Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help! Beautiful view and way too much sun
Lori Davis
November 24, 2012 in Design Dilemma
We have just purchased a mountain home with a great view BUT in the morning the sun coming directly in the windows is killer. There is a sliding door wall on the right side, fixed windows on the left with the stairs (going upstairs) blocking part of the furthest-most left window. What treatments would look consistent and stylish yet keep the brighest sun-rays out in the morning? Thank you all so much for your help and feedback! (As an aside, we haven't started working on the furnishings but have picked out a different wallcolor...good ol' taupe)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Adrian Ramsay Design House
hey Lori,
you could consider a roman blind up there which you drop to cover the top windows, or if you made a pelmet try a roller blind that would give a block out about 80% this would allow you to see out while killing the glare, use a dark grey or a 2 tone dark mix for the blind this way you will see through easier as well as it wont stop your eye in the room at the windows
i've used this a lot on places on the water.

love the view, where is this?
cheers adrian
ARDH
November 24, 2012 at 7:25AM     
olldcan
Exterior Motorized Shades would be my suggestions. It's quite possible that this wont be an issue when the trees are leafed out in the summer and the sun is much higher. I wouldn't have anything on the interior at all, that would obstruct so much as an inch of the amazing view when not in use. Mounted on the exterior you only need to address the upper 4 do to the angle of the sun. Anything installed on the inside will have to include all windows or it just won't look finished.
November 24, 2012 at 7:47AM     
PRO
good call on an outside blind by olldcan, not full block out rather about 80% to 90% , if you did on the inside with a roller it must go behind a pelmet as i agree it wont look finished otherwise
cheers adrian
November 24, 2012 at 8:05AM   
PRO
ct design studio
Whether interior or exterior, motorized shades are the way to go, Hunter Douglas has really nice options. You may also want to have UV tint professionally installed to help protect your furnishings from fading.

Congrats on the new home, beautiful view!
November 24, 2012 at 9:27AM     
feeny
One of the recently-built buildings I work in has a wall of windows a bit like yours, and it has motorized sun shades (about 50% opaque) in a very neutral taupe color. They are on a timer set to when the sun comes through that window at different times of year, and I am always amazed when the shades just automatically start to come down right when I need them.
November 24, 2012 at 9:36AM     
Lori Davis
Thank you all for your thoughtful responses!! I never would've thought about exterior shades but aesthetically that makes tremendous sense. Adrian, I had to look up "pelmet". ;) I am assuming this is similar to a cornice? My question is: how would I situate the rollers on the inside given the current configuration of windows....I was thinking either one wide over the doorwall and 2 smaller over the individual windows (since I won't be able to complete lower the one on the far left) OR 4 smaller rollers for each section. But again, to avoid the lack of polish, I do like the exterior option.

Adrian, the property is located on the border of the Great Smoky Mountain National Park in Tennessee, USA. We look directly at Mt LeConte which is the third highest mountain east of the Mississippi River (only 150 feet lower than the highest, Mt Mitchell).
November 24, 2012 at 10:48AM   
Lori Davis
And feeny, such a cool option to have them on a timer throughout the year!
November 24, 2012 at 10:50AM   
PRO
hey Lori, see attached pic of a pelmet, must be a very english term,

as costs go
internal roller blind on a hand chain pull would be cheapest
motorized internal roller next
outdoor motorized most expensive

if you go motorized consider the cost of getting power to the end of where the blind is via a ceiling space or up a wall??
the pelmet ive drawn is ope at the end so you can see how it works, in real life you would close this in
make the pelmet paint color to match your walls,

love the spot where you will be hanging in the mts, ive been through that way about 20 years ago, ive spent lots of time in the usa mainly on the west coast , dallas, and colorado, i love it in the usa shame its not so easy to immigrate there, im a kiwi who lives in australia in a beautiful spot called buderim near the beach

