Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
rug and furniture ideas
sprattliz
November 23, 2012 in Design Dilemma
i am having the walls pickled in a white/grey beachy vibe as this room leads out to the pool. Dont want to go modern, but I do want a nautical feel with the furniture in front of fireplace and type of rug. Any ideas are appreciated!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
parisgirl1970
Start adding some blues & whites into your scheme. Maybe a blue w/ some white in that rug you mentioned, in front of the fireplace.The desk is kind of out of place, b/c it hides the window and the light-.I'd find another place for it. Hurricane lamps might go well here for that nautical look. There are so many picures of the oceans and the seas, find a few small ones that fit. Maybe a sailors hat hung by the fireplace?.
November 23, 2012 at 1:29PM     
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
There's nothing like wicker to give you a beachy feel. This group also gives the look the sophistication you will want, while still blending with the rustic fieplace. I am particularly fond of wicker furniture because when it's time to reupholster, it's only the cushions and not the whole sofa that needs recovering.

I'd get a seagrass rug to go with the sectional. Seagrass Rug Or I might be tempted by an off white shag rug. A driftwood end table seems like a mighty good fit for this room.
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
Seagrass Five-Piece Sectional Bello Shag Rug Driftwood Side Table Sweep Upholstered Armchair
November 23, 2012 at 1:48PM     
houssaon
Unless there is a reason for that corner cabinet, I'd get rif of it. The room should look great with the new wall treatment and you will have a neutral slate to add furniture and color.

Here is one inspiration room with blue ticking slipcover and coir rug: Boardwalk Builders. This is a bit more sophisticated: Laguna Cottage. I love the fabric and the wall decorations of this shot: Marcelo Brito & Pedro Potaris - Sao Paulo - Brazil. Crate and Barrel sofa, cool end tables, and lamps: Martha's Vineyard Living Room. Here is another color palette you could use: Living Room. How about this colorful and unusual room: Michigan Summer Home.
November 23, 2012 at 1:53PM   
PRO
Gabberts Design Studio
A striped rug, crisp whites and blues along with natural materials such as drift-wood, shell, coral or glass will add to the nautical charm of this room. Wicker furniture is a great idea, or you could go for a more casual upholstered, or even slip cover look with fun nautical inspired pillows. Don't forget to accessorize! Try lanters, paintings of sea life or even nautical antiques to dress up this room.
November 23, 2012 at 1:57PM   
lefty47
HI -- Good idea on washing the paneling . For the rest of the room see if you ccan find an area rug that has a woven rope texture or something in a navy blue and white stripe. Or a natural woven fiber like sisal or hemp. Canvas slipcovered sofa and chairs with navy accents or accent pillows with that theme. Add in some splashes of red or greens or yellow . maybe flag pillows . cable knit throws . Framed maps etc. You will also need some old brass items like lanterns ,porthole mirror .telescope etc. It all depends on how much you want to do this theme with .Just keep it light and fresh looking . Also agree the desk has to go somewhere else because it is blocking the window . Paint the ceiling a light tint of blue/white it will help it look fresh.
November 23, 2012 at 1:58PM     
sprattliz
Thank you all so much! Getting rid of everything cuz I just bought the house. You gave me some great ideas...
November 23, 2012 at 2:21PM   
standinginline
I happened to have this rug on my pinterest page (since a few mentioned the blue and white striped rug)... http://www.ballarddesigns.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/vineyard-stripe-rug/229679?listIndex=23&redirect=y
November 23, 2012 at 9:10PM   
betsyweisberg

I suggest going crisp white on all walls and trim then layer in shades of blues in different textures.
November 25, 2012 at 9:19AM   
lsyp
Dash and Albert has great rugs and pillows that are washable. There are hundreds of patterns, but many are striped which feels nautical
November 25, 2012 at 1:46PM   
nomadkath
don't forget to add some warm tones, even if it's just pillows and accessories.......it will pick up the lovely warm stone of the fireplace, and keep the grey/white/blue nautical theme cozier. I think the blue and white stripes work nicely on wood floor because the base of warm wood offsets the cool.....but your floor is light too. maybe blues with a muted spring green and cream......old glass bottles and driftwood.......and lights.
November 26, 2012 at 5:25AM   
sprattliz
Great ideas! Thanks.
November 26, 2012 at 9:47AM