powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
how to brighten up living space which has wood paneling?
chanthara
November 21, 2012 in Design Dilemma
We are living in a rental unit and our living space is extremely boring! we have a whole wall of wood paneling that looks outdated and has two side windows which open to a grey boring wall and rusted grills. Can't think of anything to brighten up this wall space. Would love to tear out the wood paneling but since its a rental we can't! Any suggestions on ideas we can do to make this space look more inviting wld be great!

Pic is of the said wall and windows!

Thanks in advance!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
apple_pie_order
What is your budget?

I'd say clean the windows inside and out, paint the grills if possible. If you cannot plant something to cover or top the gray walls, try adding cafe curtains with a tension rod to the bottom half of the windows.

There should be cleats for the miniblind cords.
0 Likes   November 21, 2012 at 12:36PM
chanthara
Thanks! We're thinking of putting some potted/ hanging plants possibly to brighten the grey walls and trying to get the grills removed. (makes me feel like i'm in a outdated prison!) . Any suggestions what to do with all the wood paneling? We're getting our tv unit in that space but all that wood gets to me!
0 Likes   November 21, 2012 at 12:40PM
apple_pie_order
Put the tv somewhere else so that you are not looking at it against the windows. Not only will you be able to see the tv better without the window contrast, but you will not be looking at the panelling. You might try putting chairs or a sofa in front of the panelling, then sit with your back to the panelling.
0 Likes   November 21, 2012 at 12:45PM
PRO
Stanton Designs-online design services
Would anything else go up against the window wall. One thing you could do to disguise it a little would be to make that whole wall a drapery wall. You could hang a rod from one end to the other end and the drapery panels can gather in the middle of each window.
0 Likes   November 21, 2012 at 12:46PM
Julie
I agree with Stanton Designs - make it a drapery wall, or at least disguise it so that it looks like one big window (rod across the entire width of the two windows and space in between them.) That's not a view you'd miss, and you could still get the light if the drapes you choose aren't too heavy.

I assume you can't paint either since it's a rental, but you could make a wall facade. Find an interesting wallpaper and apply it to foamboard that you cut to fit the wall sections, then adhere it to the paneling with a temporary adhesive (removable tape or the sticky removable gum stuff.)
0 Likes   November 21, 2012 at 1:03PM
PRO
PH Interiors, LLC
Not knowing what else you have in the room, an option would be patterned drapes and sheers with a vertical detail to further disguide the bars. These would draw your eye away from the pannelling. Plus a colorful print. Here's what I'm thinking.....
0 Likes   November 21, 2012 at 1:11PM
agarcia3201
Search wall paper rental on Pinterest. There are so many ideas for covering walls in rentals you'll be blown away!
0 Likes   November 21, 2012 at 1:16PM
chanthara
Thanks all for the suggestions!

@apple_pie_order the wiring for cable is all set for that space. So will probably stick the tv along the wood paneled wall.

As suggested will probably make it a drapery wall or try the option of the wallpaper to cover all that paneling! maybe just use the sheers so I can still get light but cover the grills and the wallpaper to brighten it up.

Thanks!
0 Likes   November 21, 2012 at 1:22PM
chanthara
The wall paper suggestions on pinterest seem very interesting. any suggestions on how to get wall paper onto wood paneling without ruining?
0 Likes   November 21, 2012 at 4:23PM
More Discussions
need help with my lounge and dining to take shape
i need paint,accesories and furniture advice to dress...
Elevation
Need help for front elevation
Need help identifying this baby furniture item?
A friend gave this to me and told me it was a walker...
Kitchen layout
I am working on designing a kitchen and looking for...
anyone know where i can find this flooring? preferably wood look tile
looking to find a floor similar to this photo.. preferably...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.