Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help with Family Room Makeover please.
jdicianni
November 25, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I am ready to remodel my family room. Want to purchase new furniture and potentially do a new layout that may let us add some chairs for more seating. But before I purchase new furniture I would like some layout suggestions and recommendations on furniture.
The room is about 18'long x 14' wide. I have a bay window with a built in bench. There is a half wall separating the kitchen eating area from the family room.
Would like to keep the coffee table & cabinet shown left of fireplace. The rest of the furniture can be changed out. The TV can be moved to the other side of the fireplace or on the large wall. I thought if I put the sofa in front of the windows, slid the loveseat closer to the windows/sofa and moved the TV to the large wall, I could add a chair/recliner in the corner between windows and fireplace and another chair (w/ottoman?) on the opposite side of the fireplace. Then add a wall unit or console for the TV on the large wall. Is this too much furniture for this room?
What do you think about sofa under the window? The room is not wide enough to put a sofa where the love seat is now. Any other layout options? Sofa & love seat or sectional? Wall unit or console? Window treatments?
Open to any and all ideas to improve this room. It has never felt balanced or finished. Please ignore the dog crate, hope to get rid of that soon too :)
Jan
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
decoenthusiaste
How big a job? What is the half wall in the foreground? Can it be removed. I think your FP is calling for built-ins on either side and your room needs no sofas.If the room below doesn't turn you on, I don't have any other suggestions!! You can change the colors, but the basic framework here is perfect for your room, IMO! If more to your liking, you can use swivel chairs to change the focus from FP at the end to TV on the long wall. Please post what you do!
Traditional Family Room
Vendome Home Renovation
November 25, 2012 at 3:12pm     
jdicianni
Very nice idea. I always wanted built-ins but hubby didn't want to pay the money to have them custom built and I could not find ready made that are only 36" wide. I love the way the chairs look, but it does not really give us more seating then what we have. But something to think about. I have always thought about covering the window bench. Right now, when we have a party I remove the plants and put cushions on the bench. The half wall is attached to the outside wall. It could be removed if necessary. thank you for you suggestions.
November 25, 2012 at 4:19pm   
decoenthusiaste
I believe he pic shows seating for eight with the window bench. I count only five sit spots in your current space, or am I missing something? If you'd consider mounting your TV over the FP, you could put a sofa on the long wall with four smaller scale chairs between it and the window seat, and that would increase your seating to 10 ( 3 on sofa, 4 in chairs 3 on window seat.) I'd suggest a kitchen window greenhouse for some of your plants. Most people are paring down to only one or two in a room now. Mine go in the garden in summer, in the green house in winter. I only bring in a couple of ficus trees in cold weather just to liven up with something green. You should have the built-ins priced out in January. When it gets cold some carpenters have less outside work and can take on an indoor project more reasonably.
November 25, 2012 at 5:35pm   
PRO
the essentials inside
Hi jdicianni! Hope you had a great holiday! There are LOTS of ways you can make this room fantastic.

First thought you'd like to look at a thread about a room very similar to yours: http://www.houzz.com/discussions/240790/Need-Help-with-Family-Living-Room

decoenthusiaste - You may remember that thread. You suggested this photo (red room) for that room:
Open Family Room & Breakfast Area in Bold Colors

Here is another idea:
Contemporary and Casual Living room

Here is a very contemporary space:
A contemporary, organic space.

I'll be back w/some more ideas! Hope this helps.

~Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
November 25, 2012 at 6:03pm     
PRO
the essentials inside
Here is another idea for the furniture placement:

~Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
November 25, 2012 at 7:04pm     
jdicianni
hmm...all great ideas! The TV does create a bit of an issue for me. But my husband and I have agreed that we do not want to put it over the fireplace. I want this room to be more eye-catching because when we entertain the kitchen and family room is where everyone goes. However, let's face it...this is our place to relax, sit down or lay down to watch TV the rest of the time. So I want it to still be comfortable. Therefore, I think I want to keep a sofa in the room instead of all chairs.

I take it no one thinks I should put the sofa or sectional in front of the windows and put the TV on the big wall?

If I do the two facing sofas...the 'contemporary, organic space' facing sectionals is interesting.
Any other creative ideas for layout?
November 25, 2012 at 7:07pm   
jdicianni
oh, and yes I know the plants have to go away. :) Unfortunately, its the only sunny window I have other than upstairs in the bedrooms. Thanks for the suggestions about checking for built-ins during the winter. will do that!
November 25, 2012 at 7:14pm   
PRO
the essentials inside
You could put a sectional in front of the window with the television on the wall across from it - maybe on a nice stand or in a cabinet instead of on the wall as you mentioned in your first comment above.

To have extra seating, instead of a sectional, you could do a couch in front of the window, two chairs & a table where the love seat is now, the coffee table in front of the couch & cube/ottoman seating at the end of the coffee table in front of the fireplace.

In the alcoves next to the fireplace, you could maybe make it interesting with some tall wall art (see attached pics) & plants if the built-ins prove too expensive.

