Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
wooden ceiling
enkbu
November 27, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I really dislike the wooden ceiling in my house.So any ideas on what do i do with until I am able to completely get rid of it?

Thanks!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Stanton Designs-online design services
If you can't remove them at this time...then I suggest painting them a light color to open up this space. The wood tones of the ceiling and the floor shrink this space.
2 Likes   November 27, 2012 at 5:31PM
nevadan
It's awful..... get rid of it now. Why waste money fussing around with it.
0 Likes   November 27, 2012 at 5:43PM
fairviewbonnie
Paint the ceiling white, get an off white area rug, take the curtains down and try some sort of blinds or roman shades on the windows. Replace the pillows with some navy blue ones.
1 Like   November 27, 2012 at 5:53PM
fairviewbonnie
Oh, also Change out the ceiling light with a fan.
0 Likes   November 27, 2012 at 5:55PM
lefty47
HI -- Your best to remove it now . temporary fixes is a waste of money and time. Do it right from the start.
0 Likes   November 27, 2012 at 5:59PM
hjatlantic
I think its the best part of the room!
0 Likes   November 27, 2012 at 6:01PM
PRO
The Louver Shop
I would paint the ceiling and walls the same color. It will make less of a contrast and make the room feel bigger. Take the curtain down, add shutters or shades that will also blend into the same color.
1 Like   November 27, 2012 at 6:05PM
PRO
New Again Home Interiors
Honestly, I think the wooden ceilings are the best feature in the room. They are pretty and unique. If you take them out, this room will look like everyone else's. Have you considered replacing the tile with something lighter instead? A natural travertine type tile would be so pretty. I would also remove the curtain/sheer panels on the windows, the shelves from under the windows, and replace the cabinets and light fixture with something more updated.
2 Likes   November 27, 2012 at 6:06PM
defever
Regular paint is cheap, or you could try a textured paint. Acoustical tiles aren't horribly expensive (but they can be ugly and dating). I'd recommend calling a drywall company and get a quote for putting sheet rock up. A reputable firm could have it done in a couple of days.
1 Like   November 27, 2012 at 6:10PM
enkbu
the thing is we have a newborn baby and can't do major work for now.

In terms of painting, are there any chemical-free products that you can suggest? Also, would it require sanding prior to painting the damn thing? Is it diy-able or should I keep my hands of it (I'm not very handy, but i try).

thanks for the suggestions so far guys!
0 Likes   November 27, 2012 at 6:11PM
PRO
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
I would NOT paint the ceilings - as with anything, if you have dark on the ceilings, you need to bring light and life into the space with something else. Go lighter area rug, lighter upholstered furniture, light or white paint on the walls - try this first before painting the ceiling.

Paint those cross beams a darker espresso wood colour as well, that sickly yellow is awful...maybe even clad these beams in rich dark cedar wood, then stain it natural.

Notice in both pictures they have either white or light butter yellow walls.
Get rid of the drapes - they are too granny looking - go for Duettes or Silhouette window treatments.
Get a great creamy white area rug.
Paint the beam or clad it in cedar for more wood.
Paint your coffee table.
Get rid of the black leafy toss cushions and go for something more neutral, natural that ties in the orangey red terracotta floor.

This would be an amazing transformation with these things - good luck!
2 Likes   November 27, 2012 at 6:21PM
PRO
New Again Home Interiors
Yes! What Marie said! I love the ceilings, you need to lighten up other places. If the budget is tight, try slipcovers for the sofa and love seat, and an area rug.
0 Likes   November 27, 2012 at 6:25PM
PRO
Designing Richmond
Hello,

The ceilings are the best feature here... Taking down the ceiling is messy and costly. If you absolutly hate the color... painted will soften... and give you interesting texture.

Your real issues are your furnishings and curtains... it will be much less costly to change them out than removal of the ceiling!

Keeping the ceiling the same... you can go with warm lodgy furnishings, large area carpet... if you paint white... you can go fresh!...

A good designer can give you a wonderful new perspective and personally help you shop!

Visit http://designingrichmondhome.com and check out how to work with a designer... it's informative...

Good Luck! Your room has great bones! A two hour consultation will do you wonders and save you a great deal of time and frustration!

Linda Berg - Designing Richmond
0 Likes   November 27, 2012 at 6:28PM
bridgetlampson
Totally agree with Designing Richmond. The ceilings are great. My husband and I are remodeling our home and actually just installed wood to the cathedral ceilings then painted them white. We will be adding reclaimed beams. Just type into Houzz "white wood ceilings" . Maybe seeing them painted will change your mind :)
1 Like   November 27, 2012 at 6:41PM
PRO
Michael Tauber Architecture
Initial reaction - low ceiling which appears dark - paint to make lighter. Good luck
0 Likes   November 27, 2012 at 6:57PM
Mia E
I like the wood (knotty pine I think) the ceiling is nice, the beam's the wrong colour, curtains are a thumb down, the light globe not working well. You may feel better about the room once you have your baby, All the best. :)
0 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 9:19PM
lovebalancedlife
I agree with all who are in favor of keeping the cilling. As some other people who answred, I am taking down my : "buble Stacco" cilings.and installing wood. I do have wood cilling in the bathroom and will only paint it white to soften and open up the small bathroom. lesson to be learned:"the grass is alwlays greener on the other side"
0 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 10:01PM
lovebalancedlife
Forgot to mantion "do you know the price to get cilling likeyours if one does not have and want to install it? give me your cilling and I will give you mine LOL
0 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 10:04PM
beattieboggs
I notice that the ceiling is fairly low at the wall height and was wondering if you are feeling oppressed by the color above your head? If so.........Paint them white but give them a coat of sealant first.
0 Likes   November 30, 2012 at 1:21AM