Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Living Room before and after
Amanda
November 23, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Any ideas for what might help improve this space even more? I'm going for adult and no longer in college mixed with comfortable and lived-in (not disorganized or messy). Unless there is a specific name for my style; I'm still searching. Thank you!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
flgrandma
Look like a nice place for your first grown up house or apartment. Just a few questions. Why do you have a couch in front of the bookcase and why are the pictures at different heights?
November 23, 2012 at 5:52PM   
collettec
I like your gallery wall behind the couch, but think that the pictures are too small. The picture above the fireplace needs to be lowered. I would consider going with natural shades instead of the white and more pillows with more texture in the creams, tans and other colors in the rug.
November 23, 2012 at 5:57PM     
houssaon
The picture above the fireplace is way too high. Bring it down to eye level, about 5' 6". I would put color on the ceiling: Gathering Place. Look at: Windham Cream HC-6 Paint, to warm up the space and tie the warm colors of the rug in. Also paint a rectangle to frame your artwork, something like they did with this space: Gorgeous Living Room in Hollywood Regency Style - Robert Naik photography.

All in all, nicely done space.
November 23, 2012 at 6:13PM   
Amanda
The ceiling is a popcorn textured cathedral ceiling, so while another shade might look better, I'm not painting it anytime soon. I am looking for pillows, though--thanks for that suggestion! Maybe more of the pictures above the couch will help it look less small (they're all photographs I've taken, so making them larger could change the integrity of the photos). Thank you for all the suggestions!
November 24, 2012 at 9:18AM     
Aja Mazin
Add more of your photographs!
November 24, 2012 at 9:34AM   
victorianbungalowranch
You could mat the pictures and hang the same way--will make them look more polished and give more impact. Painting a "mat" behind as suggested above would work too.

I also think painting the fireplace column would help--the gray doesn't go too well with the tile and makes it look disjointed. I would consider removing the print over the fireplace and the one crammed next to the doorway too, or going with something vertical and hang it off-centered to go with the modern fireplace. Perhaps a rusty brown, terra cotta or even a dark brown/black, and no white trim, would make it look like all of one piece.

A warmer color overall would help and more contrast between colors of the various rooms would be nice. The light is so nice in the first photo, but the light gray is sort of washing it all out and doesn't highlight the nice architectural features you do have It needs some wamth and color--maybe a more orange red accents or terra cotta/rust colors rather than the bright red, along with maybe some teals or blues drawn from your photos. A new rug with some oomph to it would be a good place to start, and then pick some accent color and texture to perk it up.
November 24, 2012 at 9:40AM   
Amanda
I should probably take a picture in the daylight, when the original picture was taken. All rooms in the house before were painted different colors and it really did not help to "join" the house. I'm looking for red accents, but small. Our style isn't eclectic but more contemporary, I guess. And comfortable. Almost boring with small accents to bring out our personalities--such as the rug, though I might change it out with the one in the dining room (I have that picture posted here: http://www.houzz.com/discussions/253183/Dining-room-before-and-after

Oh, the picture to the side is actually on a table! I haven't hung it yet, as I haven't decided where it should go.
November 24, 2012 at 10:40AM