Lots of ideas in my head...am going to find some more inspiration pics. :)

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com

P.S. What kind of dog? If you need a crate cover, we have Pet Dreams crate cover sets at our 2nd store, www.letsbepets.com.
November 25, 2012 at 8:17pm   
bri2kay
@essentials - thanks for inviting me to the conversation. You are right, we could easily insert my photos into jdicianni's post! No progress yet, probably more like this summer but I'm a planner so when it's Go Time - I'll be ready. :)

Hi jdicianni,

I'm in the same boat with our family room. These rectangular shaped rooms don't leave a lot for the imagination! I had a square family room years ago and it was great, I could rearrange and redecorate to my heart's content.

I know what you mean about the TV. It's an ongoing struggle with my husband, who would prefer an IMAX theater in our family room. The nice thing about putting it over the fireplace is that you free up floor space and in most cases, the TVs just don't seem to functionally fit or blend with decor. There are a couple of cool things you can do with the fireplace that won't cost much that I would love to do and just haven't had the time. 1) Frame it in. I've seen it done both in traditional and modern and it really makes a big difference, aesthetically and actually makes it seem smaller 2) We entertain quite a bit and the TV is usually off however, I recently threw a baby shower where I created a slideshow of photos and congratulations signs and ran them through my cell phone remotely to TV. With today's technology, you can run a slideshow of photos or homemade DVD of your choosing fairly easily remotely or by connecting your laptop to the TV.

So I've gone off on a bit of a technical tangent here but my point is that you can get the TV off the floor and try to incorporate into your design without breaking the bank or your back.

I like @decoenthusiaste photo with the window seating area. You mentioned keeping the sofa, so how do you feel about 2 accent chairs where the love seat is and making the window seat a sitting area as well with cushion and some throws.

Also, 36" Base cabinets are fairly common but if they are too deep, try a Wall cabinet instead - similar height but only 12" deep. It might make it look more interesting and take up less floor space while providing storage vs same depth cabinets and fireplace.

Can't wait to see what you come up with!
November 25, 2012 at 10:52pm   
jdicianni
You all are so great! I really appreciate the ideas. To answer a couple questions. We have a black lab and she just loves her crate. We never close it anymore, but she still wants to be in it even though we have a separate dog bed for her. I'll check out the pet covers mentioned...but hoping to 'wean' her away from it soon :) Regarding shelves/cabinets for each side of the fireplace. They were the first thing I wanted when we moved in but we could not afford any more additions to the house at the time. Could kick myself now for not doing it then. Oh well. The problem is the 'space' itself is exactly 36" on either side. Therefore putting in a cabinet/shelving unit that is 36 " does not work. I have not found 34-35 in cabinets to date.
Yes, we could definitely replace the love seat with chairs and cover the window seat. Probably easiest solution. What kind of chairs do you recommend? My husband wants a recliner, and most of them are tall. I'd rather not look at the back of a tall chair(s) from the kitchen.
If I did this, should I pull the sofa away from the wall a bit and maybe put a sofa table behind it? This would let me push the chairs a bit closer to the window and help tie the window bench in with the rest. Or isn't that necessary?
November 26, 2012 at 6:06am   
jdicianni
I still keep coming back to moving the sofa (or sectional) in front of the windows. With that half wall (and kitchen table on other side) our only access to the family room is on the left. That's why I left space originally between the sofa and love seat as you can see. Wanted to be able to walk thru and not have to go around the furniture each time. If I move the furniture in front of the window, this allows me to go directly into the room in front of the furniture. And allows a little more room to play with. Of course then I would just ignore the window seat but just maybe add tall lamp(s) on it behind the sofa??? What I don't want to do is just wind up having all the weight of the room just flipped from one side to the window side....and still feel like the room is not balanced. But if I have some kind of TV console or unit....would that balance the sides out?
November 26, 2012 at 6:16am   
jdicianni
by the way, I do like the pic "parade 2009" very much. If I did that look, however the only place to watch TV is the sofa. Could I put a recliner (nice one) kind of where the love seat is now? or is 3 chairs not a good idea? Even if one is very different from the other two? I guess it would be sort of standing on its own if I did that.
November 26, 2012 at 6:27am   
jdicianni
I still keep coming back to moving the sofa (or sectional) in front of the windows. With that half wall (and kitchen table on other side) our only access to the family room is on the left. That's why I left space originally between the sofa and love seat as you can see. Wanted to be able to walk thru and not have to go around the furniture each time. If I move the furniture in front of the window, this allows me to go directly into the room in front of the furniture. And allows a little more room to play with. Of course then I would just ignore the window seat but just maybe add tall lamp(s) on it behind the sofa??? What I don't want to do is just wind up having all the weight of the room just flipped from one side to the window side....and still feel like the room is not balanced. But if I have some kind of TV console or unit....would that balance the sides out?
Can I do anything like the scribbled layout I just attached? I know this is hardly to scale and that is part of what concerns me. Afraid I'll buy furniture and then it won't fit! I use to have this paper cut outs of furniture/layouts to help you arrange the furniture in a room....but that was a long time ago. Can't find similar tool on line I could print out. What do you think of this arrangement with either a sectional or sofa/small love seat. Would that work/fit?
November 26, 2012 at 7:04am     
PRO
the essentials inside
Just doing a little bit of brainstorming -- adding some links here b/c now I have too many tabs open in my browser

Recliner ideas:
These were suggested to @bri2kay by @Carolyn Albert-Kincl Design: http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/pavia-club-recliner-chair?ID=281645&CategoryID=35368#fn=MATERIAL%3DLeather%26sp%3D1%26spc%3D29%26ruleId%3D74%26slotId%3D18

Here's another: http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/enzo-leather-recliner-chair?ID=580780&CategoryID=29391&LinkType=PDPZ1

Disclaimer: I don't like leather furniture (animal lover reasons) but just wanted to throw these ideas out, maybe possible to find in vegan leather.

