powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help! Must choose colours by this weekend!
Joanne Erin
November 20, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Big kitchen remodel- our new cabinets are "coconut" and new appliances are black. What should I do for counters, back splash and wall colour??? The whole back wall will be the new kitchen colour, but the other walls will be our living room colour "Spanish moss" (Martha Stewart)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
janishill
I was going to suggest a deep green, but no need to now. :-D

Stratton Khaki by Benjamin Moore would be a nice compliment to the Spanish Moss: http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/dc-15
1 Like   November 20, 2012 at 5:37PM
Joanne Erin
That would be nice. I tend to lean towards greys over creams, but I'm worried it will be too washed out looking. Keep thinking- I need to match in counters and a back splash :)
0 Likes   November 20, 2012 at 5:42PM
janishill
I tend to like warm colors and the shade of green you have choosen is warm. If you add gray (a cool color) the room will never feel 'right'. I have seen people do that and they can never figure out why their room feels 'off', but it due to mixing colors with cool and warm undertones.
0 Likes   November 20, 2012 at 5:46PM
Joanne Erin
Can you picture an eggplant purple, with creamy counters and then a tiles backsplash between the cupboards? You'll see the purple behind the piano and across where the fridge is.
2 Likes   November 21, 2012 at 3:57AM
janaiguana
I like a tomato red or chile red with the Spanish moss and cream tones. Red and kitchens go great together.
0 Likes   November 21, 2012 at 4:14AM
michigammemom
I am not a fan of red kitchens; particularly with black appliances. I would suggest a lighter or darker version of your Spanish moss color for continuity and flow from room to room. Not sure what color your coconut cabinets will be, but recommend that you search houzz for kitchens with similar cabinets to get ideas on counter and backsplash combinations that appeal to you.
3 Likes   November 21, 2012 at 4:58AM
flgrandma
I was going to suggest a blue/green sort of light teal until I saw the Spanish Moss. I'd go along with michigammemom and continue with the Spanish Moss. The light in the two rooms will make the color look a little different, so there may be no need to go lighter or darker.
0 Likes   November 21, 2012 at 5:02AM
sherilj
Try a color called "Balanced Beige" by Sherwin Williams. It is a great neutral with warmer grey tones. It has a very fresh feel and looks good next to other colors. You will be able to pop in any color you want with the finishes.
1 Like   November 21, 2012 at 6:01AM
Joanne Erin
Thanks!
0 Likes   November 21, 2012 at 7:50AM
barbet
If the kitchen is open to the adjacent rooms, just carry the "Spanish Moss" right into the space. It will make the space look bigger, plus you know you already like the color . (Paint is easy and you can always change it later for a new look.)
0 Likes   November 21, 2012 at 9:21AM
Sophie Pandi
Go for the spanish moss but in lighter tones and do something different for your back splash .Use a lief of copper instand of tiles ,i have seen it and i'ts beutifull ,plus it goes nice with the black of your appliances and the spanish moss and will bring the room together !
2 Likes   November 21, 2012 at 9:51AM
PRO
Susan Jablon Mosaics
Hi Joanne!
As a suggestion for the backsplash, I would wait until all of your other color and surface choices have been made before you select your tiles. The backsplash should complement the larger surfaces of the kitchen, i.e. the walls, cabinets and counters. When you have these selected, a glass tile mosaic backsplash is an easy way to bring all your different colors together in one place and give your kitchen a truly cohesive look.
0 Likes   November 21, 2012 at 12:07PM
flgrandma
Just go ahead and paint. You can choose a back splash later..
0 Likes   November 21, 2012 at 6:49PM
Deb Reinhart
It has been my experience to place bold / pattern / color in areas that are easily changed, if you instal counters and prime the walls the room will speak to you ;-) . Listen to what you hear and see ..the backsplash should then be easier to coordinate. With a prime coat go lighter to see if the tone of the color works for you. Tweaking the primed color is easier and less expensive.
0 Likes   November 21, 2012 at 8:31PM
Deb Reinhart
It has been my experience to place bold / pattern / color in areas that are easily changed, if you instal counters and prime the walls the room will speak to you ;-) . Listen to what you hear and see ..the backsplash should then be easier to coordinate. With a prime coat go lighter to see if the tone of the color works for you. Tweaking the primed color is easier and less expensive.
0 Likes   November 21, 2012 at 8:31PM
Joanne Erin
I really loved the olive paint in the Tudor House picture :) I decided on gold travertine for my counters, egg plant purple for the back wall, and shiny black 3x6 subway tiles to tie in the black appliances. Thanks all the ideas :) I'll post a picture once some progress is made
1 Like   November 23, 2012 at 5:58AM
More Discussions
Need help with space above the bathroom door/closet
I hate the dead space above the bathroom door...Any...
Living Room Bay window
We have plain white room darkening shades on now. I...
Let's play with my Snazzy Garottage project
We're building a carriage house (we prefer the term...
wallpaper off in my entry way - now What? can I get the paste off?
I am wanting to redo my 6.5x11 entryway. tore the...
Cream or Gray- VOTE now on a color!
Question on a rug color--- should I do the cream color...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.