Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help for my Family Room
designcanuck
November 28, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I am currently redecorating my family room. I desperately need shelf space and a small work/desk area. I am considering building built-ins (under the windows or along the wall on the right hand side) or using Ikea shelving products and building around them to make them look customized. I may replace the area rug too. Any ideas to create a modern look?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Darzy
I think more pictures would help with ideas for your space. Is there a dining area as well?
0 Likes   November 28, 2012 at 10:20PM
designcanuck
This space is next to my kitchen.
0 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 5:17PM
designcanuck
Here is another photo. As you can see, my books are stacked on top of the furniture.

Any suggestions?
0 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 5:22PM
PRO
EB Interiors
you can definately use a pop of color in here, from what i see there are only three walls? built ins would look great underneath the windows...like that idea. what about painting an accent color on the wall behind the couch and window wall? maybe a nice blue to offset your charcoal couch, switch out the area rug to bring in some more of the blue and lighter greys and add some accent pillows and a throw. you can also use a neat cube/accent table and some decorative pieces on the sill.floor lamps will also make a diff.

bm denim wash -accent walls
metro gray other wall

rug http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Gold-Blue-Contemporary-Area-Rug-67-x-96/6219843/product.html

good luck
0 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 5:57PM
Aggie Purvinska
Do Black Built ins on the entire wall, and use frosted glass doors above where the windows are, but cover the windows with the builtins floor to ceiling, replace the console with two chairs and an end table. The built in on the right will have retractable doors and will be your desk. Then you can pull up one of the chairs and work. Get a simpler rug. Couldn't find a good picture of the built ins, will have to be custom designed.

[houzz=Modernica Dowel Arm Shell Chair]

[houzz=Saarinen End Table - Room & Board]

[houzz=Ombré Dye Rug, Midnight]

[houzz=Central Austin Residence: Interior]
0 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 6:23PM
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
The fireplace wall I would paint a dark charcoal color, not black, but almost. Even the trim around the windows would be painted almost black, and the window shades would have to match.

Then I believe that the wall that needs the bookcases is the right hand wall. And because we have painted the fireplace wall an almost black color, I'd line the right hand wall with white Ikea Billy bookcases with the added height units and the bookcase lighting that they offer. Your desk would be included in this space. Ikea offers many creative desk solutions. The left wall could possibly be painted a brick red.

I'd throw some pillows onto your sofa. One would be a white Mongolian lamb pillow such as the one below from West Elm. Another would be an antique kilim pillow, see below. If you want to replace your rug, I'd suggest a kilim, and I'd angle the rug in the room for interest.

You definitely have to work on your lighting. Overhead lighting is not the answer to atmosphere or romance. Acquire a dimmable floorlamp or two, plus table lamps. I see you have one table lamp hidden in the mess on that console on the right wall of your photo. Well, it will move when behind the sofa when you have bookcases there, but do, please, add a couple of small lamps on the bookshelves. You may have to cut holes in the back of the bookcases for wires.
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID Mongolian Lamb Pillow Morrocan Berber Kilim Pillows PB Found Vintage Kilim Rugs
1 Like   November 29, 2012 at 6:30PM
designcanuck
Thank you for all of the amazing suggestions!!!

Satin Stripe: Thanks for your comments. I like the painting suggestion. Unfortunately, the blue would not work because my kitchen is red and modern and adjacent to this room. But, I do agree that I need more colour.

Aggie Designs: Thanks for your suggestions, but I cannot cover the windows because they face west and provide light. I cannot replace my sectional with two chairs because two chairs will not provide ample seating for my family when they watch tv.

Carolyn Albert-Kincl Design: I like the idea of painting the fireplace wall a dark charcoal colour but I am worried it will make the room appear smaller. The window is south-facing. The Billy bookcase idea is good too, but I feel it will not look "polished" from the side. I have bought those bookcases over the years and they can look a bit cheap. Any suggestions to build around them to make them appear built-in? I also agree with the pillows and lighting. At the moment, there are 6 spotlights overhead.
0 Likes   November 30, 2012 at 8:53AM
PRO
Certainly you could build around the bookcases to make them look built-in, with impressive pilasters between the bookcases and crown moulding above. In the second picture below, Billy bookcases were used with nice base and crown added. Or you could have custom bookcases made. Painting the fireplace wall will not make the room look smaller. It will make it look more interesting. Click on the pictures to enlarge them.Rocky Ledge LIbrary bookcases
1 Like   November 30, 2012 at 9:08AM
Darzy
Is there room to put a parsons table behind the sofa as your workspace? This will add extra seating/table for guests as well. Then, the ikea bookcase as Carolynn suggested, adorned with the moulding to make them look custom. I would have closed cabinets in the bookcase as well to hide the work clutter stuff when you need to!

