Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Bedroom decorating and colour advice
lauraeva
November 27, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I hate the green walls! I was thinking I would like to put floor length curtains in the bump-out to make the window look bigger. The dark green wall has raised wall panels on it, so I'm not sure if I should worry about choosing curtains that "go" with it because they will be too much work to remove. I was thinking about a light navy colour for the green wall and a light beige for the light green walls. Should I paint the inside of the bump-out dark or light? Any suggestions on lamps, paint, bedding, curtains, dresser accessories (those are some holiday decorations), would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tennisanyone
Paint the entire room the same color. I would go for something is the blue/gray family if you are keeping the comforter so it feels more like a retreat. Too many painted walls is unsettling in a bedroom. A headboard is needed and a bench at the foot of the bed. Another picture would be helpful.
1 Like   November 27, 2012 at 2:12PM
charleee
You hate those green walls? Really? Me too !!! I'm not a green lover to begin with but those are narsty.

Your comforter looks to be a little short. Instead of bringing it all the way up to the head of the bed, bring it down to cover the mattress and then fold back the top. Look into a tailored bedskirt.

Paint the walls the same color as your comforter but reduced 50%. Paint the alcove the exact color of your comforter. Keep your trim white. And I wouldn't worry about curtains, it looks nice the way it is !!!
0 Likes   November 27, 2012 at 2:17PM
lauraeva
I am looking for a new duvet. I'm getting rather tired of that one. The bathroom right next to our room is a bluish grey, more blue than grey, so I want to choose a colour that complements it. I think the colours in the duvet don't complement the bathroom colour terribly well, I just chose that duvet because it was one of the few that looked OK with those terrible green walls.
0 Likes   November 27, 2012 at 2:28PM
charleee
Well, that's ok, my paint color advice would stand for any color duvet you pick. Just skip the part about realigning the comforter !!!
0 Likes   November 27, 2012 at 2:31PM
lauraeva
Here are some other pics of the bedroom, the bathroom beside it, and the living room colour scheme
0 Likes   November 27, 2012 at 2:53PM
charleee
You've done a great job with your fireplace and mantle. I suggest following the dark chocolate brown scheme into your bedroom. A dark chocolate brown comforter with a white bedskirt. Dark chocolate brown in the alcove, keep the trim white. Larger lamps for your bedside tables and a padded headboard.
1 Like   November 27, 2012 at 2:57PM
janishill
Why not put a bench in the alcove to creat a reading nook? You can hang the curtains high on the outside. See attached illustration.

A soft blue grey like this would look beautiful: http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/feathergray

As would this: http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/gentlegray

Or even this: http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/mountainmist
1 Like   November 27, 2012 at 3:08PM
collettec
I would go for a lighter blue gray in the bedroom to coordinate with the bathroom. For the alcove, you could paint it a darker shade of a blue gray and change to light color wood blinds. Perhaps a white comforter or a light brown. White headboard and bench at base of bed.
1 Like   November 27, 2012 at 3:12PM
lauraeva
For some reason these didn't get attached. The mantle looks more red in person than it does in the pictures. I am now thinking floor length curtains to cover these ugly green wall tiles and a sheer floor length curtain on the inside of the bump-out to make the window look bigger? too much??
0 Likes   November 27, 2012 at 3:12PM
collettec
Didn't realize that the green color was wall tiles. Is it just in the alcove or on the entire wall? What are they made of? Do you think you could paint over them or remove them or do you feel you need to work with the tiles?
0 Likes   November 27, 2012 at 3:24PM
janishill
Drat! I forgot to attache the illustration. Sorry.

You should be able to paint the tiles.
2 Likes   November 27, 2012 at 3:34PM
lauraeva
They are just on the outside of the dark green wall and not in the alcove. Judging from the other handy work of the previous home owners, this is definitely not something I want to try and tackle. What do you think about curtains like these to cover them?
0 Likes   November 27, 2012 at 3:35PM
collettec
I would paint the other walls other than the green paneled wall a light beige. I would paint the inset if it is not panels the same beige color as the other walls. I would go with light wood blinds for the windows. I think a dark navy would work well with this, perhaps in a comforter as well as decorative accents.
0 Likes   November 27, 2012 at 3:35PM
collettec
Saw your attached info after added above comment. Can't see the entire length of the green paneled wall, but if they are equal to either side of the alcove, you could hang drapes to either side, from edge of alcove to the end of the walls, add a valance for the portion above the alcove and then work with whatever colors you'd like.
0 Likes   November 27, 2012 at 3:42PM
movethisnotthat
is the alcove big enough for the bed, choice a rug or comforter before you pick a paint color you'll be happier with the finished project. Using colors the same as in the rest of the house will help create a finished look for you.Nice crisp white sheets & bedding will look nice with the white trim
0 Likes   November 27, 2012 at 3:47PM
tennisanyone
I would paint the entire room the same as your bathroom. I like it and very soothing in a bedroom. Then I would paint the night tables white or leave them dark (wait and see) I would find a great mirror to put over your dresser and add a lamp. Center the bed on the wall. Move the dresser across from your bed and use the alcove as a reading area with a chair, small table and lamp maybe even two chairs. Find or use the same comforter in those colors and then get a headboard. I love that color in a bedroom.
0 Likes   November 27, 2012 at 3:52PM
lauraeva
The bed is big enough for the alcove, but I don't think it looks as nice there. I will make a nice white headboard and get a nice bed skirt. I like the idea of the light blue walls. Lighting is an issue in there, so I think a lighter blue would actually be the best option. I think I will try out some curtains with a valance. Thanks for all of the wonderful suggestions! I have many great ideas now! I think a pretty round mirror above the bed would look nice. I also love those mirrored bedside tables with the gold trim, but they are so expensive! I like that they allow you to use gold or silver in the room.
0 Likes   November 27, 2012 at 5:05PM
victorianbungalowranch
I'm pretty sure the "tiles" are actually textured wallpaper that has been painted. It can actually look nice if painted and glazed, if you like that sort of thing.

I like the idea of the nook as a reading area.
0 Likes   November 27, 2012 at 5:15PM