Corner tv unit:

These are built-ins but just wanted to share the idea - the objective would be to find something similar pre-made if you like this idea. Just one way to address concern of room being off balance.

Living Room
Portfolio
Carmel Cottage Great Room

I've gotta run now but I'll be back later!

~Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com

P.S. I now notice your blanket w/the black labs on it. :)
November 26, 2012 at 7:14am   
jdicianni
absolutely would LOVE a cabinet for the TV!!!! Not sure I have the space. But if using a corner cabinet vs straight...maybe??? Also like all of the three pics above. I have thought about putting a sofa on a angle closer to the windows/in front of half wall. I really don't like looking at the back of the sofa, so shied away from angle off the large wall. thank you again! this is sooo helpful.
November 26, 2012 at 7:40am   
PRO
the essentials inside
What about the corner where the half-wall meets the wall on the bay window side - can you take a pic of that? Is there any room to do something there w/the tv I wonder.

I agree w/you about looking at the back of the sofa. Plus, you're room might be too small to angle the furniture & generally I don't like angled furniture but I do like the pic above. Let's just say no need to rule out anything yet. :)

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
November 26, 2012 at 8:13am   
007rocky1
If you put your TV across from the window the glare on tv is bad so your curtains would have to be closed all the time. What if you moved your tv to the short half wall then you could have a nice recliner in the one corner of fireplace for hubby and maybe other swivel chair by the bay window for more seating.
If you wanted also to have built-ins you can get kitchen cabinets the tall upper ones and make your own cabinet wall units just a session .

If the Half wall is not tall enough just add to it using more wood trim. Good luck
November 26, 2012 at 8:27am   
jdicianni
Yes, I was afraid of the glare factor. Thanks for confirming that. The half wall is only hip high, so unless the TV was almost on the floor....it would stick quite a bit above the wall. If we put some kind of cabinet in that corner, it might be possible. The wall on either side of the window is around 5 feet. But ...always a but.....the wall that connects the half wall to the window wall is only about 30" once you are above the level of that half wall. Think L shape. So putting a cabinet on an angle large enough for the TV would probably not be possible. A low console might be possible in that corner, but don't know how much the TV would stick out over the half wall ie visible from the kitchen. it is a thought though. So put chairs by the fireplace and keep a sofa on large wall?
November 26, 2012 at 9:03am   
jdicianni
Well I guess at this point, it sounds like the layout I currently have is good for this size/shape room. If so, I'm leaning to something like shown in "Carmel Cottage Great Room" photo. Keep a sofa on the large wall. Either another love seat or two chairs where the current love sit is. A cabinet for TV in same corner as it is. Make the window bench into usable seating space. Add an ottoman in front of the windows. yes? Seems like flipping the room and putting TV cabinet on large wall isn't the best because of glare. Only other option is angle sofa on half wall corner.
November 26, 2012 at 9:14am     
PRO
the essentials inside
Maybe.... but I'll be back tonight so we can discuss further! I'm sure some other Houzzers will weigh in too.

~Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
November 26, 2012 at 9:43am   
jdicianni
anyone see anything done with curved sofas? Right now I have the sofa and love seat separated a foot or so apart so we can access them straight on from the kitchen. This way we don't have to walk all the way around the love seat which sticks almost 3/4 of the way to the windows. Was wondering if I had a curved sofa (not a sectional) and angled it against the large wall so it faced the TV in its current spot. With a curved sofa, part of it would be on the large wall and the other end would not stick quite so far into the room. So might not be too bad to walk around it to sit. Then I could put a chair to left of the fireplace. And a chair/recliner near the window by the half wall corner. I still would have the back of a sofa to look at, but maybe not too bad. I don't know. I just have an issue with the view from the kitchen if I block off the entire 'open space' leading from kitchen to the family room with the backs of furniture. Makes me feel like there is then a complete wall between the two room. Half furniture and half with the little wall. no what i mean?
November 26, 2012 at 10:19am   
PRO
the essentials inside
I am against curved sofas! Ok, not really against - just don't like for most places. I had one and it never seemed to fit right anywhere.

Here's another photo similar to the Parade 2009. W/this one - you could go w/the corner tv unit. I found one earlier on pinterest. Have to go back and find the link. I also found instructions for how to build your own. Is hubby handy?

Anway, here's the pic. I'll be back.

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
November 26, 2012 at 3:40pm   
PRO
the essentials inside
Hello again!

Here is a list of free online 3d room planners: http://freshome.com/2010/08/18/10-best-free-online-virtual-room-programs-and-tools/

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
November 26, 2012 at 5:15pm   
PRO
the essentials inside
Here's the link for making a corner cabinet: http://ana-white.com/2010/12/plans/corner-cupboard

Here's the link for a corner tv cabinet: http://www.ballarddesigns.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/reston-corner-media/195178?redirect=y

Can you move your love seat in front of the bay window for now to see how you like it? Maybe pull the couch in from the wall a bit. Then take some pics. :)

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
November 26, 2012 at 5:54pm   
PRO
the essentials inside
So pretty.....

