Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Slant in floor in master bedroom help!
lmac_1
November 26, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Our master bedroom is above steps and we have a large slope in the floor 3X3X3. Previous owners had a huge desk built to hide the slope but we had to remove it. Any ideas what to build or how to decorate to hide this slant?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
apple_pie_order
How about a large wood box acting as a platform to put a TV on? Or a floor to ceiling closet that has fake (decorative) drawers on the bottom? Good place to hide a safe, too.
November 26, 2012 at 6:47pm     
Darzy
How about a custom chaise lounge?
November 26, 2012 at 6:51pm     
fairviewbonnie
I do not understand what this slant is doing? Can it not be removed?
November 26, 2012 at 6:54pm   
fairviewbonnie
Okay, I think I get it now. Could you build a closet to cover that entire wall, window and slant?
November 26, 2012 at 7:04pm     
andyseibt
dresser built in will cover it nicely
November 26, 2012 at 7:05pm   
S. Thomas Kutch
Wow..... someone took the easy way out with the addition instead of doing it right.....personally, I like the entertainment suggestion to cover it up.........short of resolving the issue by tearing it out and do it right with the proper new support beams for the joist.. I would suggest you get a good contractor and structural engineer if you opt to do it right.
November 27, 2012 at 10:23am   
lmac_1
we dont want a tv in the bedroom and right outside the hallway is a walkin closet. I was thinking of a built in hamper or something to hold shoes? we'd like to keep as much open as possible so building something floor to ceiling would crowd the room even more. Love the custom chaise idea, just dont even know where to start for that!

Thanks everyone :)
November 27, 2012 at 10:28am   
andyseibt
i don't think u can remove it because it's part of the roof joist
November 27, 2012 at 11:40am   
charleee
What if you put a 2x4 at the top of it, secured a table top with 2 front legs to it, skirted the table and made it a make-up area? Sort of a dressing table?
November 27, 2012 at 11:55am     
apple_pie_order
What's behind the window next to the slanty thing? If it is part of the walk in closet, how about enclosing the slanty thing as part of the walk in closet instead of the bedroom?
November 27, 2012 at 12:04pm   
PRO
Custom Home Planning Center
Given the window consider making the space a planter or aquarium.
November 27, 2012 at 12:08pm   
lmac_1
I thought about that, I actually just ordered a mirrored vanity table- that i could return of course, but Id need a mirror and hanging one on the wall would be an awkward 3 feet away. even if I could somehow sit. But I think I have to put a 2x4 up and square it off somehow. this bedroom needs help
November 27, 2012 at 12:08pm   
lmac_1
the window is the hallway to our room, on the other side of the hallway is the walk in closet. Our master is the entire floor- very strange layout i know. walk up the steps through the hallway to the left is our bedroom to the right is the closet
November 27, 2012 at 12:11pm   
charleee
This is what I was trying to say in my own little awkward way with words (oh, just put a skirt on it with velcro): [houzz=
]
November 27, 2012 at 12:12pm     
lmac_1
I love the idea of an aquarium/ fishtank! i was hoping to utilize this space because we want to fit seating of some sort, the vanity and a hamper as there is no room in the closet for these things. Amazing ideas thanks :)
November 27, 2012 at 12:25pm   
mpoulsom
Ok, here's a thought....make it into a combination nightstand/make-up table or desk area. Move the head of your bed on the wall where the top of the slant starts. So when you are facing the bed, the slant will be to the left it it. You can put a lamp on it beside your bed, alarm clock, etc. and on the left side and front area use it for a vanity area....put a chair in front of it and you will have a place to put your feet up on the slant! ...mount a mirror on that wall if you like!
November 27, 2012 at 1:10pm   
More Discussions
bedroom furniture
I have this dresser and I'll like two nigh stands to...
need advice about front door colour and shutters
We want a different a stronger front door color; there...
Kitchen sinks
We are remodeling our kitchen. We have put in all new...
livingrm deign
I need help selecting the right color coordinates to...
glossy or matte tiles
Using a porcelain creamy beige or blue grey slate large...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.