Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Tile Configuration for Master Bathroom
mindgutter
November 23, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Hello, we are in the process of redesigning our master bathroom and have narrowed down our tile choice to a combination of wavy white tile and flat white tile, both have a pearl luster to them. We are also thinking about adding a chrome trim. Attached is a photo of the showroom example of the tile and some floor options. Also attached are some sketches of the configuration we are struggling with. The bathroom has a walk in shower, comode and a bidet. Also part of the bathroom will contain a laundry nook. Any advice is welcome.

1. How should we configure the flat and wavy tile?
2. What kind of tile would work the best for the shower floor?
3. How should we use the chrome trim if at all?
4. Would the look and feel suffer if we only go up with tile half-way up the walls in the non-shower areas?

Thanks in advance.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
decoenthusiaste
Did you think about doing the tile vertically? Especially good if you want to give the impression of height.
November 26, 2012 at 1:00pm   
PRO
ct design studio
I like the vertical style in the shower with the field tile and trim coming out in opt #2. You could save a lot by only coming up part way on the walls. Where the chrome trim comes out from the shower it could wrap around the rest of the room with flat field tiles underneath. Then create a second verticalvsection of the wavy tile behind the vanity trimmed in chrome. I think it would be more impactful that way, rather than all over the room. I like the charcoal 12 x 24s you chose for the main floor and the penny rounds for the shower floor although either would work well.
November 26, 2012 at 1:18pm   
Madeline
It's very difficult to see your sketches. Maybe that's why people have not commented. For my money I'd tell you not to "struggle" with your choices. Either your husband and you know where you want the tile and there is something keeping you from putting it where you want it, or is it a difficult tile to use?
November 26, 2012 at 1:24pm   
PRO
Red Egg Design Group
Something small is best for the shower floor- not bigger then 4x4. It looks like you have some mosaics to choose from- make sure it feels good on your feet! If not then you can always have a bigger tile- i.e. what you are using on the walls- cut down. In my experience, the less grout the better for shower floors- they can be hard to keep clean!
November 26, 2012 at 7:03pm     
PRO
Red Egg Design Group
And white grout on the floor will be hard to keep clean as well. I would stick to the grey tile for all of your flooring...
November 26, 2012 at 7:03pm   
lefty47
HI --- This is a small space so keep the choices limited . Adding too many features is going to be cluttered looking . Seems like you have fallin in lust with several features and you want to use them all . Try to follow the example display because it looks good . Have the grey tiles on the floor because white tiles will drive you crazy trying to keep it looking clean. For your floor plan , I think you have to lose the bidet , you don't really need it today and the set up in the plan is awkward, then you can have a bigger sink vanity. Turn the toilet to back onto the vanity wall . It will look better to not see the toilet face on when coming into the bathroom.
November 27, 2012 at 7:00am   
mindgutter
Hi all, thank you for your comments. After thinking about the tile design more we are leaning toward using the wavy tile as an accent over one of the walls (either the longest wall in the shower or the longest wall of the bathroom behind the toilet all the way to the shower?). But we still have a dilemma: whether to use the plain white tile over the full walls in the bathroom, half walls or just paint the walls. If we end up using the tile as an accent in the shower we were thinking of repeating it above the vanity. What do you think?
November 27, 2012 at 8:48am   
Deb Falco
One very important consideration in choosing your tile floor will be how slip-resistant it is, especially in the shower. I would go with the smallest tile possible to eliminate large slippery areas, like a 1x1 or 2x2. Either the brick or the circles would work, I think.
November 27, 2012 at 9:05am   
lefty47
HI -To save money on the tiles you could just have tile up to the 42 inch high mark and then tile a backsplash at the vanity. And then just paint the rest of the walls.
November 27, 2012 at 3:23pm