Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Suggestions and ideas please?
Sandy Bucholtz
November 23, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Flooring is out, we were thinking about installing Arizona cut Allure Vinyl Flooring. Has anyone out there used Allure flooring on stairs? The light is going...need suggestions for new lighting, and paint :) We are a family of 5 and could use some suggestions to make the most out of the space.
Signed, Completely Clueless in Decor & Design :)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
newton3
We have had terrible problems with allure flooring and the Home Depot. Never again. Go on line and look at the feedback on it. We spent around 5500.00 on it and installation was bad and product is too. Looks pretty but beware.
0 Likes   November 26, 2012 at 5:31PM
Joan Bartos
Invest in a contemporary,large -scale pendant lamp in silver or chrome. Go light gray or pale blue with the walls. Consider having a carpenter construct a large, tall storage unit for the hallway, with individual cubbies for each household member. Have the carpenter make a second,more compact storage center next to the door for shoes,boots and recyclables. (Remember-no sharp edges as space looks tight.)

I'd go with a hard-wearing,natural material for the floors,like rough stone or slate tiles. Don't use anything that is slick or anything that shows dirt easily. Another great option is cork. I've never seen it used on stairs but it would probably absorb sound well. (Go with cork tiles in case you need to make easy repairs.)

Marmoleum is a beautiful alternative to regular linoleum. It comes in a lot of gorgeous colors and patterns. It may be too slick for the stairs,however.

Ditch the artwork and mirror. Replace the front door with a contemporary door.
0 Likes   November 26, 2012 at 11:44PM
Lizabeth
This is a tough space. Spilt entry foyers are very tight spaces. I love marmoleum and it comes in tons of colors that are great for hiding dirt. Wears like iron. Donkey island is a good neutral with grays and warm tones, Check that out and pick your paint after you pick the flooring.

You have room for a six to seven foot by 18 inch height storage shelf by perhaps 10 to 14 inches in depth over the doorway.

Get a storage cubby book shelf either in a wood tone or creamy white but wood will be more forgiving and will tie in with the wood railing to the left and warm the space. Look at the one on the cover of 2012 Ikea Catalogue to hang over the door. Run it at 84 inches over the door and attach new trim to the side of the door from under the cabinet/ bookshelf,. You can put both shoe and small packs in this overhead storage bin.

Then at about 56 height from the floor run a 1 x 4 with shaker pegs on each side of the door and round the wall on the right going down the stairs.

Be careful to not overload the pegs but it will help manage all the family stuff you need access to near that door. Lose the mirror and tiny pictures.

Last of all find a better light after you install the storage bin and shaker pegs.

Good luck.
0 Likes   November 27, 2012 at 12:36PM
katieowsley
Bbbgghgfddddffcxzz.
0 Likes   November 27, 2012 at 12:42PM
PRO
Oasis Architecture
Avoid vinyl plastic products when you can. Natural linoleum products such as Marmoleum are far better for a sheet product type of installation.
0 Likes   November 27, 2012 at 2:07PM