Just picture a comfier couch & a tv cabinet. :)

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
November 26, 2012 at 9:04pm   
jdicianni
Thanks Lyvonne! Let me play with all the above info for a bit. Yes, I can move the loveseat in front of the window. i'll get back to you in a bit.
November 27, 2012 at 6:53am   
jdicianni
What do you think about attached layout? Ignoring colors. But this is to scale for my room. Measured room. Almost 20' long by 14.
November 27, 2012 at 10:27am   
PRO
the essentials inside
I like it! You could also move the 2 chairs in front of the bay window.

Did you use one of the room planners on the list? Great job!

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
November 27, 2012 at 10:35am   
jdicianni
With this layout, which is similar to one of the earlier recommendations, I have added chairs and table instead of the loveseat. But have located them off the half wall corner. This is a compromise between where the loveseat was and moving the chairs all the way in front of the bay window.. I moved the sofa a bit closer to the entrance to the room and added a comfy chair with ottoman. I can still put the TV in a corner cabinet and I can still add a cushion and pillows to the window bench . This allows me seating for like 9 people, if I use all the chairs, sofa, ottoman and a couple on the window. I saw a couple chairs at Ashley furniture that were smaller leather chairs with a recliner. Thinking if I make at least that one chair a recliner, that would satisfy hubby. This arrangement gives me a little more space to walk into the room/furniture whereas the loveseat was only a foot-ish from the sofa. thoughts? would this work? look ok? not exactly the normal two or three sided layout...but close.
November 27, 2012 at 10:37am   
jdicianni
yes, thank you! I did use one of the planners from your list! And yes, I can always move the chairs around as needed depending on if we need to add some folding chairs for a party or move them more towards sofa if have TV related event.
November 27, 2012 at 10:39am   
PRO
CellularWindowShades.com
New honeycomb (rather than pleated) shades will allow light in and cut glare. I have a living room with all windows on 3 sides and my light filtering shades cut the sun enough that I can still see the TV. I've put together a webpage with some photos of how much light light filtering fabrics let in, for a frame of reference. http://cellularwindowshades.com/fabric_choices.html If you want a larger swatch of fabric, just request some free samples and make a note for me on the form and I'll be happy to send you a chunk to test! Just tape it to the window. http://cellularwindowshades.com/samples.html Hope that helps!
November 27, 2012 at 10:41am   
jdicianni
If I do this....do you think I need to put a lamp on the table between the chairs? Or can I leave the cabinet on the wall behind and put a lamp on that? thinking about cords/outlet.
November 27, 2012 at 10:42am   
jdicianni
oh, just thought of something. maybe I should have lights put into ceiling of bay window (with dimmer)?
November 27, 2012 at 10:43am   
Jassu Kaur
like the fireplace color how did u paint and what is the name of the paint.I have very hard time deciding right paint color for my fireplace
November 27, 2012 at 10:46am   
jdicianni
another question. if I do the 2 chairs with table, sofa, big chair in corner. Should the two smaller chairs match each other.......and should the big chair/ottoman match the sofa fabric? Or do I need a third fabric for the big chair? I'm not good at mixing and matching colors. Two is my limit :)
November 27, 2012 at 10:46am   
jdicianni
Lyvonne, I love the style of the media cabinet...but do not want white color and not sure about the black. If you know of others similarly styled, please forward. I will think more about using white or black. I'm use to the wood furniture blending, but a guess something different might be nice. I'll have to see what furniture color I go with first.
November 27, 2012 at 11:00am   
jdicianni
not sure about the fireplace comment. We have a brick fireplace, not painted. It's the color of the brick itself.
November 27, 2012 at 11:02am   
PRO
the essentials inside
My opinion -

Yes, 2 small chairs should match each other.

The big chair/ottoman doesn't necessarily have to match the sofa. It is going to take a little more time to find the perfect chair but it can be done.

Oh & yes, getting your hubby a recliner is a good idea. Maybe that should be the first purchase - then he can sit comfy/cozy while he's reviewing the receipts. :)

I don't think you need a lamp on the table between the chairs. With the lamp on the cabinet in the corner, a lamp on the table next to the sofa & maybe a floor lamp behind the chair & ottoman, that should be enough light.

Ok, so you've got placement -- now the real fun begins...shopping - both window & real! I'd set your budget & a realistic timeline for completion.

I'd start w/the 2 big things 1st - the couch & the tv cabinet.

Very exciting!

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
November 27, 2012 at 11:07am   
jdicianni
I think I will just manage the receipts. :) better for our marriage. heehee. Thank you sooo much for all your help. At least having an idea of what to do helps a lot. I saw two dark brown leather chairs that may work. The sofa I liked was before thinking about the 2 leather chairs. So will probably have to look again for that. But its a start. I'm already looking at TV cabinets. With the new flat screens, I forgot you don't have to have as much 'depth' to the cabinet. When I looked for something for our big old TV...no way could I fit something into a 36" wide space. But now.....yeah.
November 27, 2012 at 12:07pm   
jdicianni
Do you know what type of places would make a cushion for the window seat? My sewing skills are not at that level.
November 27, 2012 at 12:09pm   
jdicianni
Just for a different perspective, I did try a layout with the sofa on an angle. Similar to the photos above that have the TV in a cabinet and the sofa faces the TV directly. I would have to put a sofa table behind the sofa. Not sure if I can get use to it or not. My neighbor has her sofa angled and I like it in her house. But she does not have the half wall.
November 27, 2012 at 2:01pm   
PRO
the essentials inside
I like the angled too - like the picture below (brought down from prior comment) but that 1/2 wall may make it feel a little cramped. But since you'll be using essentially the same pieces, you can change it around whenever you get bored w/one setting. You can always sit the extra chair in another room for a while if it doesn't fit when the sofa is angled.

