Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need decorative accessories for shallow kitchen alcove
okalcantara
November 22, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Accessories needed that are both functional and decorative. Shallow marble shelving on either side of Viking ovens/cooktop are.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
EB Interiors
How about pretty glass bottles of infused oils for cooking.... or you can bring out the charcoal color of your marble with assorted mini vases all same color
0 Likes   November 22, 2012 at 5:51PM
mel24ody
I think I would go with beautiful spice jars and cooking oils.
0 Likes   November 22, 2012 at 5:56PM
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
On the top shelf I would place a round tray, almost as big as the space. Under the top shelf I would install a magnetic knife rack such as is shown below. Another option would be a spice rack. Granada Oval Trays.GRUNDTAL Magnetic knife rack Iron Spice Rack
2 Likes   November 22, 2012 at 6:59PM
decoenthusiaste
Top for bottles of herb-infused cooking oils. For the bottom, I'd custom fit a piece of material painted with black chalkboard paint for quick grocery shopping notes or memos.
0 Likes   November 23, 2012 at 10:01AM
nevadan
If you cook, the area - too close to stove - will get filthy. Eliminate alcove as soon as pssible. Don't make it worse by sticking stuff in there, it will just look silly.
0 Likes   November 23, 2012 at 10:19AM
nevadan
If you cook, the area - too close to stove - will get filthy. Eliminate alcove as soon as pssible. Don't make it worse by sticking stuff in there, it will just look silly.
0 Likes   November 23, 2012 at 10:19AM
orangecamera
Hm, I think you can think of these spaces more like frames than shelves. I'm thinking you could get B&W photos/posters, laminate and cut to fit into the back of these "frames". I'd do a large picture on each side of your cooktop, and let the shelf sort of disappear in the middle of each one.
0 Likes   November 23, 2012 at 10:22AM
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
Nevadan, perhaps you should not judge the cleanliness of other people's kitchens by the standards of your own.
1 Like   November 23, 2012 at 11:01AM
feeny
I agree it is a perfect place for bottles of oil, spice jars, and other often-used cooking materials.
Mt. Baker
Walnut Wood Countertop - Brooks Custom
Derby Hill Farm Lyme NH
0 Likes   November 23, 2012 at 11:08AM
nap_sd
I would add intermediate glass shelves at the lower section. You can drill (or have someone drill) into the stone for pegs to support the shelves and, as noted before, add your infused oils, vinegars, and spices. Add the large tray or decorative vessel at the upper section. I love having everything right at hand while cooking. Yes, you will need to wipe down periodically, but to me that is worth the look and accessibility.
0 Likes   November 23, 2012 at 11:12AM
Madeline
Caroline Albert-Kind, whatever would make you say that? That's downright nasty and certainly it is uncalled for. Besides, what Nevadan said has a kernel of truth to it. All of those infused-oil bottles will need to be cleaned regularly.
madeline
0 Likes   November 23, 2012 at 11:29AM
greenthumb2
Maybe it could house all tall skinny implements behind a glass door. You can see them, open the cabinet and grab what you need. close the door and voila; master chef. I first thought of a collection of pepper mills from all over the world in different materials. I thought: tall and skinny and colorful. But, how much pepper can we use? Let us know how your kitchen develops. I love how much marble you have in there. Wow. Very Italianate.
0 Likes   November 23, 2012 at 12:06PM
greenthumb2
http://shannoneileenblog.typepad.com/.a/6a0120a5c8d9a9970c0168e4ece204970c-pi
a pretty great collection. not colorful, but beautiful.

or you can bring a little humor into your kitchen, which is usually appreciated.

Can take the shelf out and place a menu board up there. Or, write on wipe off for list of ingredients as you deplete them - list of possibilities, endless.
0 Likes   November 23, 2012 at 12:15PM
Stacy Johnson
spice rack, fancy oil bottles, maybe apothecary jars with rice, pasta, or even fill them with your own favorite spices instead of buying a spice rack. Maybe hang pot holders up?
0 Likes   November 23, 2012 at 12:32PM
Stacy Johnson
Maybe some basil, mint, etc. growing in one as an idea...
0 Likes   November 23, 2012 at 12:52PM
mel24ody
I wish I could find the photo but I remember seeing something similar but it had a sliding door to match the rest of the tile hiding the little alcove. The handle was built into it so you hardly noticed it at all. You would not have to worry so much about the look of the spice jars or bottles matching. If I find the photo, I will try to post it. I hope this made some kind of sense :)
And I really like the idea of a chalk board on the lower shelf as previously mentioned. It would add character :)
0 Likes   November 23, 2012 at 1:35PM