it looks like. It may not look right with your chairs, but if you adore it, you will find a place for it.:)
0 Likes   November 24, 2012 at 9:07PM
Lory Frank
Love the chairs btw. Kudos to hubby!
0 Likes   November 24, 2012 at 9:08PM
mayerm
I think glass table top matches to any chair
0 Likes   November 24, 2012 at 9:37PM
PRO
Cynthia Bliss Ray at Ethan Allen Plymouth
The Ethan Allen Midtown Dining Table in any of the three finishes would work well to nod to the chair's clean lines adding the warmth of wood. www.ethanallen.com
0 Likes   November 26, 2012 at 10:35AM
PRO
Custom Home Planning Center
I like the mid century classic leaf expandable in rosewood or teak.(see ebay for good deals on these) or other contemporary if you prefer.
0 Likes   November 26, 2012 at 11:14AM
PRO
ExclusiveMod Furniture
I think a round wood chair will look good with those chairs.
0 Likes   May 20, 2014 at 7:16AM