powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help with kitchen brightening. Keep stained wood trim and moulding or paint white?
jasonkorff
November 21, 2012 in Design Dilemma
My kitchen has all its wood work stained a cherry color. We're thinking of changing the paint on the walls to an off grey, and contemplating painting the doors and most of the wood work white. Thought we wanted to paint the crown moulding white everywhere except above the cabinets, but two painting companies have advised against it. They both said to paint the baseboards, windows, doors, white, but to leave the crown moulding stained cherry. Really confused as to what to do. Any thoughts would be fantastic! Thanks!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
momsy
Boy do I feel your pain. The cherry cabinets are so beautiful, but they suck light out of a room. Perhaps changing a few cupboard doors to frosted glass and having it wired so they light up when the lights over the island come on. Changing some of your can lights to 'spot' cans (like people use over a fireplace) can bounce some light off the cabinets. There may be a fitting for the cans to diffuse light and bounce it back onto the ceiling to add some reflection. Installing a beadboard or painting the back of the bookcase a stunning color will be a cheap way to bring light into that area. Add thin colorful cushions to the bar stools. Install lighting under the cabinets to flood the counterspace. Its a beautiful kitchen, it just needs a little tweak to get what you want.
November 21, 2012 at 6:24AM   
adrianapimentel
A sua sanca é igual à coroa sobre os móveis. Se você pintar a coroa de branco, ela vai dar a impressão de sanca e deixar sua cozinha com aspecto mais leve. Se você deixar a sanca da cor do móvel, vai parecer que ela faz parte do móvel (como de fato faz). Acho que você deveria pintar de branco. Abraços, Adriana - Brasil
November 21, 2012 at 6:28AM   
PRO
Stoneshop
Hi jasonkorff,

Your kitchen is very beautiful! My advice would be to paint the windows/doors/baseboards white, but leave the crown molding alone for now (just as the painting companies have suggested). If you are still unhappy, then paint the crown molding except for above the cabinets. Change out your pendant light fixtures for ones that are clear, uncolored glass--the yellow ones are really darkening the space. Add under cabinet lighting. Possibly change out some of your cabinet doors to glass inserts. If you are still unhappy with the results, maybe think of painting your island white.

Like I said before, your kitchen is beautiful--you will get there!
November 21, 2012 at 6:31AM     
pivoines
I definitely side with the painting companies, leave the crown molding of the cabinet the cherry wood, they are part of the cabinet. What about putting much stronger wattage light bulbs (60-100) in your pot lights ? change the pendant fixtures to clear glass , again stronger wattage in them to really shed light, also, your chandelier has a finish that mutes light, get one that trows a bright light , install dimmers so you can tone it down when you want . I think your kitchen is beautiful.
November 21, 2012 at 6:45AM   
jasonkorff
Thanks so much for the thoughts. We have lights under the cabinets, just have to remember to turn them on! I like the idea of the eyeball lights and of changing the pendants to a more clear glass. So you don't think it would be weird to have baseboards white with cherry crown moulding? Thanks so much!
November 21, 2012 at 6:55AM   
pivoines
absolutely not , the crown molding above your cabinet are part of your cabinet and would look terrible in white.
November 21, 2012 at 7:07AM     
pivoines
I also agree on painting it white everywhere else ( the doors and woodwork) that will help brightening up the rest of the room. please post pics after, can't wait to see the results.
November 21, 2012 at 7:11AM   
More Discussions
boring brick house front
Our new house is a 70's box with red brick and one...
Help placing pictures!!
I have 3 delightful Norman Rockwell cartoons, all the...
Purchasing the designs you guys create
I want to purchase the designs you guys have designed....
What do you guys think about this furniture arrangement?
I always wanted to add two spaces one for us to watch...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.