Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with extra space behind couch
Porsche Jones
November 28, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Our living room is pretty small but our furniture fits nicely in front of the television. The issue is the space behind the couch because it is empty space. We don't have children so putting play stuff back there is not an option, we will use it for a xmas tree placement this year, but other than that, no idea. Also, there is a widow on that side, and right when you walk into the house, the open space is on the right...so something has to go there!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
TanCalGal
Not sure I am following this. Do you mean the 3 cushion sofa that is on the left side of this photo? I cannot see the space you mention too well. There appears to be a window with a panel curtain behind this sofa?
I like to use 3 panel screens to fill space and add height to a room, but I'm not sure if this is what you are asking?
1 Like   November 28, 2012 at 6:31PM
PRO
EB Interiors
please post more pics so we can see the space your talking about...
a narrow console table can work behind the sofa and you can put picture frames on it.
0 Likes   November 28, 2012 at 6:45PM
khanyam
A few floating shelves attached to that bare wall making the corner in the photo would work. Hang them in a vertical arrangement, spaced according to the objects you are going to display on them.
0 Likes   November 28, 2012 at 7:00PM
Porsche Jones
I appreciate all of the tips! Here are some more pictures so you can get a better idea of what we're working with!
0 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 11:15AM
Porsche Jones
Another!
0 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 11:15AM
Porsche Jones
Another!
0 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 11:16AM
Porsche Jones
There is about 5 ft from the window to the sofa!
0 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 11:16AM
Porsche Jones
Other suggestions are welcome :)
0 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 11:17AM
bunnybaby19
How about an entry way table/bench with a mirror or picture hanging on the wall. Or a tall bookshelf...
1 Like   November 29, 2012 at 11:25AM
judianna20
Why do you have the sofa pulled out 5 ' from the window?
0 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 11:33AM
baxendrx1
Put a sofa table behind the couch with a couple of lamps, or one lamp and some cool accessories. Change the curtains to a medium or large pattern with some blue to match the walls.
1 Like   November 29, 2012 at 11:51AM
TanCalGal
I'd add a "half moon" shape, demi-lune table there in wood the height of the window sill. Or almost any other narrow console table would be fine. (photo demi-lune table) Entry

This is a front window? A lamp on the table on a timer would be cheery from outside at night or a few pieces of glass to catch the morning light (or both).

Add a tall plant to the corner to fill up the corner space. Pacific Heights Home Bedroom
0 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 11:55AM
kathrynwashburn
I have a large REAL ficus that I put in a space very similar, it goes outside in the summer to revive but stays inside during the winter. It is very large and trimmed so it hits the ceiling and goes outward. I think it brings a nature inspired kind of organic feel to the room along with a very large terrarium (yes, they are back) and some cloches filled with orchids(small ones)
0 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 12:02PM
Kathleen Mckenna
Porche is that a 1/2 wall as you walk in the door? I guess that's part of the dilemma arrangement wise right? A nice Queen Palm in the corner with a solar up light for a little drama at night ~~ maybe make the area a reading nook? small comfy chair ottoman and reading light. A console table in front of the window is another idea instead of directly behind couch, you've got nice light coming in there use it :) A cluster of mirrors on the large wall would be nice as well as bounce light around the room. I don't want to assume that you celebrate Christmas but if you do it would be a perfect place for a tree also :) okay that's my 2 cents worth lol
0 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 12:05PM
Porsche Jones
thank you everyone, i am writing all of these suggestions down RIGHT NOW!!! also, the sofa is 5 ft from the window because of the wall the entertainment center is on, if we were to push the sofa back, you wouldn't be able to see the television. ALSO, yes! we are going to put up a floating shelf/mirror tonight actually on the entry wall :) I appreciate all of the help. keep it comin!
1 Like   November 29, 2012 at 12:10PM
Porsche Jones
Here is another view of the room!
0 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 12:13PM
PRO
karen paul interiors
Miu Console Table New Curved Upholstered Chair Bering and James White Gold Abstract Art One option would be to place a narrow desk behind the sofa with a chair and hang a piece of art on the the wall at the desk/chair location. This will give you interest at eye level, an extra chair to pull up when needed and a desk/console for light/accessories, etc.
3 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 12:14PM
bhelmore
Can you remove the half wall by the entry way? If so, you would have enough room to set up a small reading nook there with a bookcase on the long wall. Or two small chairs, table with lamp inbetween, and a short bookcase behind the love seat. My concern is whatever you do, will you have enough room to access it the way the furniture is arranged now?

Fill the space between the sofa and the love seat with a square table, much larger than what you have now, and make the lamp important - larger and brighter, an accent piece to draw the eye away from that empty space.
0 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 12:46PM
emobley1
I agree with the idea of a desk and nice upolstered chair. You could have a lamp on the side next to the half wall so that you have light dispersed throughout the room. The upolstered chair could be used as additional seating in the room. Anchor the area with a small rug and a tree for height in the corner. What do you think?
0 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 1:23PM
Aja Mazin
Sofa table or desk with chair.
0 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 1:49PM
Aja Mazin
You might want to remove the stuff from the floor.
0 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 1:50PM
charleee
I like the idea of a sofa table, and since the window is right there how about some great Boston ferns?
0 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 1:57PM
Aja Mazin
A window seat for storage and seating and a sofa table!
0 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 3:58PM
PRO
Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
Plant/plants, sofa table, or reading nook - all were my first thoughts too - you have some great suggestions - we want to see the finish! Pretty please?
0 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 4:12PM