The trick will be the wall opposite the bay window - accessorize it so you don't have to change that wall when you move the furniture around (in other words, you'll need more than 1 picture on the wall)

I'm sure there are are more corner tv cabinets - that was just the first one I saw on pinterest. I'll be happy to search around for more.

I don't know about the cushions for the bay window. You'll probably need someone local so they can come out and measure. Maybe the same place that does custom curtains? Is there one of those near you?

I'm so glad you like the room planner. Which one did you use?

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
November 27, 2012 at 3:25pm   
jdicianni
thanks Lyvonne. I used Small Blue Printer. Doesn't have the 3D, but was easy to use. And I could 'size' the furniture as I needed instead of taking pics of actual furniture as is. So for me, it was more flexible for simple layouts. If you see more TV cabinets please let me know. I googled a bit, and am not finding many at all so far. Mostly just consoles.
Yes the half wall I think is the sticking point for me on the angle layout. But with the angle, I do need to push the future a bit more into the room ie closer to fireplace. That allows a bit more space between the wall and the sofa. At least visually. And YES, I know I need more than one picture. Just didn't know what to do with that wall. Maybe a new layout will inspire me :)
November 27, 2012 at 4:09pm   
PRO
the essentials inside
I am happy to look for the tv cabinets for you. What size is your tv?

Hope you don't think I was criticizing about your wall currently. 1 picture above a sofa is normal, nothing wrong w/that. :) More will make the room more versatile - let you move things around easier.

I'm very excited for you! For me too -- its going to be fun to see you make this transformation.

If you want to share pics of your potential couches - I'd be happy to look at.

Talk to you soon.

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
November 27, 2012 at 4:25pm   
jdicianni
omg, no way was I even remotely offended by you mentioning the solo picture. I know it is not right, just didn't know what to do with it and gave up. I really don't have anyone to shop with (except husband...not much help there :), so your input has really been helpful and appreciated. Now I just have to find some furniture! Was looking at Ashley because they have in-stock items so don't have to wait months...but not getting decent reviews for quality. Get what you pay for I guess. I will be happy to share potential furniture pics with you!
November 28, 2012 at 9:12am   
PRO
the essentials inside
Phew! Very glad!

I agree - you definitely get what you pay for. Of course, sometimes you can only pay so much. Always a balance.

My best advice - take your time shopping - unless you want this done for your holiday parties. In that case, you better hurry up. :).

For the furniture, you'll want to go as timeless & versatile as possible. That way, when you are ready for a change in a few years, it will be less expensive to change out your accessories than buy all new furniture.

I'll look for the corner tv cabinet -- you keep checking out sofas & chairs -- and we'll meet back here as we go! :) If you're on twitter, we can also chat there. I'm @eilbp.

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
November 28, 2012 at 2:38pm   
jdicianni
great thanks. I stopped by Walter E Smithe today. A young consultant is stopping by tomorrow. We will see what she comes up with. The had an interesting 'wedge' sofa (curved sort of) and then the traditional sofas that can be customized for arms/legs/fabric. Hubby found a recliner he likes. It was comfy, but maybe a little old fashion and large. Was hoping to find something a little more contemporary. If you go to the smithe.com website, its the Portman Recliner SL707ST. I was comfy and not too high. I just do not want to wind up buying the same thing I bought 18 years ago, but in a different color. Want something a little more up-to-date but not still timeless, not faddish.
November 28, 2012 at 4:18pm   
PRO
the essentials inside
That's fantastic that they'll send someone to you. I looked at their site, very nice! They carry a lot of the accessories we have too so you know they've got great taste. :)

Here are some I like - there are a lot of choices.
Alexis Sofa WES25361ST
Wedge Sofa 207128
Lanai Short Sofa N1656L

I like how the wedge looks but I'm thinking it may not be too comfy if you want to stretch out on it for a lazy Sunday afternoon.

Hubby might get a little upset but I do not like the recliner. I think you are wanting a room that could be described as comfy elegance and that recliner is not going to fit. Sorry.

I saw they have a corner unit - Corner Entertainment Center 82H-783. I didn't check the measurements though.

Let me know how it goes tomorrow! Have a great night.

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
November 28, 2012 at 6:25pm   
jdicianni
Hi Lyvonne Was out to talk to the folks at Smithe. Thinking about going with the wedge, but just realized it is 39 inches high whereas our furniture is like 31. That's a big difference especially if we are going to angle it away from the wall. attached floorplan and pic of furniture (not colors). Wedge sofa, chair/ottoman and leather recliner. Looking as deep moss green texture on sofa, a small print of moss green,red, gold tones sorta of dots print. Deep chocolate leather on recliner. Pillows come with the sofa, so picked a solid moss green for two and a complementary stripe in the red/green/gold for the other two. I know had for you to tell with no really photos, but what do you think? wish I could take you to the store with me. I'm going back tomorrow and will try to take a pic of the fabrics.
December 1, 2012 at 2:34pm   
PRO
the essentials inside
jdicianni

How did your designer visit go?

