powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with choosing a paint color for my front door.
Lisa Ghettis
November 27, 2012 in Design Dilemma
This is my house. The door is painted red but I think its the wrong color of red. The brick is red, orange red, black, and a little gray in color. What color should I paint the door?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Lisa Ghettis
The roof has been replaced with a 3D designed shingle that is blue/gray-slate color and that UGLY satellite dish has been removed!
2 Likes   November 27, 2012 at 12:46AM
charleee
The red isn't right because it blends too much with the brick and gets lost. I think yellow would be fabulous, with white trim like your windows. Nice house!
1 Like   November 27, 2012 at 3:00AM
Lisa Ghettis
Thanks. I thought the same thing. I have to find a warm yellow though. Would you agree. The security door is trimmed in black. I don't want to paint it.
0 Likes   November 27, 2012 at 3:24AM
charleee
If you don't want to paint the black trim around the door then I'm not sure yellow would be right, it could look to much like a bumble bee. In that case I would go with a gray door that will blend better. Navy blue might also work with the black trim and red brick.
0 Likes   November 27, 2012 at 3:31AM
Nancy Hehmann
Burnt orange is a color that is being used more and more for doors! Personally, I would drive through other neighborhoods and look at the paint combinations you see. That is what I did when I chose to change the paint on my house. I just looked until I found something that really "wowed" me. Then you will see the color on a structure prior to buying the paint.

If you are thinking of adding plants to the front of your house, I would go to a local nursery for advice because they can tell you what will thrive in your area, whether the plant has flower or needs to be trimmed and how far to plant apart and the distance you need to plant from the house. It may be too late in the fall to plant (they can tell you that as well) But, you could be ready to plant in spring.
1 Like   November 27, 2012 at 3:42AM
elklaker
I have done a grey/green on a home that had the same brick. It sold in two weeks over asking price.(And three years later, the homeowner says he always gets compliments on it).
2 Likes   November 27, 2012 at 4:01AM
Lisa Ghettis
Thanks everyone. Great suggestions. This picture Is a little dated. I did plant some bushes and flowers but I'll probably go to a nursery in the spring and start over. Thanks again.
3 Likes   November 27, 2012 at 8:32AM
mmilos
Yes, gray/green looks fantastic with the used brick. Since you put on a blue/gray-slate roof color, I might pull that down and use a blue/gray on the door. Go for a nice full gloss paint to make it look rich. Cute house.
2 Likes   November 27, 2012 at 8:53AM
Shahina
Just go for White ! Put antique colour lock, handle etc. Enjoy the striking look !
1 Like   November 27, 2012 at 9:19AM
victorianbungalowranch
I rather like Aqua on a mid-century house, although a blue grey, either light or more blue than the roof could be nice too.
1 Like   November 27, 2012 at 9:19AM
Lisa Ghettis
I am going to post a more recent picture of the house soon.
0 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 2:58AM
PRO
Distinctive Home Interiors
I agree white would look great if the trim is still white that way the trim and door would give you a wow factor and the black door always looks great with white,would love to see what you have done with the landscaping.
0 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 3:09AM
janishill
Lisa, updated photos would be great!

This color might work: http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/largoteal

or this one: http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/juniper

Or even this one: http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/tropicalturquoise

Some other things I noticed:

1) the cable running under the eve needs to be painted white to make it visually 'disapper'.

2) the garden hose reel needs to be lower and perhaps put under the window so it doesn't catch the eye as you approach the door.

3) the light fixture should either be spray painted or updated.

