powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
DILEMMA!! I need help with my bi-fold doors which open up into a down stairs bedroom!!
ashleychitty
November 23, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I was wanting to replace these doors, but have found no affordable choice which I liked. The total door size is 72 inches by 80 inches. I am not sure if I want to stencil a design on them, add texture by attaching tiles, or frame the doors with flat casing. I'm looking for a modern but earthly look. THANKS for your suggestions!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Kaplan Architects, AIA
You could paint them to match the adjacent wall color to make them disappear more. I would also update the door pulls keeping the size and shape simple too.
November 23, 2012 at 8:18AM     
feeny
Would a built in, sliding shoji screen (or something equivalent) make sense? I'm just not a bifold door fan.

November 23, 2012 at 8:19AM   
charleee
I totally agree with Kaplan! For texture, you could get the heavily textured paintable wallpaper and paint them, also. Long chrome handles will add a modern touch.
November 23, 2012 at 8:20AM   
decoenthusiaste
Another option might be to attach trim to make them more doorlike, paint the door frame white and the doors black. Add new hardware like pic #3 and they will become a stylish focal point.
black french doors
Wider view of hall with black doors
Georgetown Townhouse
entrance
November 23, 2012 at 8:53AM   
inkwitch
If you're interested in a more "artsy" treatment, you could apply strips of different designs of wood trim vertically or horizontally and paint the whole a glossy color of your choice. I've seen this done to the front of drawers on houzz, and plan to do it to a small nondescript chest of my own.
November 23, 2012 at 8:58AM   
mpoulsom
I just did something with my fireplace that turned out pretty cool, with wood strips. Not finished yet, but you can get an idea of what I'm talking about. You could remove the doors, lay them down flat and glue them on vertically instead of horizontally. It is a very modern and earthy look. Change the hardware and you would have a totally different look.
November 23, 2012 at 9:32AM   
orangecamera
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/diy-wood-art-173470

This was done with wooden shims, glued on and then stained. This would add an interesting texture, which you could stain or paint.

I wouldn't recommend using tiles or anything too heavy on the doors. Too much weight will thrown them out of whack and they won't open and close properly after a while.
November 23, 2012 at 9:38AM     
nevadan
Wait till you can afford to do it right. The doorway needs to be narrowed and a conventional door inserted. In general a dor beside a fireplace looks bad, but yours is even worse.
November 23, 2012 at 10:05AM   
PRO
Jabelone
What's on the other (right) side of the fireplace? More painted wall? Paneling? Shelving? Anything too dimensional, artsy or textured on the bi-folds will draw focus away from the fireplace. You could consider the opposite approach of painting the doors to match the wall color and make them disappear.
November 23, 2012 at 10:48AM   
Nancy Hehmann
Can you go to a place that reclaims doors from buildings and look for French doors or the Barn Door look that slide on Pulleys.
November 23, 2012 at 10:56AM   
PRO
Rustica Hardware
By-pass barn door hardware could be a good option. It gives you a modern and rustic look. Not sure what your budget is be you can take a look on our site here: http://rusticahardware.com/bypass-barn-door-hardware-system/
November 23, 2012 at 1:10PM   
PRO
Portlandshojiscreen
Using handmade papers from Japan, China or anywhere, you can cover the doors. Look up Fusuma in google images or youtube to get an idea...
Real Japanese Fusuma is a shoji-like framework that is completely covered on all sides. Often they used a printed wallpaper like image for a final cover. I'm suggesting just covering the hollow-core doors with paper for a rustic style.You wouldn't need to do the inside. You could wrap the edges with new wood.
sorry, no pix!
November 26, 2012 at 8:33AM   
More Discussions
Odd space off stairway. .help!
This odd shaped space is my pantry on th other side....
Granite seam MAKING ME ANGRY :( can it be improved?
just had granite installed today and the seam is pretty...
need help deciding door style
Need help deciding on door style that would complement...
Arrange Living Room
Help! There's got to be a better way to arrange this...
Need some advice on backsplash please
We just had carrera marble backsplash put in our kitchen....
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.