Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Micro Bathroom layout
highspirited
November 23, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Our basement Bathroom is “TINY”, 6’5” x 5’6” with two doors. I have been playing with several designs. On paper anchoring all the fixtures to the 3 corners seems like the best option. We would like to keep the shower since this bath is connected to a basement bedroom and would be used by guest. We are replacing the entrance door from the family room with a pocket door to save space.
I am attaching a corner layout idea and a current photo.
Any idea??
Thanks
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hollybar
A wet room might also work.I like them with shower doors that swing in. http://homes.yahoo.com/blogs/spaces/design-tips-tiny-swedish-apartment-152415709.html?page=8
2 Likes   November 23, 2012 at 10:30AM
orangecamera
I would place the sink and toilet facing the sink (not in the corner), and the sink flat against the left wall. You would have room for a larger vanity and no need to buy a special toilet. I really don't like the corner toilet. Where would you mount the toilet paper holder so it would be within comfortable reach?
0 Likes   November 23, 2012 at 10:44AM
highspirited
Hollybar,
Loving the concept of the folding shower! Researching a few possibilities now.
THANKS
0 Likes   November 23, 2012 at 2:04PM
victorianbungalowranch
If you want to go with the corner concept, I would look for a corner sink as well as toilet.

I've seen wet rooms overseas, but most people don't like them here, and it is a pain to have to wipe the whole thing down after a shower. Perhasp just the pan, tiled walls and a shower curtain will be more open than having glass doors.
0 Likes   November 23, 2012 at 2:20PM
Elyn's Library
I think the "folding shower" idea is very cool. But would probably be difficult and expensive here in the US.

I like your corner concept and have a few suggestions:

1. If you do go with a corner shower, consider using a simple, plain, clear shower curtain on a curved rod rather than a glass door. You can still see through it, it allows plenty of light, and bather won't feel quite so cornered when they bump their elbows on the walls..

2. Consider using a wall mount or pedestal rather than a cabinet mounted sink. It will free up a bit of floor space and help provide an illusion of a bit more space in the room.

3. Storage will be at a premium so you might consider some "between the studs" shelving to provide a bit of storage - http://www.houzz.com/between-the-studs
0 Likes   November 23, 2012 at 2:42PM
PRO
J & D Interiors
Orangecamera has some very good ideas. The neo angle shower is a good idea but the other corner ideas waste a ton of space and are not very functional. Remember the design rule of thumb 'Form follows function'. Don't you want to be able to do more than brush your teeth in the sink? Where will you store the soap? the toothbrush? Extra toilet paper? Blow dryer? Will you need countertop space?
0 Likes   November 23, 2012 at 11:33PM
PRO
3D-Tile-Design - Bertram Tasch
I personally like your corner solution. And to get even more space I would install a wall hung toilet as far as possible in the corner. Bathroom I would even cut the studs out and re frame it properly. This would give you approx. 8 to 10 inch more space in front of the toilet. And the toilet paper holder would still be within comfortable reach.

There are also corner sink solutions available. Furthermore I would install a corner cabinet above the sink or even an "in wall" Medicine Cabinet. http://www.houzz.com/inwall-medicine-cabinet
Central Park West Renovation

Regards.

Maple Ridge, BC (Greater Vancouver) http://www.3D-Tile-Design.ca
0 Likes   November 24, 2012 at 12:02AM
PRO
Innovative Product Sales International
Rotatable curved shower rod can be custom cut to length, mounts without drilling (for tile, glass and stone) and will rotate back 180 degrees when not showering which offers space back to the room. http://www.nodrillingrequired.com/Curved-Shower-Rods-s/132.htm
0 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 7:26PM
janetdixieinc
Either have sink and toilet face ea other or both facing shower coming off left wall. Would not recommend corner toilet. It becomes the focal point in the room. I'm not sure if the toilet deserves all the attention.
0 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 7:45PM
PRO
"...I'm not sure if the toilet deserves all the attention..." Why not? Modern toiletts are design elements and not just toilets anymore. However they are not cheap. It's all about the budget.

@ highspirited: What software did you use to create your floor plan? Was it an online-solution or a programm installed on your computer?

Cheers, Bertram
0 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 8:28PM
lovebalancedlife
Did you consider sliding door ? . I woudl use Hung toalet and sink. Using it make the space look begger even if you are using a vanety. The sliding door does the same thing. I am not a great fan of corner sink unless it is in the kitchen or the toilet.
I never liked "sitting in the corner"
0 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 8:57PM
PRO
Hello lovebalancedlife highspirited wrote: "...We are replacing the entrance door from the family room with a pocket door to save space..."
0 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 9:19PM
lovebalancedlife
If you are on a budget sliding door "Barn style" is by far cheaper and does not have to loook lke a "barn"
0 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 9:53PM
manon13
I am not sure why you need 2 doors. If e basement does not have too many people around the occasional guests can access by the outside door? In this way you could have a nice sink with vanity on the south wall, the shower in the north corner opposite and the wc right next to the door. So your eyes will be on the shower and vanity when you enter
0 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 10:18PM
tjspot
re:your new pocket door, will it slide into the wall where the sink is shown? if so, where will our light switches go? I understand there is no room in the wall to install an electrical box when you also have a pocket door. looking at your layout, this may mean your wall light switches wouldn't be close to either door entrance. something to consider...
0 Likes   December 1, 2012 at 8:07AM
More Discussions
Bathroom color please advise!
I have just renovated a small bathroom. The wall tile...
kodiebear
Recommendations or thoughts on putting Travertine flooring in a baseme
Hi! Anyone have thoughts on putting Travertine flooring...
smelling
Where to put all our kitchen items
Hi all. We are in the last steps of our kitchen redesign...
Laura Pasek
Need advice for Counterdepth Fridge
Hi everyone--we have an odd space for our fridge. It's...
kriskcor
Contractors, Plumbers - Please help with my water heater fan noise!
I just moved into a new home - new construction. The...
doctornancy
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.