powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
How to arrange furniture around fireplace and corner TV?
Adam Craig
November 27, 2012 in Design Dilemma
How to arrange furniture around fireplace and corner TV?

I hate having this set up but mounting the TV above the fireplace was too high.

So you can see, I have a big area rug, couch, 2 accent chairs, coffee table, and a small end table is on order.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lefty47
HI -- Don;t angle things (TV) into corners, it just never looks right. I would not hang the TV over the fireplace . Get an articulating bracket arm for the TV and mount it on the wall to the right of the where the TV is now and then have a nice long console cabinet under and then arrange some art and pictures around .Now you won't need that TV stand. Search Houzz for TV display walls for ideas. Then rework your furniture for better flow . Maybe try the sofa backed to the window and the two chairs side by side where the sofa is now . Then you might have room for another lounge chair where the TV is now and this you can angle . Make sure the front legs of the furniture are on the rug. The way you have things arranged now looks a little hap-hazard. Also heat paint the brass that is on the fire screen . Put a nice big round mirror above the mantel . Just have the drapes hang without the tie backs.Hang four same size square paintings or framed prints,- two on each side of the fireplace vertically.
November 27, 2012 at 3:16PM     
decoenthusiaste
Put the TV flat on the wall where the outlet is. Sofa opposite if with coffee table 18" away from sofa. Two chairs angled facing the FP. You could use a more interesting and dramatic rig. This is a good size one though. Art over the mantel - a mirror will not reflect anything beautiful or interesting.
November 27, 2012 at 3:25PM     
PRO
TSG Designs, LTD
Move the sofa along the fireplace on the window side, get a larger square coffee table, place 2 chairs opposite the sofa with end table between them and please, repaint..that green is not working with the warm tones of the furniture
November 27, 2012 at 3:31PM     
movethisnotthat
lefty47 has good ideas, try them to see how the room comes together, if you have room create a little space between the window and couch. TV on the wall to the right of where it is for sure. Coffee table front,close and center of the couch, those 2 chairs side by side facing the fireplace.move the plant closer to the fireplace, remove the curtain tie backs for a more updated look and if possible add fabric to the bottoms to allow curtains to touch the floor or replace them,longer higher rod will also update the look. Don't forget to post pictures of your finished room, Are you keeping the color on the walls or planning to repaint?
November 27, 2012 at 3:35PM     
Adam Craig
The furniture is arranged spaced out so you can get a feel for the size of things. This is not how I had it arranged. The brass fireplace is being replaced with black doors, not painted ( the current doors are shot).

