powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Just purchased a home and redoing the living room in french counrty reds and yellows
celebrity
November 21, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Redoing my living/family room all in one. I have a floral print (large) in red from country curtains for my window treatments this is my inspiration fabric. my walls are painted butter yellow from Glidden. I want to do a red coventry/burgess plaid sofa and love seat or a red tapestry print with different shades of red because we have grandkids my sofa can be no longer than 87 inches and my love seat no longer than 64 inches. Also if I go with plaid my curtains are a large print floral so what size print should the sofa fabric be in plaid?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
decoenthusiaste
No pic loaded. Can you repost here?
November 26, 2012 at 2:13pm   
PRO
Stanton Designs-online design services
Any pictures of fabric....scale of the plaid will make a difference.
November 26, 2012 at 2:15pm   
celebrity
Attached are my fabrics along with a pic of my tables. need to decide also on a rug color/design and two chairs/recliners for a fabric/design my curtain rods are black. my wall color is a golden butter...but thinking about doing a tuscan finish to soften them.
Thank you so much for your help!!!
November 28, 2012 at 10:40am   
michigammemom
Celebrity, your photos are still missing. Try attaching them in jpeg format.
November 28, 2012 at 12:03pm   
charleee
Sometimes you need to reboot your computer in order to get pics to attach, I've had to do that many times.
November 28, 2012 at 12:50pm   
celebrity
Here are the fabric samples....hope they come through.
Thank You!
November 28, 2012 at 3:12pm   
charleee
Not yet!
November 28, 2012 at 3:17pm   
celebrity
Have you received it yet?
November 28, 2012 at 3:20pm   
charleee
No, and it will be instant, as soon as you click on SUBMIT.
November 28, 2012 at 3:21pm   
celebrity
Here we go!
November 28, 2012 at 3:26pm   
charleee
Not yet! Did you try rebooting?
November 28, 2012 at 3:27pm   
celebrity
Trying again!
November 28, 2012 at 3:35pm   
charleee
Are they in a jpeg format? They need to be. Still nothing, sorry.
November 28, 2012 at 3:41pm   
celebrity
Hopefully this time.....
November 28, 2012 at 3:55pm   
celebrity
Hopefully this time.....
November 28, 2012 at 3:55pm   
charleee
Ok, here's the deal. When you click on browse and you pick your picture, and then you click on submit, if the link in the browse box disappears the pic didn't attach.
November 28, 2012 at 4:06pm     
celebrity
Thank you. I did a repost: redoing my living room in french country.
November 28, 2012 at 4:12pm   
celebrity
Again,,,,
November 28, 2012 at 4:15pm   
charleee
Nope!
November 28, 2012 at 4:28pm   
celebrity
I rebooted....
November 28, 2012 at 4:38pm   
celebrity
I rebooted....
November 28, 2012 at 4:38pm   
charleee
Not yet! But you absolutely get an A+ for effort!
November 28, 2012 at 4:52pm     
celebrity
Okay... I will have to call my son and ask him what is going on with my pc....I'm tired...lol... GOOD night!! I'll try tomorrow.
November 28, 2012 at 5:10pm   
celebrity
one more time
November 28, 2012 at 5:17pm   
celebrity
one more
November 28, 2012 at 5:20pm     
charleee
Woo hoo! Good for you for not giving up! Now I need to go back an re-read your dilemma......ok, I think the scale is fine, but, on my monitor the red in the curtains is more pink than I'd like. Is it pinkish in person? For your rug - you have enough pattern here already. Try to keep it as simple as possible. [houzz=
] Solid red pillows, maybe a yellow one thrown in for good measure. Your walls sound very pretty !
November 28, 2012 at 6:51pm   
celebrity
@olldbob,,, Thank you for your advise and guidance on the pattern scale and rug design. No, the curtains are red in person,,,between a cinnamon and cranberry red.
November 29, 2012 at 8:43am   
charleee
Ok! Well, what I would do is hold the plaid and floral together and make sure the reds are a perfect match, and if they are, go for it ! This kept me awake for hours last night because I was unsure of the rug. French Country tends to have a lot of pattern to it and I'm thinking the rug I suggested would be too plain. What are your thoughts on it? Here's another suggestion: [houzz=
]
November 29, 2012 at 8:53am   
celebrity
@olldbob, LOL...Trust, me I have swatches of the fabrics and they are beautiful together... I have tacked them on the wall laid them on my old furniture... my husband just laughs at me!!! But..Yes, I like your second choice for the rug better..it adds softness and warmth. Now I need to do 2 chairs or recliners.Now this Living room is a multipurpose room and will be used a lot... That is why I also love my plaids this will be my 3rd plaid sofa...lol! They will be together with a table between them. I have been trying to look for durable fabric with the dragonfly design in it or just a solid color with a small pattern in it. What is your thoughts?
November 29, 2012 at 9:16am   
charleee
I'm mad for plaid, too. Dragonfly's sound great! But these giraffe's look like they were made for that rug: [houzz=
]
November 29, 2012 at 12:14pm   
Nancy Hehmann
Good for you olldbob! You really hung in there. So glad celebrity got the pictures to attach.
November 29, 2012 at 12:45pm   
charleee
Carolina, I am nothing if not tenacious. Which is a kind way of saying stubborn !!! Thanks.
November 29, 2012 at 1:19pm     
celebrity
WOW! The giraffes are stunning with the rug I totally agree! Very DIFFERENT!! Thanks!!!
November 29, 2012 at 2:16pm     
victorianbungalowranch
Do you think a green would go well for the chairs or recliners?

