Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Navy sofa and deep wine sofa
kevino50
November 20, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I have two sofas that I want to put into one sitting room. One is navy and the other is a deep wine (almost looks dark brown in some light). What colour scheme should I use and what way should i dress the room to make the look work?
Kevin
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
charleee
Consider brining in a navy and white area rug, with navy and white pillows on the dark wine sofa: [houzz=
]
November 20, 2012 at 2:06PM     
judianna20
bobeeeeeeee, you need sleep. Where is the wine sofa in your attached pix? Kevin needs you alert. And the rug is black! Holy Moley Cow! I am reporting this to Olld!
November 20, 2012 at 7:23PM     
kevino50
Thanks Judy and Bob. Your ideas do help inspire. :)
For the uninitiated, what is Olld?
November 21, 2012 at 12:11AM   
olldroo
We are - Old Ladies Love Design (and a lot of other nonsense) :). Kevin how about some photos of the lounges and the room. On face value I would suggest you have one lounge recovered, it could be cheaper long run to achieve the room you really want. The two colours don't sound like they would like each other very much. If it comes down to second best to make do you will never be happy with it.
November 21, 2012 at 12:46AM   
paul333
Use strong solid white aspects. Keep the tonal quality if the whites very cool. Play with natural wooden elements sparingly and add gold accents to spice up what can easily look blown or washed out
November 21, 2012 at 12:58AM   
charleee
judy, get a grip! The rug is beautiful and navy. Maybe it's your olld eyes?
November 21, 2012 at 1:57AM   
creeser
It's black and Kevin, I like the creams and whites.
November 21, 2012 at 2:42AM   
olldroo
I still reserve judgement until I see the room and the lounges.
November 21, 2012 at 2:44AM   
olldroo
olldbob - maybe it is your olld computer fading. It is black on my screen, couldn't be blacker in fact.
November 21, 2012 at 2:46AM   
charleee
Alright, I'll concede! But honeslty it looks navy on my screen :))
November 21, 2012 at 2:55AM   
olldroo
Too much turkey.
November 21, 2012 at 2:58AM     
creeser
Wild turkey? *snicker*
November 21, 2012 at 3:07AM     
kevino50
Well finally coming back on this topic now. :)
I couldn't put pix of the room, as it was a garage being converted into a small sitting room. It's all done now. We didn't go with the white, as suggested. We decided to go with two colours on the walks to compliment the two couches. Mustard for the navy one and a powder room pink for the wine one. We brought it all together with cushions that have all the colours.
January 21, 2013 at 12:09AM   
kevino50
Here's some pix.
January 21, 2013 at 12:14AM     
kevino50
And some more.
January 21, 2013 at 12:16AM     
olldroo
OMG, can't believe the OLLDS really lost it here. Blame it on Thanksgiving.

Amazing colour combination and you did it all by yourself - take a bow. If I may critique - would you consider painting the inside of door the same colour as the wall? With the timber around the fireplace, I just feel there is too much happening on one small wall.
January 21, 2013 at 4:18AM   
kevino50
Why thank you. :)
Regarding the door. All the doors in the house are white and also the window sills and skirting boards. I'm not in the US. I'm in Ireland and the convention here is for internal woodwork to be either white or a wood stain. I don't know why but it is. Lol An internal door in yellow would be odd. I do thank you for the suggestion, all the same.

I have just started painting the new kitchen and will upload pix of that when finished too.
January 21, 2013 at 6:07AM   
olldroo
Kevin, being an Aussie, we have sort of retained the British ways too and use either white or stain. I do understand what you mean about odd, I couldn't see your skirting and didn't think about window frames. It probably would have been obvious had I been in the room, hard with just photos. I have sometimes painted a window frame if it isn't full length and gotten away with that. It can be a bit of a pain, I have tried a couple of times to blend the timber when I have felt it necessary and ended up in quite a dither knowing just where to stop and start, given up and gone back to all white.

Love to see your kitchen, I hope to have a new one this year sometime so am accumulating all the ideas I can get.
January 21, 2013 at 6:43AM   
kevino50
Sorry for assuming that you are American. I thought that most people on here were. I should have known from your nickname that you were from Oz. :)
Yes I know what you mean about not knowing where to stop sometimes. Hehe
I will be happy to show you pix of the kitchen, before and after. I have been through the process over about three months, so am somewhat expert. :)
There is a great website for designing in 3D and it's particularly good for kitchens, so you should give it a go. It is great for developing and contrasting different ideas you might have. http://www.easyplanner3d.com/
January 21, 2013 at 8:59AM   
olldroo
You're forgiven, Kevin. It is a lot of fun though hearing all different opinions from around the world and seeing how things are done in other countries but then it gets frustrating when you see great products you can't buy. I would assume Ireland is like here and very limited in choice and expensive. I speak to some Scottish ladies who complain of that also. Thank you for the website, it will come in very handy

My kitchen is literally falling apart, this reno is waaaaaaaaay overdue so I don't think I want to take photos of it, I really don't want to remember it. It is small by standards here but that doesn't bother me as I'm totally over fancy cooking. I have to fit everything in pretty much as it is now, I don't have a lot of choice to play around with but I plan on swapping a wall oven and a fridge and I am taking a full length cupboard and a broom cupboard and adding it to my pantry. I saw a great idea here of a pantry with extra bench space in it for small appliances -

[houzz=
]

and as I don't have a lot of bench space and I like things out of sight where they can't collect dust I thought I would like to put a whole U-shaped bench around the pantry and have all my appliances stored there. My existing pantry has power in it so I can extend that for additional power points. I would never have thought of that myself, yet it is so obvious. I also intend to maximise on drawers for storage, I'm getting too old to crawl around on the floor getting into base cupboards trying to clean and find things.

Once I get all the appliances under control that will free up a lot of space in cupboards for 3 drawers instead of 2 shelves so I maximise more on space to offset the extra pantry space, which will be used for storage as well. Of course I have also been purging and downsizing everything I have - that has been a lot of fun.

I have just finished renovating my ensuite and main bathroom - know what you mean about becoming an expert once you have done a renovation. I am presently trying to return order to the chaos from that and also conducting a major purge, husband is horrified at what I am tossing but my joeys are suitably impressed I can be so ruthless, even they are opting to take things rather than see them tossed, and they are the ones warning me about leaving them to clean out when I go!!!! Haven't got any photos yet, in all the upheaval I can't find the 'safe' place I put the battery charger for my camera.
January 21, 2013 at 2:19PM   
olldroo
ooops - forgot to ask, what did you use for your benchtop?
January 21, 2013 at 2:20PM   
More Discussions
choosing style of cork flooring:go with cork look or faux stone?
I know that I want cork flooring and I want click and...
What color to paint the tray ceiling?
Hello, What color would you recommend painting the...
Flooring for a T-shaped living area
My Manhattan apartment has a T-shaped living area....
Windows- to dress or not to dress?
We just moved into our house about a month ago and...
Help me pick a paint color for this kitchen
We bought a house with this kitchen. I can't figure...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.