Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Should I put curtains on this room?
Yanelys Thompson
November 27, 2012 in Design Dilemma
What colors should I used for upholstery in the furniture to meet a contemporary look.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenthumb2
Only cover the windows for: better insulation against weather, to prevent the sun from ruining fabrics, and/or for privacy of course.

There are some wonderful examples of contemporary looks in various architectural style homes here on houzz. go to: photos, family room, "mediterranean" but you can also search other homes styles for color groupings. At least, I do this to help find colors I find appealing.

Best way to begin is to do a list: I want to keep, I'm willing to recover or change accessories. Eclectic searches may be helpful as well. Make an ideabook and when you find something that speaks to you, add it to your ideabook for reference.

I've noticed the use of solids in the more updated room re-designs. Usually, it comes down to pairing down to your favorites and then sometimes adjusting with color, or fabric. I love your dog. :=)

I'll post a pic or two for you. Spanish Oaks Hacienda

with draperies:Open Beam Living Room...notice wall color.

look at all examples in this page. this is a good link. http://www.houzz.com/photos/mediterranean/window-treatments-/p/40
1 Like   November 27, 2012 at 11:42PM
greenthumb2
:=) have a great time finding the right ideas... enjoy,
0 Likes   November 27, 2012 at 11:59PM
Yanelys Thompson
Yes I definitely want the solid colors, but is making the whole combination what I find difficult. I will take your suggestion of making a list, it will make it all easier. Thank you, my dog, Rico, is so sweet. He says hi!
0 Likes   November 28, 2012 at 12:00AM
greenthumb2
Hi Yanelys,

I too, love color and many different styles. Your rooms are pretty close already. If you can draw, or use photoshop, download your photo into a program which will allow you to move colors around. It will help. I like how your home has personality. I've noticed for rooms where we want to have family photos, sometimes they are printed in a sepia or black and white and remounted with coordinating color of the room. But, honestly, too perfect isn't real. Give rico a hug.

Someone with design background may pop up on houzz and do a mock up of your room and colorize it for you. Oh, yes, a lighting designer can really enhance your space. If your electric is expensive, you can opt for solar near your window areas or LED options. Takes some real searching and planning, but what a way to spend time!
1 Like   November 28, 2012 at 12:14AM
Yanelys Thompson
Greenthumb2,

Oh you are just amazing, thank you for your wonderful comments, photoshop is exactly what I need, because I have an idea of the colors, but I'm not sure of how it would look. Just made my night, muchas gracias!!!
1 Like   November 28, 2012 at 12:30AM
Billie G
@Yanelys, I think your home looks just lovely as it is. And I also love your dog. We had a golden retriever that looked similar.:-)
1 Like   November 28, 2012 at 1:21AM
PRO
Octavian Ungureanu, Architect
I just love the way this space looks now! I wouldn't change a thing!
0 Likes   November 28, 2012 at 2:59AM
PRO
Octavian Ungureanu, Architect
Even the dog has a great position!
2 Likes   November 28, 2012 at 3:00AM
michigammemom
Hi Yanelys, I love your traditional room as it is, but if you want a more contemporary look, you might consider a more neutral palette and furnishings with sleek lines. Here is a room with similar windows decorated in a monochromatic palette of creams and tans for an elegant but more modern look.
2 Likes   November 28, 2012 at 3:19AM
lizaf
Love that last idea. Your room has so may strong beautiful features that a much more simple look and modern neutral colours would help them shine through. Also some of your accessories are too small for the scale of the room. Less pieces but more statement pieces would modernize the space. Good luck!
2 Likes   November 28, 2012 at 4:47AM
greenthumb2
Avoid sacrificing your personality in this room. Retain as much of you in at as possible. We can have a room that looks lived in and beautiful. Some color really speaks your language. Keep that one and work around it. :=) Happy Full Moon.
1 Like   November 28, 2012 at 8:53AM
Yanelys Thompson
Hey guys thank you for your comments I appreciate it. Lisaf, are you referring to the furniture when you mentioned the accessories were too small for the place. Do you believe I need two big sofa instead of separate chairs. My question is should I do a neutral upholstery on the furniture or get new ones.
0 Likes   November 28, 2012 at 1:02PM