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
December 1, 2012 at 2:35pm   
jdicianni
See above note
December 1, 2012 at 2:39pm   
PRO
the essentials inside
I think we must have posted our comments at exactly the same time! I wish I could go to the store w/you too! Too bad I'm all the way on the East Coast.

VERY nice choice for the recliner. Good job pulling hubby away from the other. :) But now you might have to get your pup a matching one (see pic)!

Are you getting two of the recliners or just one? I love the chair w/the ottoman too!

I think moss green is a great choice. Very versatile. My last couch was that color & my best friend's couch is that color.

I do like the wedge -- same concern about lazy Sunday lounging - is it going to be comfy for that?

Did you look at their corner tv cabinet while you were there?

This is all coming together rather nicely! But all this talk about comfy chairs is making me sleepy.

Keep me updated! Talk to you soon.

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
December 1, 2012 at 7:24pm   
jdicianni
oh how funny...the dog bed DOES match the recliner! I am getting just one recliner. Yes the wedge is very comfy. It is deep enough that you can stretch out, I did so at the store. Glad you like the other chair too. But my concern now is the height of the wedge. Maybe I am just so use to my old furniture and looking over it easily even from sitting at the kitchen table. What do you think about 39" high? Current furniture is 31.
December 2, 2012 at 5:33am   
jdicianni
oh forgot to answer you about the tV cabinet from smith. I don't think it was big enough. Have to keep looking. Also, it has to come out far enough so the TV clears the mantle since most of the bases are quite a bit higher than we have now. We only have a 17" high base now. Most I saw were 25 and up. TV would hit the mantle. We need a lower base or one that would stick out farther into the room I think.
December 2, 2012 at 5:36am   
jdicianni
By the way, 39" sofa would actually be 1 inch higher than the half wall.
December 2, 2012 at 5:37am   
jdicianni
Here are the fabrics. Darker green sofa. Small print chair and ottoman. Stripe and lighter green pillows.
Brown leather recliner.
December 2, 2012 at 1:41pm     
PRO
the essentials inside
I think higher than the half wall is ok. It won't be right up against the wall so 1 inch will be barely noticeable.

Fabrics look great. Those pillows have a lot of great colors in them that you can use in other parts of the room!

Too bad their corner tv cabinet won't work. I'll look for more.

Did you order or are you still thinking? How long will delivery take - 8 weeks?

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
December 3, 2012 at 3:40pm   
jdicianni
I am so glad you like the fabrics. I think I looked at everyone available to me :) They look better in person. All have great texture. The order got placed today! There is a chance I will get the sofa and chair/ottoman before Christmas! But not the recliner. I am having 30 people over for a End of the World party (and my birthday) on Dec 21st. They will probably want to deliver on that day...NOT.
December 3, 2012 at 4:13pm   
PRO
the essentials inside
Happy almost birthday! Sounds like it is going to be a great party, especially if everyone is going to party like its the end of the world. :)

That's great that you might get some pieces before Christmas! Now to plan the accessories! Are you going to paint?

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
December 3, 2012 at 7:00pm   
jdicianni
Will need to paint, but won't get that done until after the holidays.
December 3, 2012 at 9:04pm   
PRO
the essentials inside
So I know where there is a gap in the market - corner tv cabinets. Found nothing good so far :( but will find! :)

Saw this on houzz via someone I follow on twitter -

That is near you I think.

Happy Holidays!

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
December 9, 2012 at 8:27am   
jdicianni
Tell me about it! I have been searching the internet and all I find are low, traditional TV cabinets. I need a 46-48 inch corner cabinet. But I need one that the top is almost diamond shape, ie cannot have the front just straight across....need the front corners angle! This is because of the fireplace hearth/brick sticking out into the room. So that even further reduces the cabinet choices. And, most of the cabinets are only around 20" deep. If I push the cabinet against the wall as should be....it won't stick out far enough to allow the TV to come out beyond the fireplace mantel! If I put it forward/into the room away from the wall a bit....I cannot use a hutch. Really stuck. :(
December 9, 2012 at 2:53pm   
PRO
the essentials inside
I'll keep looking & I'll ask around about getting something made. It might not be that expensive.

Plus, there are a lot of rooms here on Houzz where a corner tv cabinet would work nicely. Maybe we'll start a trend - the jdicianni tv cabinet, carried exclusively by the essentials inside. :)

Are you in touch w/the designer who helped you pick out the furniture - can/did you ask him/her about it?

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
December 9, 2012 at 8:13pm   
jdicianni
I love it! A cabinet named after me!! LOL
I asked the designer from the furniture store...they do not carry anything that will work.
The base need to be deeper. I saw one that had a hutch that was close, but the base was too high :( Tv would hit the mantle. Thanks for helping me look.
December 10, 2012 at 8:28am     
PRO
the essentials inside
You're very welcome. Sorry we haven't found anything so far.

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
December 10, 2012 at 8:29pm   
PRO
the essentials inside
A twitter designer friend knows a custom furniture maker in the Chicago area. He's going to get me the name. Can't hurt to inquire.

Counting the days till ur b'day extravaganza?