0 Likes   November 30, 2012 at 12:19PM
designcanuck

Would something like this work on the right wall? I prefer doors to hide the clutter. What do you think?
0 Likes   November 30, 2012 at 2:21PM
designcanuck

Or...would this shelving system work better?
0 Likes   November 30, 2012 at 2:23PM
designcanuck

Could this work under the windows?
1 Like   November 30, 2012 at 2:27PM
PRO
If you had a higher ceiling and windows of a different shape, plus a longer wall and no TV above the fireplace. What makes the room in the picture is the strong vertical line of the fireplace playing against the horizontal lines of the cabinets and bookshelves. The ceiling height helps the fireplace look commanding. If your ceilings were 10' high, and you moved your TV, then it would be a possibility.
0 Likes   November 30, 2012 at 2:46PM
decoenthusiaste
Posted this early this a.m. If you like it, let me know and I'll comment further.

1 Like   November 30, 2012 at 3:03PM
PRO
Deco, it's a great picture and I think I'll have to eat my words! I'd love to hear your comments.
1 Like   November 30, 2012 at 3:06PM
anitajoyce
Built-ins under the windows is a great idea. The fireplace area is flat, the built-ins will help define and accent the fireplace area and make the windows more interesting.
2 Likes   November 30, 2012 at 3:08PM
Darzy
deco's picture is great but I don't think works here. The FP and tv are flush with the wall. The cabinets will "stick out" past the FP. Maybe it will work?
1 Like   November 30, 2012 at 3:18PM
judianna20

Everyone onboard for this. What if she runs a mantel across the entire wall. She tapes off three distinct areas. The tv/fireplace area is painted a light color and the window areas are dark? Designcanuck puts the sectional against the solid wall and puts some fabric on the window?

Designcanuck, sit back in a chair and have a Manhattan while I talk around you. :>)
1 Like   November 30, 2012 at 3:23PM
Darzy
I like it judy. Designcanuck is also looking for a workspace. How about simply putting a parsons table on the wall and flanking with ikea cabinets? You can "frame" and connect the cabinets on the top with moulding and add a light for task, or to highlight a great piece of art? When not used as workspace, could be for a dry bar or hors de ourves? Maybe two stools for guests under the table, and the "office" chair in the corner when not used for the work desk? this is sort of the idea..but not the right style.

1 Like   November 30, 2012 at 3:44PM
judianna20
Darzy, that is a great idea. Love your photo. I am saving that pix to my ideabook…for the future condo.
1 Like   November 30, 2012 at 3:59PM
designcanuck
Carolyn: I agree with you comments. My ceilings are low and there will be no strong vertical focal point with a tv therefore the John Lum fireplace and shelving idea may not work.

Decoenthusiaste: I really like your idea with the photo you posted but I was wondering how I could make it look more modern.

Judyg: I LOVE the photo you posted with the mantel. Very cool idea! I think you have provided an amazing solution for that wall. Thanks a million! What would you suggest for the wall on the right? I still need to place bookcases and a work area.

Darzy: Your Parsons table and Ikea cabinet is good but I am not sure where I should place the table. If the cabinets are placed too close to the window on the right then it will block out light and if I place the cabinets closer to the entrance of the room then there may not be enough floor space to enter the area.
0 Likes   November 30, 2012 at 10:05PM
Darzy
I'd like to add I think Carolyn Albert-Kincl idea of the almost black fireplace wall would be stunning. Imagine the wall black with only the fire..or TV..lovely! Desgincanuck..you're really right about the possibility of not enough space to enter the room with the parsons table with bookcases. Sooo,,,you may realize that a workspace/desk is not really feasible in the space without being a bit crowded. Perhaps your workspace can be elsewhere?
1 Like   November 30, 2012 at 10:50PM
designcanuck

Can I build something like this on the right wall? Thoughts?
0 Likes   December 1, 2012 at 1:49PM
PRO
I hope not. It seems needlessly complicated and the projecting sections would take up much more space than is needed for bookcases and an 18" deep desk section.
1 Like   December 1, 2012 at 2:33PM
Darzy
You could get something like this in a modern version. I like that you can close off the clutter.

0 Likes   December 1, 2012 at 2:50PM
ninafw
Buy those really cool modern free standing shelves where you stack books on there sides you also buy wall mounted versions
0 Likes   December 1, 2012 at 3:12PM
designcanuck
Thanks Darzy.

Ninafw: What do the free standing shelves you are referring to look like?
0 Likes   December 1, 2012 at 3:14PM
decoenthusiaste
Hey all! Been away from the computer for Sabbath! What I posted originally had a comment - don't know what happened to that! Thought the sofa should move to the other wall and the desk/work area should go under the window for light. Was imagining that the entire FP area would be built out a bit to include a mantel, so I don't think the flat wall would be an issue with the right plan. To make it more modern, use different window treatments, pared down shelving with less wood trim, maybe use some black like judyg's pic, since that's a major theme color here. You could use some bling, so you could surround the FP with copper or the metallic and do some ot the same trim on the shelves. I'd reconsider the area rug, depending on which direction the FP wall takes
0 Likes   December 1, 2012 at 3:49PM
designcanuck
Thanks again for the great suggestions!
0 Likes   December 3, 2012 at 4:15PM
PRO
You are indeed very welcome. Please let us know what you decide to do as we are all very interested.
Thanks. Carolyn
0 Likes   December 3, 2012 at 5:30PM