powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Very small bathroom but want a luxury feel (on a budget of course!)
cdnwoman
November 21, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I have purchased a home where I plan to renovate/add three bathrooms. One is currently a two piece powder room with sink on one side and the toilet on the other. There is a closet behind it which I plan to remove and have a shower installed. My contractor says it can be done but I must use one of those very small sinks so that the long bathroom 3' x 9' will have the shower on one end the toilet on the other and the small sink on the middle.

I am also planning on converting a walk in linen closet upstairs to a bathroom, again very small but will be configuration in the very typical bathroom layout, door on short end of rectangular bathroom with 30" sink then toilet then bathtub at other end of bathroom. Is there a better way of configuring this type/size bathroom? I am thinking of open up the ceiling to the roof and possibly adding skylight to make it appear bigger. I want it to have a luxury feel - how do I do that with its size and on a small budget?

Lastly, I am going to be updating an existing bathroom again with the typical layout just described above. Any suggestion to make ti look spa like? What are the elements that make a bathroom seem like a spa and luxurious (other then size)?

Thank you for any help
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Susan Jablon Mosaics
Hi catherinesauve!
One way to make a bathroom feel like a luxurious spa is with the right kind of tile. Doing an all over glass tile mosaic would be a very dramatic statement, but if you need to stay within a budget, you can do things like mosaic stripes or insets. Below are a couple pictures for inspiration, one of them being of an actual spa with floor to ceiling tiles.
November 21, 2012 at 7:56AM   
PRO
Dytecture
Hi, do you have a floor plan so we can have a better idea of the current layout of the bathroom?
November 21, 2012 at 8:04AM   
apple_pie_order
Spa bathrooms have no clutter, visual or tangible. They typically have one decorative item. One, count 'em, one. The decorative item is large: a two-foot high living blooming orchid (not a four-inch African violet), a 36" wide framed and matted print of a shell or abstract (not a 16 by 20 inch reproduction of a Pears soap ad).

Color choices will be light and sophisticated (celadon, cloud gray, ice blue). Large mirrors are typical.

They do not have visible shampoo bottles, toothbrushes, yellow rubber ducks, hairdryers, or combs. All that normal stuff is hidden in drawers and cabinets. (I suppose that shampoo could be transferred to nice looking liquid soap dispensers, but I sure don't think anyone would keep refilling them after the first month or two!). Shower curtains are plain, no pattern, usually white.

Towels are brand new, fluffy and white. If extra towels are visible, they are often in a basket.

Surface finishes are sleek and smooth.
November 21, 2012 at 8:20AM     
cdnwoman
Thank you for everyones assistance.

As to Dytecture, the two larger bathrooms (one that I am building from the large walk in linen closet and the current bathroom that needs updating) are the same floor plan as most bathroom, eg.: Contemporary Bathroom design by San Francisco Architect Cathy Schwabe Architecture

But the other one that is a powder room right now is 6' x 3 ft door is on the longest wall with vanity three ft across on the left side as you enter and the toilet on the right side as you enter. I will add another 3 ft to it by removing an adjoining closet so that the bathroom is going to be 9' x 3 ft.

Does this help?
November 21, 2012 at 9:31AM   
cdnwoman
Traditional Bathroom design by Chicago Kitchen And Bath Stonebreaker Builders & Remodelers
November 21, 2012 at 9:35AM   
cdnwoman
Sorry trying to embed imagine but not working!
November 21, 2012 at 9:35AM   
PRO
Macral Design Corp.
Hi Catherine: I would like suggest you a couple of pieces for your small luxury bathroom.
This pieces are in stock in Miami and there are not too expensive.
For more ideas please see my houzz.
November 21, 2012 at 10:09AM     
PRO
Macral Design Corp.
It made in brass chromed with swarovski crystal elements.
November 21, 2012 at 10:11AM   
cdnwoman
Wow these are beautiful!!! When I get the actual quotes for my 3 bathrooms I will definitely see if I can manage to acquire these accessories!
November 21, 2012 at 11:21AM   
PRO
Macral Design Corp.
thanks Catherine. You can see the prices in my houzz profile, delivery free in USA.

November 21, 2012 at 12:29PM