Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help how to place furniture in my living room
ideen33
November 26, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Looking for some ideas how to arrange furniture in my living room. I'm starting fresh - the room is empty. I'm thinking of placing the TV over the fireplace if it works with the room design. The fireplace can be torn town to make it larger if needed.
The room is very small approx. 18x13
The window is 103 inches wide
opening to the dining room is 80 inches.
I like the contemporary / eclectic style with a cozy feel. My problem is that with two openings to the room I don't know how to place furniture.
Is there a good software that does rendering or is there anybody who does rendering.
I'm very grateful for any ideas. I can not to this project alone.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Stanton Designs-online design services
I love that floor! If you need help with your project visit my website stantondesigns.com I offer online design services. I can help with layout, what pieces of furniture, paint selection, accessories..... you name it! If you need anything please email me! and good luck!
0 Likes   November 26, 2012 at 2:36PM
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
Here's how I would layout furniture in your living room. It's critical that you not get furniture any bigger than the measurements given on the pieces, or you'll not be able to fit it in. The circles with an X are lamps. Please let me know if this will work for you. Click on drawing to enlarge it please.
22 Likes   November 26, 2012 at 3:23PM
ideen33
That is a very nice layout. I really like it. For the 36x 14 piece do you recommend a side table or should I get a cabinet. Do you have a favorite place to shop for furniture. Thank you so much for your time to do the drawing. I really appreciate your help. I might get built ins next to the fireplace or will that be too much.
0 Likes   November 26, 2012 at 4:42PM
ideen33
the only other option I have would be to place the TV on the wall that is 112 inches. Any ideas how I could make this layout work?
0 Likes   November 26, 2012 at 5:00PM
PRO
Ideen33, glad you like the drawing! The 36x14" piece could be a chest that is 30 to 36" high, or it could be a console. And, yes indeed, you could do built-in bookcases flanking the fireplace, 12 to 14" deep, no problem.

I like the Mitchell Gold/Bob Williams furniture line. I was interested recently in reading that they were offering a sofa that was only 30" deep, an unusual and very nice thing to have available to us in this world where so many sofas are now 42" deep!

Too often these days people buy extra deep furniture or furniture with extra wide arms that are too big for their rooms. Unless they have a designer, most people don't have a clue what size furniture will really work well in their home. They don't measure and they don't ask what the dimensions are on the pieces they are buying. Which only proves that not using a designer can be very expensive!

Sherrill Furniture is one of my favorite lines, and within that line the Plaza Collection offers great values that your Sherrill dealer may not mention unless you inquire about them. All Sherrill sofas and chairs are still made using the 8 way hand tied method. That's quality! They also offer their products in an enormous number of fabric choices. For tables and chests, they make the Sherrill CTH line.

I think that Crate & Barrel has good looking furnishings, but I know nothing about their quality.
For a great look at a very low price, I like a lot of what Ikea offers. They have a $29.95 office lamp in chrome that I've put in million dollar homes. Hey, even millionaires like a bargain!
6 Likes   November 26, 2012 at 5:17PM
PRO
Yes, you could put your TV on a low entertainment center, or on the wall above the entertainment center. Here's the layout for that, below. Again, you'll need to click on the drawing to enlarge it.

If you do a solid entertainment center, I would not do a solid coffee table. I would do one or the other with open legs. If you don't understand what I mean, tell me please. A room can look very closed in when all the furniture goes to the floor. Sofas and chairs and tables with legs will give you a more open look, creating the look of a bigger room.
8 Likes   November 26, 2012 at 5:39PM
PRO
By the way, that round ottoman is only there for extra seating at large family gatherings. If you don't need it, then just eliminate it.
0 Likes   November 26, 2012 at 5:41PM
PRO
If you like contemporary, then you should also look at Room & Board, Design Within Reach, BoConcept and Copenhagen. I also like some of Macy's contemporary leather furniture and it's very well priced. Mitchell Gold/Bob Williams has things that I think both you and your husband might like as it is very transitional to contemporary looking. Sherrill has some contemporary, but not in the Plaza Collection. Star Furniture also has some contemporary at good prices.

