Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Kitchen lover with limits
sanchezplaza
November 27, 2012 in Design Dilemma
This kitchen is not loving me back. I like the sink but want an entire new fresh look. This is a 2/2 condo where the kitchen splits a bed and bath , dining, and living space. Storage is limited but cooking is important. How can I make this space work? I would like to consider seating of some sort off the counter, maybe even hiding the sink.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
charleee
Is the overhang deep enough to add a bar stool on either side of the sink? What about a great new faucet? [houzz=
]
November 27, 2012 at 2:29PM     
okmrazor
It's pretty easy to achieve both the seating and raising the overhang.

Hire a carpenter to remove the counter and add a 2x4 framed wall up to 6 inches over case height. I'd consider pushing the wall off the existing casework by a few inches to ensure you can put whatever faucet and sink in without having issues with turning the faucet on or off (this comes into play if the lever operates toward and away from you.

He (or a local cabinetmaker) can make or even order (there are a bunch of door companies) a side panel that will both cover the gap and "finish" the end. Drop it all the way to the floor - no toe kick necessary there, and it looks better. Those panels on the back of the island can be removed and replaced if they're not your cup of tea.

That handle placement on the uppers is unfortunate. If you lower them appropriately, there will be exposed holes where the first were bored.

Are the two upper doors open a bit? If not, someone needs to adjust them properly - it looks like a 1" gap where they meet.

Then tile the backsplash area and you'll have a fairly sleek kitchen for a reasonable price.
November 27, 2012 at 3:45PM     
sanchezplaza
@olldbob I like the suggestion and there is no option for seating at this time but I very much need it because of my little space. Thx for ur input
November 28, 2012 at 12:08PM     
sanchezplaza
@okmrazor thank u so much. I've been a ill discouraged that I wanted an entire new look and remodeling as a full package.. You have brought back inspiration. This is my first project so I'm going to learn. Thanks for ur time to reply and help.
November 28, 2012 at 12:12PM   
PRO
Stoneshop
To add seating and hide the sink a little bit, consider adding a raised counter. If you are changing your countertops, you can have all of the counters match; or you can add this piece in a decorative, complementary accent stone.

This piece can be installed in a few different ways--by building up your cabinetry or by using brackets/rods.
The third photo is one of my favorites on Houzz.

[houzz=Kitchen Island]
[houzz=Cole Valley Hillside]
[houzz=Culinary Artistry]
[houzz=Art House]
November 28, 2012 at 12:53PM     
Taylor Carl
Are you painting the cabinets that dark color? Do you want to keep the existing cabinetry?
November 28, 2012 at 2:03PM