powered by
Before & After
Before & After

Need help with potential apartment combination

needhelpcomboNovember 23, 2012
I am considering purchasing and combining my 1 bedroom apartment with the studio next door. I would like to keep the existing kitchen, bathroom and bedroom and create a new large bathroom, master bedroom and potentially another smaller bedroom. The issue is that the studio only has 1 window on the north wall, so basically the whole studio would have to be the master bedroom. I was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions on how I could use the space to either make another bedroom and/or an extension to the living room. Thanks in advance!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Aggie Purvinska
Consider the studio as the Living Room, Kitchen, that way you can end up with more bedrooms.
1 Like    Bookmark   November 23, 2012 at 12:35PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
I did consider that, however the kitchen in my apartment is only a few years old and it would be a shame to scrap it and turn it into a bathroom. Also, one of the kitchens needs to be the master bath, and I would run into the same situation with windows if I made the existing kitchen the master bath.
    Bookmark   November 23, 2012 at 12:46PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Aggie Purvinska
I see, I can't really think of any other creative plans unless scrapping pretty much everything, including the new kitchen.
With the new master studio you will have room for a large Master bath and two walk in closets.
    Bookmark   November 23, 2012 at 1:09PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
I would talk to an architect if you are serious about the purchase. Other than laying out the space, there might be othr code restraints.

I mocked up a conversion to a three bedroom two bath layout. The question I have is, "can you have a bedroom with out windows in an apartment?"
    Bookmark   November 23, 2012 at 1:20PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dat architecture
You definitely can't have a bedroom without a window. Now, it would be interesting to check if the Building owner, allows you to install a window. Maybe you don't even need to ask for his or her permission. I would check that first.
    Bookmark   November 23, 2012 at 1:43PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
I would first check to see if the demising wall between the 2 units could be altered as it could be a structural wall. Also consider moving switching the bathroom / kitchen of the 1 bedroom unit with the dining room so it allows you to add one more bedroom with an exterior window.
1 Like    Bookmark   November 24, 2012 at 6:13AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Thanks for your comment. The wall can be taken down, it was done on another floor of my building. As for moving kitchens/baths, it is a co-op in NYC so they will likely require wet areas over wet areas only.
    Bookmark   November 24, 2012 at 6:15AM
Sign Up to comment
Related Discussions
I need help with an L shaped open plan kitchen/ living room apartment.
I am starting from sratch converting a garage into...
Need help with my 500sq ft apartment layout
Hi, I'm close to completing on the purchase of the...
Hideous bathroom - I'm sure there's potential there somewhere!
Hi Everyone, Obviously there are many things wrong...
My dining room has so much potential! But I can't seem to find it!
I forgot to mention I am having the Las Vegas mirrors...
Need help with small awkward "corner" in my apartment
I just moved into a lovely apartment, and it has a...
More Discussions
Utility of beadboard on kitchen cabinets
I have old 1960's flat panel cabinets and have thought...
Danell Hiltz
looking for tall industrial cabinet to hide a small tv...
love the restoration hardware industrial tv stands...
Tell us: What would you hide in your Secret Room?
More and more often, we see photos on Houzz of secret...
Emily Hurley
Cooktop or Sink in Peninsula?
Am about to install new counters, so if I'm going to...
Michael Rodriguez
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.