Your English, ideen, is superb, for it being your second language.
Carolyn
1 Like   November 26, 2012 at 6:21PM
PRO
You are very welcome. And remember that we're only as far away as your computer.
1 Like   November 26, 2012 at 6:45PM
ideen33
I will keep you updated with my progress.
0 Likes   November 26, 2012 at 6:52PM
PRO
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
OK - tear down the fireplace - make it all one horizontal line (see attached before and after)
Put your TV inside the cabinetry on a swivel arm - so that when you don't want to see it you don't have to! Makes for amazing ambiance when entertaining...
3 Likes   November 26, 2012 at 10:07PM
Joan Bartos
Do you really need a couch? Since your room is relatively small and has a window and an opening to the dining room,consider using comfortable chairs instead. Place them in an informal circle. Add some poufs,which can be used as ottomans or for extra seating.

I like West Elm for furniture,rugs,lamps and accessories. (I have no affiliation with the company).

Have fun!
2 Likes   November 26, 2012 at 11:19PM
njmom
I love Carol's 1st design with the idea of built-in bookshelves flanking the fireplace.......I would go no deeper than 12 inches or they can look too heavy in a smaller room.. Maybe a taller thin piece near the dining room door, like an antique jelly cupboard or clock. Good luck!
0 Likes   November 27, 2012 at 8:12AM
Vicki D
Before you layout the furniture, I think you should address the nooks on both sides of the fireplace. To me, they are screaming for some type of built-in shelving/cabinetry - possibly including a raised hearth to tie the 2 sides together. This will then become a much grander focal wall which might allow for 2 distinct seating areas - a small couch centered facing the fireplace and seperate area with a couple of chairs in the remainding area. I wouldn't worry about blocking the doorway with a couch in this position as long as the couch is a modest size. In essence, I am thinking more of a dual purpose seating arrangement for the entire space.
0 Likes   November 27, 2012 at 8:15AM
decoenthusiaste
I posted on this dilemma a while back and added pics of some Danish modern inspiration because you mentioned a new dining set in that style. Don't know where my comments went, so I'll just shut up.
0 Likes   November 27, 2012 at 8:20AM
ideen33
I liked Carols first design a lot. My husband does not know if he likes to look at the back of the chairs when you walk in the hall. He likes to more open feel of the second drawing. I decided to go for built ins next to the fireplace. Now I just need to find the right furniture.
0 Likes   November 27, 2012 at 8:27AM
PRO
Hey, gang, it's Carolyn, not Carol :)
3 Likes   November 27, 2012 at 9:02AM
oaklands
Ideen33...sorry to hijack your post but I'm having a similar problem with furniture arrangement...empty room also but my fireplace must stay.I would love if Carolyn could do a similar drawing for me....please oh please Carolyn can you help? :-)
0 Likes   November 27, 2012 at 9:52AM
PRO
Perhaps, if you'll give me dimensions of the room and of any existing furniture you want to use, and tell me how you want to use the room.
0 Likes   November 27, 2012 at 10:19AM
oaklands
Thanks Carolyn...its very small! approx 13ft x 11.5ft. Living room/tv room. Zero existing furniture...complete blank canvas...apart from black granite fireplace and walnut flooring. Recently took out old dated built in units in fireplace alcove....not sure if I should do built ins again as it has really opened up the space visually. Biggest issue is the placement of the TV...over the fireplace would be too high I think...very much appreciate any advice.Attached is a very poor paint pad sketch!
0 Likes   November 27, 2012 at 11:17AM
PRO
I drew in the built-ins in case you want to get new ones, but you're right, it will be more open without them. As you can see, by clicking on the drawing to enlarge it, the TV will be on the right wall and your sofa will be angled in the radiator corner. Someone in the family will be able to lay down on the sofa to watch TV.

Be VERY careful about exceeding any of the given dimensions. I wasn't too sure about the placement of the door, and I had it swing the other way because that's how it's usually done, but I believe I left sufficient room if it actually goes the other way.
2 Likes   November 27, 2012 at 11:54AM
oaklands
Thanks Carolyn...I like what you have done here....Completely different thought process to my own, which is exactly why I asked you :-)The door does infact open opposite to your drawing.When I replaced the door Ihad thought about having it open as you sketched it...but I would then have to have the light swiched relocated and it was just too much trouble at the time!Would it be too formal looking to have the sofa on the tv wall...and the tv over the radiator...could this be an other option for tv viewing?
0 Likes   November 27, 2012 at 12:15PM
PRO
That should work if the TV is not harmed by the heat from the radiator. It would also allow you to have a bigger coffee table. But if you stick to what is shown on the plan, then you'll have two ways to arrange your furniture and it's fun to change things around from time to time.