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
December 11, 2012 at 4:07pm   
jdicianni
can't hurt! thanks
December 11, 2012 at 4:50pm   
shyasia456
I would add build-in a round the fireplace. Change the fireplace brick to Floor-to-ceiling glass and marble mosaic tiles in brown, gold, cream and grey tones, change the size of the firepalce so that the tv can be place in the build-in with out the look like it does fit. I would also change the trim work in there as well. Adding window panels to the all the way to the top of the ceiling give the room a taller feeling. There nothing wrong with adding two chairs with no arms by the bay window with a mirrior or glass end table in the midde for more seating. People here has a lot fo good idea. Good look with your project!!!!
December 18, 2012 at 7:11am   
PRO
Dura Supreme Cabinetry
This living room has a very similar shape. Maybe this will give you some ideas. You can mount the TV over the firplace and add storage on both sides.

December 18, 2012 at 8:04am     
PRO
Dura Supreme Cabinetry
Here's another photo. being you don't have the opening like this room I would just flip the furiture to oposite side the seating faces the window instead.

December 18, 2012 at 8:06am   
jdicianni
Thanks but we have decided, we do not want the TV over the fireplace. Just don't care for 'looking up' to watch TV.
December 18, 2012 at 9:09am     
PRO
the essentials inside
Haven't gotten the name of the furniture maker from my twitter designer friend yet - will check in w/him again tonight - but I did come across someone here on Houzz in your area -- http://www.houzz.com/pro/bwinteriors/b-w-interiors-chicago

Hope all is well and you're getting ready for your party!

Anything else new?

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
December 18, 2012 at 6:49pm   
jdicianni
ok, thanks Lyvonne. Yes getting ready for party. Having 29 out of the 32 invited....good turn out. got some Mayan music and some classic end of the world songs ready. Cake and food ordered...so just need to clean up the house, shop for rest of food, and decorate! should be fun. Nothing else new furniture wise. Furniture won't arrive until mid-late January now. they had the fabric for the sofa, but someone snatched the fabric for the chair before my order came in and next shipment wasn't due in until january 3rd. So won't take delivery until all the pieces are available. don't want half old and have new in the room :)
December 19, 2012 at 5:54am     
leannebrum
Our family room is very similar, although not as wide or quite as long. Fortunately, our window is not a bay, so we are able to put the sofa there with no problem. Just wondering about the width of the wall to the left of the bay? If it is wide enough, you could put a small media cabinet there and mount the tv on a bracket that does extension and swivel above. This could make tv watching more versatile and disappear somewhat when you don't need it to be a focal point.
December 19, 2012 at 8:20am   
jdicianni
wow, you must have read my mind. I was just thinking about if that wall next to the window could work for a cabinet and then mount the TV. Didn't know how that would look if a straight/retangular cabinet/stand was place on that wall instead of the fireplace wall. that wall is like 5 feet. So a cabinet could definately go on it. But not sure how the TV angle way out (ie some part would be hanging in mid air) would look. Lyvonne, what do you think.
December 19, 2012 at 9:20am   
PRO
the essentials inside
Great thinking leannebrum! That idea didn't cross my mind at all but I like it. Here are some things I found on Houzz --

Pivoting TV turning into bookcase
Lindy Donnelly
Family Room 1
Family Room

Or you could have the tv come out of the ceiling or up out of a shorter cabinet.

Contemporary Bedroom
Crisp Architects

But don't get anything until after the 21st! You never know... :)

Sounds like it is going to be a great party!

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
December 19, 2012 at 8:40pm   
PRO
the essentials inside
How was the party? :)

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
December 29, 2012 at 8:19pm     
jdicianni
Hi Lyvonne. Party was great. Invited 34 people ....had 31! Full house. Had palm tree in family room with vines around windows and light fixtures. Also big poster of tiki god with mouth, eyes, nostrils cut out that went in front of fireplace so fire showed thru. Mayan calendar was put on the cake. My kitchen island had tiki torches on it and every basket or wooden/metal bask/dish I owned with lots of different mexican appetizers , then make your own fajitas with rice and beans and quesadillas. When thru 18 bottles of wine plus margheritas and mojitos. but was I pooped on Saturday!

new furniture to arrive on January 19th!
December 30, 2012 at 11:59am     
PRO
the essentials inside
THAT sounds like one awesome party! Too bad I'm all the way over here on the East Coast. ;)

Bet you can't wait for the new furniture to arrive!

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
December 30, 2012 at 1:27pm     
PRO
the essentials inside
Furniture is almost here right?? :)

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
January 16, 2013 at 9:15am   
PRO
the essentials inside
BTW - the furniture maker in Chicago is:
Creative Wood Concepts, Inc.
1680 N. Ada St., Chicago, Illinois 60622
773-384-9960

Highly recommended from twitter designer friend.

