powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Open concept house, need help on how to define spaces!
richiebkidd
November 21, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Couple questions, A) what do you guys think of the living room color? B) on the left wall thats still white, the living room flows into the kitchen, how far do we make the blue go into the kitchen? and where/how do we stop? should we pick a new color for that section? thanks all
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
charleee
First of all I love that color. As to where to stop the color, Sarah Richardson says any well defined corner is the best place to change a paint color. If YOU like this color, you can have the paint store reduce it by 50% for the kitchen, if you don't want to continue it as is.

I would surely change the blade color on the ceiling fan, either match the floor or go with chrome.
November 21, 2012 at 8:32am     
richiebkidd
Thank you very much for the suggestion! Its so hard because there are no corners from the white wall going forward, I was almost thinking of stopping the blue right above the door on the left, but not sure if that would be too obvious. See attached photo of the kitchen, I think open concept is a blessing and a curse :)
November 21, 2012 at 8:42am   
charleee
I agree, open concept is a blessing and a curse! If for no other reason than you have to keep it all clean all the time, there's just no where to hide the dust bunnies.

I'm sure you realize that if you paint the kitchen you'll need to paint that door, too? And direct sunlight on your floors like shown could actually "bleach" the floor?

I'm guessing you haven't moved in here yet. What is to the left of the fireplace, is that a door (not the slider, but a hinged door)? The blue stopping at the fireplace is awkward. I would be tempted to continue it all the way down that wall, or paint the whole fireplace wall white. There's an outlet above the fireplace for the tv, you could put a bookcase to the right to hold components and dvd's. Once you get the tv up there, and the bookcase in place, you won't see much of the wall color anyway. One trick for disguising the tv above the fireplace is to "frame" it with black paint, then when it's off it will blend in. And black would pair well with the shade of blue you have.

Am I close? :))
November 21, 2012 at 8:53am   
itzamelori
What color is that blue paint?
November 21, 2012 at 8:56am     
houssaon
This great cream: Quiet Casual Home: Entryway and Stair would look good instead of the stark white ceiling. See: Dunmore Cream HC-29. You can continue the color into the kitchen.
November 21, 2012 at 8:57am     
nevadan
First, re-paint so that all those walls and surfaces are the same color. That will disguise the somewhat awkward architecture. Use two seating groups - one oriented around the fireplace, one oriented around the TV.
November 21, 2012 at 9:01am   
richiebkidd
@olldbob, in the second photo I posted that is what is to the left of the fireplace, the long wall with the porch door, leading into the kitchen. @itzamelori I forgot the paint color, but I will post it tonight, its from behr, attached is another photo of the paint.
November 21, 2012 at 9:02am     
itzamelori
Thank you, it's gorgeous
November 21, 2012 at 9:06am   
richiebkidd
perhaps I should just have the blue go directly into the kitchen and go the length of the whole kitchen wall as well, there isnt much wallspace in the kitchen, maybe just doing that and a blue glass tile backsplash would look good. See attached kitchen photo a few posts ago from me. however, would this blue go with our brown kitchen cabinets... hmmm.... and yes @nevadan the architechture is quite awkward, @houssano you think the ceiling is too white?
November 21, 2012 at 9:09am     
charleee
I would do exactly that, but if you can, have the door professionally sprayed.
November 21, 2012 at 9:11am   
richiebkidd
@olldbob, what do you mean sprayed?
November 21, 2012 at 9:17am   
charleee
Oh, I mean remove it and take it to a pro paint shop. Unless you're having a pro paint everything? I always do my own painting.
November 21, 2012 at 9:19am     
bamamom
I love that blue!
Since you really can not take the blue around the porch door and stop...this fireplace wall extends straight to the kitchen from the what I see in the pictures and reading, may paint the right side of the fireplace wall white to match the left side/kitchen and ceiling? Leave the fireplace bumpout the blue color.
If you had a corner to stop at on the left, I would have said paint that whole wall blue. The large wall, hanging from the ceiling on the right side of your first photo, I would have painted white to blend with the ceiling. But, after seeing the other two pictures and reading the additional posts, leave that wall alone (the one in original post that kind of is a half wall down from the ceiling). Just paint the right side wall of the fireplace to match the right side and kitchen colors. Have a little sitting area at that end of the room with upholstered chairs with the blue and cream colors and a small area rug.
