Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help...Kitchen Remodel for 100+ year old Stucco House: Backsplash
1113fortstockton
November 20, 2012 in Design Dilemma
100+ year old Stucco Home Remodel. Truly love the 'Old World' theme.
Decorating with antiqued angels, Spanish crosses & wrought iron accents…

Biscuit colored cabinets-Hazelnut glaze, black granite countertop, Hammered Copper Hood, Stainless Range and wood floor (wood- has golden undertones)
•Wanting to paint ceiling the AGAVE blue color shown in backsplash sample 2 (2cd from bottom left) with walls painted BUTTER, the lighter shade in backsplash ( samples 1 and 2 bottom left)
•How do I incorporate back-splash, cabinet color with wall color??
•Suggestions on wall color if the Butter color is not liked?
•The stove is stainless & refrigerator stainless... What sink color for Farmers sink?
•The kitchen opens up to a living room with a fireplace: using Umber Rosettas (shown bottom, 3rd photo from the left sample) for the fireplace surround? Any thoughts on backsplash tiles shown in 4th photo bottom left? I would love to use this Umber Rosetta (3rd photo bottom left) for the bathroom walls (my sanctuary). I would think that candlelight would reflect beautifully off the walls lending to a very peaceful environment after a stressful day at work. Ahhhhhh..... :)

My first time to remodel the family home. We are putting our savings into this (so worried I will mess this up)… any constructive assistance will be deeply appreciated… Thank you!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Leigh Durand
I love your choice of tile for the backsplash, it is not my style, but it is very beautiful and I would love to see it finished! My thought is that you have a lot going on in the tile and glazed cupboards you should keep the other elements quiet and do a black porcelain sink to integrate with your countertops, not all the elements have to be focal points. I question what a hammered coppered range hood will look like over a stainless stove though, both are beautiful, maybe not together. Please post when you are done!
November 20, 2012 at 12:52PM     
Leigh Durand
or cream sink if it will match your cupboards.
November 20, 2012 at 1:04PM   
PRO
ct design studio
I've seen copper and stainless mixed, and in this kind of style I think a copper sink would be gorgeous and tie in the hood. I get what you are going for, I love the second tile in from the left, gorgeous! Far left tile with the red trim looks too dark to me. I would say the blue ceiling is just a step too far with everything else going on. I would pick either butter or blue for the walls and tie in the other with accents. As far as your fireplace, it's hard to comment since we don't know what you are doing in there. Good job so far :)
November 20, 2012 at 1:21PM   
houssaon
I love blue ceilings. So I would vote to go with it. The butter can be very pale, like this: Windham Cream HC-6 Paint.

This is a much darker blue than I think you want to go with, but you can see how pretty the combination is: Winding Way Residence.

Good luck with you new +100 year old home! Keep us posted. (And I hope you took before pictures!)
November 20, 2012 at 2:02PM   
1113fortstockton
I wish to thank each of you for the wonderful ideas, insights and direction while I struggle with this process. It is so exciting to receive such inspiring and helpful guidance... thank you so much!

Currently we are at the drywall, mud/tape/texture stage. We went with an 'Old World Skip Trowel texture' to add dimension during those candle light moments and enhance the sunlight as it dances across the wall. This house was falling apart; appraised at $16,000 when we decided to breath new life into it. We are doing most of the work ourselves to save $. Its not easy... its truly a labor of love! :)

Here are some before shots from the outside... I love the old Spanish Arches! You just can't find that anymore...

The inside had 15 tiny, dark rooms that we gutted, removed walls, etc. My husband added arches and a grand hallway so that the rooms could be accessed through a main corridor instead of having to walk through each room to get to the next... Now it is open and airy... :)

Photos of the kitchen as it is now... it will have a corner Thermador Range/hammered copper hood; island... a work in progress...

Thank you again... to each of you who have taken time out of your busy day to inspire and guide us... :)

It is nice to have access to such bright and creative minds during this process... thank you!
November 20, 2012 at 3:18PM   
tsudhonimh
I love the tile, but agree with the others that it's a "diva" and you only get one diva per kitchen. Keep the rest of the materials simple.

If you have not bought the range yet, a black range would look better with the copper hood than stainless steel. I don't mind mixing metals, but stainless is very modern while black is reminscent of the old black cookstoves.
November 21, 2012 at 3:28AM     
Barbara Davis
love the backsplash!!!!
November 21, 2012 at 5:58AM   
1113fortstockton
Keep your helpful hints and votes coming in!! Your input is an incredible help to us!! We are seriously contemplating each suggestion that is made. So know in your heart, we value the time & effort put into assisting us...
Have a Delightful Thanksgiving to all… :)
November 21, 2012 at 3:37PM   
smulou
I love your 2nd tile from the left! We are building a Pueblo Revival and something like that would look very nice. Can you tell me who makes the tile? Your project is ambitious, but sounds wonderful. Please, post pictures when it's done! Thanks!
November 23, 2012 at 1:48PM   
1113fortstockton
We love that one too! We found all the tile samples shown at www.countryfloors.com. That particular tile is : Voysey A-20a 6x6 Multi Inlay, Stoker Grey/Butter, Agave, Chestnut , CRXVOYA66MI; phone: 310 657 0510. Hope this helps! Would love to see picks of your place when it is done with the tile... ;)
November 24, 2012 at 3:35PM   
1113fortstockton
Does anyone know if Whirlpool Sidekicks - frig & freezer come in Black? We were told that going with the Whirlpool Sidekicks , it would look like a built-in, yet fit into our dwindling budget. My husband is the gourmet cook ... Insisting in the Thermador range which only comes in stainless... So I am a little worried about it being too busy with everything else. Thanks again for everyone taking time to vote on the tile choices & words of wisdom!
November 24, 2012 at 4:01PM   
PRO
Texas Lightsmith
November 28, 2012 at 11:20AM   
1113fortstockton
Thank you...texaslightsmith.com... beautiful cabinet doors with copper! very nice! Thanks for the suggestion!
January 28, 2013 at 5:45PM   
PRO
A Shade Above: Home Experience Center & Showroom
Make sure you look into TRUFIG flush mounting receptacles. They literally disappear into whatever material you are using. The last thing you want is some ugly receptacles interrupting the beautiful design of your tile.
May 30, 2014 at 11:02AM   
More Discussions
Backsplash drama
I just changed the counter top but not crazy about...
What color should we paint the walls of our garage?
We just got a new epoxy garage floor finish in shades...
Lighting, paint, media center in my living room
Hello, I have uploaded a discussion about my living...
Need help for home exterior...please!
My husband and I have bought a fixer up. We love the...
Need help picking a sunny yellow paint for retro kitchen
I have a Brady bunch kitchen. I am trying to select...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.