cheers adrian
November 24, 2012 at 3:54PM     
olldcan
Lori, chances are you have an exterior light on the deck with a light switch near by so the power is right there for an exterior motorized install. Get several quotes as the prices can really vary, so can the installation. DON'T do your own measurements and DONT install (if you measure wrong when the company comes to do the install and your out just the tiniest bit, TOO BAD you bought them and No they wont remake you a replacement set. Trust me, you don't want to but thee twice. CT Design Studio recommended a UV tint, professionally installed and I couldn't agree more. I also would have it done PDQ before your floors suffer any damage from the sun.
November 24, 2012 at 7:02PM     
PRO
Creatively Yours Custom Inc.
Hi Lori,
Have you thought of using window film to cut out the glare? Most companies like 3M will take over the window glass warranty and can provide different levels of light control without requiring anything to be covered up. They also help protect against fading, a big problem with even just regular light coming in a window. I have done many like this on window walls with much success. Then you could frame the windows with decorative fabric treatments without affecting that lovely view!
November 24, 2012 at 7:28PM     
PRO
Creatively Yours Custom Inc.
Hi Lori,
Have you thought of using window film to cut out the glare? Most companies like 3M will take over the window glass warranty and can provide different levels of light control without requiring anything to be covered up. They also help protect against fading, a big problem with even just regular light coming in a window. I have done many like this on window walls with much success. Then you could frame the windows with decorative fabric treatments without affecting that lovely view!
November 24, 2012 at 7:28PM   
Nadejda Hristova
http://www.purlfrost.com/stained-glass-2/victorian-stained-glass/victorian-design-8/#.ULJ6KIbX5k1they have transparent window films for this I believe.... seems cool -at least for the top site, cost very low-:) the windows are so pretty themselves...
November 25, 2012 at 12:06PM     
Lori Davis
Thanks all again for your thougtful ideas. I have easy access to a power source inside or out. Adrian, your drawing is a super demonstration. Thank you! I appreciate the idea of the relative costs too. Of course, I would love to do the exterior application since asthetically it wouldn't affect the interior. Olldcan thanks for the heads-up about the measuring!

Regarding the window film idea: we've already got some on the top windows (came with the house, can't testify to its effectiveness). The TV sits directly opposite the windows on the only wall in the living room and I would assume that I'd still see the sun reflecting in the TV with the window film. Correct or incorrect? (And yes, I'm a sucker for media and do watch TV when I should be reading and staring out the window instead)
November 29, 2012 at 11:19AM   
Lori Davis
Adrian, how many roller blinds would you recommend given my strange configuration with the stairs on the far left blocking a full descent of the blind?
November 29, 2012 at 11:22AM   
PRO
hey Lori,
i didn't realize there is no gap between the hand rail and the door,
a blind if rolling down the window side not the wall side is only about 1/2 and inch wide at the bottom rail, is there enough room for this?
and if there is is there enough room over door handles etc ? often you roll them with a gap between window and blind to get past handles and if they are 100% block this gives space for some air and reduces condensation. (are your windows double glazed?

i would look to keep it to two blinds and maybe on 2 separate chains and if no space back there i would look at 4 separate ones, chains becomes a problem on the left if you do four though

hope this helps
cheers adrian
November 29, 2012 at 1:38PM   
PRO
Shades IN Place
I just did some exterior shades recently....similar project
November 29, 2012 at 6:07PM     
Lori Davis
Adrian, that's what I was figuring. I'm going to try to see if there's a way to re-anchor the stair-rail so that the pass down the window would be clear for the blinds.

Shades IN Place - those look great! How much did it cost the owner? Thanks!
December 2, 2012 at 4:03PM     
PRO
hey Lori, where is it anchored now and what to? the shades in place look good , nice work
cheers adrian
December 3, 2012 at 3:32AM   
pollyannagal
Another option is to install wooden venetian blinds or plantation shutters rather than roller blinds. The slats can be angled to cut the direct glare of the sun but still allow you to enjoy the sunlight and beautiful view. Seems a shame to have such a view and sit inside in the dark when the sun shines! You can get motorised controls for the high windows so you don't need to get on a ladder to adjust them as the sun moves.

