Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Good color for small bedroom
ichivivi20
November 25, 2012 in Design Dilemma
My bedroom is small and square and has just one window on one side. Ceiling is white while floors are off-white granite. What color should I paint the walls? I want the room to be warm and cozy. Would dark brown be a good idea?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
ichivivi20
Here's a photo that might help. Granite tiles are in place now. You can see the window on the left-hand side.
November 25, 2012 at 10:45pm   
lowprofile
In my opinion dark brown in a room which you are in when it is dark, would make it way to dark. Unless it is only one wall you are painting and the rest remains white.
November 25, 2012 at 10:47pm   
lowprofile
And it is also a very small window, so I would go for a lighter color.
November 25, 2012 at 10:48pm   
hanhle
Yellow colour will help brighten your room,also warm lighting and a few ( just a few ) dark colour furniture / decorating items can bring cozy effect.And why dont you try wall paper?I think wall paper is one of good choices for an elegance and charming decor.
November 25, 2012 at 11:38pm   
rosiegabby
I agree that brown is too dark for this room. When choosing a color consider what it will look like with incandescent or other lighting you will be using since you may have these lights on frequently when using the bedroom. I chose a creamy color for our living room but with incandescent light it looks yellow and since we have a light problem these lights are on most of the time.
November 26, 2012 at 2:25am   
ichivivi20
Thank you all for your input. Yes, dark brown is a good bedroom color, just not for this particular bedroom. I'll be having fluorescent lighting in my room, so the wall color will look pretty much the same in the day or at night. Yellow seems like such a cheery color! I'm considering it.
November 26, 2012 at 5:10am   
michigammemom
If you like the idea of a chocolate brown for your bedroom, consider an accent wall like this inspiration room. Notice that light colored furnishings and bright accent colors are used to keep the room from looking cavelike.
November 26, 2012 at 5:28am   
ichivivi20
@michi: Ah, yes, like lowprofile suggested, only using chocolate brown on an accent wall. Thank you; the photo was enlightening!
November 26, 2012 at 5:39am   
Natalie
Bue---yellow can be too stimulating in a bedroom. If you want to have yellow as an accent-fine.
Here is a pic for inspiration. As for the window, make it appear larger by hanging floor to ceiling panels on either side-see pic. Add a rug to warm up that granite floor(pic). Good Luck!
[houzz=
]http://www.rugsusa.com/rugsusa/rugs/rugs-usa-hillcrest/sandstone/200HJSAN9B-508.html
November 26, 2012 at 5:52am   
PRO
Dytecture
Any 'soft' colors would be nice for a calm, relaxing bedroom.

November 26, 2012 at 6:23am   
ichivivi20
Again, thank you all for your thoughts! I used this nifty little program called the Sherwin Williams visualizer and saw that I liked sky blue best. It's just so relaxing when paired with white ceilings and light-colored floors.
November 28, 2012 at 3:15am     
More Discussions
Any help for my room? Thanks!!!
Hi, I'm hannah, I am going to be a junior this year...
Affectionate, yet Affordable. Doable?
Working on a tight budget, but want to get maximum...
Living room TV wall
I feel like the wall behind my TV is an eyesore. I...
Need entryway help!!
I have the world's most boring entryway! I have worked...
Have you ever had a laundry disaster?
You open the doors to the laundry machine and out falls...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.