Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
How would you design these rooms?
hollyf9986
November 26, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Hi everyone!

I'd love some opinions here...we like accent walls, and we like dark paint colors. We are thinking grey with accents of purple in the throw pillows/area rug, etc...thoughts? We want our apartment to look beautiful, and more professional than just some accent walls and furniture, you know? How can we make it look "WOW"???

Thanks so much in advance :-)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Aggie Purvinska
Gray would be great, it is a trending color and so is purple and I think both would work with your existing space.

If it is in the budget I would definitely look into upgrading window treatments and the carpeting. Is laminate flooring or engineered wood floor in the budget? Would painting the cupboards a darker gray be in the budget?

Painting Walls Revere Pewter would look amazing, purchasing some quality furniture, rugs, curtains, new shades, stools, and accessories.

Here are some selections that I think work well...

[houzz=Revere Pewter, Benjamin Moore]

[houzz=Benjamin Moore Rockport Gray]

[houzz=Montaigne Collection Charleroi Wood Floors]

[houzz=Blur Purple Fabric Rug]

[houzz=K:4 Leather Swivel Stool by KOI]

[houzz=Kaspar Slate Gray Fabric Modern Sectional Sofa]

[houzz=Smart Round Marble Top Coffee Table]

[houzz=Tolomeo Mega Black Floor Lamp]

[houzz=Black & Cream Hand Weaved Cotton Curtains & Drapes]

[houzz=Nolan Purple 20" Pillow]

[houzz=Hudson Media Console, White Finish]

[houzz=Vinnie White Cradle Chair]
0 Likes   November 26, 2012 at 8:18PM
PRO
the essentials inside
Hi hollyf9986.

Aggie Designs - great advice as usual.

hollyf9986, I have a few questions, if you don't mind:

-Do you have any furniture or accessories now that you want to incorporate or are you starting from scratch?

-What are the dimensions of your living room area and your dining area by the window?

-Are you able to change out the light fixtures?

-Can you take one more picture from alcove in the living area, looking straight out past the kitchen. Almost like picture #2 but so you can see more to the right. I want to see how much space you have there.

Hope you don't mind my answering your question w/questions. :)

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
0 Likes   November 26, 2012 at 8:42PM
PRO
Faith Baker, Smith & Noble Regional Sales Manager
New window treatments is a must. There is nothing that screams outdated as vinyl verticals. You do have some challenges with your windows because of the soffit in the kitchen & corner windows in the living room and dining room. And then there is that door . .

Color is your first decision with redecorating as is if you plan on using any of your existing furniture.

Windows are my speciality and I will be happy to help you if you can give me some ideas on your needs and style. do you like clean lines? are you more of a blind/shade person vs drapery? what are your privacy needs?
0 Likes   November 27, 2012 at 11:01AM
hollyf9986
First of all, thanks so much for all the great advice! You are all so wonderful.

Ok to answer some questions:

We can't change the floors or the cabinets...just walls and we could possibly do a backsplash in the kitchen (the easy to apply/remove ones).

We do already have some key furniture, and we really do have to use what we have for budget reasons. The living room couch is considered "olive" colored...I've attached a photo of the color. Sorry, it's kind of hard to tell, I know. I am not sure if that color will work with gray, but I thought maybe with the right pillows/throw we could make it all work. The coffee table/end tables that we have are a really pretty dark wood. I love and prefer dark wood, but it hopefully won't be a problem with the lighter kitchen cabinets! Other than that, we don't really have any other furniture or curtains, or anything, so we are starting from scratch for the most part!

I'm not sure of dimensions...I've attached a photo of the floor plan in case that helps at all (the only difference is that that door leads out to a small balcony, and in the kitchen, it's just windows) :-) I'm not sure about changing the light fixtures...I hope we can, but it isn't definite.

Faith - I definitely agree about the window treatments! I love ceiling to floor curtains, but more on the modern side. Privacy isn't a huge deal, but we were hoping to have a way, perhaps, to keep some light out when needed, to save on air con costs. The door will be leading out to a balcony, not sure if that affects anything!

I can't take any photos, because the apartment is in Vegas, and we are currently in Baltimore, so the leasing agent took and sent those...so that's pretty much all we have to work with at the moment! I'd just like to have a plan before we get out there so that it won't take too long to get settled.

Which walls do you all think would be best as accent walls?

Thanks so much again, everyone. I just can't get over how kind and helpful people on here are willing to be. It is much appreciated :-D
1 Like   November 27, 2012 at 2:23PM
More Discussions
Kitchen Advice? Cosmetic updates to make dated kitchen more modern?
The house is 1931 Spanish Revival but we are looking...
Help select a glam wallpaper and paint
Here's our working in progress dining room. I need...
flooring ideas
home foundation is pier and beam. what are my flooring...
Need suggestions for a living room layout.
We recently bought an old house in a historic neighborhood...
What size ceiling medallion?
I bought a 20'' diameter ceiling light (Dauphine large...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.