Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help for mini bar / lounge in 3rd floor room
annbooya
November 25, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Hi, I'm new here but hope I can get some good ideas/feedback on this! We have a 3rd floor "bonus room" that was originally set up as a game room when we first moved in to our townhome. We have since sold the pool table and are trying to sell the bar table/stools, which all came with the house. We are in our late 20s with no kids yet, so we want to create a hangout room for our friends to drink and hang out in, as well a place where our nieces, nephews, and future kids would be ok hanging out in.

Our ideas so far: We want to cover one entire wall with dry erase paint (the wall to the immediate left of the picture), so friends and family can doodle and leave notes. We also want to add a TV (on the far right wall in the pic), karaoke machine, lounge furniture, comfy chairs, little bar area to hold drinks and snacks (thinking on the long wall close to the left dry erase wall), low table, and some communal games like jumbo Jenga or Connect Four. We're thinking of a gray, white, and teal color scheme. The carpet is a forest green that we hate so we want to cover it up with a big area rug but still have colors that go with it. There is also a half bathroom not pictured, directly across from the long wall.

What do you all think? Any suggestions on how to make it even more comfy and inviting to hang out in and have fun in? Our budget is only about $1000 since it's an "extra room" and our taste is modern and simple, so we're looking at Ikea, PBTeen, CB2, Target, etc. And the big thing I need help with - what should I do to create a small bar area in the corner? We like the Swig Mini Bar from CB2 but it's a little expensive ($400) considering our budget for the whole thing, so trying to find other cabinets, tables, or furniture that could have the same function in storing bottles, glasses, shakers, etc. I appreciate any help! (Sorry for the super long post!!)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
charleee
Your budget is $1,000 INCLUDING the large area rug? That is challenging. What is under the carpet? If it's just plywood, paint it all one color, then use painters tape to create a grid and roll on a second color. The end result will look like something like tile and you can have Sharpies handy for your friends to write messages and thoughts on. If you like this idea, you can now afford the Swig Mini Bar.
November 26, 2012 at 2:53AM   
annbooya
I'm not sure what's under the carpet but that's an interesting idea that I hadn't thought of. Not sure if I'd want permanent doodles on the floor, but I like the idea of a grid design. How much would it take to get some carpenters to pull up the carpet or is it something relatively easy to do ourselves? And is there specific paint for floors?
November 26, 2012 at 8:24AM   
charleee
You can pull up the carpet yourself. Get a box cutter with a sharp blade, start at one wall and slice all the way down no more than two feet wide. Roll it up, move on to the next section.

I believe there is special floor paint, check with the paint dept at Home Depot or Lowes.
November 26, 2012 at 8:59AM   
mpoulsom
I would look into getting 2 Expedit shelving units from IKEA ($60 each), and separating the 2 with either a sideboard (maybe a ISALA from IKEA $199) or an IKEA PS cabinet ($99). They could butt up to each other along a wall. Above the middle cabinet mounting a tv, a large mirror, or floating shelves to store glasses or liquor/wine bottles, pretties, whatever you want. You could store games, or misc bar items in the Expedit shelving units. You would have plenty of money left over for an area rug. AND you may even find one for a great price at IKEA too.
And I would also paint one of the walls with chalkboard paint instead of dry erase...It comes in different colors now as well. You could even make it gray instead of black if you wanted to. One last note....DART BOARD! :)
November 26, 2012 at 9:39AM     
mpoulsom
this rug is 6'7" square... for $69 from ikea. You could buy 4 of them and put them together for one big area rug...just a thought Total $280.00
November 26, 2012 at 9:49AM     
PRO
ATGStores.com
Hi, Ann! We cruised our selection of contemporary bar cabinets (http://www.atgstores.com/contemporary-modern-home-bars_1068_s3.html?) to see if we could find anything less expensive than the Swig, and we posted images of a few options. All of these are priced under $300. You may also want to consider a wall-mounted bar mirror with hanging storage and shelf space. We hope this gives you some ideas and wish you luck!
November 26, 2012 at 11:18AM     
annbooya
These are fantastic suggestions! I really like this Ikea rug and it's only $20! http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10177885/#/10177885

The bar cabinets are exactly what I've been looking for! My husband likes this one: http://www.atgstores.com/home-bars/monarch-specialties-i-2545-wine-storage-bar-cabinet_g1294358.html?linkLoc=quickView

I like this one in white: http://www.atgstores.com/home-bars/coaster-fine-furniture-10016-bar-table_g1237750.html?isku=9218216&linkloc=cataLogProductItemsImage

Thank you for these awesome suggestions! I'll keep looking but I feel much better than this is totally doable with our budget. :)
November 26, 2012 at 7:57PM