This is what we have done in a house with a great view but too much sun and it works brilliantly.
December 3, 2012 at 4:25AM   
PRO
Shades IN Place
Lori - $3,800 for both. They are 12 feet long and 80" wide on remote control.
December 5, 2012 at 4:45PM   
victorianbungalowranch
Are they like interlocking hollow tubes, like the rolladen they have in Germany? They are great--shades and window insulation at night in one.
December 5, 2012 at 4:52PM   
ideahuntress
Hi , I was thinking the same as most people with the motorised blinds . I have never seen the outside ones and they are good . But if you wanted to do something on the inside why not do motorised blinds in a plain colour , probably taupe to go with your wallson the high windows and then do a pelmet (and yes it is a european term , I have one in my european home lol ) on the lower windows with a mixture of taupe and other colours that you can pick up on in your cushions etc . That is if I'm reading this right and it's only the top half in the morning you have the problem with.

It looks a fantastic spot and home, may you have years of happiness there .
December 5, 2012 at 5:05PM   
PRO
Shades IN Place
Outdoor shades give the ABSOLUTELY MOST insulation protection. Think about it: the fabric will filter most of the sun BEFORE hitting the window. The windows are normally DOUBLE panels and only after penetrating THREE barriers the "heat" enters the home.

Another factor to do an outdoor shade it to have the CLEANEST look indoor. Don't get me wrong, MOST of my work is inside and windows treatments look great. But in this case, I think the outdoor shade would be my first option!
December 9, 2012 at 3:28AM     
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
I would use cellular shades Lutron has inexpensive motororized cells that are battery operated (4xC) they need to be changed every 3 years and look great.
December 10, 2012 at 3:38AM   
PRO
Bali
I'm biased, but I would recommend Bali Cellular Shades. They come in many color/fabric options, will increase your homes energy efficiency, and will not block much of your amazing view once open. Get the motorized option for the top shades. You can also find coordinating options for your sliding door.
December 10, 2012 at 7:22AM   
stargazer51
This is really helpful. We just put in new windows and have 7 4-foot windows on the eastern side of our house as this is the view side. Unfortunately, the sun streams directly in at 6:05 AM in June, later and at more of an angle toward December. We live in Sonoma County, north of San Francisco, so would need the solution to have insulating value as well. I like the pelmet idea (love the word too). Motorized shades are not in the budget right now. Is that an option that could be added later to manual shades?
December 10, 2012 at 8:04AM   
scorchio
Pelmet I think is English for the American Valence.... (an English Valence is an American dust ruffle or dust skirt!)
December 10, 2012 at 8:43AM     
PRO
Shades IN Place
@ Stargazer - some shades/blinds can be retrofitted into motorized operation. HOWEVER - you need to discuss this before you even buy the manual ones to make sure they will be suitable later for the motors. Another factor is choosing the RIGHT dealer to assist you. Not many people are familiar nor comfortable selling/servicing motorization at this point.

A third factor to consider that to convert your shades will take a bit of time and you could be without shades for maybe a few days...

IT"S WORTH avoiding all the frustration and buy motorized shades from the start. They are NOT that much more expensive than you may think.
December 10, 2012 at 8:58AM     
PRO
Budget Blinds
This is definitely the place for motorization. We offer solar roller shades with a wide array of colors and textures.
December 10, 2012 at 11:28AM   
PRO
hey scorchio, your right re pelmet, i sometimes cant think of the americaniziums ... cheers adrian
December 10, 2012 at 1:51PM   
PRO
hey budget Blinds like the pic you posted , is that your work? and if yes how did you accommodate the angle on the fireplace?
cheers adrian
December 10, 2012 at 1:54PM   
Nabeel Khan
This effect is great , i got my windows done as well by a local professional , but ordered the window film from : http://www.windowfilmtint.co.uk/one-way-mirror-film - they have good prices and quality stuff to sell .
April 20, 2013 at 1:20PM     
anne dee
That's a spectacular view!!. Enjoy your new mountain home. Beautiful!
You need window coverings that don't block the view.
I am sure there have been many suggestions keeping this is mind. http://www.velux.ca/Consumer/Products/residential_skylights/blinds/solar_blinds
the site above may be of interest to you.
April 20, 2013 at 1:33PM