Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Master Bath
Prince Todd
November 27, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Ordered new oil bronzed fixtures. Now what else can I do that is inexpensive to update? Italian style house. I am useless at decorating (obviously) so please help me!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
mmilos
You bought oil rubbed bronze fixtures for your sinks to match your tub/shower? That's good.
I'm not a fan of your current light sconces. Something in an oil rubbed bronze and less ornate would help with the update. If you were ambitious, painting out the cabinetry and wood trim a creamy white with a light gray on the walls would give a more contemporary/spa-like feel.
November 27, 2012 at 1:19pm   
Prince Todd
Yes the finish had rubbed off so replacing with the same. Like the idea of new sconces. For painting, would you do the sink cabinets as well? Thanks!
November 27, 2012 at 1:23pm   
mmilos
Yes, if you decide to paint the cabinets, I would paint them all to be consistent.
November 27, 2012 at 1:25pm   
Prince Todd
Like the idea. Can wire rubbed knotty pine be painted over?
November 27, 2012 at 1:30pm   
PRO
Seb's Home Decor Center
My honest opinion, i find it really nice already.
November 27, 2012 at 1:30pm     
mmilos
Sure, it'll have a distressed character. It'll be a big job to tackle yourself and a pro painter will give you more quality results...they can spray the cabinets. But, if you want to save money, sand down the cabinets and then prime with some Kilz primer (two coats to hide the knots)...you could also wood putty fill some of the distressed knots to make the finish smoother. Going with an antique white instead of a bright white since it will make it look more intentional that they are distressed wood cabinets. You could also do an antique gel glazing on the white cabinets.

I would also paint out the trim around your mirrors, baseboard and window moulding the white color. Then go for a neutral light gray on the walls. It will help modernize your bathroom.

I would only keep the pine wood if this was a rustic mountain home.
November 27, 2012 at 1:38pm   
bdennison
try www.rustoleumtransformations.com. The product is great and they have many colors. You can see a lot of before & afters on this site to give you some ideas. I did my kitchen in a weekend by myself. About $80 for the kit plus your time. I really think white/offwhite would look great.
November 27, 2012 at 1:52pm   
PRO
Oasis Architecture
Always keep your metal finishes consistent in a space. It looks more organized, more integrated. Oil rubbed bronze was a good call for the wood tones you selected.
November 27, 2012 at 2:09pm     
PRO
dat architecture
I think your bathroom it's great as it is. The only problem I see is the integration of that huge cabinet with the rest of the space. i don't know if you can move it or make some kind of built in for it.
November 27, 2012 at 2:21pm     
Prince Todd
Thinking I will remove cabinet. Unsure about painting cabinets as this may be more than I bargained for. Should I do more contemporary lighting? What about decorating. Live in wine country so earth tones probably good. I also likd the suggestion of light gray. Maybe grayish/green color? Thanks!!
November 27, 2012 at 4:27pm   
housemamma
Almost there, in my opinion. I would remove the large cabinet and change the mirrors to ones that have more character. Maybe something in wrought iron. The current mirrors seem a little "country" for the space. If the space is large enough, maybe you could use an indoor/outdoor rug and remove the small throw rugs.
November 27, 2012 at 4:51pm   
kpollard
Love the room. You said - inexpensive updates. Just start with changing the light fixtures and painting the walls. Add a window treatment to give it color on that side of the room and add similar/contrasting colors for the floor mats and towels. Would love to see pictures after you make some changes.
November 27, 2012 at 4:51pm   
housemamma
Also, if you remove the cabinet you can replace it with a great painting or photo which would add color and character. Maybe put a bench underneath or small table to hold some candles, towels, baskets, etc.
November 27, 2012 at 4:53pm   
Prince Todd
Thank you for the decorating advice. Much needed! I like the ideas... I will get to work and post after photos. What a great site this is!
November 27, 2012 at 5:42pm   
nevadan
Hey - the least expensive thing and often the best - leave it alone.
November 27, 2012 at 5:49pm