Be careful about your sofa size with just a 30" door as the movers could have difficulty getting it into the room.
0 Likes   November 27, 2012 at 12:26PM
Paula
This is what i was thinking of:
Have a cozy corner around the fire place with two comfy chairs. Will put builtin bookcases on the left side and maybe put several wall fixtures for candles to set a romantic atmosphere. You could also use one of these corners to store a pile of logs for the fireplace (if its a natural one) which really gives a homey touch to it.
Than i would use a twoseater and a chaislong as couch under the window towards the wall to the hallway where you can put some nice paintings or picture frames on both walls above the couch. A low furniture for the tv on the wall opposite the couch with maybe a nice floor lamp next to it. Than i would use a small but stylish coffee table at an angle so that there is a flow from the hall towards the dining room. The rugs devides the different areas.
I used the furniture that was available with the program i used but offcourse you should be sure of the sizes as was said earlier and adjust it to your style.
I hope you like some of my ideas! Succes!!
0 Likes   November 27, 2012 at 3:21PM
PRO
I like that concept and find it quite refreshing. Well done, paul!
0 Likes   November 27, 2012 at 6:14PM
ideen33
I do like the couch with the chaise and the idea with the coffee table at an angle. What I also like is that the entrance to the room is clear.
But I'm really looking for a layout where 5 or 6 people can sit together comfortable and talk.
0 Likes   November 27, 2012 at 7:02PM
ideen33
I just wanted to thank everybody who took the time to respond to my posting.

If I would not have that opening to the hallway I would take Carolyn's first design. I can see why many of you like it. I think Carolyn's second design works best for my space It gives me the seating I need.
0 Likes   November 27, 2012 at 7:47PM
PRO
Time Travel Designs
I did this mock up for your living space with a built in and TV over the fireplace. It might give you some ideas...Great space, btw.
7 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 2:44PM
ideen33
Wow... very nice! I like the idea of the old side board with new furniture. My husband decided he would like to have the TV on the wall that is 112 inches long. Instead of a TV console i could get an old sideboard. Build ins next to the fireplace look good. the other option I consider for the fireplace would be small slate or stone tile. The fireplace needs a face lift.
0 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 4:51PM
PRO
ideen, I'd love to see you start a new "design dilemma" question about the fireplace's facelift. I'll look forward to seeing it!
Attach Images
0 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 5:11PM
Vicki D
Glad to hear you aren't going to install the tv above the fireplace. First, the tv would be much too high for optimal viewing and second, you would have to make sure the tv is well insulated from the heat of the fireplace. The long wall is a much better choice. You might want to make a tv mock-up (to scale - we used cardboard) and test out the height based upon your normal tv watching position on the furniture. Sounds obvious but you would be surprised...
1 Like   November 29, 2012 at 5:12PM
PRO
I just went through these postings, not reading every word, but reading here and there, and then I stopped dead in my tracks, when I saw that 14 people had LIKED my first layout of furniture for ideen33. I was overwhelmed, with tears in my eyes, that there had been 14 people liking that design. Thank you all so much! I've never had that many people appreciate my houzz designs before and I am so grateful that what we houzzers do is appreciated!
6 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 5:28PM
ideen33
Hi Carolyn ! I went to a place yesterday that had Sherrill furniture. They had some furniture that i liked. The problem was they are all on the bigger side. On the way home I also stopped by a Basset furniture store. They had a few smaller chairs and sofas on display. . I' m looking for the 32x32 that you recommended. I was surprised that they had a good selection. Later this evening I will look at their website and check out the fabric they offer.
I always looked at modern entertainment consoles but after seeing jlraskin1 mock up I kind of like the look of some modern pieces with something old.
0 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 5:42PM
PRO
Sherrill Furniture offers many things in their catalog that you would not have seen on the floor. But Bassett also has nice things, though I don't believe they are 8 way hand tied.