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
January 16, 2013 at 10:37am   
jdicianni
Thanks Lyvonne. Sorry for not replying sooner, but nothing to say until I received the furniture. Got the furniture last week. Put it in the layout we had planned to do.....did not like it at all. Its quite a bit bigger than my old furniture so having the chair at the end of the sofa (even divided by an end table) made it feel like one continuous wall of furniture. too much on one wall. So....we did what I figured we would have to do in the beginning. Flip the room.
So the curved sofa is now behind the half wall corner nearer the window. The fabric chair and ottoman are staying to the left of the fireplace. And the recliner is replacing the TV to the right of the fireplace. I really didn't like seeing the back of the recliner especially when it was reclined. plus you have to keep it far enough away from the wall which meant it stuck out into the room too much. And didn't align with the other pieces. So putting it where the TV is now...i will be able to look at the front view of the recliner and not really notice how far from the wall it is. much better I hope.
This way I use 3 corner of the room instead of mostly all on one side. At least thats the plan.
We have to get the cable moved to what will now be the big blank wall, so we can put the TV on that wall. I need to find a console to put it on. i am looking for something about 8 feet long and 28ish inch high by about 20 inch deep. This way it will extend beyond the TV so I can put some other items on it and use more of the wall.
That's the plan. Will still need to get new carpet, lights, maybe a sofa table for behind the curved sofa to fill that corner a bit. Boy, one thing leads to another, huh? So much for just getting a few new pieces and carpet.
I'll post a new pick once I get the furniture in place. Then we can go from there. If you know any good sources for consoles as I mentioned, let me know.
Jan
January 30, 2013 at 10:20am     
PRO
Poole's Stone and Garden, Inc.
Stone would really liven this room up.
January 30, 2013 at 11:38am   
karmeg
First of all, the tv next to the fireplace kills the look of the fireplace. It is too crowded and they are competing for attention. The black tv is a distraction and the least attractive element in the room.
also, the room is "weighted " to one side ; all the dark furniture is clustered and " heavy looking without any visual balance on the other side of the room.
Definitely do window treatments to soften the edges ( drapes on the ends are fine ).
I would put a large sectional in front of ( but not tightly up against ) the window, with the side extension wrapping in the direction of where you now have the love seat.
You will have as much seating but more open space.
Put the tv on the large wall opposite the window, HOWEVER , you MUST put something more substantial ( as in a tableware built in shelving ) under the tv and extending beyond the width of the tv.
You should build up a decorated wall ( either built ins/ bookcases, etc )around The tv so it is just not a black dot on a large wall.
You can do pictures and open shelving ( less costly than bookcases) around the tv and above maybe a 6 ft London table that holds the tv.
You can even fit two ottomans for extra seating under the "tv" table or large baskets for storage.
I would remove the chest from the left side of the fireplace, and instead have a comfy chair and ottoman angled more into the seating area from that corner.
You can also do a nice floor lamp somewhere behind the chair and if the budget allows, work some lighting into the tv side of the room.
As the room comes together you might be able to work the chest and the table( currently to the right of the sofa ). into the plan
I f you have a sectional as I described, try one of these pieces against the 1/2 wall Btwn. The kitchen and family room.
The longer table might be great for placing a laptop and lamp on, or to use as a server when you entertain.
Or - the chest might work there with a small scale chair next to it ( or one on either side of it - can't tell from phot how much room there is.
Just remember, we all have a tv but it is the least attractive and most distracting thing in the room when standing alone squeezed in by a fireplace so you can see both at the same time.
NO ONE wants to look at both at the same time.
A sectional in a narrow room, allows viewing access with the tv on one wall and the fireplace gets to be the star on the other wall.
Good luck !
January 30, 2013 at 12:04pm   
jdicianni
Thanks Karmeg for you your comments. Seems like we are headed in about the same direction. I have a large curved sofa now which is in the corner below the half wall from the kitchen and curves up to the windows. Room is not wide enough for me to put the sofa directly in front of the windows and be able to add other seating (since its not a sectional). I am planning to move the TV to the large wall. I too do not like the fireplace and TV together, but it was all we could do originally.
I am looking at purchasing an 8 foot console/cabinet that will support the TV on the large wall and also as you say 'extend beyond the TV' to allow me to add pictures other on one or both sides of the TV for height and more width on that large wall. I do not want 'a black dot' on the wall :)
I also have a new chair with ottoman that fits nicely in front of the cabinet to the left of the fireplace so no need to change that cabinet to another spot. My other larger chair will replace the TV on the right side of the fireplace. Lighting will be an issue for us to work, but I need to get all the furniture in its proper locations before I can address that successfully. When I get more things in place I will post a new pic. I welcome everyones comments on how to then 'accessorize' the room! pics, lighting, etc.
January 31, 2013 at 11:59am     
alefantee
This room is too busy. Try taking away some patterns.
January 31, 2013 at 12:03pm     
alefantee
And maybe swap out the couches....
January 31, 2013 at 12:03pm     
jdicianni
fyi, this looks like the layout we are going to go with. Since we already purchased the furniture...have to work with what we have.
January 31, 2013 at 12:34pm     
jdicianni
But like I said a larger console for the TV.
January 31, 2013 at 12:35pm     
PRO
the essentials inside
Hi Jan! So glad to hear from you & so glad the furniture arrived! The new layout looks good. Wonder if it is possible to move the tv cabinet to the left (away from the fireplace) a bit & then move the chairs in?

Post pics when you can - then we can see where you go from here!

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
February 1, 2013 at 4:51pm   
jdicianni
Hi Lyvonne! yes, we will play with the distance from the wall. The recliner will have to come into the room about 3 feet from the corner anyhow to allow for reclining. So the chair & ottoman will likely be out farther than in the floor plan. Once I get the TV moved and onto a console, I'll have a better idea of how to position the chairs and sofa.
February 1, 2013 at 5:14pm