Please post updates when you have painted.
0 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 5:16AM
PRO
Gabberts Design Studio
Charcoal Grey or Black would be a nice accent
2 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 5:19AM
Lisa Ghettis
I took these pictures this morning. I roof color is lighter than I thought. Janishill, I agree with 1 and 2, but the light fixture is brand new? Its a little small and black. What color are you suggesting I paint it?
0 Likes   November 30, 2012 at 9:23AM
Lisa Ghettis
I plan on replacing the landscaping in the spring.
0 Likes   November 30, 2012 at 9:24AM
Lisa Ghettis
I like the suggestion of Charcoal grey and black.
1 Like   November 30, 2012 at 9:29AM
nomadkath
I wonder how it would look if you painted the window trim grey...and left the rest. or painted the shutters and door a darker shade of blue/grey with the lighter gray on the frames. it might be nice with the brick, and then be artistic with your landscaping.....let nature have the starring role....it is a sweet little home.
0 Likes   November 30, 2012 at 10:03AM
mmilos
I'd go full gloss black on front door. I would also remove the shutters on your front windows since you don't have them on your larger front window to be consistent.
1 Like   November 30, 2012 at 11:32AM
janishill
Hi Lisa...my apologies. I couldn't see the light fixture clearly in the first pictures. I thought it was antique gold! I can see it much better in these pictures and it looks great! :-)

Painting your window casings grey as someone suggested would look awesome.
1 Like   November 30, 2012 at 1:06PM
Shelley E.
I would stick with either white or Black for the front door. I dont like the grey idea at all. Sorry. if you choose any other color than white or black I would choose a green not yellow. like an olive or a little darker. Red is the opposite of green on the color wheel and the two complement each other very nicely! But if your going to do your trim the same as your door.
1 Like   November 30, 2012 at 2:48PM
anitajoyce
I agree with Shelley E. I too, would paint the door in white or black.
0 Likes   November 30, 2012 at 3:03PM
Lisa Ghettis
Well, the door was white before I painted it red. Painting it black is a good idea but I also like the grey or grey/green idea. So many suggestions. Ahhh, so confused! :>)
0 Likes   November 30, 2012 at 4:35PM
caches
Do the Door white...Just like the trim around the windows...Also paint the porch railing white...Our House looks the same, and I love it.
0 Likes   November 30, 2012 at 4:58PM
janishill
Lisa...have you ridden around your neighborhood and looked at doors? If you haven't, try it. You will be able to see what works and what doesn't.

The grey would look nice, but it needs more than just the door being painted grey. Maybe the window casings. If you could add a brick border (same brick as that of the house) to the walkway it would add even more curb appeal.

I saw a house today (wish I could have taken a pix) where the trim was done in the same color as the morter between the brick. The shade was a lot deeper, but the color was the same. It looked good.

Traditional Exterior design by Seattle Architect knowles ps

Anyway, hope to see updates.
0 Likes   November 30, 2012 at 5:10PM
Lisa Ghettis
Caches, I just don't want a white door. That ugly railing is comming down too. Sorry.
1 Like   November 30, 2012 at 5:18PM
Lisa Ghettis
Janis, I look at houses and landscaping all the time. I need to take pictures though. I plan to pour concrete and make a patio at the front door in the spring and a brick sidewalk to the driveway would look nice.
1 Like   November 30, 2012 at 5:25PM
janishill
Edge that patio in brick to tie it all together. :-)

