Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
window
cbonar
November 23, 2012 in Photo Questions
How well is it waterproofed? I would like to change my shower to doorless, but there is a window close by and already has signs of water damage. I like the incorporation of the natural light in the shower but don't want to have to deal with mold issues.

Thanks
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Scott Weston Architecture Design PL
I always try to incorporate natural light and ventilation in bathrooms to prevent that very thing MOULD!
As long as you waterproof around the window and fit the appropriate window sill and tile you should never have an issue.
0 Likes   November 23, 2012 at 10:34PM
PRO
John Whipple - By Any Design ltd.
When building a shower with a window it is important to consider a few points....

1). Thermal movement (season change and temperature will cause the window to expand and contract. You can not grout right tight to the window and the backer boards and waterproofing products need flexibility.

2). The window sill needs to be sloped to the shower so it does not hold water. 1/4" over a foot or 1/8" over 6" or 1/16" over 3" is all it takes to keep the sill dry.

3). I like tying in the waterproofing to a non-wood window. Try using Kerdi Fix and KErdi Band as a good starting point.

JW
0 Likes   November 25, 2012 at 7:48AM
PRO
John Whipple - By Any Design ltd.
I recently documented this process quite closely. I'll prepare a new ideabook so I can showcase some more of these points- more clearly.

JW
0 Likes   November 25, 2012 at 7:49AM
cbonar
Scott and John, thank you for the replies. John, I am looking forward to seeing your new ideabook with the finer details. I hope to start planning my bath reno in the next month so your guidance would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again!
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 3:17PM
More Discussions
Color scheme and furniture for living room
I am unable to decide on the color scheme for my living...
What to do with our big window?
We have this large window and we don't know how to...
How to style the dresser-credenza in master bedroom?
We needed a quick dresser solution in our master bedroom,...
Fence addition advice
I have a 30' wide stone/brick that stands almost 6'...
FOYER Chandelier or Lantern - Ideas?
Our foyer is open up to the 2nd floor and round like...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.