Good luck!
November 21, 2012 at 10:12am     
richiebkidd
That is a very interesting take on the issue. So basically you are saying just paint the entire wall of the fireplace the same color as the kitchen color correct?
November 21, 2012 at 10:26am   
richiebkidd
I forgot to mention we are installing built in ikea cabinets at opposite sides of the fireplace as well
November 21, 2012 at 10:27am   
bamamom
richiebkidd....No not the entire fireplace wall, just the section to the right of the fireplace. Then the section of the wall that actually houses the fireplace...leave that blue, the middle section of wall. Since that section of the wall goes higher than the sides, it would be a very nice accent wall with the fireplace. Do a large mirror above the fireplace to reflect the opposite end of the room with the builtins.
November 21, 2012 at 11:25am     
ideahuntress
I'm not sure do I like the colour or do I just have an aversion to blue . Does it seem cold or is it just the time of day the pic was taken I wonder ? I would definitely warm up the blue with warm coloured accent pieces . As for where the colour should stop I think just as it is now is fine . I would start a new matching(obviously) colour from the left of the chimney breast and then pick up the blue in accent pieces in the kitchen and vice versa with picking up the kitchen colour in some way in the living room . Have fun dercorating and another great site for ideas is Pinterest.
November 21, 2012 at 11:51am   
mdagg
Love the blue. leave it as it is. The reason is if you carry it over, you will lose the open / high feel of your vaulted ceiling. If you want to accent the kitchen with a colour then pick a complimentary-contrasting color such a s a tan cream or other light color that will go with your stuff. If you send pics of your furniture then I can suggest more. Also, don't make the mistake of using oversized furniture unless you have the floor space to match the vaulted ceiling heights or you will drag the whole space inward.
November 21, 2012 at 11:58am   
Aja Mazin
Awkward.
November 21, 2012 at 12:13pm   
richiebkidd
yes, I agree, the color looks very cold, but it was due to the time of day that it was taken, the sun was setting and it was rather dark.... thanks guys, here is a photo of the dining area color
November 21, 2012 at 12:20pm   
bamamom
Wow...I do like these two colors (and together even). Is the edge of the blue window wall (in this top left picture) even with the dividing wall (in same picture) between dining room and kitchen? IF not, I have an idea...
November 21, 2012 at 12:41pm   
bamamom
I have a feeling that the blue window wall extends into the dining room space and the dividing wall is more in line with the left edge of that window? If so, I know the designers will probably say I'm way off base here; but you could bring the brown color along that whole front wall (dining room and living room) stop in the corner of the living room with the brown. Then the blue would be the long wall from front of house to back and stop in corner of fireplace wall, and the high left wall would still be blue. With that in mind, I think I would then paint the fireplace section of that end the brown matching color from front. This way you have two blue and two brown in the space, even though the cream color on either side of fireplace will carry over to the kitchen. You can use all three colors with some bolder accents in all three rooms to tie it all together.
I definitely would not want to be the person to paint that high blue wall!
November 21, 2012 at 12:49pm   
ideahuntress
Love the colours - have similar ones in my entryway but my blue/teal is darker . I put some red and gold accents in my scheme . I was thinking jewel'd tones when I did it.
November 21, 2012 at 12:50pm   
ohsuzyq
Hi Richie. I'd recommend treating the angled ceiling as a continuation of the vertical wall surface (like folded origami) rather than starkly differentiating the two. Keeping the perfectly horizontal ceilings white is appropriate, but for the vaulted and angled ceilings, I think it would 'flow' better to continue the color across it, even if it's a lighter shade of the wall color. The result will be an enveloping, cozier feeling that will somewhat mitigate the overall sharpness of the hard, angled surfaces.
November 21, 2012 at 1:08pm   
richiebkidd
@ohsuzyq, I like that terminology, "folded origami" bc thats EXACTLY what its like in the living room, very quirky and yet modern. @itzamelori the color of the blue wall is "dark storm cloud" by behr, the brown is pure earth by behr. We picked an earth tone pallette and we love it so far, We also have a nice earthy green in our son's playroom
November 21, 2012 at 1:14pm   
houssaon
How about an earthy (warm) grey to go with the blue and brown. (I love both of the colors). Behr recommends Silver Service to go with Dark Strom Cloud. How about the color for the living room ceiling and the wall into the kitchen and the kitchen? In other words whereever there is a white ceiling, paint it Silver Service.
