Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with furniture ideas/placement
knipp
November 28, 2012 in Design Dilemma
This is a picture of my sitting room off of our kitchen; I currently have a sectional that I used in a prior house, but not sure what would look best. Any ideas on furniture and placement would be appriciated.
Thank you1
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
charleee
Hi, how many people do you need to seat? I would like to see four club chairs surrounding the fireplace, maybe recliners?
November 28, 2012 at 4:36PM   
movethisnotthat
could you post more pictures of the room so we have a better idea, along with the size of the room, houzzers will be all over this, ready for some fun ? !!
November 28, 2012 at 4:53PM     
inkwitch
I rather like the arrangement you have at present, although TV-mounted-over-FP is kinda hard on the neck for viewing.

An area rug would provide an "anchor" for the arrangement. Can't see the coffee table.
November 28, 2012 at 5:01PM   
PRO
Marina Klima Goldberg - Klima Design Group
I agree with inkwitch. If you want to change the sectional and a big chair with ottoman, you can choose sectional with flat back and put a narrow sofa table behind. I am not a fan of large bulky chairs with ottomans either. Instead, you can use a smaller scale recliner, like JessicaCharlesFurnitue type and turn it to the TV in the opposite corner.
November 28, 2012 at 5:51PM   
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
What jumps out at me is the window coverings. Why are they not hung above the top portion of the window. It's totally jarring! Otherwise, I agree that it's hard to know what to do with your room without more pictures. It does look like you could angle the sectional back from it's current location.
November 28, 2012 at 5:57PM   
Elizabeth Dobbs
I love my big wicker sectional that's similar to yours. In my TV room white curtains prevent the black windows at night problem. I've had red rooms and now find soft gray easier to live with. As mentioned, a rug would help. I went with b&w zebra print that makes the wood and wicker have a nice contrast.
November 28, 2012 at 6:23PM   
knipp
Thanks everyone. Here area few more pictures. The room is about 16 X 9. We could use at least seating for 4 (it's not our main tv room just while we are hanging out in the kitchen. Do you think the window treatments cut the windows too much? I was trying to show the transom but could move to top. As far as the sectional, not sure it it's too large. I can take away one of the sections. thanks!
November 28, 2012 at 6:24PM     
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
Are you certain that the room is only 9' wide? It certainly looks bigger than that.
November 29, 2012 at 6:21AM   
Kim D
Hi, the sectional looks nice, but I am wondering if the TV viewing is too high to be comfortable. The other thing for me is the wall color in that area seems off. I'd rather see a light blue or a steel blue, with the wicker sectional that could be a nice beachy feeling. I am saying that knowing that the other walls are in a gold/yellowish tone. I have that color with a blue accent wall and it looks great.
November 29, 2012 at 9:57AM   
PRO
EM Global Design
Hi. Write us to Email: em.globaldesign@gmail.com and we will happy to help you
November 29, 2012 at 10:14AM   
bhelmore
I like your sectional, but would prefer puffier cushions on it. The matching chair is too "fat' for that area. You will need a taller chair perhaps covered i n one of the fabrics that you use on your pillows on the sectional. A taller and smaller chair will let you use a functionally sized coffee table - try glass if you want it to disappear or float.

The only thing wrong with the window treatments is the color. They would look better if they matched the trim.

Yes, yes, yes to an area rug!
November 29, 2012 at 2:13PM   
bhelmore
EM Global Design should be banned for trying to use this forum for commercial use!
November 29, 2012 at 2:18PM     
Darzy
How about this...I'd schooch the couch to infront of the window and take out the center section of the sofa. This will bring the grouping more in front of the tv. Plus, the coffee table looks small for the sectional, but won't if the one piece is out. Use the piece you took out as an armless chair where the too big chair/ottoman is and face it towards the sofa. Put the little end table in the corner window area beside the new armless chair is. An area rug under the coffee table will cozy it up too. I would definately put the window blinds the same height as the slider. Do you have a different spot to use the chair/ottoman? : )
November 29, 2012 at 2:30PM   
Darzy
PS..you may even use the ottoman as the coffee table, or ottoman for the armless chair?
November 29, 2012 at 2:31PM   
PRO
Julia Wakely Interiors
Yes I agree with Darzy using the ottoman as a coffee table for the sectional and separating the sectional to make 1 armless occasional chair. You could even move that armless section to a bedroom and get a small pale turquoise slipcovered chair as an occasional chair. I find the autumnal colours too dark for the coastal rattan sofa. I would paint the walls an ivory or pale blue. I like your blinds but I would add side panels in the colour of the walls to add some softness. A sisal rug in at least 8x10 would ground the room. Have fun!
November 29, 2012 at 9:20PM     
PRO
Julia Wakely Interiors
Yes I agree with Darzy using the ottoman as a coffee table for the sectional and separating the sectional to make 1 armless occasional chair. You could even move that armless section to a bedroom and get a small pale turquoise slipcovered chair as an occasional chair. I find the autumnal colours too dark for the coastal rattan sofa. I would paint the walls an ivory or pale blue. I like your blinds but I would add side panels in the colour of the walls to add some softness. A sisal rug in at least 8x10 would ground the room. Have fun!
November 29, 2012 at 9:20PM   
susanken
You need to open room up... get rid of sectional and go w couch( need a place to stretch out) and 2 chairs. The chair you have is too bulky.get a bright,warm rug and get some fabirc shades.
November 30, 2012 at 4:36AM   
knipp
Thank you all for some great ideas let me play
Around with your recommendations and I will
Repost some pics.
November 30, 2012 at 6:05AM     
knipp
Ok. I'm back to this project; So, I'm thinking a new sofa, 2 swivel chairs and a center ottoman?
I'm leaning towards corner panels to match the wall color and painting the walls a color that blends with my BM "Cork" color in the adjoining kitchen.
Thoughts?
January 30, 2013 at 6:39PM