Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with kitchen on potential floor plan
andersonaj
November 25, 2012 in Design Dilemma
We are considering building a house with this floor plan. The area of the kitchen where you would put the table is very long (21 feet). How would you use the space? Would you put a long table (maybe 6-ft) and maybe a sitting area on the right side? Other ideas? I want the kitchen to feel comfortable and cozy.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
houssaon
I think the hearth room is meant to have seating, like sofa and a couple of chairs. The kitchen table would go somewhere near the French doors and the great room. Here is one example:

I personally don't like to have to go through the bathroom to get to the closet. If the door to bedroom 3 were moved down the hall a bit, then the closet could be accessed from the Master bedroom. I'd rather have two full baths than a Jack and Jill. It looks like you have the space for two in that area.
November 25, 2012 at 9:11pm     
architectrunnerguy
Like houssaon I don't like going through the bath to get to the closet either.

But I especially don't like that long dead end corridor going back to the master bedroom. Think for a minute and imagine what's that going to look and feel like.
November 26, 2012 at 2:34am   
bargainhunter
Where it says 'breakfast/hearth room ' I would have a lovely big table and buffet. The 'dining room' at the front I would have as my study. I like large open spaces without clutter and I think with rugs and drapes this could easily have warm ambience.
November 26, 2012 at 3:42am   
inkwitch
I wonder sometimes who comes up with these houseplans. It seems anachronistic to have so much space devoted to "garage." Do you have that many cars? And where do the stairs go? Is there an upstairs or is that to the basement? And why 2 sets of stairs?

This was not your question. Breakfast room. Trust me, if you aren't going to have stools or chairs at the kitchen island, you'll definitely want to have a dining set in that area. People love to hang out in a kitchen, and for everyday life, that's where most people eat.

The question of the size of the table depends on how many people live in this house. If you have several children/teenagers, a big table will be handy. If it's just the two of you (you're going to rattle around in this house like two beebees in a boxcar!), then a more intimate seating, perhaps a banquet. They have a coziness. Eliminate the slider (?) going to the covered porch and put in windows. It will give the room a "sunroom" effect. You can go in and out through the french doors from the great room.

That leaves you with the option of putting a loveseat and a chair in front of the FP at the opposite end.

All of this kinda depends on how many people vwill live there.
November 26, 2012 at 4:02am   
PRO
Roanoke Woodworking Inc.
I'm seeing more and more kitchens eliminating the angled island in favor of a straight island. When you look at the island now, you'll see that it is difficult to stand at the sink with the dishwasher open. Also, where are you going to put the clean dishes? You are going to have to empty the contents of the dishwasher onto the island, close the dishwasher, and then walk around the kitchen to put things away.

By straightening the island, it would put the dishwasher closer to the opposing wall (less steps to empty) and allow the dishwasher to be open while you are standing at the sink. It would also free up space behind the island for a much bigger table, also allowing for some comfy chairs around the fireplace, like houssaon suggested.
November 26, 2012 at 5:44am   
PRO
Custom Home Planning Center
I'd do a rumsford fire box: see: http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=image+rumford+fireplace&qpvt=image+rumford+fireplace&FORM=IGRE

two chairs, with foot stools or one love seat and foot stools. The remainder with a nice variety of indoor plans and a tall bistro table and stools.
November 26, 2012 at 6:54am   
andersonaj
Thanks for all the feedback. architectrunnerguy - can you give thoughts on how you might modify the plan to eliminate the long corridor?
November 26, 2012 at 7:26am   
Could you pull the left garage forward so you can have a door to the second garage off the first garage and not have to go thru the laundry room? The laundry would be much better.
In the kitchen can you move the fireplace to the patio wall and back up the patio fireplace to it? This would place the fireplace so you can see it while working in the kitchen, have a round table on left end,
The sitting area would have more space and better for serving food to the table.
If you want a door off the kitchen to the patio , have a single French door. And sliding French doors in family room for better furniture arrangement.
November 26, 2012 at 7:31am   
Sorry I wrote the above and want to add
Replace where fireplace was on left with windows. It would be great having the table where windows are on two sides to look out of and have more light
Vicky C
November 26, 2012 at 7:35am