November 21, 2012 at 2:19pm   
mdagg
When you paint a med to dark color you pull it down and make the room smaller
November 21, 2012 at 4:37pm   
standinginline
I can see... Whitewashed planks of wood all over the ceiling (pricey though, yes), and for a fun effect to "fix" the broken color from the fireplace to the kitchen--built-in cabinets on each side of the fireplace, but the right built in as white with blue backing, and left built-in blue with white backing.
November 21, 2012 at 4:48pm   
surfor
I might consider pulling the blue onto the first part of the ceiling directly above the fireplace .... the purpose would be to heighten the feel of the room and detract from the awkward ceiling. Assuming that the kitchen is to the left of the living room, and that the slider is what we see in the second picture posted of the kitchen, I would consider pulling the blue into the kitchen along the long (slider) wall and wrapping it around the corner.
November 21, 2012 at 9:26pm     
PRO
karen paul interiors
Holy Maloney, you got yourself quite a little conundrum there. Let me take a stab at what appears the easiest, most natural way to approach this. First....in your initial photo you are showing white walls against the higher blue walls. So anything below the upside down V in your ceiling gets painted in the blue. The blue continues wherever the other (brown?) is not. Next you will paint all your ceilings in one color for both rooms. Have the paint store get a gallon of the white base and have them do exactly 1/4 of the formulae for your blue walls and that gets shot into the new can. So you will have only 1/4 of the value of your wall color on the ceiling. That goes on all your ceilings. In the brown room, it will feel somewhat like sky and in your blue room it will be totally compatible with your wall and much lighter without the huge white/blue contrast. If you don't understand what I am saying, we can go through the steps again. This should work well for you. Good luck!
November 21, 2012 at 10:04pm     
richiebkidd
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I have more dilemmas and will be posting them soon as well!
November 22, 2012 at 8:36am   
anewpennameandthata
Have the fan match the ceiling. There is no such thing as a feature fan, in 95% of situations, anyway.
November 22, 2012 at 6:42pm   
PRO
DirectBuy of Fort Worth
To bring that blue into the kitchen you can add it as a glass accent into the backsplash.
November 23, 2012 at 11:54am     
PRO
Kitchen Liberty
Paint is not your problem. Think about raising the floor and/or "lowering the ceiling". Even by extending the ceiling fan on a long pipe, you can create intimacy under it for your table or couches. A "stage" of only 6" taller in a corner with a new floor finish creates a room within the room without walls. THEN, think about paint colors, some fabric for softening the edges and house plants climbing toward the high ceiling. Clerestory windows would help a lot! Consider wood (aluminum exterior) awning windows. 40% cheaper than double hung and they insulate better. Paint walls and ceiling 1 color - it softens the awkwardness a lot. Remove the wimpy white trim at fireplace & take a natural stone to the entire fireplace wall 8-9' to the ceiling break. It feels cold to me: Have you considered terra cotta?
November 23, 2012 at 7:15pm     
richiebkidd
Thank you kitchen liberty, I like the stone wall idea for the fireplace wall. Also thanks direct buy for at backsplash idea, where is that from again?
November 23, 2012 at 7:36pm   
PRO
Kitchen Liberty
You're welcome. What if the stone fireplace wall was flanked by bookshelves? Maybe that flushes the whole end of your room. You could install 1 sweet crown story across all 3 elements. It would make all feel more expansive and less awkward. Then maybe a conversation space with couches or 1 couch 2 chairs thrusting into the room perpendicular from the window wall. You talk, nibble from a coffee table and look outside. There'd still be traffic flow on the end. You could use something like fainting couches nearer the fireplace to keep furniture low and enjoy the glow of the fire.
November 23, 2012 at 8:00pm   
houssaon
That backsplash is perfect for your space! See, it even has a light blue and creamy yellow for the ceiling.
November 23, 2012 at 9:40pm   
nomadkath
like the stone fireplace idea. I'd bring the blue into the kitchen (at least on that one wall) for consistency, and because there's hardly any wall space in there except around the slider....you could minimize it with a window treatment. also bring the blue up the slanted ceiling.........and add some color and warmth with a colorful painting above the fireplace and rug. cream ceiling would be less harsh of a contrast.
November 26, 2012 at 8:43am