An honest to God Provencial print could be nice in a pillow or something--like a foulard or a border print, stylized floral with stripes, depending on how big the room is to absorb the different textures and patterns. The fabrics you have are sort of a modern interpretation in some very pretty colors. Posting pictures of the space can help.

It also depends on your personal tolerance of business and clashing patterns--it can look fun and interesting, or cluttered and jangles the nerves. I like serene rooms--for other people LOL. I like lots of visual stimulation, but that is because I'm a visual omnivore with a way higher tolerance than most people! Both the more is more and less is best options can be lovely in their own way.
November 29, 2012 at 2:55pm   
celebrity
@victorianbungalowranch,,,, To be honestly that was my first thought on the chairs the color green!! I like your idea on the different options of a print for the chairs! I love patterns... for me they are breath taking... lol ... Thanks for your ideas...love them!
November 29, 2012 at 6:46pm   
victorianbungalowranch
I have a real soft spot for beautiful textiles and intricate pattern and color. Provincial is so happy and bright, and can be lovely. I guess it is a little out of favor right now--but who cares? I think it is lovely, especially with a touch of rustic and the unexpected.

Please post pics of the whole room, even with the fabric draped everywhere. I helps to see.

Project: Martini Project
Ideabook: French Country - Blend
December 1, 2012 at 5:37am   
celebrity
@victorian.........A question for you....I will searching one of my favorite furniture store sites i found a line of furniture by England ...called Bill in plaids that has caught my eye. Do you know how well his furniture holds up? My currant living room furniture is by clayton marcus.....which I waited over a year for it to go to the outlet store and paid 1/3 of what it cost retail back home( 10yrs ago)... We have been really please as how well it is holding up ...going through 10 grandkids and 3 state wide moves! So we are empty nesters now and we still like quality furniture. Thank you for your advise!
December 5, 2012 at 12:05pm   
victorianbungalowranch
I'm sorry, but I'm not the one to ask about quality furniture! Just about all of mine is second-hand or not that expensive! Got to say that my really old (1960s?) Ethan Allen has held up well with multiple moves overseas and all over the states and on loan to dozens of Army families before we got it. Weighs a ton too.

It pays to invest in quality in the long run. Solid wood construction, dovetail joints, reinforced corner bracing, etc... make a difference, as you pobably well know. What are you thinking of buying? Are you going to post pictures of what you have and the room?

Perhaps a professional interior designer here can help you with that. :) I'm a historic preservationist who has always loved anything old--art, clothing, furniture and buildings--my whole life, and a textile nut to boot, and have developed an eye for historic design over the years.
December 5, 2012 at 1:54pm   
celebrity
that is good... my mother and 2 sisters are the same way... they always find good thing... me ... I always missed the good deals.. so I usually do outlet shopping..... I will try to post pics my cp is old.Thanks for thoughts.
December 5, 2012 at 5:09pm   
victorianbungalowranch
It sounds like you get good deals. I just never had a that much money to invest, and used up too much on my weight allowance on books to get too much furniture that I really cared about.

Did get a nice painted hutch and sideboard in Germany after oogling them for years--decent price, comes apart, and in pine from the 1920s rather than some heavy thing in oak from earlier, even though I loved those too. Too fancy and it would make the rest of my stuff look shabby in comparison. Kind of wish a got a few other things, like a Dutch or English style hall tree, though now that we have more elbow room.
December 5, 2012 at 6:26pm   
victorianbungalowranch
Hey, I was just looking at the Annie Sloan website (great paint colors BTW, even if you don't use chalk paint.) and she wrote a whole book on how to get the French look. Might be worth checking out! I bet you can get a used copy.

Chalk paint discussion: http://www.houzz.com/discussions/265490/Need-to-decide-how-much-taupe-and-cream-paint (scroll down to bottom)
http://www.amazon.com/Creating-French-Look-Annie-Sloan/dp/1907563954/ref=la_B001H6UE2K_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1355850378&sr=1-2

Interesting blog on French and country inspired tablescapes http://confessionsofaplateaddict.blogspot.com/p/about-this-blog.html

Merry Christmas!
December 18, 2012 at 9:07am   
More Discussions
Can't find the right gray. Please help!
Looking for a beautiful light soft gray paint for a...
dining room dilemma
I'm trying to update our once formal dining room to...
Dark Stone Mosaic: Leave it or paint it?
What on earth should I do with this random backsplash...
exterior renovation needed!
This is a 1960's colonial that needs an exterior face...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.