Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with potential apartment combination
needhelpcombo
November 23, 2012 in Before & After
I am considering purchasing and combining my 1 bedroom apartment with the studio next door. I would like to keep the existing kitchen, bathroom and bedroom and create a new large bathroom, master bedroom and potentially another smaller bedroom. The issue is that the studio only has 1 window on the north wall, so basically the whole studio would have to be the master bedroom. I was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions on how I could use the space to either make another bedroom and/or an extension to the living room. Thanks in advance!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Aggie Purvinska
Consider the studio as the Living Room, Kitchen, that way you can end up with more bedrooms.
November 23, 2012 at 12:35pm     
needhelpcombo
I did consider that, however the kitchen in my apartment is only a few years old and it would be a shame to scrap it and turn it into a bathroom. Also, one of the kitchens needs to be the master bath, and I would run into the same situation with windows if I made the existing kitchen the master bath.
November 23, 2012 at 12:46pm   
Aggie Purvinska
I see, I can't really think of any other creative plans unless scrapping pretty much everything, including the new kitchen.
With the new master studio you will have room for a large Master bath and two walk in closets.
November 23, 2012 at 1:09pm   
houssaon
I would talk to an architect if you are serious about the purchase. Other than laying out the space, there might be othr code restraints.

I mocked up a conversion to a three bedroom two bath layout. The question I have is, "can you have a bedroom with out windows in an apartment?"
November 23, 2012 at 1:20pm   
PRO
dat architecture
You definitely can't have a bedroom without a window. Now, it would be interesting to check if the Building owner, allows you to install a window. Maybe you don't even need to ask for his or her permission. I would check that first.
November 23, 2012 at 1:43pm   
PRO
Dytecture
I would first check to see if the demising wall between the 2 units could be altered as it could be a structural wall. Also consider moving switching the bathroom / kitchen of the 1 bedroom unit with the dining room so it allows you to add one more bedroom with an exterior window.
November 24, 2012 at 6:13am     
needhelpcombo
Thanks for your comment. The wall can be taken down, it was done on another floor of my building. As for moving kitchens/baths, it is a co-op in NYC so they will likely require wet areas over wet areas only.
November 24, 2012 at 6:15am