powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
What type of counter tops are the most durable?
kathimark
November 28, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I am planning a new kitchen and need a durable counter top that will not stain, can withstand high heat and is low maintenance. I do a lot of canning and baking and can really make a mess!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
charleee
Ceramic tile with very tight grout joints should work fine. If your grout gets stained you can clean it with fresh orange juice, works every time!
1 Like   November 28, 2012 at 2:07PM
PRO
Centaur Interiors
Hello!

I have found that Corian is a very durable and beautiful countertop choice. While you cannot set hot pans directly on it, it is heat resistant and have very good stain resistance. http://www2.dupont.com/Surfaces/en_US/products/corian/corian_care.html

Good luck!
0 Likes   November 28, 2012 at 2:12PM
PRO
Cabell Design Studio
Hello KathiMark,

You might check into a material that is relatively new to the market of countertops, Quartz. You may know of it by some of the brand names that manufacture Quartz; Silestone, Cambria.

Quartz is a very hard, non porous stone. It is actually harder than granite and marble, and is not a composite of various stones and minerals, like granite and marble. As a result it is extremely durable, heat resistant and stain resistant. However, on the scale of countertops it can be expensive. You might try obtaining quotes from different manufacturer's and in differing colors to obtain a reasonable estimate. It is available in a few dozen colors.

Take a look at a few Houzz examples of Quartz countertops:

Cambria Bellingham from The Waterstone Collection

1960's Lake Oswego Home

South Lyon Traditional Kitchen

Custom Kitchen #1

Best of luck with your kitchen and please let us know if we can be of any assistance,

Elizabeth
1 Like   November 28, 2012 at 2:39PM
movethisnotthat
quartz is a must have IMHO
0 Likes   November 28, 2012 at 2:49PM
PRO
City Cabinet Center, San Diego
Sounds like you are looking for Quartz materials. As said above, this man made stone has all the upsides of granite and then some. In my opinion some quartz materials have dropped in price and are competitive with granite. Also it depends on the dimensions of your kitchen, but some quartz lines offer half slabs or jumbo slabs. Just try to use up as much material as you can to avoid wasting. Obviously, the style that you prefer is high priority, but making the kitchen work with limited waste is its own challenge and also very rewarding.
0 Likes   November 28, 2012 at 2:53PM
PRO
Ann Alderson
Go Quartz! It's gorgeous, safe and comes in lots of colors. Good luck!
0 Likes   November 28, 2012 at 3:06PM
olldcan
I have to agree and count another in on the vote for Quartz, you won't be disappointed.
0 Likes   November 28, 2012 at 3:19PM
Margaret Phillips
Quartz!! All the beauty you want without the headache
0 Likes   November 28, 2012 at 3:22PM
Kitchen Mama
quartz
0 Likes   November 28, 2012 at 3:39PM
More Discussions
Need help for my living room
Hello, I need help with the coffee table and rug for...
Living Room advice, next step?
The couch needs new pillows, and I would like a new...
Need help with kitchen upgrade
We put in this kitchen in 10 yrs ago thinking we would...
How should I fix the closet?
I bought new closet from Ikea and tried to put it into...
Exterior paint color
We are about to begin construction of our new home...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.