As for entertainment consoles, I also liked what was in jlraskin1's mockup. It depends on what you want your entertainment center to do in the way of being able to use a remote to control equipment though the doors. You should check with your children about what is required, but I don't think remotes work through wood.
Carolyn
0 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 5:55PM
ideen33
Carolyn, when I saw your first design i thought this was it. The layout absolutely looks great. I placed on chair I had in the living room but my husband thinks that there is not enough space to walk around. I have a six year old and she always runs around.
You have now 16 likes and we who get your ideas and your time to help us we are VERY VERY grateful for all the help we get. You have no idea how happy I was when I first saw your drawing.
I would like to say Thank you again to all of the people who replied to my posting.
0 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 6:29PM
PRO
ideen, you are very welcome. I am very pleased to be of assistance. As much as you appreciate the help, I appreciate being useful.
Carolyn
1 Like   November 29, 2012 at 6:38PM
ideen33
Jlraskin1 could you please tell me what program you used to do the mock up. I would like to use it and see how Carolyn's second drawing would look like. I like the furniture you picked. Thanks!
0 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 7:26PM
PRO
Time Travel Designs
Not a problem...It's Photoshop.
0 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 8:57PM
ideen33
I'm horrible at photoshop :(
0 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 8:59PM
PRO
Time Travel Designs
Oh!! I know. It's not at all intuitive...I'm sorry.
0 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 9:03PM
PRO
Design Within Reach
Hi ideen33,

If you have yet to figure out what layout works best in your room, then check out our free 3D Room Planner. This is an easy way to move around furniture to find the best solution for your space.

I have included the link to a floor plan I have created for you. Thanks to Carolyn, I have created a furniture layout that you may be interested in, and can play around with. If you click the “Edit this 3D room” button on the bottom of the rendering, you have the option to move around the furniture I have placed in there.

Hope this helps and best of luck with your space!
http://dwr.mydeco.com/3d-design/design-dilemma/3828275/

Best,
Jill@DWR
0 Likes   December 14, 2012 at 9:31AM
kwoldemi
Can you please help me? I am also having the same problem with furniture arrangement for our new house - family room and game room. We would like to use the family room down stairs just for sitting guests and game room to watch TV. I have attached the floor plan. Thank you much.
0 Likes   September 9, 2013 at 8:51AM
pricesa
I opened a new Design Delimma. Nancy's right about posting on someone else's delimma. First time user; didn't really know how to use it before Nancy's comment.
[**I could use some help with my family room as well. I have used 4 "self-proclaimed" (in my opinion) interior decorators and none have gotten this room right. Three of the four worked in a furniture store and only suceeded in selling me furniture. This is a very difficult room for me because of all the openings (no adjoing walls w/o bookcases). Scale 1/4" = 1 foot.**]
0 Likes   September 13, 2013 at 9:56AM
1 Like   Thanked by ideen33    September 13, 2013 at 10:21AM
Nancy Walton
Would those who have posted their dilemmas on this person's dilemma please start their own dilemma? It is kind of rude to usurp someone else's dilemma, nevermind very confusing for all who try to decipher who the original poster is...
0 Likes   September 13, 2013 at 10:33AM
kwoldemi
I actually did 2 days ago. At first,I did know how this worked. I apology, did not mean to be rude.
0 Likes   September 13, 2013 at 10:52AM
Nancy Walton
I know it probably didn't occur to you... sorry. You could always post the url for your dilemma.
0 Likes   September 13, 2013 at 1:29PM
Nancy Walton
Actually, the room is not that small. I think the two openings deceive you into thinking the space is small because of the lack of wall space. Ideen, I would begin by placing the sofa centered on the windows, then place the TV against the 112" wall with a console for electronics under. Have swivel chairs, so those sitting in them can either look at the fireplace or the TV. Swivel chairs are so versatile... Anyway, that is where I would start. I would also consider a rug at least 8 x 11. Then I would go from there after the large pieces are chosen.
1 Like   Thanked by ideen33    September 13, 2013 at 1:37PM
pricesa
Comment removed!
0 Likes   September 13, 2013 at 1:58PM
kaawatts
Carolyn, I am tying to figure put furniture arrangement for my living room as well as picture hanging. My room is a very similar layout to ideen33, except that instead of fireplace we have another window that is not in the center of the wall. It is about 24" from the corner closest to the dining room opening. We currently have a couch, love seat, and chair in the room with coffee and end tables. I also have a small desk behind the love seat right now. Any ideas would be great
0 Likes   October 4, 2013 at 6:19PM
Nancy Walton
Kaawatts, I think you'll find more help if you post your own dilemma...
0 Likes   October 4, 2013 at 10:53PM
kaawatts
Thanks, I will try to do that once. I get some floorplans drawn
0 Likes   October 5, 2013 at 5:38PM
Nancy Travisinteriors
All items on walls remove too small and high. Is there a TV? What is room used for and how many people will be using it. .?
0 Likes   October 5, 2013 at 7:40PM