Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Material surrounding fireplace?
remyd
November 28, 2012 in Photo Questions
What is the material surrounding the fireplace? Is it a wood-burning fireplace? I was told I couldn't put drywall around the outside of the fireplace--is this plaster or painted plywood or something else? Thanks in advance!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
I'm going to jump in ahead of the architect, but I can answer the question generically, not related to this specific project.

Manufactured fireplaces, gas and wood, require a certain clearance to combustible materials, and drywall is combustible. In fact, I've seen the paper burn right off of drywall that was installed incorrectly around a fireplace. Generally speaking, if we have to cover the sheet metal face of the fireplace to create a look as shown in the photo above, we use non-combustible cement board (the one without styrofoam or paper in it) to overlay the face of the fireplace and plaster over that to create a smooth surface.

The same thing goes for masonry fireplaces, except that the masonry is already a good substrate for plaster, so you can three-coat plaster directly over it with expanded metal lath instead of cement board.

Here is an example where the fireplace is finished right up to the opening with non-combustible material:
November 28, 2012 at 6:29am     
remyd
Thank you Coastroad! I'm trying to figure out the best way to update the floor-to-ceiling painted brick of my wraparound corner fireplace. For a clueless new homeowner such as myself, this information is very helpful!
November 28, 2012 at 6:43am     
PRO
COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
Gotcha. There are a number of ways to skin that proverbial cat.

Post a photo or send one to me at tom@coastroadonline.com and I can help with some recommendations.
November 28, 2012 at 6:57am   
More Discussions
Ensuite shower floor replacement
I need to replace the tiles in our shower floor due...
NEW FRONT DOOR COLOUR
HELP, I have no idea what colour to paint my front...
Really struggling with this small dining room!
I am starting a new thread with updated pictures for...
difficult bathroom layout - really squeezed for ideas ... literally
I am designing a bathroom for a client who would ideally...
Need rug idea
Not sure if this rug is right because it is so bold....
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.