Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
How to layout family room furniture??
sotodog
November 21, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Looking to get a new seating, curtains and area rug. The entertainment center will stay as is due to video inputs and proximity to kitchen. Everything else is subject to change. The room is 18' 7" Long and 14' 5" Wide. What shape sofa and/or chairs would you recommend? How about size of area rug? We really don't need curtains to keep the sun out as the room is north facing and I find it is dark in the afternoon. Also the vents are under the windows on the side of the fireplace. Any thoughts or recommendations are welcome?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
decoenthusiaste
I know you said you're keeping the entertainment center, but I'd advise replacing it with a long, stylish, up to date console to hold TV and gear. Do try to avoid buying 'sets' of matching furniture. Coffee and end tables do not have to be alike, but you will need both. Your current rug is way to small, so shop bigger. I advise homedecorators.com for wide selection and good prices. Do you plan to paint or is the yellow staying? Either way, paint wall vents the same so they fade out of site. I'd consider getting a nice sectional and two swivel armchairs. Just a plain sectional without a lounge extension. Place them on the rug, or at lease have the front feet of them on it. You have a couple of options for your windows. Hang stationery panels on decorative rods mounted just under the arch section of the ones flanking the fireplace and extend them out so the drapes cover the trim and part of the wall. The other windows look to be at that same level, so you can be consistent with this around the room. The other option is to buy longer length draperies (available online) and hang the ones at the arches just above the arch. Then the arch-less ones would be hung the same. This will be a more elegant look.
Elegant Reclaimed Wood Media Console
Nylah Home Theater Media Cabinet
Walking Stick
kansas city living
November 21, 2012 at 8:27am     
sotodog
Looking to change colors but have to get DH on board. Not so concerned about the colors though. Where would you put the chairs? I would assume the sectional would be similar in size to the one we have now. I would like to get an ottoman for a coffee table which could also double as seating. I was considering armless chairs like slipper chairs. Again, just not sure where we would place them?
November 21, 2012 at 8:33am   
sucb
Comfort with elegance & space
November 21, 2012 at 10:36am   
decoenthusiaste
You could flank the FP or the new console with them. They'll swivel to watch TV or toward the sofa for conversation like in #4 below. Shop for an apartment sized sectional so you'll have room to pull it away from the wall a bit. This visual trick will make your room seem larger than it is. The larger the rug you get the more options for furniture placement you'll have (see #2.)
new project
California casual family room
Amoroso Design
living room
November 21, 2012 at 11:45am   
Keerthi Naidu
There seems to be a lot of empty space in the middle. What if you pushed the sofas closer in so they were focused more around the fireplace? I also think a larger area rug would be great in that space. Something like 10 x 14.
November 21, 2012 at 1:12pm     
PRO
Macral Design Corp
The floor is dark. I suggest furnitures and curtains in clear colors.. If you decide change the entertaiment center I would like suggest some ideas.
More ideas ideas, please see my houzz profile.
November 21, 2012 at 1:32pm     
pcmom1
For just a few quick fixes for now. Pull furniture off walls and closer together (have arms touch). Position rug so that it is part way under sofa. Take the valances off all the windows. To brighten up the entertainment center I would fill the cubbies with books bound in light colors. After the holidays you can take all the great advice from above!
November 21, 2012 at 4:04pm     
PRO
CASTLE Design Studio LLC
Hi S, here's a quick plan and sketch. Incorporated a desk and lamps behind the sofa, simple drapery panels, etc with a color palette of yellow, turquoise, white, grey, black, natural wood floors.
November 22, 2012 at 5:05pm     
sotodog
Those are some great ideas to consider.
November 23, 2012 at 4:40am   
PRO
Palomina Oy
Hi Sotodoc,

INSIDEOUT offered a great sketch about a possible plan and PCMOM1 suggested the same idea, too. Try this plan, do not buy new sofas yet, but try to make the sitting area cosy with pillows, throws, sidetables, lamps and baskets.