Take pictures, google and look through magazines. Make a portfolio of all the doors/entrances you like. You will soon see what you like, then it is just a matter of time and money to make yours look like theirs!
1 Like   November 30, 2012 at 6:04PM
Shahina
Choice is definitely yours , but I still recommend White door if you do not want to change the window colour. Any other colour would make your house a children painting box ! So many colours .
1 Like   November 30, 2012 at 7:53PM
Shahina
Choice is definitely yours , but I still recommend White door if you do not want to change the window colour. Any other colour would make your house a children painting box ! So many colours .
0 Likes   November 30, 2012 at 7:54PM
PRO
Harvest House Craftsmen
Hi! its harder when its your own space when picking and choosing, yes? How about charcoal shutters perhaps, with front door a warm blue that'll pick up the roof. Something like C2's Halifax, with 3 blue spruce evergreens and some Blue Fescue in the garden, and you'd have a nice start. Or you could stick with Black or White. Why be conservative though, when you can step outside the box and do something that'll have your neighbors rushing to the paint store to do something fun like you?! If the blue scares you then paint the shutters charcoal, or a warm brown that has a green base and paint the door an orange, like Ben Moores Prairie Lily. Subtle, but still wow. If you like I have a few pics that may help....nicole@harvesthouse.ca. If not, all the best, and it's only paint.........keep smiling
3 Likes   November 30, 2012 at 9:24PM
PRO
Harvest House Craftsmen
Hi again, this is the brown with a warm green base I was referring to when suggesting a shutter colour with burnt orange door.....
3 Likes   November 30, 2012 at 9:27PM
Lisa Ghettis
Harvest, I like your suggestions. Janishill, I have lots of pictures I've downloaded of homes I adore so I will start there and create my idea's book. Thx
1 Like   November 30, 2012 at 9:37PM
Shelley E.
hey Lisa, this color above with a brown and a green base in it is awesome. I am actually going to try to figure out what this color is for my house next spring. i see colors i like but then not a cle on the name of it or its code. very classy look! you will be envy of the neighborhood!
1 Like   December 3, 2012 at 8:09AM
Shelley E.
hey Lisa, this color above with a brown and a green base in it is awesome. I am actually going to try to figure out what this color is for my house next spring. i see colors i like but then not a cle on the name of it or its code. very classy look! you will be envy of the neighborhood! Let us know and pics please!
1 Like   December 3, 2012 at 8:09AM
Lisa Ghettis
Everyone, you gave such good advise for my delema. I hope to implement most of your ideas in the spring of 2013. I will update with pictures. Thank you all so much.
0 Likes   December 3, 2012 at 11:54PM
Lisa Ghettis
Hey, what about a different shade of red?
0 Likes   December 5, 2012 at 8:03PM
champy00
Go to Sherwin Williams website..you can upload a pick of your house and outline the door and change it to any color you want to see what it looks like...go to color visualizer,I used it to paint my stair railing.I wanted to do it 2 toned and couldn't decide which way I wanted it...seeing it both ways on the visualizer helped me make up my mind..it is really fun to play around with it and it is pretty easy to figure out..
1 Like   December 5, 2012 at 8:50PM
champy00
Go to Sherwin Williams website..you can upload a pick of your house and outline the door and change it to any color you want to see what it looks like...go to color visualizer,I used it to paint my stair railing.I wanted to do it 2 toned and couldn't decide which way I wanted it...seeing it both ways on the visualizer helped me make up my mind..it is really fun to play around with it and it is pretty easy to figure out..
0 Likes   December 5, 2012 at 8:50PM
PRO
Tres McKinney Design
I agree with Harvest House. a mid range greenish brown would look great on the trim, eaves and siding. I would remove the shutters. The windows are too wide for shutters to look authentic. Then paint the door a darker shade of the same color or a black green (door only) paint the door frame the same as the trim.
if you favor blue then a dark smokey blue gray would also work for the trim, eaves instead of the greenish brown. Plant evergreen schrubs as a foundation under the windows for year around beauty and place a pair of LARGE scaled pots on each side of the door with either flowering schrubs or seasonal flowers. This will make the front door an enviting focal point.
Paint the metal supports near the front door the same dark color.
2 Likes   December 5, 2012 at 9:22PM
olldroo
