Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Stressed out over kitchen colors!
diane45
November 24, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I need help! We're redoing our rather small kitchen and am completely stressed about color choices. I want to create a "blinged out" contemporary kitchen. Lots of sparkle but I also want it to be warm and inviting. Can both be done? The problem is is that I can't figure out what color walls and backsplash to chose to accomplish this.

Some of the items we've already purchased such as the kitchen cabinets (dark chocolate), countertops (white quartz), and floor tile (gray rectangular). The kitchen flows into the dining room which is also a small room. The dining room has warm, honey toned furniture.

I've attached some images of things we've already purchased (kitchen cabinet, quartz countertop, and gray floor tile) and pictures of the backsplash tiles I really like. I really do like the color combination of a chocolate cabinet and blue backsplash but also like a metal backsplash as well.

Which one would work best and what color wall should I paint some of the open space to compliment either of them?

Please help!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
A Kitchen That Works LLC
@diana45 - the cabinetry countertop and floor tile appear to be very compatible. However, the blue deco tile for the backsplash seems a bit out of place here. The iridescence in the deco tile lends to the "bling" look you are striving for, therefore, I would suggest you consider another color in the same line of tile. Oceanside Glass and Lunda Bay would be two additional manufacturers of glass tile you might want to consider. If you want to get more bang for your buck consider using the decos more sparingly in the back splash by mixing in some more cost effective field tile. Use the deco glass tile in a band or in a random pattern. If you use the deco for the full backsplash, it could look ubiquitous and push your project budget out of line.
November 24, 2012 at 8:46am     
PRO
Joanne Jakab Interior Design
Always think about how permanent and expensive home renovation can be before you choose to make a really bold personal statement with a permanent fixture such as a floor or backsplash.
I love the sparkle of your blue - so use it in a less permanent way such as an art frame, table mats, glass objects/containers even lighting can more easily be changed. I feel in this way you can enjoy today, tomorrow and reap the long term benefits some day when you sell your property to someone ....who hates sparkle ;).
November 24, 2012 at 9:06am     
feeny
I love most of your choices, but let me say something about the blue iridescent tile. A friend of mine used a tile almost exactly like this in her bathroom tub/shower surround. It looked beautiful in a small sample, but in a large expanse it looks like she mistakenly put outdoor pool tile over the whole wall. It's positively lurid. So let me suggest that small doses of turquoise iridescence go a long way.
November 24, 2012 at 9:12am     
PRO
ct design studio
To expand on the above comments, I would suggest a milky white tile with irridescence, which will give you flashes of blue. Then you can use blue accents as you wish and a soft grey/greige on the walls. The tile that comes to mind is the Vihara glass from Market Collection in the Puka colorway. It will flash blues and warm tones as well.
http://market-collection.com/
November 24, 2012 at 9:22am     
diane45
Thanks for all of the suggestions so far. "Feeny" thanks for putting this into perspective! I only have a small tile sample which I ordered from the company and fell in love with it but didn't take into account that it would be used on a much larger scale. I've attached two other back splash options that I'm thinking about.

Also, what color walls would you go with? Any suggestions?
November 24, 2012 at 9:35am   
PRO
Aesthetic Tile Imaging
Have you considered art tile? Any art or photograph kiln fired. Lots of options.
November 24, 2012 at 11:46am   
PRO
Stoneshop
For a backsplash, I really like ct design studio's suggestion of a milky irridescent tile (similar to your torquoise tile but in white) or your second linear tile photograph. Both would be very beautiful and provide that sparkle that you're searching for.

For wall color, I woud pull a warm beige/gray tone from one of the flecks in your countertop.

Keep us posted on your progress!
November 24, 2012 at 11:58am     
Madeline
I love that: pick a tone from a fleck in your countertop. With detailed help like that who could go wrong! (BTW this is meant sincerely, not in any way sarcastically. I like to stop any misconceptions before they take wings).
November 24, 2012 at 12:42pm