The entertainment center is great :), just fill the shelves with books etc, but not too many decorative items. Put one chair on each side of the cabinet, so that it will not stand there alone. Hang small paintings with black frames above the chairs. The kids could be the artists there! Be sure that there is a white paspartur framing the picture to enhance the feeling. This large piece of dark furniture needs the right wall colour behind it. Also, the dark floor would look more elegant with a suitable colour on the wall.

My suggestion is, that paint the walls with a similar colour, as in the picture below. The shade is between brown and grey, and is near the colour of latte. This will bring harmony to the room and bring the colour of your furniture together. The idea here is, that do not invest in new furniture, until you are very sure you want something new. Some paint, some paintings, circulate the side tables and chairs you find in other rooms, and find where they fit. The palm with long leaves...put it around the sitting area, raise it on a low table or base. The other one may be too much in the same room.

Best luck!
Heidi
November 23, 2012 at 4:51am   
PRO
Palomina Oy
And the pictures...
November 23, 2012 at 5:04am     
sotodog
Palomina Oy - What is the name of this paint color? I like that look.
November 23, 2012 at 5:32am     
Stacy Johnson
I love Insideout's design plan for you. The wall showing the fireplace. That would look great if you have the basic black and white scheme with accent colors, like she stated with the turquoise, gray, and yellow. That would look beautiful. You have a nice white fireplace with a little soft gray to it. I think her plan. Maybe add some yellow flowers to your entertainment center. You have a nice space and I love the floors. Maybe get an ottoman or a turquoise beanbag for your little guy to play his games and watch cartoons.
November 23, 2012 at 8:58am     
PRO
Palomina Oy
The paint I have been using is manufactured by a Swedish paint factory Sadolin :) but I could ask for the color coordinates, as they are universal. Use a greyish brown, but do not choose a beige shade. If you choose to go for this, try the paint first beside the fire and beside the entertainment cabinet to find the right shade of this color. It may take some tryouts to get it right.
November 23, 2012 at 9:01am     
PRO
Weaver Home Photography
How fun! If you are looking at new furniture, consider a tight-backed sofa, with a durable fabric, like the one on sale at Ethan Allen here: http://www.ethanallen.com/product?productId=7410954&categoryId=6266588. Look at 8X10 or larger rugs. Arrange your furniture, mostly all up on that rug, centered around the fireplace, and you'll have a cool, comfy little spot. Cheers.
November 24, 2012 at 5:31pm   
PRO
Weaver Home Photography
How fun! If you are looking at new furniture, consider a tight-backed sofa, with a durable fabric, like the one on sale at Ethan Allen here: http://www.ethanallen.com/product?productId=7410954&categoryId=6266588. Look at 8X10 or larger rugs. Arrange your furniture, mostly all up on that rug, centered around the fireplace, and you'll have a cool, comfy little spot. Cheers.
November 24, 2012 at 5:43pm   
Nadejda Hristova
that got be fun: check this out:http://www.yliving.com/mash-studios-dresser-pch-28-72-21-d.html;http://www.westelm.com/products/chester-tufted-upholsterd-sofa-g497/?cm_src=rel http://www.barileatherfurniture.com/furniture-collections-1/santa-fe-960/santa-fe-1110.html;http://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod1159401&categoryId=cat1560028;http://www.arzustudiohope.org/category/tribal-heirloom-rugs.aspx; and see crystal lamps Schonbek, I am picky as hell on all, but found these one imaginary differently cool, I believe mint color is very nice SW 6735 Minted as on the floors , picked up for a kid room, but seems nice for everything is just not standard, prices manageable qualities excellent , a lot of room for something different !
November 25, 2012 at 11:05am   
nevadan
The architecture of your room has the vibe of a formal living room, not a family room....are your sure this isn't the living room area? if you want a casual family room, maybe you have to add on? Or do something in the basement or garage?
November 26, 2012 at 7:14am