Well done champy, I was going to suggest the same thing. Lisa, it will help a lot, especially when you have so many great suggestions here.
1 Like   December 5, 2012 at 9:50PM
Lisa Ghettis
Thank you Champy00, Tres Mckinney, and olldroo. I'm going to try the visualizer and try out the MANY colors that have been suggested thus far.
0 Likes   December 5, 2012 at 10:34PM
Lisa Ghettis
Well, I went to Sherwin Williams and it was a bit tricky. I tried two colors but the picture I used wasn't taken at a good angle. I'll try again later.
0 Likes   December 5, 2012 at 11:44PM
victorianbungalowranch
Crestview has a door visualizer that might work well for your home.
0 Likes   December 6, 2012 at 12:35AM
Lisa Ghettis
Crestview? I don't know what that is?
0 Likes   December 6, 2012 at 1:06AM
PRO
Everything Outdoor Furniture
Since, the colors on the outside of your home are on display for all to see, and you probably have some sense that your home should fit into the neighborhood. So I would suggest you start by walking your area and paying close attention to the colors you see on other homes.
1 Like   December 6, 2012 at 1:16AM
Lisa Ghettis
@Everyting Outdoor... I've done that and most of the houses look the same. The are all small ranch-style homes (900 sq ft). The homes on my street all have white doors and shutters. Only a few homeowners have good curb appeal. Those that have good curb appeal, I've taken notice.
2 Likes   December 6, 2012 at 2:12AM
olldroo
I don't think the colour of your front door is the criteria for fitting into your neighbourhood. Would you not have a nice garden just because no one else had a garden at all? Of course kerb appeal is important Lisa, go for it, maybe you will inspire your neighbours to update their homes too and a street of smart homes can only increase the desirability of your neighbourhood.
1 Like   December 6, 2012 at 2:44AM
PRO
Harvest House Craftsmen
Fitting in is nice, but making changes, if you pick the right colors can really make a difference.
I noticed after I finished my house, people started to tidy their homes up and even saw new front door colours. People weren't very brave however with their colours and some should consider hiring a professional Interior/exterior designer to give a hand. This is my house before....
0 Likes   December 6, 2012 at 5:14AM
PRO
Harvest House Craftsmen
House after Reno....with a blue front door
0 Likes   December 6, 2012 at 5:17AM
PRO
Harvest House Craftsmen
Gardens make a huge impact. I designed mine to compliment the house.
This is before.....
1 Like   December 6, 2012 at 5:18AM
PRO
Harvest House Craftsmen
And this is the after. Blues and crisp acid greens pick up on my door colours. Bottom line, pick what makes you happy colour wise for the front door and get help to tweek it if need be. Purple is a yummy colour, but a purple for the front door(this is JUST an example) should be picked with care. Enjoy the journey!
1 Like   December 6, 2012 at 5:24AM
olldroo
Harvest House - can you try uploading your photos again, they look lovely, but sadly too small to see clearly.
1 Like   December 6, 2012 at 2:31PM
anitajoyce
Black or white is the way to go!
0 Likes   December 6, 2012 at 3:27PM
Shelley E.
Harvest House Im with you, I so want to see your before and after pics, bigger. Im putting a new front door in this Sat. its a dark espresso color. I have a ranch and think we may do the color you are suggesting in above pics, or even darker espresso than the milk chocolate we have now. just finished a light grey brown roof. I still love the color of the front door deep brown green base for her house. even the edition on the back of the house.
0 Likes   December 6, 2012 at 3:59PM
Shelley E.
Harvest House Im with you, I so want to see your before and after pics, bigger. Im putting a new front door in this Sat. its a dark espresso color. I have a ranch and think we may do the color you are suggesting in above pics, or even darker espresso than the milk chocolate we have now. just finished a light grey brown roof. I still love the color of the front door deep brown green base for her house. even the edition on the back of the house.
Shelley E.
extrahorizons
I agree with the posters who suggest removing the shutters and painting the door a fun color. Or, if you like the shutters, you can repaint the shutters and the door. If you prime first, you can probably accomplish the shutters with a quart of paint, and the door with another quart. If you don't like it- paint it again! You can buy a Sherwin Williams quart for around 5 or 6.00.

I think black and white doors are really boring- but this is just my opinion :) It's only a door- make it pop.
2 Likes   December 6, 2012 at 4:00PM
Lisa Ghettis
Thx everyone. Harvest, I'd like see the pics bigger too.
1 Like   December 6, 2012 at 6:51PM