Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Color and curb appeal help!
mamiyos
November 25, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I'm about to re-paint my home the same color... Any ideas for a new color or ideas to improve curb appeal/refresh the house would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
victorianbungalowranch
Actually I really like the current color! I could see changing the trim to something less white.

Going lighter will require priming first, but this style of house could be almost any color.I like the online paint previewer at Sherwin Williams (most paint companies have them) to experiment. I would create masks for the trim, the siding, and maybe the door. It is fun to play with once you make the masks, which can be a bit time consuming.
1 Like   November 25, 2012 at 5:36PM
mamiyos
Thank you! I'm going to play with the color visualizer this is such a neat idea.
0 Likes   November 25, 2012 at 5:45PM
houssaon
I really like the color you have now. A subtle teal would work, too.

There are a couple of things I would change. First is the planting right in front of the door. I would keep that area open. In fact, I would have a blue stone walkway that curved around to the front door from the front. I'd move the vine on the treliss that is in front of the window to the side of the window. I would replace the lights in the portico with a hanging lantrn style. It might look nice to have a planting bed in the lawn to one side with an ornamental tree such as a Stewartia, Japanese Red Maple, Japanese Snowball or Easter redbud.
5 Likes   November 25, 2012 at 6:12PM
mamiyos
Thank you very much Houssaon! I really like the idea of the lanterns in place of the current exterior lighting. I'm also looking at the plants I currently have. Thank you!
0 Likes   November 25, 2012 at 7:32PM
mamiyos
Another view of front of house.
0 Likes   November 25, 2012 at 7:36PM
constancemary
I love the colour of this house as is. Houssaon's pointers are spot on.
1 Like   November 25, 2012 at 7:44PM
standinginline
Geat suggestions already. If i had a choice I would go with a lighter shade of blue like on this house... http://blog.openspacetrust.org/category/blue-house-farm/ ...I think lightening up the house will give it a more uplifting look and feel, and not so heavy with the darker color.
1 Like   November 25, 2012 at 7:47PM
reolee
I just painted my house Sherwin-Williams "Powder Blue" with very white-white trim. Then I will be adding some black accents in the trim and front wrought iron railing. (As of now, the accent will be a spring project!) It's a bit lighter than yours, but not as light as the one suggested above. My house now looks so very different from the faded yellow that it was before! It looks fresh and clean. I'm sorry I don't have any pictures yet!
1 Like   November 25, 2012 at 8:22PM