What color furniture do I need to go with the green?
November 27, 2012 at 3:36PM     
PRO
Reflections of You by K. Lauren
If you get professional audio/visual people to come in, they can mount your tv on the wall opposite the window, in addition to having your other electronics under them (while hiding all cords etc. You should then place your sofa in front of the window (untie the drapes or add sheers or blinds for more privacy and to avoid the glare on the tv), facing the tv, and the chair opposite the sofa (on the other side of the rug). They should be slightly angled so that if there is conversation/people on the sofa, those sitting in the chairs can be included, but also so they can see the tv. in my opinion, creating a conversational room should be the goal, and tv a secondary goal, so try not the make the tv the focal point of the room, meanwhile angling all seating so that tv can be seen...if necessary. Oh and of course the coffee table goes in the middle.
November 27, 2012 at 3:37PM   
bethanyd
What lefty said!!! Paint those walls taupe/gray, that green is upsetting, sorry.. And get new pillows for the sofa. A rust red solid perhaps or even an off white with nice texture to compliment the brightness of the rug.
November 27, 2012 at 3:50PM     
PRO
Vintage Uniques
Adam, there are lots of comments on the face book houzz page you might want to take a look.
November 27, 2012 at 3:51PM   
Sandra DeLorme
I think the chairs in front of the window angled toward each other the couch opposite of the chairs he tv directly across from the fireplace (if thats a wall) an end table between the chairs and the coffee table in front of the couch. I didn't read the prior post so if this has already been suggested then whoever said it is Brilliant!!!! :)
November 27, 2012 at 3:54PM     
Sandra DeLorme
Never mind put the tv in the trash!! LOL
November 27, 2012 at 3:56PM   
Adam Craig
I agree - the green isint working well. Any specific color suggestions? I might make a new thread for color
November 27, 2012 at 4:00PM   
victorianbungalowranch
I think taupe/grey would be a bit boring for the whole room. Perhaps a rust/pumpkin or even purplish color drawn from the side chairs could work and would complement the fireplace as well as an accent color, or if you are bold, for the whole room, and perhaps some new drapes and pillows to go with. Then the rug will be OK. I think you need another panel to each side of your drapes and letting them go straight would look nice.
November 27, 2012 at 4:29PM     
shalago
and whatever you do, do not get a bracket arm for tv. NO!
November 27, 2012 at 4:43PM   
Crystal Petersen
I have a room almost like that> I'll show you a picture with my brick. I think it looks ok.
November 27, 2012 at 4:45PM     
Crystal Petersen
I would pull one of the light colors out of your chairs and paint the walls and do the red color on them as accent and the black table will work if you stay with black on the rest of your picture frames and stuff on the wall.
November 27, 2012 at 4:50PM   
Crystal Petersen
I would pull one of the light colors out of your chairs and paint the walls and do the red color on them as accent and the black table will work if you stay with black on the rest of your picture frames and stuff on the wall.
November 27, 2012 at 4:50PM   
Mia E
I'd place the sofa by the window with a parsons table behind - if you have the space. Turn the coffee table to mirror the sofa. I'd place the chairs across the fire place with a tiny but tallish (tea) table for them to share... I'd get a nice large chest of drawers (deep rich brown) and place the tv on top of that on the large wall away from the corner.
I'm not fond of the green walls, art or framed photos may make it better along with some colourful accents I think a deep eggplant purple colour maybe nice.
November 27, 2012 at 6:02PM     
Mark Hedges
Looks like the sofa placement is in the flow of the path coming in from the other room. I would put sofa at more of an angle from the back center to the start of the window. The two chairs and the one end table could be used at the right end of the window to the corner of the room. I would add a nice entertainment center on the center of the wall where the tv is now.I would paint the wall where the fireplace is a chocolate brown and the other walls a tan color. I would then add some larger pictures to each side of the fireplace. The pictures will stand out on the darker walls, The plant then could be used where the tv is now.
November 27, 2012 at 6:18PM     
lefty47
HI -- @shalago - Why are you saying not to get a bracket for the TV ?? Have you had a problem with one in the past . Please explain !
November 27, 2012 at 6:25PM   
shalago
I'm sorry, i.envisioned TV hanging from a bracket from ceiing. Its not that is it? does bracket mean TV hung flat on wall? Maybe I misunderstood. I would hang tv on wall.
November 27, 2012 at 8:32PM   
Elaine Hartley
Nothing is nicer than cosy seating around a fireplace but that heavy black coffee table seems to me to set up a barrier in front of the fire. A lighter glass one perhaps?
November 28, 2012 at 2:04AM   
Rhoda
Hi, in arranging furnitures go for accesibility concerns first. Like, is the space enough so you can move around comfortably? Can you reach for your stuff without difficulty? Second would be the overall appearance, is it pleasant to the eyes. You can use a wall bracket for your teevee. You can replace the 2 single seaters with a ottoman style chair, you can use those to rest your legs too. The rug should have some color too. Goodluck
November 28, 2012 at 2:27AM   
bdarrow
There is a chance you could take off the mantle piece and install your TV lower. Take a look at that.
If you must have a mantle that could be lower, too.
November 28, 2012 at 4:26AM   
bdarrow
There is a chance you could take off the mantle piece and install your TV lower. Take a look at that.
If you must have a mantle that could be lower, too.
November 28, 2012 at 4:26AM   
EvVie Hargrove
1) I'd mount the tv onto the wall where the outlet is, OR get a console table to put it on against the outlet wall. 2) I would position the two chairs in front of the window, in a somewhat kitty corner fashion, so that they each provide visitors a clear view of the tv. I'd put a round accent table between the two chairs. They would still allow light to come into the room, and wouldn't block the view of the outside. 3) Leave the sofa where it is because it takes advantage of the views of the fireplace, tv, window and visitors who will sit in the chairs. 4) I feel white is the wrong color choice for the rug, and that the rug is too big for the space. It looks like a big, white hole in the already small livingroom area. 5) I would put a colorful piece of artwork, or a big mirror with a colorful frame on the mantlepiece. 6) Since all the furniture is angular, I'd consider getting a round, leather coffee table/ottoman to break up the lines and create a softer flow to the space. It would make it more inviting. Then the ottoman should be closer to the sofa so it is accessible for beverages etc. Put some magazines, a throw blanket and a mirrored tray with pillar candles on it. It's unfortunate that the couch pretty much has to make the pass-through from the kitchen inaccessible, but putting it anywhere else in the room would create barriers to the various focal points.
November 28, 2012 at 4:27AM     
PRO
What's Inside Design Ltd.
Hi Adam,
First of all I think this is a great space and your rug is the perfect size! I would leave your furniture as is, but angle the chairs towards the fireplace. I would also move the coffee table closer to the sofa. (18" away is perfect for traffic and reaching to set down your coffee mug). I would then flank the fireplace with the TV and balance the other side with storage and shelving. (Drawing to follow)
November 29, 2012 at 6:43AM   
PRO
What's Inside Design Ltd.
Here's an option I drew up for a client that I think would work perfectly for your space too:
November 29, 2012 at 7:01AM     
Jayme H.
The chairs need to be grouped together with a different table inbetween. Walls a warmer color. I don't like the tv in the corner/takes away from focal point of fireplace. I like built ins on both sides of fireplaces for t.v.'s, and other things. You do have nice things/just need a few changes-good luck!
November 29, 2012 at 7:24AM   
Debbie Kerxhalli
It would be more cost effective to change the wall color than buy new furniture. Something more neutral to complete your existing furniture colors. I love your chairs. If you're like me, you probably don't want to block the window, but given the layout of your room, I think it would be best to place the couch in front of the windows (if there's room, leave a little walk area behind the couch), position the 2 chairs next to each other where the couch is now with a small table in between them or coffee table front (again not sure of exact space available). TV moved to the right on the only solid wall in your room. This way it can be viewed from couch and chairs. Also it does not compete as focal point with fireplace. If you have or can purchase a larger console, then you can dress up that wall a bit more and maybe add some floor plants (with maybe an up light behind it) or small shelves on the wall with the TV. Adding some pictures on the walls on either side of the fireplace might be a good idea, maybe in oval or round frames so everything is not square or rectangular. Hope this helps. You've got lots of great ideas here.
November 30, 2012 at 11:46AM     
PRO
Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
Like so many of the suggestions you've been given - sure you do too. First thought was to lower the mantle/new mantle (check photos in houzz) - great place for TV. Goodbye to green walls, curtains must be longer and straight panels, coffee table must be accessible for use so regardless, place near sofa - try out a few of the arrangements mentioned and see what looks best to you - especially as it looks like an open floor plan from kitchen - You have some good pieces - repost after you have started for additional ideas!

November 30, 2012 at 12:10PM