powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
How to make this unit more modern looking?
sondramartina
November 20, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Should I remove glass doors and try to beef up shelves? Put something on top(,but nbot any kind of plant fake or real,I hate it)?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Barnhart Gallery
So hard to see on my tiny laptop screen, but it looks nice enough from traditional standards. You could update it by taking off the glass doors, painting it (black maybe) if that's not a fabulous cherry wood -- and whatever you do, I'd add a panel to the back to match; your wall color coming through makes it look busier than it has to be.

Only put something large and wonderful on top if you have high ceilings. Just my quick thoughts.
November 20, 2012 at 2:07PM     
sondramartina
I will replace and /or rearange content inside but looking for more ideasbBack of unit is not open, wooden pannels are at the back
November 20, 2012 at 2:33PM   
Dar Eckert
Try painting it. Maybe even a color could bring a lovely accent to the room. Not sure what your room colors are. But it looks like a light gray could be a possibility. Try removing the glass doors or frosting the glass to give them a translucent white color.
November 20, 2012 at 3:15PM   
PRO
ATGStores.com
Hi, Sondra! After staring at this for a minute or two, we wondered what it would look like with all the doors and hinges taken off, leaving the interiors exposed? This may be the quickest/easiest way to make it more modern looking, especially if you add a few decor items inside. Painting it (probably black) may also work, but as Barnhart said - not if it's cherry! We hope you find something that works for you and wish you luck!
November 20, 2012 at 3:39PM     
sondramartina
Atg. I was thinking about removing doors as well and it seems to me like a good idea.I just convinced my husband :) I would not paint it,it is nice, quality wood ,not sure if it is cherry wood.Maybe different knobs on bottom doors.And if i can find thich shelves to replace existing glass ones .Thank you all.
November 20, 2012 at 4:00PM     
dcer
I remove the doors, de-clutter and organize the shelves, and paint it a nice, light color to brighten things up. Maybe a pale sage or cream? Also, you can either paint the hardware or replace it. Another option is that you can paint or wallpaper the back of the shelves for a fun look. Good luck!
November 20, 2012 at 4:03PM   
tindygirl
If this piece were mine I'd pull a bright and cheery color from the largest pattern in the room (whether it be an upholstered piece, rug or drapery) and paint this piece that color with high gloss paint. Then I'd call a mirror installer in to custom fit the glass doors with mirror on the back side of the glass...so they're still glass, but with mirror fitted behind them. That would serve to both update and modernize the piece while also hiding the clutter.
November 20, 2012 at 4:08PM   
tindygirl
PS. Don't forget to change the hardware to chrome or nickel!
November 20, 2012 at 4:09PM   
PRO
Stanton Designs-online design services
You could remove the glass doors and leave it as open shelving. I would also suggest changing the hardware!
November 20, 2012 at 4:17PM   
PRO
Nathan
I would for sure change the handles to a more modern look and like everyone else said make some a bookshelves look
November 20, 2012 at 5:08PM   
ellyn143
We had a beautiful cherry entertainment unit originally purchased for one of those large screen big box style TV's. When we decided to get a new flat screen TV I couldn't bear to part with the furniture so we found a cabinet maker to remake the center portion with a matching panel to mount the TV on. (See before and after photos). I still need to work on accessorizing the glass side cabinets, but overall, I'm really happy with the way it turned out. With a small additional investment we were able to adapt this nice piece of furniture to fit the current technology!
November 21, 2012 at 7:08AM   
sondramartina
What do you guys think if i just remove that leaded trim decoration from glass? Would it look better?I dont even know how to do that,is it difficult? Or better to remove the doors completely?
November 21, 2012 at 7:19AM   
tindygirl
Here's a picture of an white high gloss armoire with mirror detail. This is what I was referring to in my post from yesterday.
November 21, 2012 at 11:35AM   
msbowden
Hi! Are you able to remove the top piece? is it a must have? I think it would definitely make it look more modern.
November 21, 2012 at 11:45AM   
sondramartina
@Tindygirl High gloss armoire looks great bit that would be too much work with uncertain and risky result.
@msbowden. I tried to to remove top part but it looks akward
November 21, 2012 at 12:31PM   
nevadan
Those types of "units" went out with the flat panel screen, just chuck it and start over.
November 21, 2012 at 12:35PM     
decoenthusiaste
Sell it on Craigslist and use the money for what you really want. It is such a shame that the "black box" dominates our decorating investments, schemes and lives!
November 21, 2012 at 2:10PM     
sondramartina
Isnt it already better with doors removed?
November 22, 2012 at 8:11PM   
sondramartina
here
November 22, 2012 at 8:12PM     
stylgrl
Yes it does, have you thought of getting some storage baskets for some of the open shelves? I would still paint it. First clean well with TSP, then you could use liquid sandpaper( deglosser) to make things easier ( no sanding). I would also prime it, the paint store will tint the primer if you are going to use a dark color paint. Then paint as you wish using a small foam roller on the larger surfaces. Personally I think a nice satin black would look great. With some very light distressing. Just sanding off some high spots and edges for a time worn look. The hardware is basic so you could spray paint with a nice metallic spray of choice. I put little knobs on toothpicks stuck into styrofoam to spray. I would use oil rubbed bronze myself, but there are many nice colors to choose from. Of course you could spring for new hardware, it looks like you only will need to replace 5 knobs. Good luck.
November 22, 2012 at 10:01PM   
sondramartina
Thank you Style . Painting furniture sounds very intimidating to me .But one day I will try with some smaller piece.I 've got some chairs in the kitchen,ideal for painting.They will be my guiniepigs.I am working on decorating inside of entertainment unit .
November 23, 2012 at 5:14AM   
sondramartina
After and before :-)
November 29, 2012 at 4:07AM     
smo123
Remove the glass and the top center piece. Good luck!
November 29, 2012 at 5:20AM   
Dar Eckert
It looks better without the glass doors. You should put some wallpaper or paint the back of the cabinet to draw attention to the book shelves.
November 29, 2012 at 5:35AM   
PRO
Final Design Home Staging and Redesign
Annie Sloan Chalk Paint...no need to prime. Google it :)
November 29, 2012 at 5:46AM   
More Discussions
New house, HUGE design challenge w/ front entry.
What do I put on this massive wall. I don't plan on...
What color do we paint our kitchen?
Hello everyone my wife and I have a dilemma as to what...
Help Needed for furniture
I am thinking of making furniture for this wall. I...
Help Needed for furniture
I am thinking of making furniture for this wall. I...
Your Opinion Needed
What do you think about the wine storage? http://www.houzz.com/photos/12421315/Wood-Mode-Looks-traditional-wine-cellar-houston...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.